Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Youngest stones fan !
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 30, 2015 00:58

<<It is even dangerous to walk outside or going down a stairway.>>

But those things are necessary.

Is it really so important that one's children listen to the same music as their parents? Is it because the parents will feel obsolete unless their personal taste in entertainment is passed on? Is that how most Stones fans found the band, through their parents?

If a good many posters on this board followed their parents' entertainment choices, they'd be on a Frank Sinatra forum instead.

Date: January 30, 2015 01:01

I would have remained a Beatles fan if it wasn't for my mum smiling smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 30, 2015 01:05

DandelionPowderman

The English lads starting to have an effect on your grammar now DP? Have you ever called your mom, your mum in her presence? grinning smiley peace

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: January 30, 2015 01:20

DandelionPowderman

You should have remained a Beatles fan Dandy! Them and the lads are my to fave music acts ever and to love both is awesome. I gave up deciding who I loved more when I was about 13.

And keep up the good grammar - decent folk call their mum "mum" grinning smiley

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: January 30, 2015 01:54

Kyle, regarding my well balanced children and my stellar performance as a parent is clearly something that could be open to question, especialy the latter lol.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 30, 2015 04:19

OzHeavyThrobber
Geez some of you people are bloody rude and up yourselves. A simple post about something sweet is pounced on by those that apparently know better and have no issue obviously believing what they think needs telling.

Hello Philippec74 - I took my seven and a half year old daughter to the recent second Perth concert. (For all the parent police out there I got tickets in the non drinking section, made her wear ear plugs and then over that ear muffs but was a very naughty Daddy as she didn't get home to bed until midnite......as a Perth native and knowing the crowds here as well as I do was no chance of a "riot"....hope I passed the audition), back to you Phi, we had an absolute ball. She knew most of the songs and was merrily singing along and clapping and "yaying" having the time of her life. I couldn't help but laugh at myself at thinking I haven't tried to brainwash her and yet there we were smoking smiley

I'm with you Phi - it's a very special experience and if you can share a common bond through the joy of music with your little one - then you are a very fortunate lad - as am I.

ps - and for the record parent police I took my daughter to California Disney after she'd just turned five and she loved that too. As did I because of being there with her. It's surely up to the parent (in this case Phi) to be aware of what their child may or may not like and not for any of you to speculate and then cast an uninformed opinions.

I find it interesting that you find people with a different opinion rude. No one actually was rude in what I'd read...in fact, the first thing rude was perhaps your post.

I think most people agree it's the parents decision ultimately, but if some people are a little surprised at taking a 5 year old to the Stones or AC/DC, I don't think you should get your own knickers in a twist over that.

This entire forum is about people discussing different points of view, most of the time without bitterness. If someone starts a thread boasting about taking their 5 year old to a stones concert, the least we should be is shocked that some people might find this at least odd, and certainly risky behaviour.

To each his own though.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: January 30, 2015 11:02

stonehearted
<<It is even dangerous to walk outside or going down a stairway.>>

But those things are necessary.

Is it really so important that one's children listen to the same music as their parents? Is it because the parents will feel obsolete unless their personal taste in entertainment is passed on? Is that how most Stones fans found the band, through their parents?

If a good many posters on this board followed their parents' entertainment choices, they'd be on a Frank Sinatra forum instead.

For me it was important to go to the concert, not for my parents. Even 7 year old children could have a own taste. I don't get why a concert is so dangerous for children going with their parents. We are talking about the Stones, not Metallica.

Date: January 30, 2015 12:29

OzHeavyThrobber
DandelionPowderman

You should have remained a Beatles fan Dandy! Them and the lads are my to fave music acts ever and to love both is awesome. I gave up deciding who I loved more when I was about 13.

And keep up the good grammar - decent folk call their mum "mum" grinning smiley

I still love them dearly. However, the passion I felt when my mum played Tattoo You for me in 1981 was something else thumbs up

EDIT: LOL! Yep, the grammar is important>grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-30 12:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 30, 2015 12:34

I've taken my then 5 year-old daughter to see Blondie - who she loves! - but it was a relatively small crowd of about 4000 people at Kew Gardens two years ago. There was a lot of space and it wasn't too loud.

