Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
EHLTB
Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: March 25, 2015 03:24

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 23:14 by camper88.

Re: Er, What Was That Again?
Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: March 25, 2015 03:28

damn poets confuse the hell out of me

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: March 25, 2015 03:53

camper88
There are at least three kinds of lyrics in Stones songs:
1. The lyrics that we hear and understand and know pretty much what they mean, although we may disagree on the exact meaning or historical reference.
2. The lyrics we mishear and misunderstand, and as a result don't know what they mean, (I'll never leave your pizza burning) and
3. The lyrics we hear and understand but we still don't know what they mean.

Numbers 1 and 2 are easily dealt with, even though we may not always agree on what the lyrics mean: for example, is it Annie Leibowitz or Carly Simon? (It's Annie).

But the examples in #3 still confound me time and time again and I thought it'd be good to ask if other folks have lyrics they can understand but don't know what they mean and if they have any suggestions for the lyrics I can understand but don't know what they mean, for example:

1. I know I've dreamed you a sin and a lie
2. Let's do some living after we die
3. With his methylated sandwich/ He's a walking clothesline
4. Yes I got the desert in my toenail
5. Honey I miss your two-toned kisses. (or is this an example of #2: is it two-tongue?)
6. Did you ever wake up to find/ a day that broke up your mind/ Destroyed your notion of circular time?
7. But baby, baby, I don't need no jewels in my crown.

If anyone knows what these lines mean I'd be grateful to hear. If anyone's got any other examples, I'd be interested in hearing them.

I'll take a shot-
1.Something to do with Marrianne in a coma and some sort of guilt over her miscarriage.
2.We're through as a couple, but don't give up on life (though she kind of did).
3.I've heard of far gone alcoholics dipping bread in Sterno to see them through when nothing else was available.
4.I think this refers to hiding peyote under your toenail to get through customs.
5.This sounds like a reference to two tone paint jobs and blow jobs (maybe 69ing?)
6.Just the grind of being on the road and your sleep/wake cycle being crazy and disoriented. Somewhat like taking an afternoon nap and waking at dusk not sure if it's night or morning.
7.I don't need more woman to bolster my ego (notches in my belt/bedpost), though I would seriously question that sentiment 50,000 women later.

Date: March 25, 2015 04:06

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 04:43 by camper88.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 25, 2015 05:02

shawnriffhard1
4.I think this refers to hiding peyote under your toenail to get through customs.

Whoa! That is the funniest thing I've read on this board in a long time! You'd have to have some big ass toes and toenails to make that one worthwhile....and even then, are you going to eat it? eye popping smiley

But nice work, you might be close on all of 'em

Out of respect for our literary expert camper88 and in good fun, I'll give a shot:

1. Projected negativity onto the person the song is directed to.

2. Lets live a little even though we have killed something between us (or) perhaps lets not quit just yet even though you've killed something in me and I've killed something in you (or you've almost killed yourself.

3. An alcoholic bum drinking toxic wood alcohol and on the verge of disaster

4. I've been walkin' around barefoot and fancy free...in the desert, although in context sitting between lines about wine and speed there may be some obscure drug reference...it does make me think about those pictures of Keith Anita and Gram tripping out in Joshua Tree...

5. Missing a kiss from a woman who's lipstick has worn partially off revealing two toned lips. How the lipstick was worn off I'll leave to your imagination.

6. Waking up with an epiphany that what you've been doing is destroying your life and the demons have taken over. There will be no end like the beginning, it's going to be quick and unexpected.

7.I don't need your good looking self or your drugs or money cause I already got it all. I am the king.

peace

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 25, 2015 09:18

Wasn't the toenails thing in reference to Keith's description of some inferior weed (or whatever) as being on a par with toenail clippings?

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: March 25, 2015 10:59

camper88
5. Honey I miss your two-toned kisses. (or is this an example of #2: is it two-tongue?)

I think it's two-tongue. The entire line is: Honey, I miss your two tongue kisses, legs wrapped around me tight. So to me it's a reference to 69.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 25, 2015 11:09

Aquamarine
Wasn't the toenails thing in reference to Keith's description of some inferior weed (or whatever) as being on a par with toenail clippings?

