Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Summer Romance
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 16, 2014 02:14

The amazing aspect for me with "She's So Cold" at its time as new song was the most beautiful guitar sound, at very first hearing so strangely at odds with the angry words and vocal. Then all of a sudden it struck me then how cold the guitar sound was and is in all its beauty.

That magic has never left the song for me, said about the defining studio version.

Added: I am surprised to read "All About You" described as an interchangable song. Because I am unable to conceive of a more bitter song. One may not like it. But to find it interchangable, I see as somewhat strange.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-16 02:26 by Witness.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 16, 2014 03:39

Emotional Rescue's 3 ripping tracks:
- Summer Romance
- Let Me Go
- Where The Boys Go

always lag behind the 3 from Some Girls:
- Respectable
- Lies
- Whip Comes Down

For one, the Some Girls tracks came first, and most importantly, the lyrics on the Some Girls tracks are far superior.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: December 16, 2014 04:06

Witness
"Desperately trying" and "throwaway"! At the same time?

In case, much in the same manner as many songs on EXILE ON MAIN STREET.

I mean 'throwaway' as having no value..nothing worth preserving or revisiting.

As for Exiles...to each his/her own, but I don't think there is a weak song on the record...all 4 sides. Even Turd On The Run or Just Wanna See His Face have feeling to them that I love.

But hey, everyone has an opinion.

Date: December 16, 2014 04:29

My comparison was not to slight EXILE. Rather to refer to a recent discussion of EXILE, where seeming fillers do not end up as fillers all the same. But I find no weak tracks and hardly any mediocre (well, possibly "Let Me Go" ) on EMOTIONAL RESCUE either (or, for that matter, UNDERCOVER).

Date: December 16, 2014 04:56

LeonidP
Emotional Rescue's 3 ripping tracks:
- Summer Romance
- Let Me Go
- Where The Boys Go

always lag behind the 3 from Some Girls:
- Respectable
- Lies
- Whip Comes Down

For one, the Some Girls tracks came first, and most importantly, the lyrics on the Some Girls tracks are far superior.

For there to be one response to you at this hour:

OK. My own taste and views are different though. To me EMOTIONAL RESCUE is a much more even album, where to me in contrast SOME GIRLS is much more uneven, but has three stand out songs. In my view those are not your choices, but instead "Miss You", "Far Away Eyes" and "Shattered".

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 16, 2014 07:41

Thats fine, since everyone has their own opinions about Stones music, but that is why we're seeing things so differently (and by "we" I mean you and some of the other people. Your 3 tracks I think have a very different feeling to others, myself included. Far Away Eyes is a great song, but to me Shattered and Miss You are the two worst tracks on Some Girls. The horrible bookends to a GREAT album.

But again, thats me, and I think its pretty safe to say thats LeonidP's and Buffalo's. Obviously those tracks are monsters and you're in good company with them being considered great tracks. But I think thats why there's such a difference with the Emotional Rescue tracks, because most of us found the high points (if there are) of that album in the rock tracks, whereas you were fine with the experimental dancey direction the Stones were going in.

Posted by: beno ()
Date: December 16, 2014 11:07

Silver Dagger

What's interesting about Summer Romance is that the Stones for the first time in ages are singing to a younger audience instead of to their peers. They're actively trying to re-engage with a teen audience, or to be more precise, a punk teen audience.

Can't we consider IORR has already some similar generation gap?

If I could stick a knife in my heart
Suicide right on stage
Would it be enough for your teenage lust
Would it help to ease the pain? Ease your brain?

Not to mention Stray Cat with 15 ys olds... :-)

Date: December 16, 2014 11:30

RollingFreak
Thats fine, since everyone has their own opinions about Stones music, but that is why we're seeing things so differently (and by "we" I mean you and some of the other people. Your 3 tracks I think have a very different feeling to others, myself included. Far Away Eyes is a great song, but to me Shattered and Miss You are the two worst tracks on Some Girls. The horrible bookends to a GREAT album.

But again, thats me, and I think its pretty safe to say thats LeonidP's and Buffalo's. Obviously those tracks are monsters and you're in good company with them being considered great tracks. But I think thats why there's such a difference with the Emotional Rescue tracks, because most of us found the high points (if there are) of that album in the rock tracks, whereas you were fine with the experimental dancey direction the Stones were going in.

The Stones were funking already in 1973 on Heartbreaker. I wouldn't call Dance, She's So Cold or Send It To Me either experimental or dance-tracks. Simply because this music (funk, pop/rock, reggae) wasn't modern anymore at that time.

ER the track, however, sounds like a follow-up to Miss You, albeit a tad weaker, imo.

