Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Summer Romance
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 18, 2014 15:40

DandelionPowderman

But did Mick have a choice? The song was started in break-neck speed, and imo he simply had to punk it up.

Yeah, probably at that moment he had no other choice, but I guess he had initially a say how to approach those kind of songs, since that sounded being a constant arrangement idea thorough the tour. I can't think Mick being a powerless 'victim' here just trying to cope with Keith's arbitrary tempo intuition...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: December 18, 2014 15:46

Probably not.

But Keith starts it, and probably just how he wants it to be, right there on the spot as well. Sometimes, though, it went wrong, very wrong grinning smiley

3:20

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 18, 2014 16:34

That's almost a classic as far as train wrecks go...grinning smiley Both Keith and Charlie seem to screw up big time the beginning (and even though later somehow sorting it out, don't seem to click very together)... However, it is Jagger who at the very moment when the others sound like giving up, takes the song into his shoulders and carry the band somehow thorough the song... That's the cost of organic band like the Stones.. but hilarous stuff!

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-18 17:54 by Doxa.

Date: December 18, 2014 16:39

Doxa
That's almost a classic as far as train wecks go...grinning smiley Both Keith and Charlie seem to screw up big time the beginning (and even though later somehow sorting it out, don't seem to click very together)... However, it is Jagger who at the very moment when the others sound like giving up, takes the song into his shoulders and carry the band somehow thorough the song... That's the cost of organic band like the Stones.. but hilarous stuff!

- Doxa

Indeed he did! It's funny that Charlie changed the beat again, just a second after he found it. Without that panical drumroll, they would have clicked right then smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 18, 2014 17:54

What's more bizarre aside from Charlie not finding the straightness of that train wreck She's So Cold was Keith's inability to just move the riffage to match Charlie's place in time.

Date: December 18, 2014 17:55

GasLightStreet
What's more bizarre aside from Charlie not finding the straightness of that train wreck She's So Cold was Keith's inability to just move the riffage to match Charlie's place in time.

That's what he tried, when Charlie went for the "a drumroll will solve this problem-strategy" grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-18 17:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 18, 2014 18:12

Witness
Elmo Lewis
Witness
I like every song of the loveable EMOTIONAL RESCUE and also this one.

"Summer Romance" is of the class of Stones songs that are different. But I wonder, what kind of song is it really? I venture one characterization: Possibly, it is a "reggae ballad". Not simply a ballad, not really reggae, but all the same, "reggae ballad".

Put down the crack pipe. It's a barrel ahead rocker.

Maybe you're thinking of "Send It To Me".

I was, in fact, thinking of "Summer Romance".

There was a reason to my saying "venture one characterization". Besides, I used the words "not simply a ballad, not really reggae". I acknowledge that the song rocks between the verses. A relisten to it reminds me that it also somewhat rocks out of verses. Apart from that, however, during the verses I find something else than a rocker through and through. Something that brought me tentatively to call the song "possibly, ....., all the same, "a reggae ballad"".

You're both wrong. It is clearly a Gregorian Chant.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 19, 2014 04:30

Wild Slivovitz
...I love Emotional Rescue... especially the drum sound.

Yes! Emotional is never near my top in Stones records but I do think this album is where Charlie is at his best -- and the production probably helps that a lot as well.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 19, 2014 09:00

buffalo7478

At best, a pile of mostly throwaway songs. The only real original sound to me was the song ER. Though they tried to add reggae, pop, punk and blues, it all sounds contrived.

This is 100% correct. It's just....contrived....you are right! No other word for it. Even the album's artwork is cold, like much of the music contained on the record.

Date: December 19, 2014 10:53

I ask again: What's contrived about Down In The Hole and All About You?

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: December 19, 2014 15:55

Rather hear this then some of the stuff they repeat over and over on tour

Date: December 19, 2014 16:28

Is this version the closest they've been to punk ever?

Date: December 19, 2014 16:33

DandelionPowderman

Nothing. They're deaf. All About You is genius. Down In The Hole is fantastic. She's So Cold is one of those songs where if you needed a model of what the Stones sound like this is one of the key components to that model.

And Summer Romance, well, for some reason it's a gem that got lost.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 19, 2014 16:39

DandelionPowderman

nothing.

and the performances on the album are excellent. the writing on the whole is not as strong as say on Tattoo You or Some Girls, but it's not weak either and the sound of the album is sublime.

Look at the tracks, Dance, Emotional Rescue, Down In The Hole, All About You, She's So Cold.

All excellent songs, and that's half the album.

Let Me Go, Summer Romance, Where The Boys Go, straight ahead rockers...you either like them or not, but seriously what's not to like.

Indian Girl doesn't get much love and I understand that. I don't mind that change of pace on the album though.

Send It To Me....SHE COULD BE AUSTRALIAN, she could be the alien...it's gets a pass just on the hilarious lyrics.

This is a highly underrated album. I think just as some albums don't age well some age very well, and this one has. The production on the album is up there with their best, Sticky, LIB, Tattoo You which doesn't hurt either.

Date: December 19, 2014 16:46

Well-said, treacle.

The guitar playing on Send It To Me also needs to be mentioned, imo. Keith and Ronnie both plays excellently thumbs up

ER is one of the Stones albums with the best guitar interplay ever, imo (Dance, Send It To Me, All About You, Down In The Hole, She's So Cold, Summer Romance)

Date: December 19, 2014 18:47

Well now you've done it - I've gone and made another Stones comp called... NEIGHBOURS! It features starts with Lies and the second track is Summer Romance... the sneering ripping rocking tunes from 1978-1983.

Date: December 19, 2014 20:09

thumbs up

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: December 19, 2014 21:42

TheGreek
a great song off of emotional rescue. one of my laments is that this track has never been performed live by the glimmers . a missed oppurtunity of some live magic in the setlist .great vocals , great guitars and great drums .truly a masterpiece with the weaving guitars!!!!!!!!!

Got closer than most of ER, that clip of it being rehearsed before SNL 1978 is at least a nice taste.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 20, 2014 22:21

The stones remind me of the Clash on the ER album. Its the only album of theirs where I feel that way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-21 00:04 by ryanpow.

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: December 20, 2014 23:28

This cd provides just about a little bit of everything. Might have to dig it out tonite.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 12:04

I've changed my mind on this track; while it's not one of the top 5 on the underrated album (Dance, All About You, She's So Cold, Emotional Rescue, Down in a Hole) - after listening again over last few weeks, I've gotten to really appreciate the simple pleasure of 'Summr Romance'. Especialy the middle section; Bill and Charlie grooving mightily under some fine guitar sparring. Not a serious Stones track, not even one of the high points on ER, but it's the band playing very well, and even on this lesser track, it's bloody catchy!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 13:08

Like the music. Like the lyric. Hate the vocal delivery. One of Jagger's all time howlers.

Rod

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 17:40

"not a serious stones track" - i would have to agree with you irelandcalling :-)

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 9, 2015 00:53

I had to ask a British friend what "spotty" meant, ha ha.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: September 9, 2015 04:41

Ok, so legend has it that Mick was asking Ronnie how the middle-eight of SR goes when Keith came in and punched him. ... What would you say is the middle-eight of the song?

Date: September 10, 2015 03:30

Mel Belli
Ok, so legend has it that Mick was asking Ronnie how the middle-eight of SR goes when Keith came in and punched him. ... What would you say is the middle-eight of the song?

Uh huh. Right.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: September 10, 2015 03:44

When Keith punched Ronnie, I should clarify. Not a legend at all. Ronnie recounts it in his book.

In any case, I'm truly at pains to identify the song's middle-eight!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1591
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home