Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Mojo - Glyn Johns "Why Mick Taylor Had To Go"
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 3, 2015 07:55

DandelionPowderman

AND: TWFNO is not one of "those" songs, as Keith both played on it, sang on it, soloed on it (albeit short), played guitar synth on it (!) and wrote it with Mick. Taylor coloured it more than nicely.

The official liner notes have only Taylor and Wyman playing a synthesizer. Oh, what song did Taylor play congas on, FF? Can't think of it off the top of my head.

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: March 3, 2015 09:33

DoomandGloom
Mathijs
It does allign with a remark by Keith about Taylor, from the early 80's I believe. Richards stated something like 'Taylor thought he could do it all, write, produce, play drums and keyboards, but in the end all he is is a lead guitarist. A marvelous one though'.

Mathijs
I bet if we look far enough back there's a similar quote regarding Brian and his tinkering with various instruments and production, I sense an ugly pattern here.

For many years I've struggled with this 'ugly pattern' of which you speak, asking myself "is this merely a sense of an ugly pattern, or, is it an ugly pattern?" Back and forth I would go between the two. For awhile I considered the possibility that perhaps Keith Richards didn't give one good goddamn about whether or not Brian Jones or Mick Taylor could do it all. However, I realized what a mistake it was; to draw a conclusion with the pencil of conjecture.

I knew that Keith Richards was intimidated by the genius of Brian Jones; I knew he was intimidated by the genius of Mick Taylor, doubly so for Mick Taylor; for not only could Mick Taylor play every instrument with virtuosity, he could write '100 years Ago' and 'Till The Next Goodbye' - not to mention Angie and Wild Horses, which we all know did not come from the pen of Keith Richards; Such steller melodicism, far beyond the latter's grasp.

Soon, I began to question whether Keith Richards had anything at all to do with 'She's A Rainbow' 'Ruby Tuesday' and 'Gimme Shelter'? While it is a given that none of the aforementioned has the inherent melodic genius of '100 Years Ago' and 'Till The Next Goodbye' or the outro on 'Moonlight Mile' and, who on this green earth could forget the amazing 'Leather Jacket'?? (unfortunately I must raise my hand here and confess that I forgot it). The three songs mentioned at the beginning of this paragraph are certainly out of Mr. Richards range. For a time, this unassailable conclusion had me thinking that perhaps Mick Jagger was writing songs with 15 year old Mick Taylor? After all, was not Mozart writing for symphony when he was 15?

Several years of aggresive Xanax and Welbutrin therapy helped ease my persistent obsession with the failure of the Rolling Stones to recognize the genius of Mick Taylor and Brian Jones. The poseur Richards had finally ceased to be a wart on the beauty of an uncredited Mick Taylor composition ('Can't You Hear Me Knocking').

As one who has struggled with this question...'a true ugly pattern, or, a SENSE of an ugly pattern' I urge you to not take xanax with hard liquor and drive.

Date: March 3, 2015 09:56

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

AND: TWFNO is not one of "those" songs, as Keith both played on it, sang on it, soloed on it (albeit short), played guitar synth on it (!) and wrote it with Mick. Taylor coloured it more than nicely.

The official liner notes have only Taylor and Wyman playing a synthesizer. Oh, what song did Taylor play congas on, FF? Can't think of it off the top of my head.

I know, but:

– We used a guitar synthesizer called a hi-fly. It's a white flat box that looks like a bathroom scale when you put it on the floor, and you can get a lot of different sounds out of it.

- Keith Richards, 1974

Date: March 3, 2015 09:58

TonyMo
DoomandGloom
Mathijs
It does allign with a remark by Keith about Taylor, from the early 80's I believe. Richards stated something like 'Taylor thought he could do it all, write, produce, play drums and keyboards, but in the end all he is is a lead guitarist. A marvelous one though'.

Mathijs
I bet if we look far enough back there's a similar quote regarding Brian and his tinkering with various instruments and production, I sense an ugly pattern here.

For many years I've struggled with this 'ugly pattern' of which you speak, asking myself "is this merely a sense of an ugly pattern, or, is it an ugly pattern?" Back and forth I would go between the two. For awhile I considered the possibility that perhaps Keith Richards didn't give one good goddamn about whether or not Brian Jones or Mick Taylor could do it all. However, I realized what a mistake it was; to draw a conclusion with the pencil of conjecture.