Date: January 30, 2015 12:54

<<We are talking about the Stones, not Metallica.>>

We're also talking about a lot of people who are quite drunk at shows, because rock n roll is music of the sensual, especially the music of the Stones, where it speaks to a more sexualized, and therefore mature, and developed element of human nature. It's for when young people have reached adolescence and beyond. This notion of these Dionysian tribal rhythms as pure and wholesome family entertainment just strikes me as absurd.

To put things in their proper perspective, We are talking about the Stones, not the Monkees.

But then again there were probably young hippie parents who took their infants and toddlers to Altamont, so what the hell do I know?

Date: January 31, 2015 01:23

stonehearted

We're also talking about a lot of people who are quite drunk at shows, because rock n roll is music of the sensual, especially the music of the Stones, where it speaks to a more sexualized, and therefore mature, and developed element of human nature. It's for when young people have reached adolescence and beyond. This notion of these Dionysian tribal rhythms as pure and wholesome family entertainment just strikes me as absurd.

To put things in their proper perspective, We are talking about the Stones, not the Monkees.

But then again there were probably young hippie parents who took their infants and toddlers to Altamont, so what the hell do I know?

But maybe they didn't actually plan on taking their infants but they were just born there?

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: January 31, 2015 04:44

Kyle, well said on all fronts mate I agree with your sentiments entirely. I am also from Perth and took my 10 yo son to Stones#2 as well. He wore ear plugs throughout and we had a blast. Both he and his sister can say their first ever rock gig was a Stones concert. She saw them at the Sydney Superdome Licks Tour - she was 7 and likewise had a ball.

Date: January 31, 2015 12:32

treaclefingers
stonehearted

But maybe they didn't actually plan on taking their infants but they were just born there?

Which is why there were those 4 groupies on the B2B tour.

Date: January 31, 2015 13:00

My knickers are in no twist so never fear. And what you refer to as "boasting" I only see as a parent sharing his joy at something that is associated with why this board exists at all.
He didn't need people telling him about riots and this like - his post hardly seemed the ramblings of a madman so I'm sure he could conclude for himself whether or not it was safe for his child to attend. Each to his own indeed.

Dandy you got into the Stones exactly when I did (and Doxa if I remember correctly). What an album to hear and then discover there's almost 20 years worth of gear to go back and discover from this mob! I bought Rolled Gold a week after and never looked back smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Garbie ()
Date: January 31, 2015 13:29

I thought to take one of my daugthers to Hyde Park. She was 5 and asking to go. After reading some opiniones here, I decided not to do it.
What I did, months later, was to take care to see Ronnie at the Albert Hall. First row seated, ears protection and well organised. She really loved it that way. Taking her to Hyde Park would have been a bad idea...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 31, 2015 15:50

Lost sight of one of my girls when she was little at a family friendly festival where there were lots of kids. I think I aged 10 years in those ten minutes, still gives me the shudders when I think back on it. Bad things can happen with kids anywhere. A friend took his kid to a football game and said never again - the crowds were so drunk and obnoxious.
You just have to take good care whenever you are in a crowd with a child. On the flip side, I thought I was gonna have a meltdown when I took three kids to see Raffi, the whole crowd was screaming, crying and peeing in their pants. Talk about scary.
Bottom line, I wouldn't want to take a young child to see The Stones because I wouldn't enjoy it as much, but I'm selfish that way smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-31 16:27 by latebloomer.

Date: January 31, 2015 16:39

OzHeavyThrobber
My knickers are in no twist so never fear. And what you refer to as "boasting" I only see as a parent sharing his joy at something that is associated with why this board exists at all.
He didn't need people telling him about riots and this like - his post hardly seemed the ramblings of a madman so I'm sure he could conclude for himself whether or not it was safe for his child to attend. Each to his own indeed.

