Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Rolling Stone Magazine: Mick Jagger: 'I'm Not Thinking About Retirement'
Posted by: Bluesstone ()
Date: April 7, 2015 16:37

Re: Rolling Stone Magazine: Mick Jagger: 'I'm Not Thinking About Retirement'
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: April 7, 2015 16:44

Nice read. It gives us fans a lot of hopes in many ways. As was said many times before - this is a great time to be a Rolling Stones' fan.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: April 7, 2015 16:53

Late autumn, ok!

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: April 7, 2015 16:55

Need new CD boys

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 7, 2015 17:24

I don't see any unreleased songs on the track listing.

MJ No, there isn't. [Laughs] I looked very hard, but I didn't find any. The truth of the matter is…Now I'm not the greatest Rolling Stones historian, but Exile on Main Street is the one after Sticky Fingers, right?

Right.

MJ So then, in the Exile period, we used quite a few tracks that were recorded in the Sticky Fingers sessions. When we re-released Exile on Main Street, we found others that were not released and we put them on the new package, which was a bit stupid, really. I should've really kept some back, but I didn't really think about it at the time. There was nothing that was unreleased left, unfortunately. I think that's really the truth of the story.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: April 7, 2015 17:25

Just 4 replies here in over an hour and a halfyawning smiley
This is the most interesting and detailed information by the BOSS of the Stones himself (It´s MJ no discussion necessary about this, it´s no Keith - never has been) and all we got is this poor reaction here.
The allergy against the man who is running our band with all his brain, passion and talent since 50years is frightening.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 7, 2015 17:29

Charlie really runs the band...

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: April 7, 2015 17:35

In your fairy tale phantasy and in many romantic fantasies Stones Fans have of their band it´s Charlie or Keith. Or in very unromantic ones it´s even Chuck.
But we all know: It is that never getting slower still fit and healthy man and main and only bandleader Mr. Michael Philip Jagger.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 7, 2015 17:37

Thanks, good to hear it from the horses mouth.

It seems as though if MJ's going to put out a new album, it would be a Stones album ahead of a solo project...that would be good news if it works out.

A tour in the fall might be good timing for a new release.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 7, 2015 18:28

Nice interview.
So Mick phones RS for a chat then?!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 7, 2015 19:04

is it true or did rolling stone take journalistic liberty ?

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: April 7, 2015 19:05

caschimann
This is the most interesting and detailed information by the BOSS of the Stones himself (It´s MJ no discussion necessary about this, it´s no Keith - never has been) and all we got is this poor reaction here.
The allergy against the man who is running our band with all his brain, passion and talent since 50years is frightening.
I am at work very busy will read this later>grinning smiley< Thanks for posting Bluestonesmoking smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 7, 2015 19:08

caschimann

You know, some of us work, and don't have time to sit behind their computer the whole day looking for new messages on iorr.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: April 7, 2015 19:17

grinning smiley And MANY of you laughed at my thread about a "new album". And *some* scoffed at my info about 'not counting out Toronto yet'! (Massey Hall).tongue sticking out smiley

As Jagger said at the R&R Hall of Fame - "For those of you who took the piss, the joke's on you".

CE smoking smiley

Do you envision an end date for this tour?

Well, after the U.S. tour, there's nothing booked. But there are plans for what we'll do in the autumn for gigs, maybe. I don't know about the early autumn, but in the late autumn there's a lot of talk. I haven't booked it yet, but…
(Taken from the Rolling Stone magazine link above).

PS. WHY doe s he say "but" or "maybe" so much? For the same reason I always say "God willing; good health".cool smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-07 19:23 by Cocaine Eyes.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 7, 2015 19:32

treaclefingers

It seems as though if MJ's going to put out a new album, it would be a Stones album ahead of a solo project...that would be good news if it works out.

It is funny or sad or whatever but the timing of Jagger/Richards muse does not quite click. Keith has a solo album ready in the can, and just a while ago Keith claimed that all of his songs are written for Mick, giving the impression that a solo record is always a seondary option. And now Jagger says he has lots of good demos to make a Rolling Stones album, but makes an impression that there are obstacles on the way, and that he might be forced to make a solo album...

Do those guys ever communicate or what?confused smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-07 19:35 by Doxa.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 7, 2015 19:34

It appears to be good news, but both Mick and Keith need to get their heads together to release a new album.

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: April 7, 2015 19:42

Wow! Mick's seriously thinking about a new Stones studio album. Good news!

Pete.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 7, 2015 20:02

Nothing really new (when asked about a new album he already mentioned he had songs back in 2012 and 2013) but a nice read nonetheless, thanks for sharing!

Still being somewhat "diplomatic" about Taylor :
Q : Are you bringing Mick Taylor on this tour?
A : I don't think so. We're not. Not on this tour.