I knew that Keith Richards was intimidated by the genius of Brian Jones; I knew he was intimidated by the genius of Mick Taylor, doubly so for Mick Taylor; for not only could Mick Taylor play every instrument with virtuosity, he could write '100 years Ago' and 'Till The Next Goodbye' - not to mention Angie and Wild Horses, which we all know did not come from the pen of Keith Richards; Such steller melodicism, far beyond the latter's grasp.

Soon, I began to question whether Keith Richards had anything at all to do with 'She's A Rainbow' 'Ruby Tuesday' and 'Gimme Shelter'? While it is a given that none of the aforementioned has the inherent melodic genius of '100 Years Ago' and 'Till The Next Goodbye' or the outro on 'Moonlight Mile' and, who on this green earth could forget the amazing 'Leather Jacket'?? (unfortunately I must raise my hand here and confess that I forgot it). The three songs mentioned at the beginning of this paragraph are certainly out of Mr. Richards range. For a time, this unassailable conclusion had me thinking that perhaps Mick Jagger was writing songs with 15 year old Mick Taylor? After all, was not Mozart writing for symphony when he was 15?

Several years of aggresive Xanax and Welbutrin therapy helped ease my persistent obsession with the failure of the Rolling Stones to recognize the genius of Mick Taylor and Brian Jones. The poseur Richards had finally ceased to be a wart on the beauty of an uncredited Mick Taylor composition ('Can't You Hear Me Knocking').

As one who has struggled with this question...'a true ugly pattern, or, a SENSE of an ugly pattern' I urge you to not take xanax with hard liquor and drive.

LOL! grinning smiley keep 'em coming, Tony!

Date: March 3, 2015 10:02

big4
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

The "hit-part" was a joke, but never a joke without some truth involved. There aren't that many songs released where Taylor and Mick worked that closely together. I'm not sure, even on GHS and IORR, that those songs are the better ones, when we compare with Angie, Coming Down Again, If You Can't Rock Me, Fingerprint File and Luxury. Let's call it a draw, and keep it levelled? smiling smiley

No doubt Keith still had it in him to produce fantastic stuff with Mick. Obviously Taylor did too. Now, bring Wood into the mix...has he worked on any tunes with Jagger without Keith around? Didn't he have the bones of IORR with Bowie and Jagger before Keith stole it for the Stones? In any case it seems the dynamic changed pretty quickly back to Mick and Keith. peace

In retrospect I don't think it did, at least not like it was up to say Exile, because after Taylor left Mick worked closely with Preston on B&B and wrote a lot of SG on his own. It seems that even after Taylor left Mick and Keith's writing partnership never resumed. They seem to have more or less wrote separately, sometimes adding to what the other wrote and other times not. I'm not saying that true song collaboration didn't happen between the two but it seems more the exception than the norm.

I think you're right. After 1976 they started to bring in their own songs, instead of writing them together.

However, they still collaborated. Like Mick said in 1978: "I think Before They Make Me Run is the first song Keith has completed alone since Happy".

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 3, 2015 10:47

DandelionPowderman
Like Mick said in 1978: "I think Before They Make Me Run is the first song Keith has completed alone since Happy".

Or like Mick said in 1978:
I wrote most of Before They Make Me Run, but it was Keith's idea.

Date: March 3, 2015 10:48

BowieStone
DandelionPowderman
Like Mick said in 1978: "I think Before They Make Me Run is the first song Keith has completed alone since Happy".

Or:

– Keith's got a strong optimistic streak. His last complete song was Happy. And he wrote nearly all of this one except for one or two Oh yeahs in the middle. It's definitely his song.
- Mick Jagger, 1978

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 3, 2015 10:55

DandelionPowderman
BowieStone
DandelionPowderman

Or:

– Keith's got a strong optimistic streak. His last complete song was Happy. And he wrote nearly all of this one except for one or two Oh yeahs in the middle. It's definitely his song.
- Mick Jagger, 1978

There you go, that makes it crystal clear.

Date: March 3, 2015 11:14

BowieStone
DandelionPowderman
BowieStone
DandelionPowderman

Or:

- Mick Jagger, 1978

There you go, that makes it crystal clear.

