Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Stones Instrument Malfunctions on Stage
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 7, 2015 01:40

Bill Wyman knocked unconscious by an electrical shock from a microphone stand 1965. I guess you can say the microphone was malfunction.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 7, 2015 01:41

JFK Stadium 1978: I'm not sure the background vocal mike (Keith & Ron) was on for the whole show. Plus, Keith's MXR Phase Shifter is not working.

July 23, 1978, Anaheim: There's some sort of malfunction before Sweet Little 16.
I was there for that one.

October 9, 1981, LA: Bill bass amp blew on Brown Sugar. I was there for that one, too.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: January 7, 2015 01:55

mtaylor
Bill Wyman knocked unconscious by an electrical shock from a microphone stand 1965. I guess you can say the microphone was malfunction.
Never heard about this. Do you know where and when it happened?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 7, 2015 02:26

shawnriffhard1
mtaylor
Odense March 26. Keith as well later that year in Sacramento, somehow an electroscock as well. If I remember correct, I have seen pictures of them being on floor.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 7, 2015 02:28

shawnriffhard1
mtaylor

I think the obvious point, reading between the lines here, is that they didn't want Bill behind the microphone.

Date: January 7, 2015 02:37

I think we should start a Stones 'Wardrobe Malfunction' thread...the only one I can think of though is Mick busting a button on his trousers.

Hope they don't fall down BTW.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: January 7, 2015 02:40

treaclefingers
I think we should start a Stones 'Wardrobe Malfunction' thread...the only one I can think of though is Mick busting a button on his trousers.

still have side boob on your mind, dontcha? winking smiley

Posted by: vibrolux ()
Date: January 7, 2015 02:44

Vienna June '14. Sympathy. Backing track goes out and Charlie kind of gives up on the song. Mick, Keith and Woody try to keep it going. One by one they surrender and laugh it off. Never saw anything like it before, never will again.

[www.youtube.com]

It comes apart at 6:45.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 7, 2015 03:14

<<Keith getting electrocuted at Sacramento on December 3rd 1965 was a pretty spectacular malfunction>>

The guitar and the microphone were in perfect working order both before and after the incident--it's just that the guitarist stopped working the moment the guitar and microphone started working together.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: January 7, 2015 03:26

treaclefingers

Keith's fly was welded together when he was electrocuted so he qualifies.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 7, 2015 03:26

amazing, i would never have thought there were pictures of that!

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: January 7, 2015 03:30

And thus, due to a freak electrical accident, was Keith Richards infused with super powers.

Date: January 7, 2015 03:49

bleedingman
And thus, due to a freak electrical accident, was Keith Richards infused with super powers.

Oooh! you have uncovered the Keith Richards superhero creation myth -- what are his super powers?! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 7, 2015 04:40

swiss
bleedingman

Oooh! you have uncovered the Keith Richards superhero creation myth -- what are his super powers?! smiling bouncing smiley

Waking up breathing, heart beating every day.

peace

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 7, 2015 05:31

vibrolux
Vienna June '14. Sympathy. Backing track goes out and Charlie kind of gives up on the song. Mick, Keith and Woody try to keep it going. One by one they surrender and laugh it off. Never saw anything like it before, never will again.

[www.youtube.com]

Wow. That's quite a moment. I have never seen Charlie throw in the towel!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: January 7, 2015 06:41

LA Forum, November 8, 1969, first show. Mick's harmonica microphone is malfunctioning during Midnight Rambler, creating lots of feedback. He finally ditches it and plays into his vocal mic.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 7, 2015 06:55

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
"A few hearts broken, a few strings busted. That's not a lot - between friends..."

grinning smiley

I'd say on the Bring It Back Aliver-show (Early show, November 9, 1969 in Oakland), where Keith and Taylor had to share amp for a while. I think it was Keith's amp that broke down during JJF.

While fixing the problem, they pushed You Gotta Move and Prodigal Son as the second and third song in the setlist smiling smiley

I don't think they shared amps, but Richards had to switch from the Ampeg to the Fender head while they replaced the Ampeg heads.

Mathijs

Didn't the Grateful Dead lend one of their amps to Keith ??

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 7, 2015 07:16

Nikkei
amazing, i would never have thought there were pictures of that!

Even better, it was filmed (even in color)... The film was auctioned back in 2005, if memory serves, and I do recall seeing it sometime, somewhere, somehow...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-07 07:25 by Doxa.

