Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Kennedy Center Tributes- Stones next?
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 29, 2014 12:38

Just watched the Zeppelin and Paul McCartney Kennedy Center Tributes and they were pretty damn cool. Watching the honorees faces as they watch others interpret their songs is pretty damn touching.

About time they did one for The Rolling Stones !

peace

Re: Kennedy Center Tributes- Stones next?
Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: December 29, 2014 14:23

If they do I bet Keith doesn't go.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: December 29, 2014 16:37

I hope not.

I prefer the irreverent Stones and the memory of them being a bit dangerous.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 29, 2014 19:31

I don't know why, I just feel like they won't. Admittedly, I never thought they'd do one for Zeppelin, but it just seems like the Stones are too far removed from that honor. They are certainly deserving, but its mostly for people that are the "good boys" and people that are fit for awards. I guess I'm thinking specifically of McCartney in that respect, but I just can't picture the Stones getting it for some reason. Maybe its cause too many of them are still alive? McCartney, Daltrey and Townshend, Plant and Page and Jones.

I don't know. I guess thinking about it now, there's no reason they shouldn't. If the Who can then the Stones certainly can. Now I'm more surprised it hasn't happened yet since I've listed those people, but again it just seems so out of character for them to be honored by that place and to see them actually getting it.

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: December 29, 2014 21:51

Imagine ...

which songs and performed by whom ...

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 29, 2014 22:01

Gary Clark Jnr doing I'm A King Bee.
Bruce Springsteen on Tumbling Dice, with the E Street Band.
John Prine doing No Expectations.
Elvis Costello doing Stupid Girl.
Jerry Lee Lewis on Dead Flowers.

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: December 29, 2014 22:28

Booorrriiinnnggggg

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 29, 2014 23:06

RollingFreak
I don't know why, I just feel like they won't. Admittedly, I never thought they'd do one for Zeppelin, but it just seems like the Stones are too far removed from that honor. They are certainly deserving, but its mostly for people that are the "good boys" and people that are fit for awards. I guess I'm thinking specifically of McCartney in that respect, but I just can't picture the Stones getting it for some reason. Maybe its cause too many of them are still alive? McCartney, Daltrey and Townshend, Plant and Page and Jones.

I don't know. I guess thinking about it now, there's no reason they shouldn't. If the Who can then the Stones certainly can. Now I'm more surprised it hasn't happened yet since I've listed those people, but again it just seems so out of character for them to be honored by that place and to see them actually getting it.

Well... LZ has had one member die. The Stones have had 2 die... Brian and Stu. Bobby is possibly more known as a Rolling Stone than anything else so... with a swig of booze, 3.

I don't think that's the case though, who's alive or dead. Perhaps the point that's being missed is the honor it is bestowed upon the act for what it did for music be retired. Certainly the Stones deserve to be included. Is it required that they be retired? LZ is retired. So... I dunno.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 30, 2014 00:36

What is the Kennedy Center and why should it matter? Do they really need institutional approval and acceptance? Doesn't this go against the grain of everything it has meant to be a Stones fan all this time? The Stones are an institution unto themselves, and it doesn't make sense to generate a big fuss just to see a bunch of other artists doing watered-down covers of songs that are best left to the Stones themselves.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: December 30, 2014 00:44

Who would head up the band?

Don Was?
Paul Shaffer?
Chuck Leavell?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 30, 2014 00:56

LOVED watching Mick perform in The White House when they honored the Blues...
Buddy Guy, Tedeschi Trucks, BB KIng etc in attendance and in performance.

The take away for me after watching Mick perform in the East Room, was it doesn't matter what the room is, or who else is performing in it..
Mick Jagger will OWN it.

Would love to see them honored by the Kennedy Center, but gotta admit, like it better when they are doing the honoring...

[www.washingtonpost.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-30 01:05 by MisterDDDD.

Date: December 30, 2014 04:43

stonehearted, I thought your post deserved a reply......

What is the Kennedy Center and why should it matter?

Kennedy Center is a venue for Performing Arts and Cultural improvement and education. In these days of less support for such things as school music programs and reduced value in arts and culture, I'd say it's pretty good thing. I value it more than the Rock and Roll hall of Fame which has become a joke.

Do they really need institutional approval and acceptance?

They probably don't need much these days but I'd bet Mick, Charlie and Ronnie would all value the experience, especially Mick. Keith would probably have a few choice jabs at the idea but end up loving the experience of (almost) peer musical groups taking a try at their tunes.

Doesn't this go against the grain of everything it has meant to be a Stones fan all this time?

No. The Stones are mainstream these days and most of the fans are far beyond rebellion against the man which drew them in the first place. I think it kind of represents the changing of the guard that we have all been waiting for when this level of acceptance is draped on the Stones. If you saw the Obama's and others like them rocking out to Led Zeppelin, it hits you...this is OUR generation.

The Stones are an institution unto themselves, and it doesn't make sense to generate a big fuss just to see a bunch of other artists doing watered-down covers of songs that are best left to the Stones themselves.

Stones music will go on without the Stones...do you expect no one will be playing their tunes after they are gone? Every musician I know plays a few Stones songs and seeing how different artists interpret them is usually a treat. At the level of performance the Kennedy Center offers, a Stones tribute should be considerably more than watered down covers. Not to mention the Stones liberal use of covers in the early days.....

I mean can you imagine the look on Keith's face when someone he respects pulls out a ripping but totally different version of JJF.

peace

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 30, 2014 04:49

<<can you imagine the look on Keith's face when someone he respects pulls out a ripping but totally different version of JJF>>

No, but I can imagine the look on his face when someone from security there tells him to put out his cigarette. smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-30 04:51 by stonehearted.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 30, 2014 04:59

Congratulations to Sting. Wish Andy and Stewart were invited...that would be a whole lot more meaningful

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-30 05:31 by Munichhilton.