There was certainly something that was described as Mexican shoe-scrapings - but that's a different bit of the song.

Date: March 25, 2015 11:22

camper88
shawnriffhard1
3.I've heard of far gone alcoholics dipping bread in Sterno to see them through when nothing else was available.

SRH,
Thanks these all make sense. These two (above) really surprise me, though. How big is a peyote stash?

Hm, I always thought it was a "mentholated sandwich", which then would be a flavor.
It's just my opinion, but I don't think every play of words has a deeper meaning, that is part of a storyline. Lyrics in songs are very often not linear; that is the idea. Could be a series of images.

"lt's do some living after we die" - grammatically it is all right there; it's not a play on words. So here it becomes a philosophical debate. Can we live after we die? is it better life? Is that the 'real' life that we are pining for through our days? Are we not even alive yet until we die??
What is interesting about that line is that Jagger does not sing that line anymore; hasn't sung it in quite a while. He sings "after love dies".

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: March 25, 2015 12:38

franzk
camper88

I think it's two-tongue. The entire line is: Honey, I miss your two tongue kisses, legs wrapped around me tight. So to me it's a reference to 69.

Always thought it was "two tongue kisses" my self. But I might be wrong about it.....

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 25, 2015 12:40

Could be......

1. I know I've dreamed you a sin and a lie = fed you BS

2. Let's do some living after we die = Let's just enjoy ourselves now, it's later we die.???

3. With his methylated sandwich/ He's a walking clothesline = lifestyle; food just a supplement to his meths / sartorially, a mess, as in, I look like "an unmade bed" (sic - Dylan Thomas)

4. Yes I got the desert in my toenail = ????

5. Honey I miss your two-toned kisses. (or is this an example of #2: is it two-tongue?) - two toned = If it's two tongued it could be "insincere as in "white man speak with forked tongue. ie. Passionately, "I love you but your wallet more".........Just letting her (the star @#$%& er) know, he knows she's mostly there for the money and vicarious "status & glory" but he doesn't care..so long as.....It's a fair trade......

6. Did you ever wake up to find/ a day that broke up your mind/ Destroyed your notion of circular time? - could be, wake up mentally chaotic, with a sense that routines won't get you through....

7. But baby, baby, I don't need no jewels in my crown. = I don't need you to put me on a pedestal, I've got confidence enough....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-25 12:53 by EddieByword.

Date: March 25, 2015 13:35

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 04:44 by camper88.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 25, 2015 13:55

Palace Revolution 2000
camper88
shawnriffhard1

SRH,
Thanks these all make sense. These two (above) really surprise me, though. How big is a peyote stash?

Hm, I always thought it was a "mentholated w", which then would be a flavor.
It's just my opinion, but I don't think every play of words has a deeper meaning, that is part of a storyline. Lyrics in songs are very often not linear; that is the idea. Could be a series of images.

"lt's do some living after we die" - grammatically it is all right there; it's not a play on words. So here it becomes a philosophical debate. Can we live after we die? is it better life? Is that the 'real' life that we are pining for through our days? Are we not even alive yet until we die??
What is interesting about that line is that Jagger does not sing that line anymore; hasn't sung it in quite a while. He sings "after love dies".

- which suggests that may have been what he meant?

As for the tramp's sandwich, it used to be a well-known cliche that tramps would drink cheap and nasty methylated spirits if no other alcohol was available. (look it up).

Date: March 25, 2015 13:59

camper88
Palace Revolution 2000

Hm, I always thought it was a "mentholated sandwich", which then would be a flavor.

Palace, I agree that not all phrases will make literal sense or narrative sense, but these examples escape me for all meaning--which is not to say that the interpretations offered here don't make sense, I mean in previous listening.

The other lines in Jigsaw Puzzle are pretty much straight forward, they're evocative and metaphoric but they're relatively clear in their meaning compared to the sandwich and clothesline lines.

