Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Angee's Book ...and... Stones, Sexuality, Feminism etc...
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 6, 2015 02:14

Following the thread about You Get What You Need, Angee's delightful book of stories of Stones fans and the sociology behind it... [www.iorr.org]

I've been pondering some of the content and contemplating a thread that wouldn't offend the sensibilities of the board, and would like to hear any input from those who have read the book, or those who haven't yet.

Angee talks about (or I extrapolate / infer) the reaction of parents and teen girls to seeing the Stones on Ed Sullivan (seductive Mick, screaming girls); overtly sexual lyrics and driving rhythms; the Sticky Fingers cover with the working zipper... The songs, starting with Little Red Rooster and moving on through Satisfaction and Let's Spend the Night Together, followed by more overtly sexual songs and, as Angee writes "a theme especially enunciated by women is the sexual thrill they get from the band...."

To what extent did the Stones contribute to the phenomenon of "sex and drugs and rock and roll"? How much did the availability of the Pill together with these boundary-pushing lyrics and music change standards of female sexuality? And (although I don't think Angee touched on this) can a band many think leans toward the mysogynistic be credited for advancements in female sexuality and/or feminism?

And finally, can we even discuss this without getting all slutty? grinning smiley

Talk amongst yourselves...

Re: Angee's Book ...and... Stones, Sexuality, Feminism etc...
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 6, 2015 02:23

...if mum was around I never played Starfooker before 9am

ROCKMAN

Date: January 6, 2015 02:25

...or Andrew's Blues? You're a true Gent, Rockeeeeeee!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 6, 2015 02:30

I'm a decent man so I don't know anything about misogynistic..........as for the Stones it's just R&R nothing more

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 6, 2015 02:38

The Stones are the embodiment of sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Although I believe the sexual freedoms and free love which liberated most women were more based on the late 60's movements in the San Francisco bay area, which quickly spread elsewhere.

But the drugs and rock and roll lifestyle of the Stones influenced many young people and musicians in the 70's. I can't tell you how many people I've heard of that quote Keith as an influence for taking drugs and trying to make music.

It was all before my time, but I was certainly glad the freedoms were firmly entrenched by the time I came of age.

I've talked to a lot of women who were turned off by the direction rock and roll took in the 70's, mainly because it seemed to degrade women at some level. Of course most these ladies are huge Sting fans now....

peace

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 6, 2015 02:48

If you're asking us not to get 'slutty', this may be a rather short thread.

Date: January 6, 2015 02:50

treaclefingers
If you're asking us not to get 'slutty', this may be a rather short thread.

Well... Maybe a little...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 6, 2015 02:54

I'm waiting treaclefingers...............

Date: January 6, 2015 03:25

We're ALL waiting. No pressure!

Date: January 6, 2015 05:35

SomeTorontoGirl
We're ALL waiting. No pressure!

ah...er...my nipples are getting hard?

Date: January 6, 2015 05:36

Cold where you are, eh?

Date: January 6, 2015 05:53

SomeTorontoGirl
Cold where you are, eh?

it's called 'shrinkage'...I'm surprised you've never heard of it.

Date: January 6, 2015 05:54

Clearly this is something else that is different for girls.

Date: January 6, 2015 05:56

SomeTorontoGirl
Clearly this is something else that is different for girls.

when there's shrinkage, we're all affected to one degree or another.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 6, 2015 06:57

I knew this wouldn't get far before the locker room humor started. Any women comment yet? I for one find this subject very interesting and something that could and maybe should be explored more deeply. To get women together to discuss how and why Stones music may have made them more "active" might benefit us all and if you can get them all in one room I'd like to be a part of that. Dang you guys dragged me in too!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: January 6, 2015 13:30

SomeTorontoGirl
as Angee writes "a theme especially enunciated by women is the sexual thrill they get from the band...."

Maybe that's why none of my interview was excerpted in her book - lol. I never got a sexual thrill from the band. I may have a chip missing--it's possible--but I've also never had a crush on anyone--neither in real life or on a celebrity or rockstar or actor, or anyone. I'm passionate but not in the abstract--only with people I actually know, and know pretty well, and they have to be smart and I really like them. Otherwise I guess I'm the prototypical laced-up librarian with the bun in her hair.

Stones music made me feel intensely alive, starting at age 3 or 4, but not sexual or sensual. Black music, particularly '70s soul music, is another story. Stones music made me (and makes me) feel autonomous, powerful, and free. Sometimes belligerent. Often joyful. Occasionally sad. But not "sexually thrilled."

It's not that I'm that young, but maybe I'm young enough that by the time I was coming of age the barriers were already down and that deep American repression (that led to pe-teens wetting their bloomers for some god-unknown reason upon seeing the Rolling Stones/Beatles) had dissipated.

I never found Mick sexy. He is too soft (and ironic) for me. Keith's got an insanely sexy persona and I love the way he moves, but...maybe I'm just too literal and need the real thing in front of me, otherwise...there's no energy there. I also don't really like "live" recordings--unless I was there--and at shows I have to actually be IN the first rows, within the physical energy itself, as it's being generated. I don't mean anything "sexually thrilling"---more simply feeling intense lifeforce and "chi."

