Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Steel Wheels Gems
Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: March 4, 2015 20:10

24FPS
Throw away Sad, Sad, Sad, & Rock And A Hard Place, and Can't Be Seen, and you have a great album.

That's what I like about this forum...such a rock hard opinion. Can't Be Seen is great go and listen again. The other 2 I agree with you

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 4, 2015 20:47

exhpart
24FPS
Throw away Sad, Sad, Sad, & Rock And A Hard Place, and Can't Be Seen, and you have a great album.

That's what I like about this forum...such a rock hard opinion. Can't Be Seen is great go and listen again. The other 2 I agree with you

Maybe he meant Throwaway (as in from the 1987 solo album), Sad Sad Sad, RAAHP, and Can't Be Seen, and you have a great album.

In other words, it just needs Throwaway.

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: March 4, 2015 20:53

Always liked Steel Wheels. Agree it's not great but certainly not bad. For me Continental Drift is the stand out track, can't understand people who don't really like it but each to their own. Love Almost hear you sigh and Rock and a Hard Place. Think Hold on to your hat is awful.

John Nicholls

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: March 4, 2015 21:12

I checked Hotstuff, and only found gotablaouse`s expired link...

Can someone throw me a bone here?

thank you!
EDIT - I`ve now posted this request on HotStuff!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-04 21:14 by peoplewitheyes.

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: March 4, 2015 21:59

I like most of the songs except Hold On To Your Hat (tuneless imo) No stones groove. Do not like the mix on Break The Spell either. Most other tracks I like. MEZ

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 4, 2015 22:27

My favorites:
Continental Drift, Terrifying and Rock and a Hard Place- Great tracks as well live "Urban Jungle"
Almost Hear You Sigh
Slipping away

Date: March 4, 2015 22:34

I thought Mixed Emotions was a fairly weak single and was surprised it did as well as it did. Billboard #5 or something?

Anyway, as an album it's pretty good and I agree with the observations on Continental Drift.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 4, 2015 23:02

I am used to playing my Monitor Mixes CD instead of the official Steel Wheels, so much so that I'm not going to dig out the original now from wherever it's hiding, just to be able to comment on the sound and the mix. And I wouldn't want to be without Fancy Man Blues or For Your Precious Love - I wish those had been included.

The one I really can't get to like at all is Rock And A Hard Place - I think they had high hopes for that, and kept trying it live, but it just doesn't click for some reason. Don't enjoy Break The Spell either.

I do at least like all the rest, although some are a bit Stones-by-numbers - I don't get the hate for Hold On To Your Hat, and Continental Drift is to my mind a successful experiment. Love Terrifying and Slipping Away, but I think Hearts For Sale and Blinded by Love are early examples of a style that has been repeated rather too often on later albums.

It isn't a classic album, but it's a good one.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 4, 2015 23:13

Several good tracks undermined by the shiny mix and mastering. I love Sad Sad Sad and don't understand the hate. Can't Be Seen... Almost Hear You Sigh... Even Terrifying. The mix aside, the main problem is the lack of a smash song as an anchor and way in. Mixed Emotions has a forced chorus. Rock and a Hard Place is trying too hard. There's more of an ease to most Stones smashes (the KR touch) which seems to have deserted them or has been willingly avoided since Talk is Cheap.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: March 4, 2015 23:16

Green Lady
I am used to playing my Monitor Mixes CD instead of the official Steel Wheels, so much so that I'm not going to dig out the original now from wherever it's hiding, just to be able to comment on the sound and the mix. And I wouldn't want to be without Fancy Man Blues or For Your Precious Love - I wish those had been included.

The one I really can't get to like at all is Rock And A Hard Place - I think they had high hopes for that, and kept trying it live, but it just doesn't click for some reason. Don't enjoy Break The Spell either.

