Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Heaven:Written for John Lennon?
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: January 28, 2015 12:18

Heaven was written for me, and for you, and for everyone ............ perfect to have sex with it

By the way, John Lennon overrated?? NO, NEVER

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 28, 2015 13:08

Lennon was lazy. He loathed spending a lot of time in the studio and once he had written something he wanted to move on. But with that came strong emotional conviction and a need to share his pathologies with the world. Sometimes this created brilliant material ala John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band. An amazing album. His best and most raw rock n' roll album.
As a big Lennon fan, I like most his solo stuff. But also can see a lot of it was a bit lazy and by numbers. But I still dig it. After Imagine, Mind Games and even Sometime in NYC have some great stuff. You are Hear, Aisumasen (I'm Sorry) (probably the best lead on a Beatle solo song!), Tight A$$ (great rockabilly), Bring on Lucy, I know, Out of the Blue and Mind Games all great songs. But I think Lennon finally found his groove wanting to create a gritty NYC funk record with Walls and Bridges. A fantastic album, full of beautiful lyrics, great horns, and Lennon wailing.
For me Double Fantasy was a catch 22. His fans were so excited to have him back, and I was so excited as well. But it just all felt a bit bland. Some great songs, but really polished and not the gritty Lennon so many were hoping for. I much prefer the outtake versions from The Lennon Anthology, and Milk and Honey.
So yeah all in all, Lennon's solo years were pretty erratic dotted with beauty and brilliance.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 28, 2015 14:25

OK, there is one pure solo-artist besides Dylan that can match Lennon, and that is:

2 1 2 0

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 28, 2015 18:46

dmay
I know I'm gonna get in trouble here, but IMHO, as a solo performer/artist, John Lennon is a bit over-rated. He was a superb songwriter as part of the Beatles/Lennon McCartney team, but his solo songwriting and solo recording endeavors leave a lot to be desired, for me, though the same can also be said for McCartney, Harrison and Starr as solo artists. Looking back, Lennon's musical collaborations with Yoko are...what? They were much more fun and interesting with their bed-ins for peace.

Lennon's being killed by a crazed fan is a given and real tragedy. It was a loss to the music world, his family and fans. I think it can also be seen as a given that after his death, Yoko Ono set about making a saint of the man so that any criticism of him seemed/seems wrong. That she's also made a fortune from his legacy is another thing to be considered in view of how he, akin to Elvis-Jim Morrison and others, became a much more valuable property through death. This isn't a diss of Yoko, but just my view. She did what she thought she needed to do after Lennon's killing.

I know this is a bit off track considering this thread is about whom a song may be about. Just take it again, as one person's thoughts about the alleged subject of a song.

Lennon's solo efforts do leave a lot to be desired. Both songwriting and guitar playing.He wrote some good songs while in the Beatles, and thats what he'll be remembered for. Seen as a solo artist, he doesn't come close to Dylan.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: January 28, 2015 21:28

AlmostHearYouSigh
I remember Elton John singing his tribute to Lennon on SNL:

[www.youtube.com]

Elton John just loved sappy songs about people who died.

Date: January 28, 2015 21:39

dmay
I know I'm gonna get in trouble here, but IMHO, as a solo performer/artist, John Lennon is a bit over-rated. He was a superb songwriter as part of the Beatles/Lennon McCartney team, but his solo songwriting and solo recording endeavors leave a lot to be desired, for me, though the same can also be said for McCartney, Harrison and Starr as solo artists. Looking back, Lennon's musical collaborations with Yoko are...what? They were much more fun and interesting with their bed-ins for peace.

Lennon's being killed by a crazed fan is a given and real tragedy. It was a loss to the music world, his family and fans. I think it can also be seen as a given that after his death, Yoko Ono set about making a saint of the man so that any criticism of him seemed/seems wrong. That she's also made a fortune from his legacy is another thing to be considered in view of how he, akin to Elvis-Jim Morrison and others, became a much more valuable property through death. This isn't a diss of Yoko, but just my view. She did what she thought she needed to do after Lennon's killing.

I know this is a bit off track considering this thread is about whom a song may be about. Just take it again, as one person's thoughts about the alleged subject of a song.

Right on. The fact that you are kind of timed about writing this shows what the Lennon propaganda movement has done.

The same people who get on people for knocking Lennon because he is dead would have no problem knocking Nixon who is dead and many other people. The story the ''The Emperor Wears No Clothes fits Lennon well.

Lennon who happened to be a great song writer in the 60s was a self promoting jerk who had way too much time on his hands. Lying in bed for Peace? LOL...He know this wasn't go to achieve anything accept get his name in the papers and try to get himself known as a peace maker. A joke....Going on talks shows and claiming the gov't had no right to put anyone in prison? LOL...That's juts an idiot who should shut his mouth.

His 70s work was considered nothing until after he was killed and it really wasn't very good. How many really good songs did he write that decade. A couple?

