Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Steel Wheels Gems
Date: March 5, 2015 18:19

alimente
The use of Continental Drift as intro music to their 1989/90 shows (along with "Take The A Train" the best concert intros ever, IMHO) made me appreciate the album version finally. It's a great tune, just not Stones by numbers, which is probably the reason why Drift is not loved by all too many people out there!

To despise every Stones track that is a bit "different" as "Mick solo number" reveals a bit one-dimensional view of the band really. Keith's open G-riffing on each and every Stones track would be a bit, eh, boring in the end, no?

There is only one open G (by Keith) track on SG. I thought that contributed to the freshness of that album, and made Keith a better guitarist for some years to come as well.

Agree totally about Continental Drift!

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 5, 2015 18:19

double posting by mistake. sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-05 18:22 by alimente.

Date: March 5, 2015 18:27

Don't worry, it was a good post smiling smiley thumbs up

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: March 5, 2015 19:10

One man's ceiling is another man's floor

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: March 5, 2015 19:11

I'm not sure what to say ranking Steel Wheels with Sticky & Exile.... other than send me over some of whatever your on... haha

Date: March 5, 2015 19:46

umakmehrd
I'm not sure what to say ranking Steel Wheels with Sticky & Exile.... other than send me over some of whatever your on... haha

Well, during the Sticky & Exile period the Stones had no solo career shit in mind, resulting in the simple fact that the best song material still went to the band... Steel Wheels (admittedly to a lesser degree, though) and Voodoo Lounge in particular suffered from some great songs having been used up for solo adventures instead, IMHO.

However, there's proof enough that even from the end of the eighties to the mid-nineties Mick and Keith could still write great material, but, like I said, the band did not fully benefit from their creativity. A great loss, if you ask me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-05 19:52 by alimente.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: March 5, 2015 20:56

maybe because the artwork looks like... steel wheels?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 5, 2015 22:07

The Mez
I like most of the songs except Hold On To Your Hat (tuneless imo) No stones groove. Do not like the mix on Break The Spell either. Most other tracks I like. MEZ

Mez, my friend, great to see ya back!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 5, 2015 22:10

i like hold on to your hat, its a got a great weaving guitar rythm. sad sad sad is quite good, almost hear you sigh and continental drift are the best on the album. blinded by love, slipping away and break the spell are good too. rock and a hard place and cant be seen are only ok, as is terrifyng, hearts for sale is boring and mixed emotions is one of the weakest singles they ever released.

good album but nothing more.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: March 6, 2015 01:10

A lot of sunshine in that album.. Last one swinging with Bill Wyman... I went to Montserrat in 1992 before the earthquake, and was driven around the island by taxi driver George, who said he was the personal Mick's chauffeur.. He showed me the studios and Mick's former villa.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: March 6, 2015 01:24

Makes me smile when Keith tells Charlie not to go mad with a drumsolo at the beginning... smiling smiley Charlie totally not responding at all to the joke... smoking smiley

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 6, 2015 17:12

alimente
The use of Continental Drift as intro music to their 1989/90 shows (along with "Take The A Train" the best concert intros ever, IMHO) made me appreciate the album version finally. It's a great tune, just not Stones by numbers, which is probably the reason why Drift is not loved by all too many people out there!

To despise every Stones track that is a bit "different" as "Mick solo number" reveals a one-dimensional view of the band really. Keith's open G-riffing on each and every or at least too many Stones track(s) would be a bit, eh, boring in the end, no? See "Main Defender"!

To state that a song that sounds like a bad Jagger solo song is great because of something they added to it that has nothing to do with the Stones is beyond laughable. A song that Keith bragged about playing a spoon on a bicycle wheel...

I like the Masters Of Joujouka part (I wondered at first what the intro was at the show because... I didn't like the song - I only listened to it a few times and it never did anything for me - in fact, the MOJ was more of a jolt), it's the actual song that sucks. And if you think that by not liking one song "reveals a one-dimensional view of the band" - that's weak and ignorant.

Date: March 6, 2015 17:18

Matt Clifford: – You got the job...

Hilarious! grinning smiley

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: March 6, 2015 17:35

DandelionPowderman
Matt Clifford: – You got the job...