I'm wondering if mentholated sandwich is just a cigarette, like a barley sandwich is a just a beer. and a walking clothesline is a person with no weight to them, just skin and bones?

Methylated I can make no sense of.

In the Uk when I grew up, tramps and notorious drunks were strongly associated with drinking methylated spirits as a cheap substitute for alcohol as sometimes some teenagers are associated with sniffing glue or drinking copius amounts of cough mixture when they can't afford 'proper' drugs....

Also, a tramp has to keep all his/her belongings with them, hence, someone who facilitates that by often wearing all/most of their clothes, therefore looks like a 'walking clothes line'.......I think you're over complicating that one......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-25 14:03 by EddieByword.

Date: March 25, 2015 14:02

They still do that, don't they? Soaking the loaf in the methylated spirit..

Date: March 25, 2015 14:15

DandelionPowderman
They still do that, don't they? Soaking the loaf in the methylated spirit..

I guess they do although our local tramp / walking clothesline who died a couple of months ago was teetotal.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-25 14:16 by EddieByword.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: March 25, 2015 15:04

gibsonman
franzk
camper88

Always thought it was "two tongue kisses" my self. But I might be wrong about it.....

And I always thought it was "two ton Kisses", but I may be wrong....

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 25, 2015 23:53

Isn't "Yes I got the desert in my toenail" just what he meant....... coming home from the dessert take of your shoes and socks and find the the desert in your toenail .......at least that's what I always tought the last 40 more years

Date: March 26, 2015 00:36

Green Lady
Aquamarine

There was certainly something that was described as Mexican shoe-scrapings - but that's a different bit of the song.

True. I'm sure I read an explanation of that line somewhere, but darned if I can remember where--maybe I'm just confusing it with the shoe-scrapings.

Date: March 26, 2015 01:04

NICOS
Isn't "Yes I got the desert in my toenail" just what he meant....... coming home from the dessert take of your shoes and socks and find the the desert in your toenail .......at least that's what I always tought the last 40 more years

But isn't it "dessert" not "desert"?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 26, 2015 01:17

franzk
NICOS

Good question I thought it by myself but who want a dessert from a toenail

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 26, 2015 01:56

Aquamarine
Green Lady
Aquamarine

True. I'm sure I read an explanation of that line somewhere, but darned if I can remember where--maybe I'm just confusing it with the shoe-scrapings.

I think Keith uses that Mexican shoe scrapings description in his book Life to describe the black tar heroin he was sometimes forced to use while in LA. I seem to recall Gram parsons had something to do with it's acquisition.

peace

Date: March 26, 2015 02:09

Ah, could be right there, Naturalust. I seem to have conflated the concepts of toenails, hiding the speed inside your shoes, and shoe-scrapings. grinning smiley

Date: March 26, 2015 16:00

NICOS
franzk
NICOS

Good question I thought it by myself but who want a dessert from a toenail

Maybe it's a slang term for smuggling drugs in your shoes? The next line is "And I hid the speed inside my shoe" - I believe back in the 70s when airport security was not as strict as today many drug addicts and traffickers would hide their stuff inside their shoes during customs. Maybe they called such drugs "dessert from a toenail"?

Posted by: massmick ()
Date: March 26, 2015 16:17

a friend whose mom worked at the Spaulding factory in Chicopee MA always though the refrain in Respectable was "shes sewin' basketballs" instead of "shes so respectable"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-27 00:41 by massmick.

Date: March 26, 2015 16:24

"Desert" and "dessert" aren't pronounced the same way. Mick's saying "desert" ( whatever he means by it).

Date: March 26, 2015 18:30

Aquamarine
"Desert" and "dessert" aren't pronounced the same way. Mick's saying "desert" ( whatever he means by it).

I would not trust so much on Mick's pronounciation, but I think he actually says something in between (esp. on Stripped he kinda puts the accent on the second syllable).

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: March 26, 2015 18:59

There's a tramp sittin' on my doorstep
Tryin' to waste his time
With his methylated sandwich
He's a walking clothesline

Yes EddiebyWords explanation below is spot on -

In the Uk when I grew up, tramps and notorious drunks were strongly associated with drinking methylated spirits as a cheap substitute for alcohol as sometimes some teenagers are associated with sniffing glue or drinking copius amounts of cough mixture when they can't afford 'proper' drugs....

