Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Heaven:Written for John Lennon?
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: January 29, 2015 22:43

john lennon-cold turkey

thanks for proving my point because that sucked.the guy that looked like jesus on guitar was good for a laugh and yoko just banging on the keyboard playing nothing -good lord.and that moaning at the end was annoying as hell["but lem,you dont get it maaaaan like he was showing the pain of going through cold turkey.."]yeah,far out man.

and you guys really think this crap is some great artistic end-all and be-all statement is what makes it really funny.

i saw mccartney saying he wrote helter skelter because he saw townshend on tv saying he was gonna make the noisiest loudest rock and roll anyone had ever heard.apparently paulie was gonna show him how its done...i'm serious he really said that.
i laugh every time i hear that song"when i get to the slide i go for a ride yeah yeah yeah'they really are trying to rock out.its like nerf hard rock.and you can just picture the wide eye beatleheads-"woooooow man" if you're lucky they'll even explain the charles manson connection...you see what happened was...its funny,sad and amusing all at once.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 29, 2015 22:44

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 29, 2015 22:48

lem motlow
john lennon-cold turkey

thanks for proving my point because that sucked.the guy that looked like jesus on guitar was good for a laugh and yoko just banging on the keyboard playing nothing -good lord.and that moaning at the end was annoying as hell["but lem,you dont get it maaaaan like he was showing the pain of going through cold turkey.."]yeah,far out man.

and you guys really think this crap is some great artistic end-all and be-all statement is what makes it really funny.

i saw mccartney saying he wrote helter skelter because he saw townshend on tv saying he was gonna make the noisiest loudest rock and roll anyone had ever heard.apparently paulie was gonna show him how its done...i'm serious he really said that.
i laugh every time i hear that song"when i get to the slide i go for a ride yeah yeah yeah'they really are trying to rock out.its like nerf hard rock.and you can just picture the wide eye beatleheads-"woooooow man" if you're lucky they'll even explain the charles manson connection...you see what happened was...its funny,sad and amusing all at once.

Get yourself a guitar get in a band and come back in 25 years and see what you got!

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 29, 2015 22:52

Interesting Lennon song, "Cold Turkey". I take it that IORR readers are familiar with the fact that "cold turkey" is a phrase used by drug addicts/junkies to describe their kicking their drug habit straight up, that is, stopping taking drugs and letting their body and mind go through withdrawl. From what I've read, both Lennon and Yoko were into heroin for awhile, so this song apparently comes out of that period of time. The song, IMO, grooves along okay until the last couple of minutes when Lennon does what I can only guess is his simulation of withdrawl screams and moans. It also dawned on me that this part of the song may be Lennon simulating the sounds of "primal therapy", a psych treatment by some guy named Arthur Janov, I believe Yoko exposed him to.

Date: January 29, 2015 23:14

RomanCandle
DandelionPowderman
Nothing, if you consider Kuyss, Siouxsie and the Banshees and the Slits to be rock stars...

They're famous, iconic and influential...
Anyway, Ronno and Macca were "rock stars" (famous rock musicians), right? smiling bouncing smiley

I'm just pulling your leg here smiling smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 30, 2015 00:52

John Lennon was the most interesting pop star, public figure on and off in the 670s and 70s. He was a genius in 1968-1970 (and 1966-1967 on specific songs) and could have done something very interesting in 1973/1974 but he got pulled back in the web. Yoko was fantastic for and with him in 1968-1969. The Primal Scream album is if not the best, one of the greatest albums ever produced by anyone, any genre of music. It's his great American novel. He never came close to topping that.