And I really have little respect for a man especially a man of his wealth who doesn't even take care of his kid or give anything to his ex wife who was with him at the start...Not a good man.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 28, 2015 23:27

stanlove
the Lennon propaganda movement

The story the ''The Emperor Wears No Clothes fits Lennon well.

Lennon... was a self promoting jerk who had way too much time on his hands. Lying in bed for Peace? LOL...He know this wasn't go to achieve anything accept get his name in the papers and try to get himself known as a peace maker. A joke....That's juts an idiot who should shut his mouth.

His 70s work....How many really good songs did he write that decade. A couple?

And I really have little respect for a man especially a man of his wealth who doesn't even take care of his kid or give anything to his ex wife who was with him at the start...Not a good man.

Date: January 28, 2015 23:33

stonehearted
stanlove
the Lennon propaganda movement

The story the ''The Emperor Wears No Clothes fits Lennon well.

Lennon... was a self promoting jerk who had way too much time on his hands. Lying in bed for Peace? LOL...He know this wasn't go to achieve anything accept get his name in the papers and try to get himself known as a peace maker. A joke....That's juts an idiot who should shut his mouth.

His 70s work....How many really good songs did he write that decade. A couple?

Yes when something is true its often repeated more then once. Don't ever get your point at all.

If I posted anything untrue please let me know..

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 29, 2015 00:27

I never heard of the term "Deja Poo - the feeling that you've heard this crap before". I like it. It can be applied to so much. I'll be using it in me daily life for now on.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 29, 2015 01:08

stanlove

Where do I start....?

self promoting jerk? I think his fame dictated that he would always be in the spotlight, don't see much self promoting going on with him. He was living in New York to get out from the constant attention. And even if so, self promotion is the name of the game in the music industry.

He was obviously influential to lots of people and promoting peace at a time when we were fighting senseless wars seems a fairly decent thing to do. The fact that he did it the way he did got the attention he was looking for and probably got a few people thinking about it, which was the whole damn point.

His 70's work, yep he wrote a few great songs, that's more than a lot of musicians did in their whole career.

Not that it's any of our business, but as far as taking care of his kids, Julian got a huge settlement from the Lennon estate and Sean is taken care of till his dying days from Lennon's money.

Sure John wasn't perfect but who of us are stanlove. If your, or my, life was under the microscope like John's was I'm sure there would be a few public moments of imperfection. Best not to judge anyone so harshly as a whole.

peace

Date: January 29, 2015 02:17

Naturalust
stanlove

Where do I start....?

self promoting jerk? I think his fame dictated that he would always be in the spotlight, don't see much self promoting going on with him. He was living in New York to get out from the constant attention. And even if so, self promotion is the name of the game in the music industry.

He was obviously influential to lots of people and promoting peace at a time when we were fighting senseless wars seems a fairly decent thing to do. The fact that he did it the way he did got the attention he was looking for and probably got a few people thinking about it, which was the whole damn point.

His 70's work, yep he wrote a few great songs, that's more than a lot of musicians did in their whole career.

Not that it's any of our business, but as far as taking care of his kids, Julian got a huge settlement from the Lennon estate and Sean is taken care of till his dying days from Lennon's money.

Sure John wasn't perfect but who of us are stanlove. If your, or my, life was under the microscope like John's was I'm sure there would be a few public moments of imperfection. Best not to judge anyone so harshly as a whole.

peace

thumbs up

Date: January 29, 2015 02:47

Naturalust
stanlove

Where do I start....?

peace

Mick Jagger never went out of his way to tell everyone what a great father or husband he was like Lennon never shut up about. Probably 99% of people in the world want peace, Lennon never got tired of promoting hijmsself Not his music, himself..

I don't think anyone wanted peace just because Lennon said so, despite what the propaganda machine tries to spin. If anything people like hurt hurt any chance for peace. People like him acting no idiotic and obnoxious that they gave a bad name to serious rational humans who were actully trying for peace and not just making a name for themselves..See 1972 election returns which was fought over it.They turned people against any cause they had.

So he wrote a couple of great songs in the 1970s..Like you say so did plenty of others and many wrote more good songs..Ok so he was an ok artist in the 70, we agree.

A millionaire abandoning his kid and wife is not your ordinary not perfect, its what makes a jerk, a jerk..Anyone who claims to have a lot of respect for the guy is respecting a myth and not the real human.

The spin forced down everyone's throat by the loud minority since the day he died is garbage and always has been.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: January 29, 2015 08:37

Lennon was a great songwriter but HE WAS ALSO A JERK, period.

Date: January 29, 2015 08:45

I thing the jerk part was just a spin forced down everyone's throat by himself during his continuous self-promotion. eye rolling smiley

peace

Date: January 29, 2015 09:10

His 70s work was considered nothing until after he was killed and it really wasn't very good. How many really good songs did he write that decade. A couple?