Then we're left with 3 rockers (SR, LMG and WTBG), a speak-easy/jazzy ballad (AAY), a tex/mex pastiche (IG) and a great blues (DITH).

A versatile record, just like its predecessor - but for different reasons, imo.

PS: I like the rockers on ER, too. But I like the faster live versions of LMG even more than the album version.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 16, 2014 13:49

the big issue for the album emotional rescue is there was no tour to properly support the new album . think of it like this if the stones toured in support of this fine album ,then we would hear live ,summer romance, where the boys go, down in the hole (which is by far one of the best blues tracks the glimmers have ever recorded).then we would all be rocking out to them in a big way a-la start me up. there lies the sin of the glimmers that they did not tour to support this masterpiece of an album (i know i can hear all the naysayers bashing this ).i know the stones touring model was every three years and this was in between some girls tour 1978 and the tattoo you tour 1981 .this was a album with very good songwriting as opposed to other albums that the glimmers mined the vaults .i do know that a lot of these tracks go back to the pathe marconi sessions .a lot of these tracks along with the some girls album were recorded in anticipation of Keiths upcoming legal issues in Canada and so the stones wanted to lay down a lot of tracks to cover some girls album and beyond .nothing wrong with that !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-16 13:52 by TheGreek.

Date: December 16, 2014 14:04

TheGreek
the big issue for the album emotional rescue is there was no tour to properly support the new album . think of it like this if the stones toured in support of this fine album ,then we would hear live ,summer romance, where the boys go, down in the hole (which is by far one of the best blues tracks the glimmers have ever recorded).then we would all be rocking out to them in a big way a-la start me up. there lies the sin of the glimmers that they did not tour to support this masterpiece of an album (i know i can hear all the naysayers bashing this ).i know the stones touring model was every three years and this was in between some girls tour 1978 and the tattoo you tour 1981 .this was a album with very good songwriting as opposed to other albums that the glimmers mined the vaults .i do know that a lot of these tracks go back to the pathe marconi sessions .a lot of these tracks along with the some girls album were recorded in anticipation of Keiths upcoming legal issues in Canada and so the stones wanted to lay down a lot of tracks to cover some girls album and beyond .nothing wrong with that !

Not at all. Especially since those sessions were less than two years prior to the ER sessions.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 16, 2014 16:10

TheGreek

the 'sound' of this album, the production, is also exceptionally good.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 16, 2014 16:48

Witness
I like every song of the loveable EMOTIONAL RESCUE and also this one.

"Summer Romance" is of the class of Stones songs that are different. But I wonder, what kind of song is it really? I venture one characterization: Possibly, it is a "reggae ballad". Not simply a ballad, not really reggae, but all the same, "reggae ballad".

Put down the crack pipe. It's a barrel ahead rocker.

Maybe you're thinking of "Send It To Me".

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: December 16, 2014 16:51

treaclefingers
TheGreek

the 'sound' of this album, the production, is also exceptionally good.

So hard and so clean at the same time. Quite an achievement, imo.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 16, 2014 18:34

compare the sound and the production QUALITY with say a bigger bang . everything on a bigger bang is loud and distorted guiatrs (i love distortion guitars but in the proper context) check out the some girls album , emotional rescue album tattoo you album , steel wheels album compared to a bigger bang? big difference compared to emotional rescue album .i think it was chris kimsey behind the studio board

Date: December 16, 2014 19:30

Elmo Lewis
Witness
I like every song of the loveable EMOTIONAL RESCUE and also this one.

"Summer Romance" is of the class of Stones songs that are different. But I wonder, what kind of song is it really? I venture one characterization: Possibly, it is a "reggae ballad". Not simply a ballad, not really reggae, but all the same, "reggae ballad".

Put down the crack pipe. It's a barrel ahead rocker.

Maybe you're thinking of "Send It To Me".

I was, in fact, thinking of "Summer Romance".

There was a reason to my saying "venture one characterization". Besides, I used the words "not simply a ballad, not really reggae". I acknowledge that the song rocks between the verses. A relisten to it reminds me that it also somewhat rocks out of verses. Apart from that, however, during the verses I find something else than a rocker through and through. Something that brought me tentatively to call the song "possibly, ....., all the same, "a reggae ballad"".

Date: December 16, 2014 23:09

It's fast and built round country/rockabilly, but I (probably) see what you mean, Witness. The chorus could indeed have achieved some of the same effect slowed down in a reggae rhythm dressing.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: December 17, 2014 06:10

I don't seek it out to play but it's a good track to have in the background of a BBQ when spinning ER album. Certainly Jagger and Richards on autopilot for mine.

