Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Very OT: Anyone going to Clapton at MSG?
Date: March 21, 2015 02:44

smileys with beer

I might go myself.He is my 4th favorite. Obviously, I preferredthe 90's early shows but he is a legend and I havent seen him since 12 12 12.

Re: Very OT: Anyone going to Clapton at MSG?
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 21, 2015 02:47

Yes, certainly..

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 21, 2015 02:50

I'd love to take my teen son, he's a huge fan, but not worth the ticket prices for me. It sure would be a kick to see him at MSG, though.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 21, 2015 04:15

I'm going. Took advantage of the fan club sale, though prices seemed rather high.
It's a case for me of MSG, him threatening to quit touring, and a fan I trust saying he is
playing very, very well now.

Doom and Gloom, who else? Yeah, I'm almost having buyer's remorse because of that *other* tour
coming up.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 21, 2015 04:21

No - seeing him at Royal Albert Hall a couple of weeks later... grinning smiley

Date: March 21, 2015 04:22

angee
I'm going. Took advantage of the fan club sale, though prices seemed rather high.
It's a case for me of MSG, him threatening to quit touring, and a fan I trust saying he is
playing very, very well now.

Doom and Gloom, who else? Yeah, I'm almost having buyer's remorse because of that *other* tour
coming up.
Yes first show ever for me was EC in 1975 for 461 Ocean Blvd. It all came full circle for me at The Cream reunion. MSG holds great Clapton memories, The Arms show was unforgettable. I could pass on this last show but my wife wants to go, her first Clapton show was Cream, she is a musician herself and previously thought EC was all hype , after watching Clapton stretch a string 2 whole steps and shaking it like only he can she whispered. "He's a really good guitarist" ! There's no buyers remorse since The Stones are uncertain but I did sell a Les Paul to buy my Cream tickets, I considered it appropriate considering without Cream I'd not have played guitar at all. There's plenty more in the closet if The Stones get near NY.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-21 04:25 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 21, 2015 15:20

I'm going. About 1/2 way back on the floor - $330. I thought the price was a little high, but I guess that's MSG. At least I am on the left hand side of the floor facing the stage, so I have the proper angle to watch Clapton (he plays with the guitar neck at a slight angle, so I have found that it's much better from the left). Do people in the US stand at Clapton shows, or do they sit until "Cocaine"?

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 21, 2015 16:25

I'm also seeing him at the Albert Hall on the 21st if anyone's there and fancies a pint beforehand

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 21, 2015 16:45

I was browsing when they went on sale yesterday. Pulled up 10th row for $500, 18th row center for $330, 8th row side of stage also $330. I've seen him a few times (including the Cream reunion) and this seemed a bit rich so I decided to wait it out and try my luck with StubHub on the day of the show. I did notice when I checked back last night that the uppers seemed to have gone up to $330 also.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 21, 2015 16:57

I took my wife to a UK Arena venue for the first time a few years back. EC was very much in non communique with audience mood. She wasnt impressed and it is annoying when you know he can, even now he's sober, be quite affable, in that regard his "normal"back up band doesnt get the best out of him. At least he doesnt play with his back to the audience a la Miles Davis.
Has he any new product out? No mention or rumours of such, may give it a a miss this time.
He won't stop playing live....just no more lengthy tours.
The RAH and MSG will feature again.

Date: March 21, 2015 17:03

There a reasonable assortment of tickets here for me. Surprised there are so many available. SHould be an easy late grab... [www.concertticketcenter.com]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 21, 2015 20:18

bleedingman
I was browsing when they went on sale yesterday. Pulled up 10th row for $500, 18th row center for $330, 8th row side of stage also $330. I've seen him a few times (including the Cream reunion) and this seemed a bit rich so I decided to wait it out and try my luck with StubHub on the day of the show. I did notice when I checked back last night that the uppers seemed to have gone up to $330 also.

For an "ordinary" Clapton show, those prices are ridiculous. Would only be worth it if there were some very special guests; Winwood and Baker, for example.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: March 21, 2015 21:40

i'm going. any special guests mentioned?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 22, 2015 06:31

I thought he retired. I saw him in 1994 and thought it was all over then.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 22, 2015 06:35

Stoneburst
I'm also seeing him at the Albert Hall on the 21st if anyone's there and fancies a pint beforehand

May 20th... sad smiley Would have been nice to meet up with some IORR folk in London...

Date: March 22, 2015 12:11

STG, you may have some compadres show up here later on.

Yes, it would be nice to meet before the MSG show...May 1 or May 2?

