Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: How did you find out IORR?
Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: January 30, 2015 12:02

In a paper. In the childhood of internet papers often had a list of links to "the best sites". There, in "music", I fount the link to iorr.
But I remember the webaddress wasn't like today. It containded a lots of numbers and was impossible to remember if you didn't had it as a bookmark.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 30, 2015 12:03

I was a suscriber to the mag first (around 1994) then much later (2000?) I plugged into the site.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: January 30, 2015 12:35

I remember the excitement of the Licks tour in 2003, getting dates confirmed, planning ticket purchases,etc., so a bit before that, I'd imagine. Used to go to an internet cafe during my lunch break!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 30, 2015 12:37

I was looking for set lists from the 2007 shows and chanced upon it.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: January 30, 2015 12:44

Was IORR originally called "Sticky Finger Journal"?

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 30, 2015 12:44

Ladies & Gentlemen the question asks, "How did you find out It's Only R'R"?.

Well when my 3rd fiancée left me because my extremely high sex drive I found out it's only rock n roll. Forget the family dinners, the annoying shopping trips, pointless picknicks, growin old together, seeing grandchildren etc etc. All I ever wanted to do was, as Chuck says, reelin' and rocking and rollin 'til the end of it!!!

Well apart from that, I found it while looking for Reviews of the happiest night of my Life (Stockholm Cirkus show) in late 2003.

smileys with beer

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 30, 2015 13:41

someone told me about it

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 30, 2015 14:45

SDStonesguy told me about it in 1999. I had started seeing a lot of the Stones shows in California that year and met him at one -- he inspired me to travel to the UK and I started traveling more and more each tour.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: January 30, 2015 14:56

MadMax
Ladies & Gentlemen the question asks, "How did you find out It's Only R'R"?.

Well when my 3rd fiancée left me because my extremely high sex drive I found out it's only rock n roll. Forget the family dinners, the annoying shopping trips, pointless picknicks, growin old together, seeing grandchildren etc etc. All I ever wanted to do was, as Chuck says, reelin' and rocking and rollin 'til the end of it!!!

Well apart from that, I found it while looking for Reviews of the happiest night of my Life (Stockholm Cirkus show) in late 2003.

smileys with beer

Yeah, live hard, die young!

PS. Did really Chuck Leavell say that? winking smiley

Posted by: JK62 ()
Date: January 30, 2015 15:11

1983 a friend of mine told me about the IORR magazine

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: January 30, 2015 15:22

Yes back in 1983 I bought a dec 82 copy of Iorr(1st issue printed in english) in a used record store then I subscribed & ordered all (6) of the back issues.As for the online version this was one of the 1st sites I checked out when I got my 1st computer back in late 2000.

to answer the question reguarding Iorr being Sticky Fingers Journal....NO

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 30, 2015 18:11

MisterO
Was IORR originally called "Sticky Finger Journal"?

NO. IORR and SFJ are two different publications. IORR has been IORR since I started it in 1980. No changes except IORR went online mid 90's. SFJ was basically a printed fanzine and an e-journal made by Skippy. This is an old sample page:

[my.ais.net]

Funny thing I have most of the fanzines and fan magazines made since the very start, include the rare great ones:

- The Rolling Stones Book (30 issues early 60's)
- Their Satanic Majesties (French early 70's dedicated fan club)

And many many others of course.

Bjornulf

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 30, 2015 18:34

bv

I have most of the fanzines and fan magazines made since the very start, include the rare great ones:

Bjornulf do you know how many copies of TSM were published?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 30, 2015 18:44

How did I find IORR? - Why, I turned left at the station and there it was.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: January 30, 2015 19:44

A friend of mine told me about it two years ago about the time I attended my first stones concert in Hyde Park and I have the webpage permanently open on my iPad and look on here everyday,it's a great place so thank you very much B.V

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 30, 2015 20:47

Bv
SFJ was basically a printed fanzine and an e-journal made by Skippy

Our Skippy? I remember subscribing to SFJ somewhere in the nineties. My bootleg dealer sent it to me without me asking for it. It was basically a folded leaflet.
In the days before the internet these fanzines were the only source of information about the band outside the regular media.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 30, 2015 20:57

Got a hint from a Stones buddy: "Just go to arena.no/stones - there
you will find reliable info" That was in 1997, I think.

Btw: bv is called "Der Norweger" in our circle ("The Norwegian")

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: January 30, 2015 21:15

It occurred to me one day that the newer Stones releases weren't on their "Rolling Stones Records" label anymore, and I did a web search to see if I could find out when the band shut it down. I was led to an informative thread on this board.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 30, 2015 22:33

Stoneage
Bv

Our Skippy? I remember subscribing to SFJ somewhere in the nineties. My bootleg dealer sent it to me without me asking for it. It was basically a folded leaflet.
In the days before the internet these fanzines were the only source of information about the band outside the regular media.

I thought in most countries there was some kind of a FanClub at least in Holland we had one who released a fan "magazine" in the early 70's a have to dig them up in my basement to see what kind of news it published...........

Date: January 31, 2015 12:16

dcba
bv

I have most of the fanzines and fan magazines made since the very start, include the rare great ones:

Bjornulf do you know how many copies of TSM were published?

