Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT. Shorter versions of songs on remasters - a new trend? Springsteen+N.Young
Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: January 30, 2015 14:39

Hello!
Don't know, if or where this has been discussed, but it seems odd to me,
when artists shorten their songs on new remasters.

Examples:

Bruce Springsteen: "My Father's House" from "Nebraska"
the outro, which is about ~30 seconds long is completely not there anymore.

Neil Young: "When You Dance You Can Really Love" from "After The Gold Rush"
is faded about 21 seconds earlier on the pono version.

Do you have more information on this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-30 21:13 by Rank Stranger.

Re: OT. Shorter versions of songs on remasters - a new trend?
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: January 30, 2015 18:15

Well, on the other hand Slave on remastered Tattoo You is longer than on the original one >grinning smiley<

Re: OT. Shorter versions of songs on remasters - a new trend? Springsteen+N.Young
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 30, 2015 21:24

It's possible that there was damage to the original master tapes which dictated the earlier endings... But I'm guessing it's probably just a case of the artists continuing to tweak their music and they decided the outros didn't really serve the songs so they cut them.

Highly doubt this is a new trend. peace

Re: OT. Shorter versions of songs on remasters - a new trend? Springsteen+N.Young
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 30, 2015 22:33

From memory on the 40 Licks set they used edited versions on a
number of tracks and sliced about a minute from the end of It's Only Rock N Roll ........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 30, 2015 22:52

Rockman
number of tracks and sliced about a minute from the end of It's Only Rock N Roll ........
Thats different. I think the OP means when artists recently have been releasing newly remastered versions of their albums, and the songs are edited on said original albums. I expect most things to be edited on a greatest hits, but that would be unconscionable if the Stones re-released the Its Only Rock And Roll Album and took out a minute and a half of the track.

Date: January 30, 2015 22:59

Ahh yeah I get ya ....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 30, 2015 23:07

RollingFreak
Rockman
Thats different. I think the OP means when artists recently have been releasing newly remastered versions of their albums, and the songs are edited on said original albums. I expect most things to be edited on a greatest hits, but that would be unconscionable if the Stones re-released the Its Only Rock And Roll Album and took out a minute and a half of the track.

Some stuff from Wikipedia...

-Wikipedia
Two different versions of "Luxury" exist. A shorter version of 4:30 is included on the early CD version from 1986, while the version of 5:01 was originally released on vinyl in Europe, and on the 1994 and 2009 CD remasters. The difference is the shorter version starts the fadeout 30 seconds earlier, and thereby missing the short guitar solo at the end.

One of the Rolling Stones' largest fan clubs goes by the name "It's Only Rock 'n Roll", though its members typically refer to it as "IORR".

That last line's not very important to the topic, just felt like leaving it there...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-30 23:08 by BeforeTheyMakeMeRun.

Date: January 30, 2015 23:19

Didn't they do an early fade-out on Sad Eyed Lady Of the Lowlands
when it first went ta CD so it'd fit on the disc....... something like 45 seconds

ROCKMAN

Re: OT. Shorter versions of songs on remasters - a new trend?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 31, 2015 03:20

franzk
Well, on the other hand Slave on remastered Tattoo You is longer than on the original one >grinning smiley<

The Virgin remaster...

Date: January 31, 2015 03:24

RollingFreak
Rockman

Just like what the edits were on SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES, the edit versions on FORTY LICKS were what were the "single" edits of said songs to fit a 45 (with exception to Miss You, which was the UK single mix on JUMP BACK and FORTY LICKS; REWIND had the LP/US single version). They also happened to allow more songs to fit on a compact disc version of the album. To their credit I didn't even notice IORR being shortened... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Was FORTY LICKS released on vinyl and if it was did it have the same edited songs?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-31 03:25 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 31, 2015 16:30

GasLightStreet
RollingFreak
Rockman

Just like what the edits were on SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES, the edit versions on FORTY LICKS were what were the "single" edits of said songs to fit a 45 (with exception to Miss You, which was the UK single mix on JUMP BACK and FORTY LICKS; REWIND had the LP/US single version). They also happened to allow more songs to fit on a compact disc version of the album. To their credit I didn't even notice IORR being shortened... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Was FORTY LICKS released on vinyl and if it was did it have the same edited songs?

No official vinyl release for Forty Licks, although it did get a bootleg version and not sure what's on that.

Date: January 31, 2015 16:44

I guess I didn't listen to IORR all the way through because it's on 18 other albums so why bother? It wasn't until years later I saw the time on it and figured out it was shorter.

Posted by: NedKellyBandit ()
Date: January 31, 2015 18:26

Slave on the new remastered Version is longer than on the original LP Version.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: January 31, 2015 18:58

I love the outro for When You Dance...

Date: February 1, 2015 01:11

NedKellyBandit
Slave on the new remastered Version is longer than on the original LP Version.

GasLightStreet
franzk

The Virgin remaster...

VIRGIN REMASTER

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-01 01:15 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: February 1, 2015 01:32

GasLightStreet
I guess I didn't listen to IORR all the way through because it's on 18 other albums so why bother? It wasn't until years later I saw the time on it and figured out it was shorter.

Dido, its listed at 4:10 on licks and 5:07 on IORR

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 1, 2015 02:48

virgil
GasLightStreet

Dido, its listed at 4:10 on licks and 5:07 on IORR

Dido?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1748
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home