Some people (those who are intressted in music) seems to remember 'Imagine'...

and then please tell me: Name one rock-artist that's not a jerk!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 29, 2015 09:39

....uuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmm Gutzon & Lincoln Borglum

ROCKMAN

Date: January 29, 2015 14:24

Come On

Bass: Macca
Drums: Budgie
Vocals: John Garcia (Kyuss)
Guitar: Mick Ronson

Date: January 29, 2015 14:29

RomanCandle
Come On

Bass: Macca
Drums: Budgie
Vocals: John Garcia (Kyuss)
Guitar: Mick Ronson

I think he meant rock stars... winking smiley

Date: January 29, 2015 14:35

what does "rock star" mean? A rock musician who is famous?

Date: January 29, 2015 14:36

RomanCandle

That helps, and the jerk-part often comes with the fame.

Date: January 29, 2015 14:40

So what is wrong with my answer?

Date: January 29, 2015 14:44

Nothing, if you consider Kuyss, Siouxsie and the Banshees and the Slits to be rock stars...

Date: January 29, 2015 14:44

DandelionPowderman
RomanCandle

Yeah, it must even be healty being a jerk as a rock-star. The opposite can drive anyone crazy...even the fans...

The only none-jerk rock-star I've heard of is goodhearted Ringo Starr..

Date: January 29, 2015 14:45

Come On
DandelionPowderman
RomanCandle

Yeah, it must even be healty being a jerk as a rock-star. The opposite can drive anyone crazy...even the fans...

The only none-jerk rock-star I've heard of is goodhearted Ringo Starr..

After he quit drinking, I presume? smiling smiley

Date: January 29, 2015 17:27

DandelionPowderman
Nothing, if you consider Kuyss, Siouxsie and the Banshees and the Slits to be rock stars...

They're famous, iconic and influential...
Anyway, Ronno and Macca were "rock stars" (famous rock musicians), right? smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: January 29, 2015 21:48

stanlove
dmay
I know I'm gonna get in trouble here

Right on. The fact that you are kind of timed about writing this shows what the Lennon propaganda movement has done.

The same people who get on people for knocking Lennon because he is dead would have no problem knocking Nixon who is dead and many other people. The story the ''The Emperor Wears No Clothes fits Lennon well.

the beatleheads foam at the mouth to the point that people are actually afraid to say anything about this halfwit.lennon was a perfect example of the old adage "death is a great career move"-

nobody in rock and roll gave a shit about john lennon or the beatles in the 1970's.they had a bunch of hit pop records, but then so did the bee gees.

led zeppelin,pink floyd,the who and the rolling stones owned the 1970's. these bands were putting out the records everyone listened to and headlining football stadiums with state of the art sound systems and stage shows beyond anything the world had ever seen.

even sgt pepper was made to sound old and outdated by dark side of the moon-time had simply moved on.

lennon was a laughingstock with that crazy wife making him look silly with the bed-in and screaming crap on tv. that may have gotten a pass before but the 1970's were a very cynical decade.

as soon as he bit the dust though,the candlelight vigil beatle zombies started rewriting history.its amazing the contortions they'll go through to justify his every utterance.

every rockstar is a jerk now because that makes lennon look better?? roger daltrey,ron wood,mick taylor and a few others i've talked to were some of the the nicest people i've ever met- but hey.we've gotta just say anything to make ol johnny boy look good right?it just gets pathetic after awhile.
and no, heaven wasnt written about him either.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 29, 2015 22:08

lets not forget Grand Funk Railroad, in the 70's..

on the other hand, let's do forget them..

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 29, 2015 22:11

John Lennon-Cold Turkey

Date: January 29, 2015 22:38

lem motlow

nobody in rock and roll gave a shit about john lennon or the beatles in the 1970's.they had a bunch of hit pop records, but then so did the bee gees.

led zeppelin,pink floyd,the who and the rolling stones owned the 1970's.

What? I discovered The Beatles in the 70's and they sure made a big impression on me.. Based on their 1970's record sales I'd say more than a few folks cared about them and their music. As songwriters they continue to influence people in the present day. Hard to find a 1970's rock act that wasn't influenced by them.

Yeah sure I loved Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin but on Sunday mornings you'd more likely find me listening to the Beatles. What they did for Rock and Roll with all those great songs shouldn't be so casually dismissed. They were HUGE, are still HUGE and considering they haven't played a live show since the rooftop concert, I'd say people definitely give a shit.

Love him or despise him, Lennon influenced almost ALL the rock acts that came during and after his tenure, and for that alone he deserves a bit more respect and praise. One could easily argue that without John Lennon (and Paul), the Stones would have continued playing R & B and blues covers and might have even ceased to exist as a band. peace

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 29, 2015 22:43

Don't worry, NL, no need to feed the trolls.

Typical how the usual suspects always bust in on a Beatles/Lennon-related thread with their snark and drivel, always preaching the same heavy-handed agenda.

Proof that you need not be a rock star to be a jerk.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home