Sorry not to be useful to the discussion. As I've said before, I didn't find the Stones misogynistic until their later work in which Mick seems fairly bitter -- and especially with Keith songs (because he's one of those men who clearly adores women) I felt valued by them. And so my relationship to the Stones was something between (a) the sense you get with a really cool badass boyfriend who'll keep you safe and (b) some very cool uncles.

- swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-06 13:35 by swiss.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: January 6, 2015 14:41

A very important point.
While we are discussing setlists, MT´s time on stage, Keith performance at 2:32min
into Midnight Rambler etc.I may be sometimes forget my roots to the stones.
And that was pure sex.
Back in my early teenie-years The Rolling Stones were my road to LUST.
The highway to the existence of sexuality in my system.
What was in me - the brought it out.
Song by Song.
Record by Record.
I listened to GYYO with 9. And didn´t even realize what was going on with me.
And when I started to realize 3-4 later - I was already prepared by their music for what should come.
The Stones brings out the lust in you.
As a female.
And as a man.
That females back in the sixties found with the Stones and their music an important companion in the understanding, awareness, emancipation and expression of their sexuaity is an extremely important point.
But we have to keep in mind:
For a big group of females the Stones were a lust-companion.
For others it were other bands.
I always was in love with the Stones-Girls.
Their heart and soul and attitude.

A band as a companion in your sexual development, your awareness and mind for your

If you have a sense for the Stones you will be touched by them in your own individual way.
Wether you are a female or man, you will have your own affair with their music,
their lyrics, their performances.

Date: January 6, 2015 14:49

If you have a sense for the Stones you will be touched by them in your own individual way. Wether you are a female or man, you will have your own affair with their music, their lyrics, their performances.

Maybe that's it. I like your comments - thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-06 14:51 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 6, 2015 15:18

I can make a connection to sexuality but not on a big level. Anyhow I think Rock and Roll in general is somewhat sexy as it provokes you mentally and physically. Personally I feel this is a good thing. By the way this is a great thread and subject, different but very relevant. Also I enjoyed the volley between Treaclefingers and SomeTorontoGirl, very funny. Cheers.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 6, 2015 15:19

Reminds me of this Patti Smith article:

[www.oceanstar.com]

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 6, 2015 15:39

I can not answer all of the questions asked. There is one thing that I would like to bring
into this interesting discussion about the influence they had on feminism:

Look at all the most important women in their lifes: they are all strong women, looking good
(yeah, definitely), but most of all, having made their own choices, carreers and gained
a place in society to be proud of.

Maybe they sang of stupid girls having nervous breakdowns, being darlings of discotheque
crowds, and having parties with stars, but in real life they preferred women who could
be regarded as blueprint for miss Ciconnes role in female empowerment during the 80s.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 6, 2015 15:48

There was a point in the late 60s to the late 80s that if someone liked the Stones it was a sure sign that they also loved to party...with all that entails. In London, where I grew up, anyway.

And if you knew a girl that dug the Stones there was a fair chance you'd both end up having a lot of fun. winking smileygrinning smiley>grinning smiley<

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 6, 2015 15:59

Rockman
...if mum was around I never played Starfooker before 9am

Well, that was one of few benefits having been a young Stones fan from not english speaking abroad . .

Date: January 6, 2015 16:10

Ok - I started this, so it's only right that I throw my hat in here...

Swiss - I was never attracted physically to any of the Stones either. Mick was too ... I don't even know too WHAT - but I was never attracted. Charlie is a dear, but no. Brian - no, plus I was way too young. Bill - hell no! And Keith? Love him to the moon and back, but would never drag him home by his hair. It was always the sounds... And they were dynamite and kryptonite and catnip. Still are.

Koen - thanks so much for that article. It kinda nailed a lot of it. But yikes! Not for reading at the office first thing in the morning unless you can turn right around and go home... And I can't.

Marcovandereijk - good pointabout the Stones women. Many are pretty strong and independent.

Silver Dagger - you are just bad. grinning smiley

And Treaclefingers ... Still waiting!

Carry on...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-06 16:18 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 6, 2015 16:20

Koen
Reminds me of this Patti Smith article:

[www.oceanstar.com]

Which reminded me of Gilda Radner aka Candy Slice, inspired by Patti Smith:

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: January 6, 2015 16:26

ok ok...you want slutty eh?

Um...

ok, side boob.

that's all I got.

Date: January 6, 2015 16:57

treaclefingers

Um...

ok, side boob.

that's all I got.

Date: January 6, 2015 17:00

SomeTorontoGirl
treaclefingers

Um...

ok, side boob.

that's all I got.

you're baiting me. you seem to be a master at that!

Date: January 6, 2015 17:13

treaclefingers

If I was a master, I'd have slightly more than "side boob."

Date: January 6, 2015 17:17

SomeTorontoGirl
treaclefingers

If I was a master, I'd have slightly more than "side boob."

the pressure here is unbelievable...ok, how about areola?

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1822
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home