Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: One Hit to the Body
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 3, 2015 18:31

The only problem I have with One Hit is the lack of dynamics between chorus and verses.

In Streets of Love they are over-exaggerated (just to make an example, no intended relation between SOL and One Hit), in One Hit they are totally absent.

It's a pity, because the first minute is one of the most powerful first minutes in the stones catalog.

C

Date: March 3, 2015 18:35

Good point, liddas!

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 3, 2015 18:42

treaclefingers
stanlove
DandelionPowderman
Round the 56:30-mark

I never understand why a singer would sing during rehearsels at this point. Jagger obviously has it down perfectly so there is no reason to put the 2 hours of wear and tear on your vocals for nothing. I would think they would have a back up singer for that..

I guess the rather obvious answer is because he enjoys singing.

. By this point they have rehearsed the songs for hours and you are actually trying to say he is putting wear and tear on his voice just because he enjoys singing the songs one more time infront of just the band when he knows he has a long tour ahead. Give me a break.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-03 18:46 by stanlove.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 3, 2015 19:32

stanlove
treaclefingers
stanlove
DandelionPowderman
Round the 56:30-mark

I never understand why a singer would sing during rehearsels at this point. Jagger obviously has it down perfectly so there is no reason to put the 2 hours of wear and tear on your vocals for nothing. I would think they would have a back up singer for that..

I guess the rather obvious answer is because he enjoys singing.

. By this point they have rehearsed the songs for hours and you are actually trying to say he is putting wear and tear on his voice just because he enjoys singing the songs one more time infront of just the band when he knows he has a long tour ahead. Give me a break.

what, no love, stan?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 4, 2015 06:14

Great track, I haven't listened to it in a long time. I'll have to correct that.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 4, 2015 13:44

One of the strongest intros, `powerful and brilliant.
Too tough could have been a nice song to play live, also very strong
And too tight from BTB.....a powerful one as well

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 4, 2015 16:54

The production and mix does not help this song. It feels like it never takes off. Perhaps a remix to give it some warmth would help. Otherwise it's always going to be the dud that could've that didn't do anything on an album that just blows.

It's astounding that three years later the same band would record Almost Hear You Sigh and Sad Sad Sad and actually sound alive.

Date: March 4, 2015 20:44

GasLightStreet
The production and mix does not help this song. It feels like it never takes off. Perhaps a remix to give it some warmth would help. Otherwise it's always going to be the dud that could've that didn't do anything on an album that just blows.

It's astounding that three years later the same band would record Almost Hear You Sigh and Sad Sad Sad and actually sound alive.

And while the production on Steel Wheels has been accused of being quite '80s' sounding, when I look at that tracklist, I do like most of the songs. I remember it being an exciting time when that album was released, and then seeing my first two Stones shows over 2 nights. Fantastic!

Date: March 5, 2015 02:16

STEEL WHEELS sounds a thousand times better than DIRTY WORK period. Although Rock And A Hard Place is absolute shit at least there's nothing pathetically awful sounding on SW like there is on DW (Winning Ugly, for one). That's where the 80s production garbage doesn't exist - SW doesn't sound like an 80s album, it sounds like a crispy clean very well produced demo. DW sucks.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 5, 2015 03:02

Jimmy Page played on Harlem Shuffle as well?

Date: March 5, 2015 05:42

SweetThing
Jimmy Page played on Harlem Shuffle as well?

I don't think that's true.

Maybe we can blame him for Winning Ugly or Back To Zero?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-05 05:42 by treaclefingers.

Date: March 5, 2015 10:55

GasLightStreet
STEEL WHEELS sounds a thousand times better than DIRTY WORK period. Although Rock And A Hard Place is absolute shit at least there's nothing pathetically awful sounding on SW like there is on DW (Winning Ugly, for one). That's where the 80s production garbage doesn't exist - SW doesn't sound like an 80s album, it sounds like a crispy clean very well produced demo. DW sucks.

Yes and no. Songs like Fight and Dirty Work, where Lillywhite didn't go berzerk with the reverb, sound better than comparable songs on SW like Hold On To Your Hat and Sad Sad Sad, imo. At least the mix is better, and the guitars, too. The Mick Jagger guitar sound on SW (of which there is a lot) sounds poor, imo.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 5, 2015 10:59

One Hit has a great intro, nice irst verse and chorus, and that's it. It doesn't really go anywhere, it's very repetitive and I can't stand Jagger's barking vocals.

Mathijs

Date: March 5, 2015 11:04

Mathijs
One Hit has a great intro, nice irst verse and chorus, and that's it. It doesn't really go anywhere, it's very repetitive and I can't stand Jagger's barking vocals.

Mathijs

I like the second build-up as well, where the acoustic guitar "re-starts" the tune.

Date: March 5, 2015 13:18

One of my favorites- in my top 10 of them. I only saw them do it once which was 9/1/89 which was my first concert ever by anyone

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: March 5, 2015 14:20

I agree with One Hit being repetetive and going nowhere. But Dirty Work, which has a similar feel to it, is a very strong track IMO. And - as DP already pointed out - well produced too. Just goes to show that "80s production" does not necessarily suck all the time...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-05 14:23 by Greenblues.

Date: March 5, 2015 15:57

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Yes and no. Songs like Fight and Dirty Work, where Lillywhite didn't go berzerk with the reverb, sound better than comparable songs on SW like Hold On To Your Hat and Sad Sad Sad, imo. At least the mix is better, and the guitars, too. The Mick Jagger guitar sound on SW (of which there is a lot) sounds poor, imo.

The mix might be better but the overall tone of anything on DW is too tinny, to clean even, a lot like SOME GIRLS, in that regard, whereas SW's sound is much warmer. The perception of the 80s production on DW probably has more to do with the sound of the album ie the EQ of the mix than something sounding like Culture Club or whatever.

