Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
One Hit to the Body
Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: March 2, 2015 03:44

Did Jimmy Page really play on this and if so, why?? Keith is perfectly capable of playing the opening riff

Re: One Hit to the Body
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 2, 2015 04:11

Jimmy Page plays the solo. The rest is Keith and Ronnie.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 2, 2015 06:38

longlongwinter
Did Jimmy Page really play on this and if so, why?? Keith is perfectly capable of playing the opening riff

Jimmy Page played the solo on One Hit (To The Body) because supposedly Ronnie, Jimmy and Keith were hanging out jamming and Page wanted to hear what the Stones were doing so they invited him to do some overdubs. It was done AFTER Live Aid in Manhattan.

Keith does play the opening riff so being "perfectly capable" is moot. Ronnie plays the acoustic intro, Keith the riff.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: March 2, 2015 09:13

I have loved this song since I first heard it, hearing it live is on my bucket list!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 2, 2015 10:09

Theres is a bootleg from Toronto 1989, and the intro riff sounded so weak.........so sad

Posted by: tomekdp ()
Date: March 2, 2015 12:37

KeithNacho
Theres is a bootleg from Toronto 1989, and the intro riff sounded so weak.........so sad

Yeah, a brilliant track which somehow did not work live... Also heard it on some boots, never gave me the shivers like studio version almost always does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-02 12:38 by tomekdp.

Date: March 2, 2015 12:51

Round the 56:30-mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-02 12:59 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: March 2, 2015 17:25

Horrible live. Incredibly unflowing, especially when it kicks in in the intro.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: March 2, 2015 17:58

GasLightStreet
longlongwinter

Jimmy Page played the solo on One Hit (To The Body) because supposedly Ronnie, Jimmy and Keith were hanging out jamming and Page wanted to hear what the Stones were doing so they invited him to do some overdubs. It was done AFTER Live Aid in Manhattan.

Keith does play the opening riff so being "perfectly capable" is moot. Ronnie plays the acoustic intro, Keith the riff.

...I always believed Page did the intro!
Him doing a typical 'Keith'-thing, there, fitted the picture perfectly, to my ears.
that solo is sóóó 'Ronnie', imo; with that chaotic, rattling sound, and all these these nervous, feverish, agressive, 'unnecessary' high notes... winking smiley

So now it turnes out Page did a perfect 'Ronnie'-thing!
Never too old to learn something new... smoking smiley

Date: March 2, 2015 17:59

RoughJusticeOnYa
GasLightStreet
longlongwinter

Him doing a typical 'Keith'-thing, there, fitted the picture perfectly, to my ears.
that solo is sóóó 'Ronnie', imo; with that chaotic, rattling sound, and all these these nervous, feverish, agressive, 'unnecessary' high notes... winking smiley

The B-bender

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: March 2, 2015 18:11

Great song! The interaction of the Guitars (weaving?), the acoustic against the electric is perfect

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 2, 2015 18:22

DandelionPowderman

I was at that Concert and the Stones were on fire. I was expecting the same lame performance I saw in 1981 but was really surprised at how well they played. I don't remember them playing One Hit To The Body, but I do remember the Crowd really being into Undercover which I thought was odd.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 2, 2015 18:24

RoughJusticeOnYa
GasLightStreet
longlongwinter

Did you know that page plays the intro rhythm chords to I Can't Explain by the Who?

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: March 2, 2015 20:58

varilla
Great song! The interaction of the Guitars (weaving?), the acoustic against the electric is perfect

thumbs up

-i love this song.Intro takes me always to Hot Sunny Summer...Dont know which year...but it´s just summer in the eighties.

This is one of the 5 songs to send Mars to tell them "What Does Mean Rolling Stones Song"

Date: March 2, 2015 21:47

stanlove
DandelionPowderman

I was at that Concert and the Stones were on fire. I was expecting the same lame performance I saw in 1981 but was really surprised at how well they played. I don't remember them playing One Hit To The Body, but I do remember the Crowd really being into Undercover which I thought was odd.

It's amazing how Keith sometimes can not find the timing. Hilarious, really, considering... and on this one he comes in completely wrong and it never does anything. The song takes a bath.

Date: March 2, 2015 21:51

GasLightStreet
stanlove
DandelionPowderman

It's amazing how Keith sometimes can not find the timing. Hilarious, really, considering... and on this one he comes in completely wrong and it never does anything. The song takes a bath.

Didn't Charlie do some weird stuff just when Keith got it together? Seemingly, it sent him right off again smiling smiley

Posted by: MrBobMartini ()
Date: March 2, 2015 22:08

Page's solos were always my least favorite part of the studio version. It just sounds like noise to me. It's sort of a Ronnie solo, but without Ronnie's sensibility and touch. I'll also have to disagree with just about everyone on this thread so far. I think it sounded pretty good live. I actually prefer that live Toronto version to the album version.

Date: March 2, 2015 22:11

MrBobMartini
Page's solos were always my least favorite part of the studio version. It just sounds like noise to me. It's sort of a Ronnie solo, but without Ronnie's sensibility and touch. I'll also have to disagree with just about everyone on this thread so far. I think it sounded pretty good live. I actually prefer that live Toronto version to the album version.

I think many posters are referring to the problems they had in the beginning of the song, and the fact that this crappy audio has Keith's guitar a bit low in the mix, without any grit.