Hilarious! grinning smiley

YOU KNOW KEITH WANTED TO GIVE THIS DUDE THE BLADE, BUT KEPT THE PEACE.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 6, 2015 22:03

Very interesting post about SW:
[www.iorr.org]

Date: March 6, 2015 22:06

"Their 'producers' - especially after Tattoo You - have neglected and wasted the Stone’s crunch, dissonance, and jangle. This has compromised and often neutered their lustrous and gloriously bawdy ‘sound’"

Don Was this is especially for you!

Date: March 6, 2015 22:23

Yeah, Turd's post is a classic. So true.

Date: March 6, 2015 22:42

GasLightStreet
alimente

To despise every Stones track that is a bit "different" as "Mick solo number" reveals a one-dimensional view of the band really. Keith's open G-riffing on each and every or at least too many Stones track(s) would be a bit, eh, boring in the end, no? See "Main Defender"!

To state that a song that sounds like a bad Jagger solo song is great because of something they added to it that has nothing to do with the Stones is beyond laughable. A song that Keith bragged about playing a spoon on a bicycle wheel...

I like the Masters Of Joujouka part (I wondered at first what the intro was at the show because... I didn't like the song - I only listened to it a few times and it never did anything for me - in fact, the MOJ was more of a jolt), it's the actual song that sucks. And if you think that by not liking one song "reveals a one-dimensional view of the band" - that's weak and ignorant.

So you decide what has something to do or "has nothing to do with the Stones"? Or are you just licking Keith's boots because he "bragged about playing a spoon on a bicycle"? What's wrong with that anyway?

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: March 6, 2015 23:16

..a good album (but not great...), in my opinion underrated by many...

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 6, 2015 23:16

I love when Keith is counting 1,2,3 - the English way

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 7, 2015 02:26

alimente
GasLightStreet
alimente

So you decide what has something to do or "has nothing to do with the Stones"? Or are you just licking Keith's boots because he "bragged about playing a spoon on a bicycle"? What's wrong with that anyway?

It doesn't have anything to do with the Stones in terms of the song. Not sure why that's confusing. The spoon on the bike wheel, come on, when I read that I thought he was joking. It sounds like some effect from a Casio keyboard.

Date: March 7, 2015 12:05

DandelionPowderman
Yeah, Turd's post is a classic. So true.

...another gem from that great post:

"It seems over the last ~15 years, they keep working with slick, establishment producers like this walking neuter-machine, Don Was. I have to tell you, I have listened to stuff he's produced for others, for instance, Dylan's "Under A Blood Red Sky", and like metronomic clock work, he seems to preside over the most stultifying, soporific, punchless, antiseptic drivel any of the artists in question have ever released. The man is literally death-by-anesthesia at the soundboard. Why they haven't worked with Rick Rubin, Daniel Lanois, or a young gun like Ethan Johns (indeed, son of legendary Glyn and nephew of Andy) that has done monster producer work for Ryan Adams and Emmylou Harris (to name just a few)"

Date: March 7, 2015 12:07

"Dylan's "Under A Blood Red Sky", and like metronomic clock work, he seems to preside over the most stultifying, soporific, punchless, antiseptic drivel any of the artists in question have ever released"

...and the same with Ziggy Marley's 'Wild and Free', produced by Don Was.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 7, 2015 14:51

Why they haven't worked with Rick Rubin, Daniel Lanois,

Oh please don't let Lanois anywhere near the Stones .... NEVER NEVER !!!

ROCKMAN

Date: March 7, 2015 15:02

Rockman

Haha...

Date: March 7, 2015 16:10

Rockman

+1 and Mick had his fights with Rubin...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 7, 2015 16:17

DandelionPowderman
Rockman

+1 and Mick had his fights with Rubin...

...and never sounded better in the last 25 years.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: March 7, 2015 16:31

The less edited and unvarnished versions of most of the STEEL WHEELS songs that got out on bootleg are, as usual, superior to the finished album.

Date: March 7, 2015 19:27

Rockman

Oh please don't let Lanois anywhere near the Stones .... NEVER NEVER

No one is worse than Don Was

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 7, 2015 19:36

-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-08 12:21 by dcba.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2375
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home