Maybe a future tour then, would have made sense to have him for a SF/ZIP inspired tour but they probably didn't want to get him/fans to think he would now be a permanent guest/backing like say Bernard or Lisa or Tim, or Blondie for a while. Many good/business reasons for that I suppose...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-07 20:18 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 7, 2015 20:08

What a wuss. How many less tickets does he think they'd sell if they did SF straight through? There's enough warhorses interspersed there to keep the yahoos occupied. And so what if a large contingent wanders off to buy beer and t-shirts? Is that space already accounted for with Keith's two numbers? God forbid there wouldn't be time for Sympathy For The Devil.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: April 7, 2015 20:36

Thanks for posting

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 7, 2015 20:48

"Hours after the tour was announced, Jagger called up Rolling Stone to discuss plans for the show, the new Sticky Fingers box set and the possibility of a new Stones album."

He called them up???? There's something going awfully wrong in this world…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-07 20:49 by slewan.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 7, 2015 21:04

jlowe
Nice interview.
So Mick phones RS for a chat then?!

It's pretty obvious that Mick has such a long time relationship with RS that he probably controls and edits these types of interviews down to the punctuation.... as in Executive Producer - Mick Jagger. Still it was nice to read and he addressed some of the questions we've been talking about here on IORR, probably not a coincidence.

A few things stuck out for me. The wording of the question about Taylor...."Are you bringing Mick Taylor on this tour?" Not "Will MT be joining you" or "Will MT be playing with you", almost like "Will you be bringing additional baggage Mr. Jagger?". I may be reading too much into it but it seems an obvious reflection on Jagger's views that they did a big favor to him by bringing him along on the last tour and "carrying" him around the world. eye rolling smiley

The "it must be physically demanding" question seems right out of Mick's playbook. He likes to direct attention to his physical condition. No doubt he spends a lot of time maintaining it and is better fit than most men his age, but I would rather hear him sing a song properly than admittedly have difficulty because he is running around so much. I hope he values the quality and vocal presentation of his new and old songs as much as he values the quality of his workouts.

Mick indicates and admits that the Stones are the best and most likely vehicle for his new tunes. That is refreshing. The fact that he's done really good demos of all of them tells us that he doesn't really depend on Keith anymore to help finish his tunes and helps to explain why some have described new Stones records as a mish mash of Mick solo tunes and Keith solo tunes.

Micks statement's of "I don't know" and "I hope so" concerning a new record are not anything particularly new. Certainly not the news Cocaine Eye's suggested we'd hear about "them" working on a back to roots record. I think Mick just writes songs all the time and when he's got quite a few sitting around, looks for a way to release them. No indication they are roots based, he wrote them with or for the Stones or is specifically collaborating with the Stones on a record project. His "I've got songs that would be great for the Stones" tells us his approach is more individualistic. The days of all the Stones sitting around in a room for hours creating new music by banging out riffs, grooves and lyrics till they are perfect are long gone. As Doxa points out Mick and Keith are obviously not compelled to even communicate about their new tunes.

But I'm delighted that in 2015 they will be touring behind music that was created in that truly collaborative way, all of them are healthy and still playing and that at least Mick isn't thinking about retirement.

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-07 21:07 by Naturalust.

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: April 7, 2015 21:05

Thanks for posting @bluesstone!

(Please, Keith, read this and talk with Mick about a new album.)

(Always took candy from strangers)

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: April 7, 2015 21:11

At last, some genuine, positive futurescape information direct from band (or at least one of them). Terrific!

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 7, 2015 21:17

desertblues68
caschimann
I am at work very busy will read this later>grinning smiley< Thanks for posting Bluestonesmoking smiley

Yes, some of us have a living to earn - thanks for posting, but I can't give this the attention it deserves right now.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 7, 2015 21:40

Great read. Now to count FF miles for a trip to South American this fall. What is the safest city to visit there?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-09 06:08 by jazzbass.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: April 7, 2015 22:05

slewan
"Hours after the tour was announced, Jagger called up Rolling Stone to discuss plans for the show, the new Sticky Fingers box set and the possibility of a new Stones album."

He called them up???? There's something going awfully wrong in this world…

That's SOP. The "talent" sits in a hotel suite or at home or wherever they're doing business, and gets a list of reporters' names and numbers and scheduled interview times. And then they proceed down the list and try not to blow throw the allotted 15 or 20 minutes. Doubtful that Mick is ever more chatty than he needs to be.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 7, 2015 22:14

Nothing in that interview that we didn't already know/suspect/guess at already.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 7, 2015 22:20

MJ: "I've done really good demos for all of them, which I would love to record. So, let's hope so"

Good demos as Sweet neo con, Driving too fast, Look what the cat dragged in...eye rolling smiley?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 7, 2015 22:25

I wonder if we will ever see the likes of those indepth and insightful interviews.
The 1971 Greenfield interview with Keith was superb, even Mick opened up (for him) some decades later to RS.
Now it just seems to be 10 to 15 minutes on the phone and thats your lot.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1959
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home