Mick's guitar on Sad Sad Sad sounds pretty good, at least the intro. Nothing could save RAAHP since it's horrible all the way around. The rest of it? With exception to Almost Hear You Sigh the guitar sound of SW is a bit flat and, perhaps, typical. Like they're playing through Peaveys.

Date: March 5, 2015 16:35

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

The mix might be better but the overall tone of anything on DW is too tinny, to clean even, a lot like SOME GIRLS, in that regard, whereas SW's sound is much warmer. The perception of the 80s production on DW probably has more to do with the sound of the album ie the EQ of the mix than something sounding like Culture Club or whatever.

Mick's guitar on Sad Sad Sad sounds pretty good, at least the intro. Nothing could save RAAHP since it's horrible all the way around. The rest of it? With exception to Almost Hear You Sigh the guitar sound of SW is a bit flat and, perhaps, typical. Like they're playing through Peaveys.

I think the guitar sound on DW is much more similar to the Undercover, ER and SG-sound. The Pathe Marconi magic was still there. The warmth was gone on SW, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-05 16:39 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: March 5, 2015 16:39

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

I think the guitar sound on DW is much more similar to the Undercover, ER and SG-sound. The Pathe Marconi was still there. The warmth was gone on SW, imo.

yeah, it was like finally, at the end of the 80s, the Stones 'caught up' and went with that 80s sound, to their detriment. While I like the songs on the album, the sound is very Mick Jagger Primitive Cool, which really 'sounds' dated.

Too bad because Steel Wheels is a very good album.

Date: March 5, 2015 17:40

That's funny. I think the guitars sound better on SW than on DW! Not as processed. SW doesn't have the tight not enough bottom sound that DW has. SW is a bit more rounded. SW is not as bright.

It still doesn't sound very good... just a bit softer than DW. At least the SW songs are better, overall.

Date: March 5, 2015 18:08

GasLightStreet
That's funny. I think the guitars sound better on SW than on DW! Not as processed. SW doesn't have the tight not enough bottom sound that DW has. SW is a bit more rounded. SW is not as bright.

It still doesn't sound very good... just a bit softer than DW. At least the SW songs are better, overall.

OK, let's check out the sound on a couple of rockers from SW and DW a bit closer. SW isn't THAT bad, but I prefer the little extra something in Keith's sound on DW. I dunno how to describe it, grit won't be the right word - "clean punch"?

Both the SW tracks here are Mick with open G, whilst Keith is playing standard on the two DW tracks.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: March 5, 2015 20:18

If Dirty Work didn't have such a crummy cover and terrible drum sound, the album would have been better received. Personally I can't get past the terrible snare sound. The U2, "long-reverb-decay", snare sound ruins One Hit.

Had It With You is criminally underrated. I only wish the entire album was mixed dry like that. One Hit To The Body always came off like a cool track that got overproduced. If it was a more raw version like It Wont Take Long off A Bigger Bang, I think I'd dig it even more.

The truth is that Dirty Work was a forced record. The company needed a record. The Stones produced a record. Now we all have the record. The promo says it all...

Date: March 5, 2015 20:47

flacnvinyl
If Dirty Work didn't have such a crummy cover and terrible drum sound, the album would have been better received. Personally I can't get past the terrible snare sound. The U2, "long-reverb-decay", snare sound ruins One Hit.

Had It With You is criminally underrated. I only wish the entire album was mixed dry like that. One Hit To The Body always came off like a cool track that got overproduced. If it was a more raw version like It Wont Take Long off A Bigger Bang, I think I'd dig it even more.

The truth is that Dirty Work was a forced record. The company needed a record. The Stones produced a record. Now we all have the record. The promo says it all...

hyperbole much?

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: March 5, 2015 22:49

Great track, love it.....

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 5, 2015 23:08

one hit is a good song and the best of a very poor album. what were they thinking of when the released dirtywork. most of it is just a noise.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 5, 2015 23:24

Bit late to this, but I really like what Jimmy Page brings to this song (perhaps in the minority on that one). The 1980s was in some ways his worst ever period as a guitarist - incredibly sloppy and inconsistent even by his standards - but there was still enough of the old genius there and this track was perfect for him, I think. I also love Pagey's work with the B-Bender. He's not in the Clarence White league by any means, but he has a beautiful touch with it (on the live Ten Years Gone especially).

Date: March 5, 2015 23:33

Stoneburst
Bit late to this, but I really like what Jimmy Page brings to this song (perhaps in the minority on that one). The 1980s was in some ways his worst ever period as a guitarist - incredibly sloppy and inconsistent even by his standards - but there was still enough of the old genius there and this track was perfect for him, I think. I also love Pagey's work with the B-Bender. He's not in the Clarence White league by any means, but he has a beautiful touch with it (on the live Ten Years Gone especially).

+1

Posted by: hypnohighball ()
Date: March 5, 2015 23:45

Can't believe nobody's mentioned the 12" single mix - one of my favorites from them.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: March 6, 2015 01:30

One drawback to DW is Charlie not beeing up to par on a couple of tracks. Especially the title song. A little too much stumbling there. Not to mention Ronnies dreadful drumming on Sleep Tonight.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: March 6, 2015 01:43

audun-eg
One drawback to DW is Charlie not beeing up to par on a couple of tracks. Especially the title song. A little too much stumbling there. Not to mention Ronnies dreadful drumming on Sleep Tonight.

Ronnie is not a drummer as such, but he does some quite clever playing on Sleep Tonight which you wouldn't even hear Charlie doing. There is some pretty tricky fills on that track.
Besides this, The record must be an all-time low for Charlie. When he appears, his playing is either uninspired or sub-par.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1843
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home