Date: January 30, 2015 01:13

"It's his great American novel. " WTF? How can an Englishman write a great American novel? Regardless, considering all the sh*t that was going on through the 60s/70s, I doubt Lennon was the most interesting public figure of that time. There was too much other stuff going on and Lennon's was just one of the more prominent names hitting the news. His being a Beatle is what got him notice more than anything else. He and Yoko, at that time, were fun and interesting to look at and read about regarding their political actions and antics, but beyond their generating publicity for what they were doing and it's selling newspapers, not much more else came out of their actions. Tis the way it was for many people and events of that time period.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 30, 2015 01:22

<<How can an Englishman write a great American novel?>>

Which just shows how his talent transcended country and culture.

Imagine there's no countries. Go on, it's easy if you try....

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 30, 2015 01:40

dmay
"It's his great American novel. " WTF? How can an Englishman write a great American novel?

I think the term refers to a novel that captures the spirit of America during a certain time period and therefore could be written by anyone, not just Americans. In fact, I can see how foreigners might have the perspective to do just that since they can more easily distinguish what is unique to America better than Americans who may know no different.

Just like the Stones as Englishmen can write songs which capture the spirit of America, I've no doubt it applies to novels as well. To say nothing of Mick's ability to mimic American singers..

Besides, like Neil Young, Lennon chose America as his residence and speaking for myself, they are/were more than welcome. smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 30, 2015 04:09

How unnecessary to come onto a thread and harass fans of a person. There are many threads talking about bands I don't particularly like and I just don't post. But to come here and spew ignorant hate filled commentary has no purpose other than to expose how narrow minded and ignorant you as a poster are. You know who you are and it is obvious you dislike Lennon with an almost pathological lens of hatred and vitriolic opinions. I suggest confessing to your therapist instead of bogging down the thread with unnecessary posts distracting from interesting conversation by sane posters.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 30, 2015 04:24

stonehearted
<<How can an Englishman write a great American novel?>>

Which just shows how his talent transcended country and culture.

Imagine there's no countries. Go on, it's easy if you try....

nicely done

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 30, 2015 04:44

Cold Turkey brings to mind how Lennon would make "Beatles complaints" that in my mind only proved the Beatles were the best thing for him.

1) Cold Turkey (that I like but don't love).

JOHN (paraphrase) "I played it for Paul, but he wasn't keen. So I decided to bypass the Beatles and do it as a solo release."

John was obviously surprised Cold Turky didn't subsequently do better, because his message with his returned MBE read:

"Your Majesty,

"I am returning my MBE as a protest against Britain's involvement in the Nigeria-Biafra thing, against our support of America in Vietnam
and against 'Cold Turkey' slipping down the charts.

"With love. John Lennon of Bag"

Maybe Paul knew best.

2) Revolution (single) versus Revolution 1 (slow album version).

John in his `Playboy' Interview regarding Revolution 1 versus Revolution: "The first...'Revolution' — well, George and Paul were resentful and said it wasn't fast enough. Now, if you go into details of what a hit record is and isn't maybe..."

Sometimes (depending on my mood) I think Revolution (single) is the greatest rock n roll recording of all time. So praises to Paul and George for their feedback! The fast version never would have been recorded but for them.

John's complaints only proved the Beatles' worth.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: January 30, 2015 07:27

whitem8
How unnecessary to come onto a thread and harass fans of a person. There are many threads talking about bands I don't particularly like and I just don't post. But to come here and spew ignorant hate filled commentary has no purpose other than to expose how narrow minded and ignorant you as a poster are. You know who you are and it is obvious you dislike Lennon with an almost pathological lens of hatred and vitriolic opinions. I suggest confessing to your therapist instead of bogging down the thread with unnecessary posts distracting from interesting conversation by sane posters.

Who needed a therapy? Lennon!

Date: January 30, 2015 12:55

dmay
Regardless, considering all the sh*t that was going on through the 60s/70s, I doubt Lennon was the most interesting public figure of that time.

I agree of course you're right about that but what I meant was hat he was always interesting. I dont think his output after the Primal Scream album is anywhere near anything he did before despite some great tracks.