And Witness I completely agree about the guitar sounds of "She's so cold". Absolutely beautiful sound.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: December 17, 2014 14:17

When as a kid I spent a few weeks in England studying English, I already used to speak a lot about The Rolling Stones. During a conversation, much to my surprise my teacher told me "Summer Romance" was his favourite song of theirs. I was glad the song got that credit!!

I love Emotional Rescue, it's a fun record with lot of energy. And the production is great, especially the drum sound.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 17, 2014 15:02

beno
Silver Dagger

What's interesting about Summer Romance is that the Stones for the first time in ages are singing to a younger audience instead of to their peers. They're actively trying to re-engage with a teen audience, or to be more precise, a punk teen audience.

Can't we consider IORR has already some similar generation gap?

If I could stick a knife in my heart
Suicide right on stage
Would it be enough for your teenage lust
Would it help to ease the pain? Ease your brain?

Not to mention Stray Cat with 15 ys olds... :-)

Blimey you're right beno - you've highlighted a worrying pattern here. eye popping smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 17, 2014 17:00

Summer Romance was started for SOME GIRLS... it's too bad they didn't finish it for SOME GIRLS.

1978 - 5th - 29th January & early February - 2nd March: Boulogne-Billancourt, France,
Pathé Marconi Studios

Nevertheless, it's a great little rockin' tune. Not everything has to be JJF or EXILE! Great guitars! And a hilarious vocal delivery from Mick.

Date: December 17, 2014 17:06

RollingFreak
One of very few good songs on Emotional Rescue. And its still a throwaway.

Thats actually the main problem I have with ER. The songs weren't terrible. Let Me Go, Indian Girl. They had potential. The problem was the Stones were on autopilot. Every song sounded like they were just meandering through it. It was just a means to an end and thats why something like Indian Girl never reaches its full potential. Cause the Stones are mindlessly strumming through it while Jagger is almost mumbling the lyrics.

Thats why Summer Romance kind of shines. Cause the frenetic pace actually shows some life. But in the end, it is still a throwaway and doesn't measure up that well. Its just not AS BAD as the other stuff on ER.

Eh, that's possibly a bit strong really. The title track aside, She's So Cold and All About You are perfect. All About You is incredible. The last 4 tracks on the LP are outstanding. The first bit of the album, a bit all over the place. Dance is cool but nothing spectacular. Summer Romance is hilariously out of place. It would've fit better on SG probably.

One thing is for certain - the sound of ER is their best sounding record. She's So Cold sounds amazing.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 17, 2014 17:39

I think "Summer Romance" is a typical EMOTIONAL RESCUE track in the sense that even though the song-writing might be a bit lazy, the band is so red hot as it ever can be. The Pathe Marconi magic. The guitarwork is especially tasty (and I think the feature that most captured young Doxa's attention from otherwise odd album from first listening.) - to me trademark Keith and Ronnie stuff from that time. The band sound even one inch more relaxed than in masterful SOME GIRLS.

Anyway, as I say the song-writing is a bit lazy, that partly is the charm of EMOTIONAL RESCUE in general and "Summer Romance" in particular - the arrogant, decadent attitude, which compansates the lack of genuine inspiration. By today's terms we could say the song is "Stones-by-numbers", something they can come up half-sleep, but however, it is the inspirational delivery, which sound eternally fresh, that makes the difference to more recent stuff.

Hmm.. how to rank it? I think it better than "Where The Boys Go", but weaker than "Let Me Go". There.

- Doxa

Date: December 17, 2014 17:46

Doxa
I think "Summer Romance" is a typical EMOTIONAL RESCUE track in the sense that even though the song-writing might be a bit lazy, the band is so red hot as it ever can be. The Pathe Marconi magic. The guitarwork is especially tasty (and I think the feature that most captured young Doxa's attention from otherwise odd album from first listening.) - to me trademark Keith and Ronnie stuff from that time. The band sound even one inch more relaxed than in masterful SOME GIRLS.

Anyway, as I say the song-writing is a bit lazy, that partly is the charm of EMOTIONAL RESCUE in general and "Summer Romance" in particular - the arrogant, decadent attitude, which compansates the lack of genuine inspiration. By today's terms we could say the song is "Stones-by-numbers", something they can come up half-sleep, but however, it is the inspirational delivery, which sound eternally fresh, that makes the difference to more recent stuff.

Hmm.. how to rank it? I think it better than "Where The Boys Go", but weaker than "Let Me Go". There.