He he, I suspect Mick is taking the piss here. He was at his most obnoxious in interviews round this time grinning smiley

Date: March 3, 2015 12:29

Naturalust
lapaz62
Didn't the Eagles sack Johns because he was the one that was difficult to deal with. Producers are employed by the band, not the other way round.

I think Glyn is a better Engineer than Producer, (Naturalust quote)

Exactly. That is one thing I took away from his (rather dull) book.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: March 3, 2015 12:45

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

That's right. Taylor created a similar sound on his '79 solo album.
The info about Taylor playing the Hi-Fly guitar synth is coming from time is on our side.com. Don't know if it is correct.

Date: March 3, 2015 12:49

LuxuryStones
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

The info about Taylor playing the Hi-Fly guitar synth is coming from time is on our side.com. Don't know if it is correct.

They are both playing it on TWFNO. Listen to the ending of Keith's solo here:

Date: March 3, 2015 12:55

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

I don't hear a guit synth at all?

Date: March 3, 2015 12:58

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

It's not a keytar, it's just a scale you're stepping on to make weird sounds, isn't it? Listen at 0:39 to hear Keith's sound.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-03 13:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: March 3, 2015 13:10

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

It's not a keytar, it's just a scale you're stepping on to make weird sounds, isn't it? Listen at 0:39 to hear Keith's sound.

Sounds more like an effects processor / phaser to me. The real synth sound on TWFNO is played on a keyboard I assume.The Arp Avatar was the first "real" guit synth, as far as I know it.

Date: March 3, 2015 13:13

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Sounds more like an effects processor / phaser to me. The real synth sound on TWFNO is played on a keyboard I assume.The Arp Avatar was the first "real" guit synth, as far as I know it.

Well, I'm not an expert on guitar synths, far from it, but they both said they played it on this track. And the sound is similar to the one I posted in the clip - but you could be right, of course.

Date: March 3, 2015 13:31

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Well, I'm not an expert on guitar synths, far from it, but they both said they played it on this track. And the sound is similar to the one I posted in the clip - but you could be right, of course.

It was revolutionary at that time I think, but you can still hear the original guitar sound. That AVATAR created a 100% polyphonic signal, you couldn't hear it was a guitar, so to speak.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: March 3, 2015 13:46

Stoneburst
Pretty tasteless stuff. Glyn Johns ought to know by now that there are ways to promote your book that don't involve character assassination. It also doesn't explain why Taylor quit, since he wasn't fired and the Stones obviously didn't want him to leave.

imo, the 'teneur' of the article was more like "Why Mick Taylor Had To Go ... AND LEAVE THE STUDIO, THAT DAY."

I agree with Stoneburst: "It also doesn't explain why Taylor quit, since he wasn't fired and the Stones obviously didn't want him to leave."

Sounds like part of a marketing plan to me too.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 3, 2015 14:03

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Keith's solo? That's Taylor.

Mathijs

Date: March 3, 2015 14:17

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Keith's solo? That's Taylor.

Mathijs

No. Listen more closely. I thought that for years as well, but the endings of his phrases are revealing. It's Keith's sound, Keith's technique and Keith's lack of vibrato.

Add the fact that Taylor never has played this part like this when he has played this tune live ever since, and we got pretty good indications that it's Keith playing here.

+ that Keith is credited on electric guitar. The other potential guitar he could have played, the Strat in the right channel, sound 100% like Taylor.

It is an important transitional part of the song, imo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-03 15:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 3, 2015 16:08

TonyMo
DoomandGloom
Mathijs

Mathijs

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 3, 2015 16:21

Roadster32
Can anyone post the whole article?

[www.mojo4music.com]

Did someone read the full article?

C

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: March 3, 2015 17:48

liddas
Roadster32

[www.mojo4music.com]

C

Nope. But I've read that part of the book at the bookstore. You can see that Glyn wasn't that fond of Mick Taylor. Especially after Exile on Main Street. Glyn said that Taylor's personality changed a lot because of the drugs. He was like a spoiled kid and tough one to work with.
Glyn was also glad that Taylor left the Stones. He wasn't that keen on him. But around 1984 he've met Taylor again and he was clean during that time and Glyn did liked him again.

