Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Anyone attend any of The Rolling Stones 71 UK Tour shows
Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: February 24, 2015 08:08

VideoJames
I submitted a bunch of things and suggestions, I got a No thank you for my Top of the Pops,Bitch & Wild Horses. I would suggest if there are any "outtakes" from the Olympic sessions and Stargroves sessions circa 1969-1970 list them for me here and will foraward some of them on as songs fans want to hear. I have nothing to do with what will be used in the end but can make suggestions. Hey..One never knows???

Thanks! How about some of these?

690524A 24th May - 2nd July: THE ROLLING STONES. London, Olympic Sound
Studios. Producer: Jimmy Miller. Sound engineers: Glyn Johns; Andy Johns; Glyn Johns and George Chkiantz on Jiving Sister Fanny.
- Toss The Coin (MJ/KR) -unverified
- The Vulture (MJ/KR) -unverified

691017A 17th October - 26th October: THE ROLLING STONES. Los Angeles,
Sunset Sound Studios &
28th October - 2nd November: Los Angeles, Elektra Studios. Producer:
Jimmy Miller. Sound engineer: Glyn Johns (& Bruce Botnik at Elektra).
Additional musicians: Bobby Keys, Nanette Workman, Merry Clayton,
Byron Berline and Leon Russell. Overdubbing and mixing-sessions.
- Hillside Blues (MJ/KR) -Bobby Keys on sax
Note: Hillside Blues is commonly known as I Don’t Know The Reason
Why. All Down The Line could stem from London June 1969.

700300A March - May: THE ROLLING STONES. London, Olympic Sound Studios &
Newbury, Stargroves (MJ’s house) with Mobile Recording Unit. Producer:
Jimmy Miller. Sound engineers: Glyn Johns, Andy Johns & Chris Kimsey.
- As Now (MJ/KR) -unverified
- Rock It (MJ/KR) -unverified
- Travelling Tiger (MJ/KR) -unverified
- Who Am I? I (MJ/KR) -unverified early version
- [Sway (unedited ending)]
Note: At least Sway was recorded at Stargroves, MJ’s house in Newbury with the
Mobile Recording Unit.

700616A 16th June - 27th July: THE ROLLING STONES. London, Olympic Sound
Studios. Producer: Jimmy Miller. Sound engineers: Glyn Johns, Andy Johns,
(Chris Kimsey substituted for Andy Johns on the 22nd July).
- Aladdin Stomp (MJ/KR) -unverified (20th July)

- Candlewick Bedspread (MJ/KR) -unverified (30th June)
- Can't You Hear Me Knocking (MJ/KR) [unedited version]
- Hey Mama (MJ/KR) -unverified
- Leather Jacket (MT) -instrumental (22nd June)
- Shake Your Hips I (James Moore) -unverified early version (27th July)
- Who Am I? II (MJ/KR) (15th July)
Note: Stop Breaking Down and Sweet Virginia were probably already
begun in June 1969.

701017A 17th - 31st October: THE ROLLING STONES. Newbury, Stargroves (MJ’s
house) with Mobile Record Unit and London, Olympic Sound Studios.
Producer: Jimmy Miller. Sound engineer: Glyn Johns. Incl.
- Potted Shrimp (MJ/KR) -Nicky Hopkins on piano; instrumental
- Red House (Jimi Hendrix) -unverified
- Travellin' Man (MJ/KR) -Nicky Hopkins on piano

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: February 24, 2015 08:13

VideoJames
Yes, I am working on both projects, ... Marquee ... project

Any chance the "squirrel on meth" editing of the Marquee show could be changed?

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: February 24, 2015 12:56

VideoJames
I got a No thank you for my Top of the Pops,Bitch & Wild Horses.

Strange, I thought the Stones were looking after those videos

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: February 24, 2015 13:19

mitch
VideoJames

No, I offered it to them they were not looking for it. I thought they would want it, but I guess it is not the direction they are going with. BTW they were only going to get the audio track from the master video as the Fingers release is only going to be a CD & Book release, There is no Fingers DVD as far as I know. Look for studio outtakes hopefully.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: February 24, 2015 13:34

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. Absolutely fantastic, especially the first-person stories.

