Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Very OT: Anyone going to Clapton at MSG?
Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 2, 2015 21:38

When Trucks plays with Clapton, he actually pushes him in the way Duane used to. I'm not sure any of his other sidemen have that effect on him. Trucks is basically the only one who can go onstage with Clapton on something like an equal footing. I think EC recognised not only Derek's talent, but his lineage to and from Duane, very early on and has consciously played a part in his career, taking him on tour to play Dominos songs, recording with him and sitting in with the Allman Brothers a few times:

Shame about the Strat, though. I never really liked the tone he gets with the mid-boost circuit on his signature models.

Posted by: bbeliko ()
Date: May 2, 2015 22:30

Yes, very uninspiring playing of EC in the last couple of years, but everytime Derek jumps on stage with him it just fires him up.

video: [www.youtube.com]

The tour with Derek on the band was out of this world, look up videos of EC's set at the 2007 Crossroads fest to get an idea.

The truth is that Derek Trucks is the best thing that has happened to the guitar in a very, very long time, since SRV at the very least, but Derek does it for me much more than SRV.

Glad to see some variation in the setlist, if you think the Stones have it bad you haven't seen Clapton very often. Still one of the greatest of all time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-02 22:34 by bbeliko.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 2, 2015 23:28

bbeliko
Yes, very uninspiring playing of EC in the last couple of years, but everytime Derek jumps on stage with him it just fires him up.

video: [www.youtube.com]

The tour with Derek on the band was out of this world, look up videos of EC's set at the 2007 Crossroads fest to get an idea.

The truth is that Derek Trucks is the best thing that has happened to the guitar in a very, very long time, since SRV at the very least, but Derek does it for me much more than SRV.

Glad to see some variation in the setlist, if you think the Stones have it bad you haven't seen Clapton very often. Still one of the greatest of all time.
getting away from Allman will be good for DT.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 2, 2015 23:44

DoomandGloom

confused smiley. Not quite sure what you mean but Derek has always had plenty of other things going on. I love his work with his wife and Warren Haynes both. He breathed new life into the ABB and certainly had enough improvisation time with them to stay fresh and challenged. It's not like the ABB were like the Stones in their safe and repeated approach to songs arrangements and set lists, which I thing would be unhealthy musically for someone in his prime like Derek.

Btw: I thought Warren Haynes kicked both Claptons and Derek's butt in that version of Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad. Did you see Claptons reaction when Warren took his solo?

peace

Date: May 2, 2015 23:54

Naturalust
DoomandGloom

confused smiley. Not quite sure what you mean but Derek has always had plenty of other things going on. I love his work with his wife and Warren Haynes both. He breathed new life into the ABB and certainly had enough improvisation time with them to stay fresh and challenged. It's not like the ABB were like the Stones in their safe and repeated approach to songs arrangements and set lists, which I thing would be unhealthy musically for someone in his prime like Derek.

Btw: I thought Warren Haynes kicked both Claptons and Derek's butt in that version of Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad. Did you see Claptons reaction when Warren took his solo?

peace
The Allmans got boring, endless bad jazz and very little Southern Rock. Butch Trucks may have saved the band with his coup but diminished their legacy, That doesn't mean they didn't have great shows but the small amount of original Haynes/Trucks tunes left it flat, For a number of reasons Warren doesn't get the breaks Derek does. In my book Haynes is the superior guitarist there's no doubt standing next to Haynes has helped Derek become a guy that can raise up an entire band. This is the thing that SRV, Betts,Winter, Page and Clapton could do in their prime visit a show and own it. I saw Page guest with Bad Co. in the 70's, all I remember about it was Jimmy.... Page played a Strat of course...Gregg Allman coasted the last few years, he needed a shock collar to find a verse. Now Gregg has his own band out full time, they are groovy and Allman is a force. I am surprised at how he's turned around but The ABB was crushing everyone it seems except Butch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-02 23:58 by DoomandGloom.

Date: May 3, 2015 00:48

Just an FYI, from the MSG Website...

thegarden.com

Please be advised that, due to the New York Rangers Stanley Cup Playoffs hockey game Eric Clapton’s 70th birthday concert celebration originally scheduled to take place at Madison Square Garden on Saturday, May 2, 2015 at 8:00 pm has been rescheduled. The rescheduled date will be Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 8:00 pm. The May 1 performance will take place as scheduled.