I think The Satanic Majesties was a very small circulation among very hard core fans. I still have the red book Jean Michel made in my main RS bookshelf, it is not hidden away with all those hundreds of other Stones books.

The magazines had a list of names of the members, and it was a short list of a third of a page, may be 50-100, my name and address was there. The book has got two final pages of "Stone Maniak' Pages", with Jean Michel Devender, Marco en Baroeul as the first, he was the Satanic Majesties himself, then Bernard Gibert, St Etienne; Jusuane Praz, Geneve, Suisse. I think they were the core. Then 22 more names of French fans from Laon, Chauny, Dijon, Beauvais etc, and four pages of great addresses of suppliers of "disques blanques", those were the days! TMQ, ...

The back page of the book says this:

Concu, Imagine par un dingue - Imprime par une equipe d'amis - pour ceux dela interesse ...

Don't know what means but I felt we were soul mates those days in the 70's.

Bjornulf

Date: January 31, 2015 12:22

NICOS
Stoneage
Bv

I thought in most countries there was some kind of a FanClub at least in Holland we had one who released a fan "magazine" in the early 70's a have to dig them up in my basement to see what kind of news it published...........

Sjaak Jorritsma from Hoorn was running a great fan club in The Netherlands back in the 60's and 70's from my memory. I still meet him on tour, a great guy and a great fan.

Bjornulf

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 31, 2015 18:58

bv
NICOS
Stoneage
Bv

Sjaak Jorritsma from Hoorn was running a great fan club in The Netherlands back in the 60's and 70's from my memory. I still meet him on tour, a great guy and a great fan.

That's the name Sjaak Jorritsma I met him in the early 70's on one of the Stones Day's in Gouda drove him and his wife to The Hague so he could pick up the train to home town and indeed a nice guy always wonder he visit IORR............ as he had a huge bootleg collection from the early days...

Posted by: jhrock83 ()
Date: January 31, 2015 20:50

in Bondy winking smiley

Date: February 1, 2015 08:56

Tht's a good question. It was way back. I remember the very first thing I did when I was on line the first time in a college library was to hit Rolling Stones Bootlegs. There was the Undercover community back then; and I recall Rocks off and Gazza too. IORR just showed up very early on. But I seem to remember IORR even around the VL tour - is that right?? That would have been as far back as '94...We would get the mag in the mail.
The weird thing is - I can not remember the 'Biog Bang' at IORR; when BV had the change. Maybe that is when I changed my name too. I always thoight I just changed it because I got tired of the old one.

I was driving earlier today, and was actually thinking about the whole Stones thing back in 97/98-ish. How exciting it was. Everyone trading boots in the mail. Checking Henrik Mulder's website for new reviews; or the Sticky Fingers Journal. I LOVED getting that in the mail. Then the new artwork on all the BtB and NS tours. The Dirty Work label. Sister Morphinde too. Oh, and the guy who would 'remaster' the albums. And the 'Fingerprint File' site; the one that kept disappearing, LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-01 09:11 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 1, 2015 13:11

Unfortunately I can't recall specifically. I remember starting checking online stuff around the times of BRIDGES TO BABYLON (both album and the tour), and it was around that time I also started writing something by myself, even though it took some years I really get into it. There were different forums, IORR being one of those (ROCKS OFF, GASLAND, LARS, maybe some others too - for some reason I never managed to subscribe to SHIDOOBIE, though. Lucky themgrinning smiley). In the end, IORR just turned out to be the one I most felt like home - probably it was partly due to the the simple and primitive outlook (even thengrinning smiley), but mostly I guess it was the quality of the discussion (at least for my taste), and so many informative constributors, that most impressed me. I liked the fun and crazy atmosphere of ROCKS OFF as well.

Anyway, I made the name "Doxa" specifically for IORR. I had used some other nick names before that in other forums, but since then I have used it all over Stones-related discussion forums in the net.

- Doxa

P.S I see my 'Je suis Charlie' signature - the first ever signature I ever have had here - being gone... grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-01 13:27 by Doxa.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: February 1, 2015 15:04

I have no idea!! I am, though, glad that I did. I don't post much but I read it several times a day.

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: February 1, 2015 15:31

Some guy told me about it, while waiting for the show to start in Vredenburg back in August 2003.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 1, 2015 18:46

Rocksoff.org - Website is outstanding!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 1, 2015 19:57

Googled something to do with the Stones and up it popped. smiling bouncing smiley

Still the best place ever, but there are a lot of interesting Stones groups on Facebook now with tons of great pics and links to old articles.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 31, 2015 14:35

I can't remember, must have been on the "UC List" or from links on the UC Page. I remember that the first time I got access to the internet, in April 1994 I think, I must have typed "Stones" in the "Virtual Tourist" site/portal (the Yahoo/Google of its time) and then landed on UC. Anyway I subscribed to the IORR magazine (need to go digging for them someday) in 1995 I think as well as to "Basement news" and couldn't wait for them to arrive. Little did I know that 17 years later I would bump into bv at the Trabendo ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1809
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home