I do at least like all the rest, although some are a bit Stones-by-numbers - I don't get the hate for Hold On To Your Hat, and Continental Drift is to my mind a successful experiment. Love Terrifying and Slipping Away, but I think Hearts For Sale and Blinded by Love are early examples of a style that has been repeated rather too often on later albums.

It isn't a classic album, but it's a good one.

I agree with you. The early mixes bootleg is superior to the official release.
Break The Spell is a great swampy blues on it. Great mouthharp by Mick. I like it.
Slipping Away is one of Keith's greatest. Replace Rock and A hard place with Fancy Man Blues and Wish I'd Never Met You and it comes closer to a GREAT STONES-album.
All went wrong with the keyboard guys Chuck and Matt..,influence and on top off that the horrible and abdominable cover "art", what a piece of S*&55t. Somebody liked/likes this artwork?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-04 23:25 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 4, 2015 23:22

This ^^^

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 4, 2015 23:25

How can people consider Hold On To Your Hat a throwaway?

It features some of the most ferocious, scorching hot guitar playing that Keith and Ronnie have ever recorded. No, there's not much of a SONG there...the lyrics and singing are tossed off without much thought, with Jagger reverting to his Dirty Work growling.

But the bass, the drums, and the GUITARS make it worthwhile. This shit just COOKS..sometimes, that's all you need when you're putting an album together. Not every song can be Gimme Shelter.

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: March 4, 2015 23:55

Fine album, way better than Undercover, which gets a lot of praise on this site.
And they even left the best songs off! (Fancyman blues, For your precious love).

Love Mixed emotions, which was all over the radio in that late summer of '89.

Pete.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: March 5, 2015 00:26

Not one song on the album I really don't like, but agree with the mix part of it. To much reverb over all, and not enough meat in the bottom end. Very '80s overproduced as well. This album would have been great to have remixed. There are great songs in there as well as nice arrangements.
I even think Rock And A Hard Place could have been a Stones Classic. The main reason it maybe isn't, is because Keith isn't driving the main riff, and he didn't bother to do it live either as opposed to Brown Sugar. Maybe the same with Sad Sad Sad.
Hold On To Your Hat is a fireball and holds some of the finest lead work from Keith ever recorded IMO.
Mixed Emotions is sort of almost too. Verses not really going anywhere, but the chorus and "bridge" is simply beautiful.
Continental Drift is one of their most experimental songs, a bit Satanic Majesties-like, and I think they succeeded with this one. A bonus was of course that the last part of it showed ideal for a concert intro. Have they ever had an intro before or after that was taken directly from their own album, and not either from another artist or composer?

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: March 5, 2015 00:31

TeddyB1018
This ^^^

"The mix aside, the main problem is the lack of a smash song as an anchor and way in". smileys with beer

Yep...imagine TAKE IT SO HARD reworked into a STONES-version at the time just like ALMOST HEAR YOU SIGH (both Talk Is Cheap outtakes) and keeping the raw mixes.

***STEEL WHEELS*** DE LUXE.........
1. TAKE IT SO HARD (KR vocals)
2. MIXED EMOTIONS
3. FANCY MAN BLUES
4. TERRIFYING
5. HEARTS FOR SALE
6. WISH I'D NEVER MET YOU
7. HOLD ON TO YOUR HAT
8. ALMOST HEAR YOU SIGH
9. CONTINENTAL DRIFT
10. SAD SAD SAD
11. BREAK THE SPELL
12. SLIPPING AWAY (KR vocals)
Bonus Tracks:
13. BLINDED BY LOVE
14. CAN'T BE SEEN
15. STEEL WHEELS (early Rock and a hard place) instrumental.
16. FOR YOUR PRECIOUS LOVE

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 5, 2015 00:37

Yeah...where's the love for Wish I'd Never Met You? I first got it on the (Terrifying) 3" cd single and loved it ever since, great track. Ready Yourself sure sounds like a track they dusted off again for the Voodoo Sessions but still didn't finish, it's got potential. With a little work, Givin It Up could be pretty solid too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-05 00:40 by shadooby.