Date: January 30, 2015 13:00

What is "The Primal Scream Album"?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 30, 2015 13:08

The one with Working Class Hero on it. His first proper post-Beatles album.

Date: January 30, 2015 13:41

stonehearted
The one with Working Class Hero on it. His first proper post-Beatles album.

Isn't that the Plastic Ono Band-album?

If so, I find both Walls And Bridges and Double Fantasy to be superior to that one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-30 13:42 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 30, 2015 15:20

Yes The Plastic ono Band aka the primal scream album. Fantastic. He could have done something spectacular with DF and M&H (from those sessions) but somehow the production isnt up to par. Some really good songs, even great but no. Every man..., Forgive me.. etc. Nice stuff that could have become...naked. But thrown away.

Date: January 30, 2015 16:18

Redhotcarpet
Yes The Plastic ono Band aka the primal scream album. Fantastic. He could have done something spectacular with DF and M&H (from those sessions) but somehow the production isnt up to par. Some really good songs, even great but no. Every man..., Forgive me.. etc. Nice stuff that could have become...naked. But thrown away.

TPOB is an almost scarily honest album - very moving. But as a whole it isn't quite up there, imo.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: January 30, 2015 17:38

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

TPOB is an almost scarily honest album - very moving. But as a whole it isn't quite up there, imo.

Yeah, I think sometimes there's an automatic move to elevate an artist or album just because it happens to be some kind of real personal statement, as opposed to another who just likes to make great music. Some of Lennon's lyrics might be meaningful as hell, but at the same time give me a little music and entertainment.

Date: January 30, 2015 23:37

Used to love the Plastic Ono Band album. Stark sound, revealing songs. My fave cuts were God and Working Class Hero (which still stands up today up as a great commentary on the way of world). The album is a scream from a person's soul as they confront themselves and the world they inhabit/inhabited.

What I find interesting is Lennon's song on this album, Mother. Lennon, if memory serves me right, claimed he never really knew his mother. Yet, if you read Tune In by Mark Lewisohn, Lennon apparently had a closer relationship with his mother than he claimed. Guess his view of his relationship with his mother goes to show how artists will use, color and manipulate the layers of their life to create their art and sense of themselves. I felt this way about Keith after reading Life. He put his perspective of all and himself out there. I am sure there are others who have quite a different take on things Keith riffed on.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 31, 2015 03:01

Lennon never claimed he never really knew his mother. ON the contrary, what he has described in many interviews is a sad story of how he was given to his Aunt Mimi and saw very little of his mother until she resurfaced and he spend loads of time with her only to have her die in a terrible car accident (drunk off duty police officer).

The Plastic Ono Album is brilliant in my opinion. One of the best Beatle solo projects, and was a raw rock n' roll statement that Let it Be wanted to be but Specter ruined with the pompous production. The song writing, lyrics, melodies are Plastic Ono Band are beautiful and hard hitting. Tender, angry, and introspective. An incredible album with Lennon playing some very Keith like crunching guitar throughout.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 31, 2015 03:33

dmay
I know I'm gonna get in trouble here, but IMHO, as a solo performer/artist, John Lennon is a bit over-rated. He was a superb songwriter as part of the Beatles/Lennon McCartney team, but his solo songwriting and solo recording endeavors leave a lot to be desired, for me, though the same can also be said for McCartney, Harrison and Starr as solo artists. Looking back, Lennon's musical collaborations with Yoko are...what? They were much more fun and interesting with their bed-ins for peace.

Smart people DELETE or skip the tracks with Yoko and ONLY listen to the true Lennon tracks.

No one I know of ever talks about his legacy regarding Yoko except for the bullshit with The Beatles. His solo work sans Yoko stands on its own and is, overall, pretty damn good.

It's also anything and all the general music listening public knows. They don't know of this Yoko person, they know Watching The Wheels, (Just Like) Starting Over, Nobody Told Me, Instant Karma, Woman and quite a few others.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1533
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home