Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Mojo - Glyn Johns "Why Mick Taylor Had To Go"
Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: February 27, 2015 13:31

Can anyone post the whole article?

[www.mojo4music.com]

Re: Mojo - Glyn Johns "Why Mick Taylor Had To Go"
Posted by: novica ()
Date: February 27, 2015 13:38

sounds interesting,
at least , a new "angle" to this event...

Date: February 27, 2015 13:42

I have never seen an article with that many factual mistakes smiling smiley

Posted by: ash ()
Date: February 27, 2015 14:08

so i'm not sure why it's okay for Glyn to talk about this when he says it's not his place to discuss what happened when George left the fatuous foursome.
Johns is one of the best studio technicians ever, up there with Larry Levine,Britz,Emerick,Addey etc.. but i found his book extremely disappointing.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 27, 2015 14:44

novica
sounds interesting,
at least , a new "angle" to this event...

Yeah it's turning into a "Rashomon" type of thing. confused smiley

Years ago Andy Johns said he was responsible for MT's leaving. Acc. to him, as the band had crossed him (on sth I forgot). AJ took revenge by successfully talking MT out of the band.

Now I'm waiting for Rose Taylor to finally confess "how I talked hubby Mick into leaving the Stones!" A world-exclusive for "Simply Knitting" mag? >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 27, 2015 15:06

What does the article say? The endless guitar-solo-era was over? Zappa didn't mind and I love his records past 1974---

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 27, 2015 15:10

I dont know. Taylor asked Glyn why he removed tracks? OK.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: February 27, 2015 15:26

Come On
What does the article say? The endless guitar-solo-era was over? Zappa didn't mind and I love his records past 1974---

That's right, but Zappa was the boss.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 27, 2015 17:06

Believable for sure but Glyn should keep some things to himself. I was an engineer, not anywhere near Glyn's pedigree, still I promised myself never to tell negative tales regarding those who hired me. An engineer. like a butler is privy to most everything going on around a band, that's a trust and it includes not tarnishing the artist's public image. Mick Taylor as well. Some other idiot engineer wrote his memories of Fleetwood Mac in their prime, trashy stuff, poor taste. Engineers and producers are not the stars...
"When people ask me questions about 'What did George Martin really do for you?,' I have only one answer, 'What does he do now?' I noticed you had no answer for that! It's not a putdown, it's the truth," John Lennon

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-27 17:14 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: February 27, 2015 17:12

A "long and successful solo career"?

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: February 27, 2015 17:36

Pretty tasteless stuff. Glyn Johns ought to know by now that there are ways to promote your book that don't involve character assassination. It also doesn't explain why Taylor quit, since he wasn't fired and the Stones obviously didn't want him to leave.

Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: February 27, 2015 18:10

Strange...given the "pass" that Keith gets for his behaviour, I wonder why he picks on Little Mick?

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: February 27, 2015 18:49

mrpaulincanada
Strange...given the "pass" that Keith gets for his behaviour, I wonder why he picks on Little Mick?

maybe Little Mick is not Saint Mick T as some people believe here spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 27, 2015 19:08

Stoneburst
It also doesn't explain why Taylor quit, since he wasn't fired and the Stones obviously didn't want him to leave.

In a way, it does explain why Taylor quit, at least according to Johns' take of things. I must say that I always had the impression that Taylor quit not because anything was wrong with the Stones, their development, personal and business relationships, but because he believed at the time that he could stand on his own feet. His Stones membership propelled him into superstardom, he played with Billy Preston, Mike Oldfield & whoever else and had the chance to start a band with Jack Bruce...yeah, standing on one's own feet, like Clapton or Jeff Beck after leaving the Yardbirds and Bluesbreakers, not needing the Stones any further, that's what I believe went on in his head at the time.

Posted by: fuzzbox ()
Date: February 27, 2015 19:17

alimente
Stoneburst
It also doesn't explain why Taylor quit, since he wasn't fired and the Stones obviously didn't want him to leave.

In a way, it does explain why Taylor quit, at least according to Johns' take of things. I must say that I always had the impression that Taylor quit not because anything was wrong with the Stones, their development, personal and business relationships, but because he believed at the time that he could stand on his own feet. His Stones membership propelled him into superstardom, he played with Billy Preston, Mike Oldfield & whoever else and had the chance to start a band with Jack Bruce...yeah, standing on one's own feet, like Clapton or Jeff Beck after leaving the Yardbirds and Bluesbreakers, not needing the Stones any further, that's what I believe went on in his head at the time.

This.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 27, 2015 19:24

These articles are not worth the value of the paper on which they are printed.

Sensationalist bullshit!

C

Date: February 27, 2015 19:26

Well, things went as I was thinking they would.

Rather than discussing and speculating on a short excerpt I would have prefered to read the whole article.

It seems to be impossible to post anything on this board about Mick T without having a stupid discusssion. All the pro and con Taylor freaks get ballistic without knowing what's written in the rest of the 7 1/2 pages.