Which night is everyone going?
Any venues?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: DanielCT ()
Date: March 23, 2015 03:10

I'm thinking about going to the show on the 1st. I haven't seen Clapton since the 1990 tour up in Saratoga Springs. NYC and MSG are an easy Metro North ride in to the city, so I may just shell out the $$ and do it.

Posted by: footlooseman ()
Date: March 23, 2015 05:27

angee
STG, you may have some compadres show up here later on.

Yes, it would be nice to meet before the MSG show...May 1 or May 2?

Which night is everyone going?
Any venues?

planning for saturday

Date: March 23, 2015 05:37

ah, I'll be gone by then.

Friday: angee
Saturday: footlooseman

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: footlooseman ()
Date: March 23, 2015 17:37

angee
ah, I'll be gone by then.

Friday: angee
Saturday: footlooseman

sorry to hear that. can't believe its five years since the Clapton/Beck shows!!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 23, 2015 19:57

Are you sure this is "very" OT? Back in the Ealing Club days, Eric the Mod used to stand in, on occasion, for Jagger at Stones gigs where he couldn't make it, due most likely to his London School of Economics studies. So as an occasional Stones lead singer, that would technically, since they were a six-piece outfit at the time, make Clapton the seventh Stone.

Date: March 23, 2015 21:42

DanielCT
I'm thinking about going to the show on the 1st. I haven't seen Clapton since the 1990 tour up in Saratoga Springs. NYC and MSG are an easy Metro North ride in to the city, so I may just shell out the $$ and do it.
I'll be on that train from Hudson. NY.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 2, 2015 13:00

Well there goes night 1. Hate to say I was right, but very unspectacular show here, at least in terms of how they hyped it:

[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 2, 2015 15:51

Seen him about 10 times and last time were 2 Cream gigs at RAH about 5 years ago.

They were good but after seeing set lists videos and reviews over the years, won't bother now. Same old setlists and no real persona when he is on stage.
Outrageous ticket prices as well, so a non starter for me these days.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 2, 2015 16:12

I still think he's worth seeing, despite the fact that he's basically playing a pretty standard setlist.

Date: May 2, 2015 18:15

RollingFreak
Well there goes night 1. Hate to say I was right, but very unspectacular show here, at least in terms of how they hyped it:

[www.setlist.fm]
I have to disagree. There were some good highlights at the show last night. I've seen EC 50 times at least but not since The Cream reunion until last night. He played some scorching solos and Derek Trucks' guest spot on Let It Rain was spectacular. It's real nice when guests do their homework and Trucks is a respectful pro. Clapton's voice no longer has the command he had in the 70's and 80's. Back then I thought he had the best arena vocal presence of all his peers but that is what time will do, he looks very frail. On the negative side there were way too many keyboard solos, Paul Carrick is not a blues musician and Chris Stanton has slowed with age. Those guys made me miss Chuck!!! Steve Gadd's shuffle gets annoying at times as well. Eric was very personable and sweet throughout the evening, I was happy to be there, I will always love him.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 2, 2015 18:28

D&G, was it me or did he ditch his signature Strats last night? It looked like he was playing one of the Brownie reissues. Honestly, my expectations for the 21st in London are pretty low, but knowing that he did Let It Rain raises them ever so slightly. I also wish he'd lose the endless keyboard solos, but then I've never been a fan of Chris Stanton's playing. Bobby Whitlock was the best sparring partner Clapton ever had: a proper reunion between those two would be worth seeing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-02 18:32 by Stoneburst.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 2, 2015 18:40

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: May 2, 2015 18:54

[email protected]
smileys with beer

I might go myself.He is my 4th favorite. Obviously, I preferredthe 90's early shows but he is a legend and I havent seen him since 12 12 12.

Bring your pillow you will fall asleep

Date: May 2, 2015 19:48

Stoneburst
D&G, was it me or did he ditch his signature Strats last night? It looked like he was playing one of the Brownie reissues. Honestly, my expectations for the 21st in London are pretty low, but knowing that he did Let It Rain raises them ever so slightly. I also wish he'd lose the endless keyboard solos, but then I've never been a fan of Chris Stanton's playing. Bobby Whitlock was the best sparring partner Clapton ever had: a proper reunion between those two would be worth seeing.
His Strat was sunburst but it didn't have many 50's features. It sounded like an EC signature so it must have been loaded that way. One of my favorite things about The Stones is they still use their oldest guitars. You know what I mean..... Strats and Strats all night long that's why Derek stood out playing a SG... John Mayer, Doyle Bramhall II, Jimmy Vaughn were all guests. I would prefer if EC had a full time guitar sidekick, my favorites I've seen were George Terry, Mark Knofler and Albert Lee. I wish I had seen a entire show with Trucks, he really gets it, after all he is named Derek...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1497
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home