Date: December 30, 2014 05:25

stonehearted
<<can you imagine the look on Keith's face when someone he respects pulls out a ripping but totally different version of JJF>>

No, but I can imagine the look on his face when someone from security there tells him to put out his cigarette. smoking smiley

lmfao. Naw, they will probably give in to him like every other venue has, provide him with his private ashtray and fire dept. chaperone.

peace

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 30, 2014 06:53

GasLightStreet
RollingFreak

Well... LZ has had one member die. The Stones have had 2 die... Brian and Stu. Bobby is possibly more known as a Rolling Stone than anything else so... with a swig of booze, 3.

I don't think that's the case though, who's alive or dead. Perhaps the point that's being missed is the honor it is bestowed upon the act for what it did for music be retired. Certainly the Stones deserve to be included. Is it required that they be retired? LZ is retired. So... I dunno.

Nah, cause Paul McCartney isn't retired. Bruce isn't retired. I guess maybe you mean the "band" has to be retired? But then Daltrey and Townshend aren't retired.

I don't know. It really is weird. I could just never see (hey, I'll even cut Ronnie out) Jagger, Richards and Watts getting honored the same way The Who has been and Zeppelin has been. It just seems too weird. Maybe its weird cause it hasn't already happened yet and you'd assume it had? Maybe its because so prestigious and they aren't prestigious enough (which is ridiculous cause Zeppelin is sex, drugs, and loud music)? I don't know. It for some reason feels like they don't fit, at least as a group. Like, I could so easily see Mick Jagger be honored there, but that obviously wouldn't make sense at all without the band (unless he was the only living member).

And by no means am I saying they SHOULDN'T be honored. I'm just saying I can't for the life of me picture "The Rolling Stones" being honored by the Kennedy Center Honors, as strange as that is. Its too weird a picture for me.

Date: December 30, 2014 21:39

RollingFreak

And by no means am I saying they SHOULDN'T be honored. I'm just saying I can't for the life of me picture "The Rolling Stones" being honored by the Kennedy Center Honors, as strange as that is. Its too weird a picture for me.

One of the reasons it would be so cool. Besides, the Stones helped bring the appreciation of our great blues men back home so this works on a lot of levels culturally speaking. And America has sure done a lot for the Stones, financially and otherwise.

I'd love to see Chuck Berry performing a Keith tune and the look on Keith's face while he was doing it, probably not much time left for that...

I'd also love to see and hear Bonnie Raitt ripping up a Stones number with her slide guitar (without Ronnie walking all over her) and Neil Young performing Connection...the possibilities are endless for great entertainment.

peace

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 31, 2014 19:27

Well, over the years they have participated in some Award ceremonies, dependent on your point of view but in my opinion pretty dreadful all of them.
Grammys and Oscars are ok but the rest, forget it.
Never thought they would show up, its only show biz of course.
And publicity, of a sort.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 31, 2014 20:34

Saw a bit of the Al Green tribute last night, was that Lisa in the background vocals?

Oh, and Tom Hanks was really awkward.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: December 31, 2014 20:58

This would be fantastic and I am sure they will love it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 31, 2014 21:37

jlowe
Well, over the years they have participated in some Award ceremonies, dependent on your point of view but in my opinion pretty dreadful all of them.
Grammys and Oscars are ok but the rest, forget it.
Never thought they would show up, its only show biz of course.
And publicity, of a sort.

Kennedy Centre tributes is a cut above...I'd also like to see that.

Date: December 31, 2014 23:03

Bonnie Raitt's reaction at 0:20 and the friggin' President singing Whole Lotta Love at 0:37, Tracy Chapman at 1:03, Led Zepplin members at 1:27....this is one of the things I love about these tributes, priceless stuff!

peace

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: January 1, 2015 04:29

If any of you are interested, you can recommend people on the Kennedy Centre website for the 2015 honours.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: January 1, 2015 15:02

The emasculation of rock 'n' roll - Pat Boone's revenge. Rock stars in tuxes being fêted by the hopelessly square Washington élite and lame cover acts. But you can bet their new best friend Bill Clinton is furiously lobbying the Kennedys as we speak.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 1, 2015 20:10

Naturalust
Bonnie Raitt's reaction at 0:20 and the friggin' President singing Whole Lotta Love at 0:37, Tracy Chapman at 1:03, Led Zepplin members at 1:27....this is one of the things I love about these tributes, priceless stuff!

peace

That was a great performance

Date: January 2, 2015 04:43

alieb
If any of you are interested, you can recommend people on the Kennedy Centre website for the 2015 honours.

Thanks alieb, I recommended the Stones, it was painless and didn't required registering, just an email address and name. Here is the link:

[www.kennedy-center.org]

DeanGoodman

The emasculation of rock 'n' roll - Pat Boone's revenge. Rock stars in tuxes being fêted by the hopelessly square Washington élite and lame cover acts.

grinning smiley lmfao. Fortunately, Pat Boone will probably not make the cut. But more like the coming of age of rock 'n' roll, reminding us that Washington's elite are more hip than we know, grew up listening to the same rock we did. I'd bet many more of them listen to the Stones than to Mr. Boone.

As far as lame cover acts go, all the artists I've seen are pretty damn interesting, have great original material of their own and tend to try to make their renditions of the honorees tunes their own.

And, as much as I'd like to believe that Stones rock 'n' roll is still about rebellion, alternative lifestyle, balls, and us against the man, I think that kinda ended about the same time Mick was knighted and Keith published a children's book.

peace

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 2, 2015 04:57

Awards ceremonies and the Rolling Stones - the history of this is slightly humorous and to the Stones' credit they get the last laugh..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1641
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home