Date: February 24, 2015 13:48

VideoJames
mitch
VideoJames

No, I offered it to them they were not looking for it. I thought they would want it, but I guess it is not the direction they are going with. BTW they were only going to get the audio track from the master video as the Fingers release is only going to be a CD & Book release, There is no Fingers DVD as far as I know. Look for studio outtakes hopefully.

Most likely only a separate Eagle Rock release of the Marquee-"gig"?

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: February 24, 2015 14:50

VideoJames
BTW they were only going to get the audio track from the master video as the Fingers release is only going to be a CD & Book release,

OK, thanks for clarifying.
I don't really understand the point to release on CD those tracks if only the vocals are live on it.

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: February 24, 2015 19:33

It's such a shame that Jagger & Co have such little interest in their recorded legacy.
I've never understood it.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: February 25, 2015 23:08

I was at the first Roundhouse gig. "Tell us more, Harlem Shuffler," I hear you say.
A few friends and I bunked off school to queue for tickets - no internet back then my dears.
The first support act was a band called Noir and the singer made a rubbish joke about the band not being the Rolling Stones which deservedly didn't get much of a response.
Next came the Groundhogs and then I think some sort of a star was put down on the front of the stage. Did they use that on on previous tours to mark Mick's spot or is my memory playing tricks?
I remember Mick and Keith getting ready to start Prodigal Son and Keith asked if we could hear to which there weren't many replies. Mick grinned and said, "Too bad!"
I also recall Mick asking if we could "take all these new songs" one of which was Brown Sugar.
The gig went down well but the audience was quite subdued. Perhaps it wasn't cool in London in 1971 to dance about - not that there was much room to anyway.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-11 16:52 by Harlem Shuffler.

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: February 27, 2015 08:01

DandelionPowderman
VideoJames
mitch
VideoJames

Yes, and that is where we would see the TOTP performances as an extra (If we do see them at all). Kinda like the montreux rehearsals stuff that ended up on the L&GTRS dvd as an extra.

I'm still holding out hope for that, as the stones were officially looking for those performances a while back (reaching out on facebook IIRC)

Posted by: Fishstain ()
Date: March 4, 2015 21:18

I was at the second Roundhouse show. Great day all round. the day was started in a bizarre way as when we walked through Regent's Park, there were the Monty Python team playing football. A proper game too. Very weird.

Anyway the first show overran and there were also a lot of problems with people having fake tickets. We eventually got in and it was heaving. We got pushed right to the front against one of the speakers. Noir and Groundhogs supported before The Stones came on. The crowd were certainly up for it and the Stones seemed to be as well.

I remember my mate aping Jagger's movements at the front and him coming down almost to sing in his face. As for the setlist, the one on Setlist FM is definitely wrong. Can't remember CYHMK or Wild Horses being played and there was definitely no SFTD encore.

Just before the last song Jagger announced that as it was the last show, Charlie was going to sing "As Tears Go By". He didn't of course and the went into "Street Fighting Man."
At the end Jagger blew rose petals and polystyrene shapes were blown across the auditorium and the band disappeared never to return. The show finished so late that the tubes had stopped running but luckily a guy we had met at the show let three of us kip on his floor. Ah those were the days.

Certainly the best Stones show I saw but not the smallest as I was lucky enough to get tickets for the Astoria show in 2003 - a show that was disappointing in comparison.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 5, 2015 04:54

44 years ago it was their first concert at Newcastle Hall. Here's a fine article about the 1971 tour: [www.udiscovermusic.com]

Posted by: RODAXE ()
Date: March 12, 2015 00:17

VideoJames
mitch
VideoJames

How much would you want for these top of the pops videos?

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: April 9, 2015 17:02

achilles77
DandelionPowderman
VideoJames
mitch
VideoJames

Yes, and that is where we would see the TOTP performances as an extra (If we do see them at all). Kinda like the montreux rehearsals stuff that ended up on the L&GTRS dvd as an extra.

I'm still holding out hope for that, as the stones were officially looking for those performances a while back (reaching out on facebook IIRC)

Well, it looks like we're only getting the BS TOTP for the Marquee dvd, while the other two songs stay lost in the mists of time. Maybe Videojames could upload them to Youtube since it looks like they won't ever be officially released...

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2467
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home