Please hold on to your original tickets, as tickets for the May 2, 2015 event will be honored for the rescheduled concert performance on May 3, 2015. Your original tickets will not need to be exchanged.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and look forward to your continued patronage of Madison Square Garden.

Sincerely,

The Madison Square Garden Company

Date: May 3, 2015 00:56

Gregg Allman coasted the last few years, he needed a shock collar to find a verse.

lmfao. Yeah, good explanation DoomandGloom, I get it and agree, Thx.

peace

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: May 3, 2015 03:34

Check out this great Tedeschi-Trucks Band set from the New Orleans Jazz Festival that was on AXS TV last night!

[www.dimeadozen.org]

01. Made Up Mind
02. Break In The Road
03. Pity The Fool (Bobby Blue Bland cover)
04. More & More

It's only 21 minutes of the show but it is smokin'!smiling smiley

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 3, 2015 05:14

Ended up not being able to go...sold my ticket.

Was lucky enough to see a show on the EC tour with D. Trucks as a regular member.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 4, 2015 09:56

I thought it was a pretty good show. Here's "Pretending" with John Mayer:

Posted by: eyesoftheworld ()
Date: May 4, 2015 10:06

drbryant
I thought it was a pretty good show. Here's "Pretending" with John Mayer:

Great seats, friend.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: May 4, 2015 12:03

Thanx for posting. That made my morning. love to see Eric`s smile during Mayer`s solo.thumbs up

Tom

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: May 4, 2015 19:58

I had tickets for Sat May 2 which because of Ranger game had to be rescheduled to Sun May 3rd which I couldn't make..MSG was gracious enough to refund me the cost of the tickets and after seeing the setlist I'm glad they did.

..now if I could only get back the cost of the Pacquiao-Mayweather PPV eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-04 20:00 by reg thorpe.

Date: May 4, 2015 21:07

Naturalust
Gregg Allman coasted the last few years, he needed a shock collar to find a verse.

peace

Long term ABB fan here and also Gov't Mule junkie from Warren's hometown, Asheville, NC. It dumbfounds me how Gregg has turned up the energy after leaving ABB. I don't for the life of me understand why these reworking of those ABB chestnuts couldn't have been done bigger and better in the band. Unless Gregg is doing it for the money......hum 1/1 is better than 1/7.

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 4, 2015 21:27

DoomandGloom
angee
I'm going. Took advantage of the fan club sale, though prices seemed rather high.
It's a case for me of MSG, him threatening to quit touring, and a fan I trust saying he is
playing very, very well now.

Doom and Gloom, who else? Yeah, I'm almost having buyer's remorse because of that *other* tour
coming up.
Yes first show ever for me was EC in 1975 for 461 Ocean Blvd. It all came full circle for me at The Cream reunion. MSG holds great Clapton memories, The Arms show was unforgettable. I could pass on this last show but my wife wants to go, her first Clapton show was Cream, she is a musician herself and previously thought EC was all hype , after watching Clapton stretch a string 2 whole steps and shaking it like only he can she whispered. "He's a really good guitarist" ! There's no buyers remorse since The Stones are uncertain but I did sell a Les Paul to buy my Cream tickets, I considered it appropriate considering without Cream I'd not have played guitar at all. There's plenty more in the closet if The Stones get near NY.
with all due respect ,how much did your cream tickets cost if you had to sell a les paul? what kind of les paul was it ?

Date: May 4, 2015 21:43

MidnightDevilRambler
Naturalust

peace

Long term ABB fan here and also Gov't Mule junkie from Warren's hometown, Asheville, NC. It dumbfounds me how Gregg has turned up the energy after leaving ABB. I don't for the life of me understand why these reworking of those ABB chestnuts couldn't have been done bigger and better in the band. Unless Gregg is doing it for the money......hum 1/1 is better than 1/7.