Dandy you got into the Stones exactly when I did (and Doxa if I remember correctly). What an album to hear and then discover there's almost 20 years worth of gear to go back and discover from this mob! I bought Rolled Gold a week after and never looked back smiling bouncing smiley

But you are telling people that they shouldn't post a response to what's been posted, because it doesn't agree with the 'sweet intention' of the original post.

He didn't 'need' people telling him about riots and unsafe choices as you say. On the other hand, maybe he did need people telling him about that...not for you to say really is it?

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: February 1, 2015 02:47

For those arguing about the "inappropriate content", I know of many girls my age who went to Britney Spears shows when they were 6 and 7 years old, which involved watching her half-naked and grinding on back-up dancers, as well as lots of drunk teenage audience members... I can't see that being any less "harmful"... and when you're that age you really don't understand what's going on anyways. My mom told me she used to sing along to the tune of "Walk On the Wild Side" when she was young, and she had no idea what the lyrics were until she watched 20 Feet From Stardom last year...

Date: February 1, 2015 05:23

I maybe mistaken but I have no recollection of telling anybody they should or shouldn't post anything. I stated some people here can be "rude and arrogant" or some such thing. It was not directed at you specifically or at all in fact.

And if you honestly believe the notion that "maybe he did need people telling him...." then this would be an example of the hubris that pervades this board regularly.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 1, 2015 05:33

My sister said that her son would kick a lot in her womb when the Stones were playing although she could never work out if he was dancing or kicking off because of all the @#$%& ing noise when he was trying to sleep........cool smiley

Date: February 1, 2015 16:00

OzHeavyThrobber
I maybe mistaken but I have no recollection of telling anybody they should or shouldn't post anything. I stated some people here can be "rude and arrogant" or some such thing. It was not directed at you specifically or at all in fact.

And if you honestly believe the notion that "maybe he did need people telling him...." then this would be an example of the hubris that pervades this board regularly.

It's your opinion that people offering a different opinion is hubris?

OK, that's your opinion but taking umbrage in other people's different opinions is the view that forms your opinion, but it is in fact only your opinion, in my opinion.

Date: February 3, 2015 03:20

I have no interest in fighting with you Treacle and have no sword to cross with you so let's just agree to disagree hey?

I respect your opinion although I don't completely agree with it. I see where you are coming from and of course in principle agree with a parent needing to be sensible in their assessment of whether or not their child should go to whatever concert in question.

I just felt for the original poster as he was trying to share something he thought was wonderful in what I consider the perfect forum to share such a thing and the first response he received was a negative one. That was then followed by more negative posts. Now again there is nothing necessarily right or wrong with that - I just found that it was presumptuous of people to assume this man had no common sense and was assumed by some that he needed posters here posting for his edification. I found that odd and on his behalf a little offensive as his choice was more than likely an informed and well balanced decision to take his child to a Stones concert.

I give people the benefit of the doubt that they can exercise their own common sense and parental instincts to keep their child safe. This of course is not always the case and some parents are poor parents for different reasons - but I don't think coming from the perspective of "maybe he did need telling" (and I'm not meaning to throw your words back at you here) as a default position is fair and yes I believe it's arrogant.

I wouldn't have take my little one to a Pearl Jam concert if mosh pits and yobos were still the case with respect to their general fan base as it seemed to be in the early to mid 90s. I wouldn't take my daughter to see ACDC as the crowds are regularly rough and tumble and from what I have seen at the four concerts of ACDC I've attended, many fans appear to me feel the need live up to the image ACDC has always portrayed even though for they most part these guys are just regular people sipping tea. I'd judge it unsafe.

I just think we should give him and others the benefit of the doubt that they are not incapable of making good choices on behalf of their children. I took my little one and it was one of the highlights of my life and to listen to her still talking about it two months later - I think it currently ranks as the best two hours of her beautiful life.

Peace to you.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1656
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home