Also, a tramp has to keep all his/her belongings with them, hence, someone who facilitates that by often wearing all/most of their clothes, therefore looks like a 'walking clothes line'.......I think you're over complicating that one......

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: March 26, 2015 19:26

Starf---er is one of the most controversial songs by the Stones as it leaves nothing to the imagination re sex acts.

This song is about groupies. Songwriters often write about subjects they're familiar with, and Mick Jagger was an expert in this area.

Originally, this was called "Starf--ker," which is slang for a groupie. Atlantic Records made them change it, eliminating "f--k" from the title, although the band always refers to it by the original title.

Feminist groups were outraged at the negative portrayal of women. Mick Jagger did not apologize, saying he was just describing what he saw.

This contains the lyric, "She'll get John Wayne before he dies," but John Wayne refused permission to use his name. Engineer Andy Johns put some echo over the lyric and convinced the record company that it was unrecognizable, which it wasn't. When Goats Head Soup came out on CD, the lyric was not distorted.

The Stones blew up a giant, inflatable penis when they performed this on their 1975 tour.

This was banned by the BBC.

In contrast to John Wayne, Steve McQueen was reportedly amused by the reference to him in the lyric. In addition to the John Wayne lyric,references to 'keeping her pussy clean' was also distorted at the original release,and subsequently restored in later issues (US only..in Europe they came through unscathed).

During The Stones 1975 tour, Mick Jagger said: "People always give me this bit about us being a macho band, and I always ask them to give me examples. "Under My Thumb"... Yes, but they always say Starf--ker, and that just happened to be about someone I knew. There's really no reason to have women on tour, unless they've got a job to do. The only other reason is to f--k. Otherwise they get bored, they just sit around and moan. It would be different if they did everything for you, like answer the phones, make the breakfast, look after your clothes and your packing, see if the car was ready, and f--k. Sort of a combination of what (road manager) Alan Dunn does and a beautiful chick."

Lyrics for Starf--ker -

Baby, baby, I've been so sad since you've been gone
Way back to New York City
Where you do belong
Honey, I missed your two tongue kisses
Legs wrapped around me tight
If I ever get back to Fun City, girl
I'm gonna make you scream all night

Honey, honey, call me on the telephone
I know you're movin' out to Hollywood
With your can of tasty foam
All those beat up friends of mine
Got to get you in their books
And lead guitars and movie stars
Get their toes beneath your hook

Yeah, you're a star @#$%&, star @#$%&, star @#$%&, star @#$%&, star
Yeah, a star @#$%&, star @#$%&, star @#$%&, star @#$%&, star
Star @#$%&, star @#$%&, star @#$%&, star @#$%&, star

Yeah, I heard about you Polaroid's
Now that's what I call obscene
Your tricks with fruit was kind a cute
I bet you keep your pussy clean
Honey, I miss your two tone kisses
Legs wrapped around me tight
If I ever get back to New York, girl
Gonna make you scream all night

Star @#$%&, star @#$%&, star @#$%&, star @#$%& star
Yes you are, yes you are, yes you are

Yeah, Ali McGraw got mad with you
For givin' head to Steve McQueen
Yeah, you and me we made a pretty pair
Fallin' through the silver screen
Honey, I'm open to anythin'
I don't know where to draw the line
Yeah, I'm makin' bets that you gonna get
John Wayne before he dies

A star @#$%&, star @#$%&, star @#$%&, star @#$%&, star

Yeah you are, a star @#$%&, star @#$%&, star @#$%&, star @#$%&, star

Star @#$%&, star @#$%&, star @#$%&, star @#$%&
Star @#$%&, star @#$%&, star @#$%&, star, yes you are, yes you are
copyright <a href="[elyrics.net"]; rel="nofollow">[elyrics.net<];

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 26, 2015 19:35

What was the question?------------------------

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1942
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home