Some insights into Gregg in his book My Cross To Bear, which you've probably read. It's not that hard to imagine him getting a bit less inspired playing with the same band for so long, so many memories, problems and personal demons. Equally easy to imagine playing with a new group of excellent musicians could give him a kick start. I've always loved his soulful approach and am just delighted he is still playing. I don't imagine he will be with us for much longer considering how he abused himself for so long, but he seems the kind of gut who will be playing until his last breath. He doesn't strike me as a guy doing it purely for the money, I think he's comfortably well off and truly in it for the music.

peace

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 22, 2015 16:04

Quick report from the penultimate night at RAH: Clapton was top-notch, really on great form. The last time I saw him was in 2011 and he was so uninspired that I genuinely thought it was over for him; his playing was technically flawless but phoned in, and he seemed like he'd rather have been anywhere else. I saw him last night out of a sense of obligation: all quibbles with his questionable solo career aside, I love the guy, he's one of a kind, and chances to see him may be few and far between after this run. But I shouldn't have worried. He was fantastic, and even if he doesn't tour from now on I can only hope he finds a way to carry on playing at the highest level, because hasn't lost a step from his Dominos zenith.

My only disappointment was the pretty anaemic version of Can't Find My Way Home (Nathan East's vocal didn't serve the song at all well, and the vibe was more eighties crime drama soundtrack than Blind Faith). Otherwise it was all good. The acoustic set was mercifully short, as were the keyboard solos. Key To The Highway, Crossroads, Pretending and Cocaine absolutely cooked, the latter two drenched in wah-wah. Little Queen of Spades isn't my favourite blues standard by any means but it was a superb performance - there were moments when he was just playing from another dimension entirely, and no-one else plays that style with such command and authority. But above all it was Let It Rain that made the show for me. Probably my favourite EC song, and he played it absolutely beautifully last night - worth the price of admission alone.

The only other thing I'd say is that the show had a lovely intimacy and warmth to it. That had something to do with the RAH as a venue, I think, but the crowd's affection for Clapton was palpable, and he, in turn, seemed genuinely delighted to be there. He was all smiles, which is pretty unusual for him, and even lingered on stage a bit at the end. If you have the opportunity to go to the last show tonight or to see him in the future, do it. BB's passing reminds us that all these guys are getting on. None of them will be around forever. We, for our part, should take the chances we have to celebrate the music that's enriched all our lives while we still can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-22 16:14 by Stoneburst.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: May 22, 2015 19:16

Nice report, thanks for sharing. As for the acoustic set, I see it had 4 songs as usual, maybe they were just short versions? Btw:

"The concert on Wednesday, 20 May was filmed and recorded. Keep your eye on whereseric.com in the coming months for news about a potential DVD/Blu-Ray/Audio release."

[www.whereseric.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-22 19:21 by Milan.

Posted by: Poetry ()
Date: May 22, 2015 23:23

As for Eric he is one of my favourites. I have loads of great concerts both audios and vids (send me a pm Doom, if you want some), or I could share some here, if OT is not a problem. He was never really talkative on stage.
As far as the older post Derek tours go, the one from 2013 was rather weak, generally, too much country vibe for me, although I have a video where Eric is positively smoking. The 2011 tour was also rather low key, but had some great performances. The difference is that since 2010, he has mostly been the sole guitarist (sometimes with only one keyboardist, sometimes two). Before that , there were only short stretches in the 1990 and 1991 RAH tours (which were great), most gigs on 1986 to 1987 tour and the tour in autumn of 1978.

As most of you know,I suppose ,Keith was a special guest on one show in 1986 and Ronnie on one in 1976 and his comeback Rainbow concerts in 1973, all available on boots (Rainbow was also partially released officially).

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 22, 2015 23:46

If you love sixties and seventies rock and appreciate the blues,
you need to see Clapton while he's on his current hot streak.

I was still in school when Clapton was the hottest thing happening in the UK.
There were signs all over London saying "Eric is God" NOT put up by a press agent.

He went through a series of unhappy personal matters but our mutual friends
tell me he's enjoying this tour and playing with a smile on his face.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 22, 2015 23:49

I saw him yesterday at the Royal Albert Hall.