Date: March 5, 2015 00:56

Green Lady's post echoes my feelings about "Steel Wheels". I was very excited just about the existence of the album because it meant the Stones were back. But I cooled to the record very quickly. Until the Raw sessions came lout. It turned my view of SW upside down. And like others: Precious Love is a favorite of mine; Rock Hard Place a low point.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: March 5, 2015 01:00

It has some great numbers. I never liked Rock and a Hard Place though !

sc uk

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: March 5, 2015 01:04

exhpart
24FPS

exciting, here you can see, how subjective this is all!
for me, it´s the last great stones album. every track a killer, no filler. after that, it´s gone worse, till ABB features such low songwriting, that the live album SAL onely one year later features none of this!!!!!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 5, 2015 02:11

Pete66
Fine album, way better than Undercover, which gets a lot of praise on this site.
And they even left the best songs off! (Fancyman blues, For your precious love).

Pete.

That's because UNDERCOVER is a killer bizarre album. STEEL WHEELS is 2nd grade colouring.

Date: March 5, 2015 02:14

I don't like or love Continental Drift because it sounds like a Jagger solo song with the instrumental Masters Of Joujouka part pasted in. If that's the part that makes people love that song it's a bit odd considering the actual song is not very good.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 5, 2015 02:26

audun-eg
Not one song on the album I really don't like, but agree with the mix part of it. To much reverb over all, and not enough meat in the bottom end. Very '80s overproduced as well. This album would have been great to have remixed. There are great songs in there as well as nice arrangements.
I even think Rock And A Hard Place could have been a Stones Classic. The main reason it maybe isn't, is because Keith isn't driving the main riff, and he didn't bother to do it live either as opposed to Brown Sugar. Maybe the same with Sad Sad Sad.
Hold On To Your Hat is a fireball and holds some of the finest lead work from Keith ever recorded IMO.
Mixed Emotions is sort of almost too. Verses not really going anywhere, but the chorus and "bridge" is simply beautiful.
Continental Drift is one of their most experimental songs, a bit Satanic Majesties-like, and I think they succeeded with this one. A bonus was of course that the last part of it showed ideal for a concert intro. Have they ever had an intro before or after that was taken directly from their own album, and not either from another artist or composer?

Didn't they use 2000 Light Years From Home for the '72 tour?

Date: March 5, 2015 03:34

GasLightStreet
Pete66

Pete.

That's because UNDERCOVER is a killer bizarre album. STEEL WHEELS is 2nd grade colouring.

drinking smiley

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: March 5, 2015 03:41

those wheels are badass though.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: March 5, 2015 05:38

Natlanta

Never cared for the cover. Never understood what the title was getting at either.

Date: March 5, 2015 06:44

One of their worst covers. And LP titles. With one of their worst songs, RAAHP!

Date: March 5, 2015 08:31

blivet
Natlanta

Never cared for the cover. Never understood what the title was getting at either.

you'rrrrrre...not the on...ly....one...unn!

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 5, 2015 08:53

Slipping Away and Sad, Sad, Sad..
SSS is one of my post-81 faves. Its one of those gems that hits you the first time you hear it and reminds you of why you're a Stones fan.

Posted by: PTownshend ()
Date: March 5, 2015 09:14

I like Sad Sad Sad

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 5, 2015 18:15

The use of Continental Drift as intro music to their 1989/90 shows (along with "Take The A Train" the best concert intros ever, IMHO) made me appreciate the album version finally. It's a great tune, just not Stones by numbers, which is probably the reason why Drift is not loved by all too many people out there!

To despise every Stones track that is a bit "different" as "Mick solo number" reveals a one-dimensional view of the band really. Keith's open G-riffing on each and every or at least too many Stones track(s) would be a bit, eh, boring in the end, no? See "Main Defender"!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-05 18:21 by alimente.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1221
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home