- Doxa

If the Stones could toss off 'Stones-by-numbers' tracks like that today, hell, we'd get a great album! Their recent output (FORTY LICKS, the two from the monkey album) isn't exactly... well, I dunno. Don't Stop, Doom And Gloom and One More Shot sound like OK 'Stones-by-numbers'.

Date: December 17, 2014 20:24

I would say that "Summer Romance" is an excellent example of that kind of Stones songs that are unambitious, but inspired. Unambitiously inspired.

Date: December 17, 2014 23:22

Witness
I would say that "Summer Romance" is an excellent example of that kind of Stones songs that are unambitious, but inspired. Unambitiously inspired.

Yeah, I dig that description. Especially during those 'punk-influenced' times, they sounded inspired doing simple rockers, which creatively weren't any kind of challenges for them. But they sound so natural (in opposition to forced), which I think always asks some sort of inspiration. (Not all though, I think "Lies", "Where The Boys Go" and "Neighbours" are a bit so-so cases.) By contrast, before SOME GIRLS, and after EXILE, they sounded a bit tired and uninspired in that kind of simple rocker material - I suppose simply it is a mark of an artistic exhaustion, since they had excelled that stuff especially in EXILE. Stuff like "Silver Train", "Star Star", "If You Can't Rock Me", "Dance Little Sister or "Crazy Mama" comes to mind (which aren't to say that they are not good songs; they probably are even better song-writing-wise than some, or even many, Pathe Marconi era rockers).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-17 23:24 by Doxa.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 18, 2014 00:03

Doxa
Witness

Yeah, I dig that description. Especially during those 'punk-influenced' times, they sounded inspired doing simple rockers, which creatively weren't any kind of challenges for them. But they sound so natural (in opposition to forced), which I think always asks some sort of inspiration. (Not all though, I think "Lies", "Where The Boys Go" and "Neighbours" are a bit so-so cases.) By contrast, before SOME GIRLS, and after EXILE, they sounded a bit tired and uninspired in that kind of simple rocker material - I suppose simply it is a mark of an artistic exhaustion, since they had excelled that stuff especially in EXILE. Stuff like "Silver Train", "Star Star", "If You Can't Rock Me", "Dance Little Sister or "Crazy Mama" comes to mind (which aren't to say that they are not good songs; they probably are even better song-writing-wise than some, or even many, Pathe Marconi era rockers).

- Doxa

I agree good exmaples Doxa...I just don't have the love for stuff like Silver Train or Star Star.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: December 18, 2014 11:03

I always loved the album ER, and for me one of its highlights has always been SR. A straight forward rocker with loud guitars and a nasty, decadent attitude.

It´s a bit out of topic, but the Hampton version of SSS really is great. I even prefer it to the studio version.

Date: December 18, 2014 11:08

wandering spirit
I always loved the album ER, and for me one of its highlights has always been SR. A straight forward rocker with loud guitars and a nasty, decadent attitude.

It´s a bit out of topic, but the Hampton version of SSS really is great. I even prefer it to the studio version.

Keith playing open G almost makes it a different song. It goes from pop/rock to pretty hard rock'n'roll, imo. I like both approaches, btw thumbs up

Date: December 18, 2014 14:57

DandelionPowderman
wandering spirit

Keith playing open G almost makes it a different song. It goes from pop/rock to pretty hard rock'n'roll, imo. I like both approaches, btw thumbs up

I guess it's "She's So Sold" you are talking aboutgrinning smiley... Yeah, it is a great version. Not just Keith's guitar, but also Jagger's vocals puts the song to different zone... almost punk rock, especially the way the lyrics are mouthed... It is funny how they decide to pick up those two mid-tempo rockers from EMOTIONAL RESCUE (SSC & LMG) and play them fast, fast, fast.... "Summer Romance" and "Where The Boys Go" would have been more in that territory already...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-18 14:59 by Doxa.

Date: December 18, 2014 15:15

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
wandering spirit

I guess it's "She's So Sold" you are talking aboutgrinning smiley... Yeah, it is a great version. Not just Keith's guitar, but also Jagger's vocals puts the song to different zone... almost punk rock, especially the way the lyrics are mouthed... It is funny how they decide to pick up those two mid-tempo rockers from EMOTIONAL RESCUE (SSC & LMG) and play them fast, fast, fast.... "Summer Romance" and "Where The Boys Go" would have been more in that territory already...

- Doxa

Ha ha grinning smiley

But did Mick have a choice? The song was started in break-neck speed, and imo he simply had to punk it up.

How the tempo would have been set on SR and Where The Boys Go, we can only dream of... >grinning smiley<

But it would have been fast, really fast.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1702
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home