I thought it was pop blues for retired bank clerks. Blues on-the-go.
Really, really boring. Very predictable. The entire gig. Not even one stand out.
I actually had to laugh when Tears in Heaven got a reggae-arrangement.
And Eric: play Layla electric... The unplugged version was nice, once, 20 years ago, but it can't hold a candle to the electric version.

But, I kind of expected that. I just thought, I'm in London...who's playing?
Tomorrow it's Paul McCartney... Judging on the last couple of times I saw him, my expectations are high.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 22, 2015 23:54

Naturalust
DoomandGloom

peace

Yes, Haynes kicked their butt's big time.

Date: May 23, 2015 06:02

TheGreek
DoomandGloom
angee
I'm going. Took advantage of the fan club sale, though prices seemed rather high.
It's a case for me of MSG, him threatening to quit touring, and a fan I trust saying he is
playing very, very well now.

Doom and Gloom, who else? Yeah, I'm almost having buyer's remorse because of that *other* tour
coming up.
Yes first show ever for me was EC in 1975 for 461 Ocean Blvd. It all came full circle for me at The Cream reunion. MSG holds great Clapton memories, The Arms show was unforgettable. I could pass on this last show but my wife wants to go, her first Clapton show was Cream, she is a musician herself and previously thought EC was all hype , after watching Clapton stretch a string 2 whole steps and shaking it like only he can she whispered. "He's a really good guitarist" ! There's no buyers remorse since The Stones are uncertain but I did sell a Les Paul to buy my Cream tickets, I considered it appropriate considering without Cream I'd not have played guitar at all. There's plenty more in the closet if The Stones get near NY.
with all due respect ,how much did your cream tickets cost if you had to sell a les paul? what kind of les paul was it ?
It was a black LP Studio very nice Ebony board. Sold it for 550 or so tickets cost about 300 I guess. I had no liquid money, I'd do it again without a doubt. I relive that show and Traffic's reunion all the time.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 23, 2015 08:40

BowieStone

Really, really boring. Very predictable. The entire gig. Not even one stand out.
And Eric: play Layla electric... The unplugged version was nice, once, 20 years ago, but it can't hold a candle to the electric version.

Tomorrow it's Paul McCartney... Judging on the last couple of times I saw him, my expectations are high.

Clapton is pop Blues and predictable but you're looking forward to Paul McCartney? Maybe you don't appreciate guitar playing (the guy in McCartney's band is one rank below a Japanese cover band). Did you really go?

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 23, 2015 10:56

I want my blues dirty and gritty if not exciting.
Not clean and nice.

Paul doens't pretend to be a blues artist.
He's pretending to be the genius that he is.

Btw... No hard feelings for Clapton. I just think he's way too comfortable in his role to be playing that kind of music. Firing a bunch of session musicians might do the job.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-23 11:15 by BowieStone.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 23, 2015 12:33

I was there Wednesday night, my first visit to RAH and the reason I made the trip. It is a stunning venue, I think it has even passed Massey Hall and the Beacon in my esteem! Very intimate, incredible acoustics, and flat-out gorgeous! Clapton was so good, with a standing ovation for I Shot The Sheriff, much love for everything else. Tributes to B B and Joe Cocker. My favourite - Tell The Truth - made me happy for the last 2 days! Really hope it's not the last we see of the man, but rumours abound.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 23, 2015 13:34

You are so right about RAH SomeTorontoGirl.

My fave venue in the world I gotta say.

Been there about a dozen times,always with a good seat in arena or stalls.

So glad you enjoyed the show.

Date: May 23, 2015 16:50

drbryant
BowieStone

Clapton is pop Blues and predictable but you're looking forward to Paul McCartney? Maybe you don't appreciate guitar playing (the guy in McCartney's band is one rank below a Japanese cover band). Did you really go?
yes EC is a little stiff and his show is PG blues. Too many keyboard solos and substitute singers but I still enjoyed the concert. I've seen EC plenty and this show was different, very personal. He still wailed and played soulfully. Without any knowledge of his plans, he appeared frail on stage, this was a terrific sendoff, we had great guests in NYC.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 23, 2015 18:34

BowieStone

We can duel tomorrow at dawn at Tower Hill. (That's really just a clever ruse to get help carrying my bags to the Tube en route home.) looking forward to Macca tonite too!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home