Date: January 7, 2015 07:24

And those interested seeing Wyman unconscious during the soundcheck in Odense, Denmark 1965, there is a pic of that (and one of worried Jagger&Watts watching him) at StonesVikings site:[www.stonesvikings.com]

- Doxa

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: January 7, 2015 07:31

At the beginning of MissYou, Mick had a problem with his guitar 2 times in a row in 2013 : at the Mogador show and at the O2 premiere

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: January 7, 2015 07:59

Eleanor Rigby
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
"A few hearts broken, a few strings busted. That's not a lot - between friends..."

grinning smiley

I'd say on the Bring It Back Aliver-show (Early show, November 9, 1969 in Oakland), where Keith and Taylor had to share amp for a while. I think it was Keith's amp that broke down during JJF.

While fixing the problem, they pushed You Gotta Move and Prodigal Son as the second and third song in the setlist smiling smiley

I don't think they shared amps, but Richards had to switch from the Ampeg to the Fender head while they replaced the Ampeg heads.

Mathijs

Didn't the Grateful Dead lend one of their amps to Keith ??

Yes. They had to zoom back to Marin County to grab the stuff. There's one account of this tale:

'The part of the story that interest me comes from the early show at the Coliseum. The Oakland show was only the third night of the Stones tour. The first show had been Friday, November 7 in Fort Collins, CO. Clearly, that show was intended as a safe "out of town" opener before the big debut at the Forum in Los Angeles on Saturday, November 8, where the Stones would play both an early and late show. A lot had changed in the rock and roll concert world since the Stones had last toured. According to Dennis McNally, on the plane to Colorado, Belmont had to explain to Mick Jagger and Keith Richards that their plan to play half an hour was no longer acceptable, as an hour was the minimum that crowds expected, and Jagger and Richards improvised a few acoustic numbers to fill out the set (p. 340).

"The first show in Oakland was only the Stones' third night and fourth show on the tour. During the early show, the sound reinforcement system blew out, and Keith in particular was very unhappy with the poor live sound. According to Joel Selvin, in between shows Ramrod and Rex Jackson suggested that they go back to the Dead's headquarters in Novato and get their equipment, battle tested and Owsley-tuned to perform exceptionally under adverse conditions. They raced across two bridges to get the equipment, returning in time for the Stones set on the late show. While the expert taping of the show made the recording great, there's a reason that the live sound for the late show was so good, and that was that the Dead's sound equipment plugged holes in the Stones rig.

"I am confident that Jerry Garcia and the rest of the Dead were at the Coliseum show, and they would have all enthusiastically assented to loaning out their equipment. To some extent, Garcia and Weir had formed the Warlocks in an effort to emulate The Rolling Stones. When the Stones had played San Francisco on their 1966 tour, the Jefferson Airplane had opened the show, and the Airplane had snuck Garcia backstage as a member of their crew so that he could attend the show. The Dead had played the New Old Fillmore on November 7 and 8, but they had November 9 off, and I don't doubt that they were all backstage.

"It's a nice vignette: Garcia and the band backstage, more like fans than musicians, no doubt flattered and pleased that their own equipment was better than that of the mighty Stones. Since the Stones had a show the next night (in San Diego) and the Dead did not have a show until the next Saturday night (November 15 at the Lanai Theater in Crockett), I don't doubt that the Stones bought some of the Dead's equipment on the spot. The perpetually broke Dead were probably happy to make the transaction, as Owsley and the crew would have had a whole week to obtain and modify replacements.

"Liver Than You'll Ever Be
The Liver Than You'll Ever Be album was released just a month later, prior to Christmas 1969. The tour had finished on November 30 in West Palm Beach, FL, and then the mess of Altamont on December 6 had blasted the tour into a stratospheric event that stood in contrast to that Summer's idyllic Woodstock. As most record stores were somewhat independent in those days, the album apparently wasn't too hard to get in major cities. The album received a glowing review from Greil Marcus in the January 1970 Rolling Stone, and the clamor for the record caused it to be redistributed and to some extent re-bootlegged (Heylin has all the details)." post by Corry342 on Lost Live Dead

Date: January 7, 2015 08:12

Of that Odense 1965/Wyman knocked out accident... a quick google research showed that it was quite a mess.

satisfaction.dk tells that [www.satisfaction.dk]

26th: In Odense, Denmark, at the Fyens Forum Mick becomes more electric than he'd ever hope to be. At sound check, he touches two live microphones at once. The electrical shock jolts Mick around the stage, knocking into Brian and eventually knocking out poor Bill Wyman in a 220-Volt surge. The promoter told the press afterwards that what saved Bill was Mick accidentally pulling out the main plug as he fell.