Apart from that, I agree that it's a good version.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: March 2, 2015 23:15

MrBobMartini

I remember enjoying it when it was played at Shea Stadium in '89. The song is one of my latter day faves by the Stones. LOVE the video, too.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 3, 2015 04:11

Roscoe
MrBobMartini

I remember enjoying it when it was played at Shea Stadium in '89. The song is one of my latter day faves by the Stones. LOVE the video, too.

while I agree with you I think it's funny we consider a 30 year old song 'latter day stones'.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 3, 2015 04:24

<<I think it's funny we consider a 30 year old song 'latter day stones'.>>

Not really, when you consider that most of their 400+ songs were released by then. Their output in the last 30 years pales in comparison to their first 20. If they had remained as productive as they were in the eighties, an album every 2 or 3 years through to the present day, then we would look upon One Hit as "mid-period Stones".

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: March 3, 2015 14:00

The rehearsal clip of One Hit actually doesn't sound too bad. The Toronto version starts off like a trainwreck when Keith pulls the riff completely out of time. I think if they've played it more frequently during the tour, it could have developed into a strong number.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: March 3, 2015 16:23

stonehearted
<<I think it's funny we consider a 30 year old song 'latter day stones'.>>

Not really, when you consider that most of their 400+ songs were released by then. Their output in the last 30 years pales in comparison to their first 20. If they had remained as productive as they were in the eighties, an album every 2 or 3 years through to the present day, then we would look upon One Hit as "mid-period Stones".

Sorry, should have said:

I think it's funny I consider a 30 year old song 'latter day stones'.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 3, 2015 17:02

Listened to those two versions here - the rehearsal one and Toronto - and I can only come to one conclusion: it is not a bad song at all, but just a wrong band! I had the same feeling also with the original studio version that the guys sound a bit lost and forced there, trying something which doesn't come out naturally, but the live versions make that very clear.

Probably had their played more, it might have worked better, but I am skeptical, and understand them very well for dropping the song.

- Doxa

Date: March 3, 2015 17:14

Doxa
Listened to those two versions here - the rehearsal one and Toronto - and I can only come to one conclusion: it is not a bad song at all, but just a wrong band! I had the same feeling also with the original studio version that the guys sound a bit lost and forced there, trying something which doesn't come out naturally, but the live versions make that very clear.

Probably had their played more, it might have worked better, but I am skeptical, and understand them very well for dropping the song.

- Doxa

Part of their very short "hard rock"-career. It started with the Too Tough-chorus, and ended with this one.

Both are pretty good songs, but I agree with you. Taylor could perhaps have made something out of them, but they were out of their turf here...

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: March 3, 2015 17:27

The Toronto '89 intro is shaky, but everything falls into place nicely. Charlie kills on it.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 3, 2015 17:39

DandelionPowderman

I never understand why a singer would sing during rehearsels at this point. Jagger obviously has it down perfectly so there is no reason to put the 2 hours of wear and tear on your vocals for nothing. I would think they would have a back up singer for that..

Date: March 3, 2015 17:48

stanlove
DandelionPowderman

I never understand why a singer would sing during rehearsels at this point. Jagger obviously has it down perfectly so there is no reason to put the 2 hours of wear and tear on your vocals for nothing. I would think they would have a back up singer for that..

I guess the rather obvious answer is because he enjoys singing.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 3, 2015 17:50

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Part of their very short "hard rock"-career. It started with the Too Tough-chorus, and ended with this one.

Both are pretty good songs, but I agree with you. Taylor could perhaps have made something out of them, but they were out of their turf here...

I don't know if one Taylor could have taylored it enough to work, since I think the biggest problem lies in the very core of the band (Keith-Charlie-Bill) plus the singer sounds like some karaoke singer having no clue what he is up to... I guess had they given it to some Guns'n'Roses or Bon Jovi to record, we might now have one more 80's rock anthem to get tired of... I mean, with a suitable 'modern' drummer a player like Slash might have easily could have done a better hard-rocked Keith-riff updation in a modern setting (a'la "Black Or White", or what that Jacko's song was called?) than the master himself, and Axl could have cried out loud those lyrics much better home than our Mick.

But kudos for the Stones trying something out of their comfort zone, and trying to update their sound to sound 'current'. It has been long since they tried anything to the effect.

- Doxa

Date: March 3, 2015 17:55

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

I don't know if one Taylor could have taylored it enough to work, since I think the biggest problem lies in the very core of the band (Keith-Charlie-Bill) plus the singer sounds like some karaoke singer having no clue what he is up to... I guess had they given it to some Guns'n'Roses or Bon Jovi to record, we might now have one more 80's rock anthem to get tired of... I mean, with a suitable 'modern' drummer a player like Slash might have easily could have done a better hard-rocked Keith-riff updation in a modern setting (a'la "Black Or White", or what that Jacko's song was called?) than the master himself, and Axl could have cried out loud those lyrics much better home than our Mick.

But kudos for the Stones trying something out of their comfort zone, and trying to update their sound to sound 'current'. It has been long since they tried anything to the effect.

- Doxa

I was just thinking Taylor could have done some Slash-esque licks on them to please the 80s kids. After all, he learned a lot of what he plays off Taylor smiling smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home