But again, I didn't read the article. Just the chapters in the book.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 3, 2015 18:01

DiamondDog7
liddas
Roadster32

[www.mojo4music.com]

C

Nope. But I've read that part of the book at the bookstore. You can see that Glyn wasn't that fond of Mick Taylor. Especially after Exile on Main Street. Glyn said that Taylor's personality changed a lot because of the drugs. He was like a spoiled kid and tough one to work with.
Glyn was also glad that Taylor left the Stones. He wasn't that keen on him. But around 1984 he've met Taylor again and he was clean during that time and Glyn did liked him again.

Thank you!

C

Date: March 3, 2015 18:01

DiamondDog7
liddas
Roadster32

[www.mojo4music.com]

C

And the rest of the band weren't? smiling smiley

It's weird that a supposed fair and straight guy like Glyn really is writing this stuff - it baffles me a bit, since I haven't heard this about Taylor elsewhere...

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: March 3, 2015 22:01

DandelionPowderman
DiamondDog7
liddas
Roadster32

[www.mojo4music.com]

C

It's weird that a supposed fair and straight guy like Glyn really is writing this stuff - it baffles me a bit, since I haven't heard this about Taylor elsewhere...

It wasn't about the drugs and the whole band here. It was about Taylor who've changed a lot after the Exile sessions because of the drugs. According to Glyn MT was a very nice and quiet when he joined the Stones in 1969. But after the Exile sessions his ego grew. That's why Glyn tried to explain the whole thing about MT playing all kinds of instruments + vocals and recording this whole thing. MT was pushing his ideas through on an irritating level that Glyn lost his mind on this. He erased the recordings and overdubs. MT left the studio very angry about this...

I'm a huge MT fan and I didn't expect this from him. smiling smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 3, 2015 22:37

DiamondDog7
DandelionPowderman
DiamondDog7
liddas
Roadster32

[www.mojo4music.com]

C

It wasn't about the drugs and the whole band here. It was about Taylor who've changed a lot after the Exile sessions because of the drugs. According to Glyn MT was a very nice and quiet when he joined the Stones in 1969. But after the Exile sessions his ego grew. That's why Glyn tried to explain the whole thing about MT playing all kinds of instruments + vocals and recording this whole thing. MT was pushing his ideas through on an irritating level that Glyn lost his mind on this. He erased the recordings and overdubs. MT left the studio very angry about this...

I'm a huge MT fan and I didn't expect this from him. smiling smiley

Geez, Taylor deserved to have an ego and explore his musical ideas with a passion. He was a friggin' band member and probably the best musician of the bunch. So he changed? Everybody does, it's the spice of life....he didn't change according to Glyn's expectations...last time I checked Glyn was never a Rolling Stone....shame on him for erasing recording and overdubs, who wouldn't be pissed about that. He's the damn engineer, just get the stuff ALL the band does on tape and keep yer personal judgement about what's right for the songs to yourself. I think this is more of a statement about Glyn's ego getting too big and out of control, him wanting to produce the Stones without having the personality or the skills to do so effectively.

Maybe Jagger was siding with John's in this particular case and that empowered him to take such drastic steps concerning Taylor's work. I'd love to hear those erased tracks, probably magical just like everything else Taylor did at the time. Besides Keith says in his Munich interview that that is exactly what they wanted at the time, a multi-instrumentalist who could contribute to the music in a variety of ways, sounds like Taylor was trying to do exactly that.

peace

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 4, 2015 03:24

I found John's book quite odd. Apart from a few obvious factual errors, he decides to pick on Mick Taylor, of all people. He says it is not for him to say what happened at the Let It Be sessions (really? Why bother with the book then? Is he afraid The Beatles won't ask him to produce their next album?), but relates an incident where Taylor allegedly overdubbed drums on a Stones song? Which one please? Also, while I agree with his assessment of Spector's LIB album, I have heard Glyn John's version, and The Beatles were right - it was unreleasable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-04 03:53 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Gemini ()
Date: March 4, 2015 13:49

71Tele
I found John's book quite odd. Apart from a few obvious factual errors, he decides to pick on Mick Taylor, of all people. He says it is not for him to say what happened at the Let It Be sessions (really? Why bother with the book then? Is he afraid The Beatles won't ask him to produce their next album?), but relates an incident where Taylor allegedly overdubbed drums on a Stones song? Which one please? Also, while I agree with his assessment of Spector's LIB album, I have heard Glyn John's version, and The Beatles were right - it was unreleasable.

Strange too because he's talked about LIB sessions in interviews.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 4, 2015 17:48

If anybody should be in doubt

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1995
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home