Even wilder picture is given by SATURDAY NATION from East Africa (???), which claims it all started from drummer "Keith Richards" - this is shared by great Jaxx from ROCKS OFF [www.rocksoff.org]

Mick Jagger: Talking of the lead singer of Rolling Stones, his drummer Keith Richards (that semi-conscious-at-the-best-of-times artiste) once touched an unearthed mike with a metal drum stick during an Odense concert in October 1965. The shock knocked him into Jagger, who then touched two live mikes that sent Brain Jones hurtling into Bill Wyman. For a few minutes, all the Rolling Stones were knocked out by electricity. Then Jagger came to and revived them by slapping them on the face (not pouring cold water on them). The show rolled on – like a stone.

Huh...eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-07 08:13 by Doxa.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: January 7, 2015 09:43

A few things come to mind;

The show in Paris at the Olympia Theater April 11th 1967, during the show while playing "She Smiled Sweetly" Brian Jones was having problems with the organ. The band had stopped and started the song three times before finally resoolving the problem

Then at Veterans Stadium Aug. 31, 1989. The amps power blew out during Shattered, the whole band just walked off stage with no explanation for a like five minutes. Nobody (audience) knew what happened? The band just came back on stage and conintued like nothing happened.

Another one that comes to mind, although it didn't happen on stage was July 17 1972 show in Montreal, Canada. The Rolling Stones equipment truck carrying their amps was blown up allegedly by Quebecois separatist. With no equipment for the show that night a local band's manager knew a guy (Skippy Naire) who could get the equipment the Stones needed in that short of time. Everything worked out and the show went on. That local band just happened to be the group "April Wine". 5 Years later the Stones who had not forgotten the favor this local band's manager did ask him if his band "April Wine" if they would open for them at the El Mocambo shows that they were going to do. BTW..The El Mocambo Shows those nights were advertised as playng tonight "April Wine". I'm not 100% sure but years later I believe Peter Rudge took over handling April Wine's touring/booking?????

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: January 7, 2015 10:02

Kiel, Germany, 1976 must have been a catastrophy because Bill's bass amp did not work, the concert obviously waas disappointing and during the show half of the audience left the hall. I only read it in some newspaper.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 7, 2015 10:21

stonehearted
<<Keith getting electrocuted at Sacramento on December 3rd 1965 was a pretty spectacular malfunction>>

The guitar and the microphone were in perfect working order both before and after the incident

Hm well if the mic not being grounded and the incident blowing out all the electricity in the place
count as "in perfect working order" in your book, I think you need a new book.

Besides those screen captures from the audience film of the incident, there's a series of Gered Mankowitz photos.
Gered says he was asked to keep taking photos to provide illumination - there was no other light in the place.

Date: January 7, 2015 11:39

Doxa
Of that Odense 1965/Wyman knocked out accident... a quick google research showed that it was quite a mess.

26th: In Odense, Denmark, at the Fyens Forum Mick becomes more electric than he'd ever hope to be. At sound check, he touches two live microphones at once. The electrical shock jolts Mick around the stage, knocking into Brian and eventually knocking out poor Bill Wyman in a 220-Volt surge. The promoter told the press afterwards that what saved Bill was Mick accidentally pulling out the main plug as he fell.

Even wilder picture is given by SATURDAY NATION from East Africa (???), which claims it all started from drummer "Keith Richards" - this is shared by great Jaxx from ROCKS OFF [www.rocksoff.org]

Mick Jagger: Talking of the lead singer of Rolling Stones, his drummer Keith Richards (that semi-conscious-at-the-best-of-times artiste) once touched an unearthed mike with a metal drum stick during an Odense concert in October 1965. The shock knocked him into Jagger, who then touched two live mikes that sent Brain Jones hurtling into Bill Wyman. For a few minutes, all the Rolling Stones were knocked out by electricity. Then Jagger came to and revived them by slapping them on the face (not pouring cold water on them). The show rolled on – like a stone.

Huh...eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

LOL! grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley >grinning smiley<

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 7, 2015 13:31

vibrolux

[www.youtube.com]

That was a fun performance to watch. Moves away a bit from the predictable.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 7, 2015 14:08

LieB
vibrolux
Vienna June '14. Sympathy. Backing track goes out and Charlie kind of gives up on the song.
Mick, Keith and Woody - and Darryl and the intrepid Lisa and Bernard - try to keep it going.

That was a fun performance to watch. Moves away a bit from the predictable.

LoFL: they found an almost reasonable way out of that, didn't they
I love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: January 7, 2015 22:04

london sheparts bush 1999, the great club gig with "the unknown further and further":
charlie smashed his snare, which mick announced after the song. It took a amazing short while to repair...

Date: January 7, 2015 22:17

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

Huh...eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

LOL! grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley >grinning smiley<

I think Brain Jones is generally regarded as the smartest of the group.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1731
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home