Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

New E-book : "Before They Make Me Run" about Stones Toronto 1977-1979
Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 2, 2015 13:44

New E-Book released on March 31, 2015:

"Before They Make Me Run - Keith Richards and the Bust That Saved The Rolling Stones" by Jason Schneider.

It is following Keith Richards and The Rolling Stones in Toronto from 1977 to 1979, including the drug bust and the concerts at The El Mocambo and the Oshawa Civic Auditorium.

[beforetheymakemerun.com]

THE PRESS RELEASE:

CANADIAN AUTHOR/MUSIC JOURNALIST JASON SCHNEIDER RELEASES FIRST E-BOOK

BEFORE THEY MAKE ME RUN: KEITH RICHARDS AND THE BUST THAT SAVED THE ROLLING STONES CHRONICLES BAND’S (MIS)ADVENTURES FROM 1977-1979

TORONTO, ON – On March 31, veteran Canadian music journalist and acclaimed author Jason Schneider releases his first exclusive E-Book, Before They Make Me Run: Keith Richards and the Bust That Saved The Rolling Stones.

The book will be available for $4.99 USD at Amazon for Kindle users [LINK] and at Smashwords for iBooks, Kobo, Sony Reader, Nook and other devices [LINK].

About the book:

In the mid-1970s, after a decade as the undisputed “greatest rock and roll band in the world,” The Rolling Stones were forced to confront not only the cold reality of the new punk rock era, but how guitarist Keith Richards’ mounting personal problems were threatening the band’s very existence.

Keith’s glorified image as rock’s ultimate outlaw, as a counterpoint to singer Mick Jagger’s image as rock’s ultimate sex symbol, was the basis of the Stones’ mystique. But at the start of 1977, as the Stones agreed to work on a new album in Toronto and spark the creative process by playing a small club there, all that Keith represented seemed to be finally catching up to him.

Before They Make Me Run is the first accurate chronicle of Keith Richards and The Rolling Stones’ darkest period, from the bust that led to charges of heroin trafficking laid against Keith, to his ultimate exoneration after playing what was surely the most unexpected benefit concert in history.

No detail is overlooked or unexamined, including eye-witness accounts of the Stones’ El Mocambo concerts, the truth behind Canadian First Lady Margaret Trudeau’s involvement with the band, the creation of the Stones’ final masterpiece Some Girls, and the complex political and legal wrangling behind the outcome of Keith’s trial: a concert to benefit the Canadian National Institute for the Blind.

Written in a lively tone befitting the Rolling Stones’ music, Before They Make Me Run is an essential addition to any Stones library.

About the author:

Jason Schneider’s books include Have Not Been The Same: the CanRock Renaissance 1985-1995 (co-authored with Michael Barclay and Ian Jack), Whispering Pines: The Northern Roots of American Music from Hank Snow to The Band, and the novel 3,000 Miles. For over a decade he was an assistant editor at Canada’s national music monthly Exclaim!, and his work has also been published in Paste, The Word, Relix, Shindig, the Toronto Star, the Globe & Mail, and numerous other outlets.

FROM THE BOOK:

On the morning of February 24, 1977, twenty-eight pieces of luggage belonging to the Richards family slid onto the carousel at the Toronto International Airport. After disembarking from their British Airways overnight flight, Keith Richards and his seven-year-old son Marlon looked on as Royal Canadian Mounted Police customs officers collected each bag, preparing for the inevitable. Keith’s common-law wife Anita Pallenberg, Marlon’s mother, had just been arrested and charged with possession of hashish and heroin. Under normal circumstances, the Rolling Stones organization wouldn’t have allowed Keith and Anita to try entering a foreign country on their own. Their drug addictions were public knowledge, something everyone working for the Stones was used to accommodating. At that moment, however, it was as if no one involved with the trip to Canada was even expecting them.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-02 13:50 by bv.

Re: New E-book : "Before They Make Me Run" about Stones Toronto 1977-1979
Posted by: UnpurePurist ()
Date: April 2, 2015 14:21

Here's a link to Amazon UK.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 2, 2015 14:52

"the Stones’ final masterpiece Some Girls"

eye rolling smiley

Date: April 2, 2015 16:13

FROM THE BOOK:

On the morning of February 24, 1977, twenty-eight pieces of luggage belonging to the Richards family slid onto the carousel at the Toronto International Airport. After disembarking from their British Airways overnight flight, Keith Richards and his seven-year-old son Marlon looked on as Royal Canadian Mounted Police customs officers collected each bag, preparing for the inevitable.

At the risk of sounding pedantic (attention to detail I prefer to call it), there are no 'overnight flights' with British Airways to Toronto. Daytime going across the pond and overnight coming back. Just saying.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-02 16:21 by Manofwealthandtaste.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 2, 2015 17:22

Snagged it - thanks Bjornulf!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 2, 2015 19:26

with sssoul

eye rolling smiley

I just listened to it yesterday, along with the bonus disc, and I agree. It's the last coherent, thematic, cut from the pages of today's headlines work by the group. The entire work has a central sound, and that's apparent when you listen to the bonus cuts, which some are very good, but wouldn't have fit within that particular album.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 2, 2015 19:38

That's fine, 24FPS, but why is a book that's supposed to document a series of events making value judgements about LPs?
The author's opinion should be irrelevant, if this is "the first accurate chronicle" of the events of 77-79.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 2, 2015 19:41

24FPS
with sssoul

eye rolling smiley

I just listened to it yesterday, along with the bonus disc, and I agree. It's the last coherent, thematic, cut from the pages of today's headlines work by the group. The entire work has a central sound, and that's apparent when you listen to the bonus cuts, which some are very good, but wouldn't have fit within that particular album.

I agree to all that, but Tattoo You is a bigger masterpiece(d) together. Undercover is a slightly lesser masterpiece, but holds its own.

Posted by: MinorRipper ()
Date: April 6, 2015 15:57

Awesome quick read--many thanks for the tip BV!!

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: April 6, 2015 16:13

Awesome - - I'm wondering if available via Overdrive/public libraries (free access to entire ebook on loan for a few weeks).

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: February 5, 2016 21:36

Has anyone read this ebook, yet? I'd like to see if it's worth the $5 dollars.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: February 5, 2016 22:13

nightskyman
Has anyone read this ebook, yet? I'd like to see if it's worth the $5 dollars.

I read it. It's much of the same, albeit with more detail and different perspectives. Amazing that they survived this. Keith was remarkably stupid. I felt it was worth $5.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 5, 2016 22:32

Are there any new photos in this book?

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: February 6, 2016 02:29

Thanks for the tip!

I agree with the comment about Some Girls.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 6, 2016 03:48

with sssoul

eye rolling smiley

Sounds about right to me!

Regarding the ebook, don't really see the point, the entire story is pretty much known here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-06 03:49 by LeonidP.

Date: February 6, 2016 06:54

I like the title! winking smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 6, 2016 13:05

treaclefingers
24FPS
with sssoul

eye rolling smiley

I agree to all that, but Tattoo You is a bigger masterpiece(d) together. Undercover is a slightly lesser masterpiece, but holds its own.
some girls was a masterpiece almost an artifact with a tour designed to mssrket a new version of the band. Ty was a collection of songs released by mick to tour behind in 1981 - a last golden hits tour to end things in time for micks solo career.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1791
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home