Has anyone of you read the whole thing?

I suppose no. So please someone post it and we can get into details. Thank you.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: February 27, 2015 19:26

There's not much here. Maybe the book reveals more about MT leaving.....

Date: February 27, 2015 19:29

Roadster32

I would have prefered to read the whole article.

Buy the magazine you cheapskate.

Date: February 27, 2015 19:35

fuzzbox
Roadster32

Hey newbe, manners seem to be a foreign word for you.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 27, 2015 19:47

Sounds like complete BS to me. I don't buy it. It was Glyn who was not being included in Stones projects after Exile as far as I know. It's possible he had issues with Taylor since Taylor and his little brother Andy were exploring the whole heroin thing together during that time. But the whole "he goes or I go" thing may have occurred in reference to one mixing session but I think it's out of context in terms of Taylor leaving the band.

And dcba, Andy Johns did say he was partly responsible for Taylor leaving but it was far from revenge. The story is that he was tight with Taylor and privy to his dissatisfaction, convinced Jack Bruce to invite Taylor to join his band and suggested to Taylor it would be an exciting move for him.

By now we all know why MT left the Stones, because he wanted to do other things.

peace

Date: February 27, 2015 19:56

Roadster32
fuzzbox
Roadster32

Manners? You want to steal someones work. Too cheap to buy a nice magazine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-27 19:57 by fuzzbox.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: February 27, 2015 20:04

I remember a radio interview with Glyn Johns where he said he walked out of the Black and Blue sessions after a bust up with Keith.Has he worked with the band since ?

sc uk

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 27, 2015 20:06

alimente

In a way, it does explain why Taylor quit, at least according to Johns' take of things. I must say that I always had the impression that Taylor quit not because anything was wrong with the Stones, their development, personal and business relationships, but because he believed at the time that he could stand on his own feet.

That's more or less Nick Kent's theory about MT's departure. MT felt he had sucked all he could from the band, plus the Stones were a creatively dry dying entity so it was time to make the right strategic move : leave and join another ascending band.
In that respect joinng a supergroup was the best career decision.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: February 27, 2015 20:11

OK, so the article indicates that Taylor's personality underwent a radical change caused by his drug intake in around 72 or 73.

These days, it is common knowledge that "recreational" drug use can trigger psychic illness such psychosis (Barrett, Green, Kirwan) or depression (who knows how many other rock stars) or others, and a change in somebody's personality is usually a symptom of psychic problems.

Common mental illnesses aren't fully understood even today, so it does not make sense to speculate if or what might have been Taylor's problem back in the day.

All we know is that he went through many, many years of drug addiction even after he had left the band that made him popular, and that he is still around and seems to be doing OK health-wise now. We don't know in what way his leaving the Stones has contributed to his recovery from his health problems (even if it was "just" an addiction problem), but he has recovered, and that's what counts.

A few years back when bassist Bob Brunning died, the news reports said he was scheduled to appear in the studio later that day for some studio sessions for a Mick Taylor album. Here's hoping that Mick can finish this album and release it soon.

Date: February 27, 2015 20:14

fuzzbox
Roadster32
fuzzbox
Roadster32

Manners? You want to steal someones work. Too cheap to buy a nice magazine.

Maybe it's not available where I live.
But you're a good boy, I'll be watching you, sweetie.

Date: February 27, 2015 20:27

Roadster32

Maybe it's not available where I live.
But you're a good boy, I'll be watching you, sweetie.

Your IP address tells me it is. smileys with beer

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: February 27, 2015 21:18

I skimmed it in the shop and will prob buy it tomorrow. The bit on MT wasn't much longer than the excerpt on the website “He turned from from being a quiet, softly spoken, charming young man into a raving egomaniac junkie,” Johns tells MOJO in the latest issue of the magazine (April 2015/ # 257). “I was mixing the record… and said to Mick Jagger, ‘Either he goes or I go.’”

There's something about Taylor wanting remixes. It was a bit confusing because he says "him or me" and the next bit is about the Stones getting rid of him (Johns) because he asked for royalties.

Posted by: Loose ()
Date: February 27, 2015 21:26

I can recall the context of the time... supergroups, Blind Faith and the rest. Mick Taylor was so young and success had come so easily to him... he thoought he could go on to greater things. Understandable at his age back then not to accept that he had already reached the pinnacle

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 27, 2015 21:44

I think the Clapton outgrowing the Yardbirds is somewhat parallel, except the Yardbirds weren't the f-ing Rolling Stones, and Taylor never threatened their limelight again. I think there's more to Mick Taylor's story than we might ever know. Something dark happened to him mentally. Look how he went from a tiny, skinny sylph like creature to a big fat pudge. And it looks like he still has a hard time slimming down. This isn't a knock on Mick's habits, but sometimes it's a symptom of deep depression. His genius, like Brian's, might have come at a price.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1592
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home