Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
And I always thought Mick T.´s solo on Sympathy on YaYa´s was unique...
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 13, 2014 01:03

Re: And I always thought Mick T.´s solo on Sympathy on YaYa´s was unique...
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 13, 2014 01:12

thumbs up great give him a 8 and Taylor an 10+

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: December 13, 2014 01:15

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-13 01:15 by lapaz62.

Date: December 13, 2014 01:16

Date: December 13, 2014 01:20

Date: December 13, 2014 01:22

Date: December 13, 2014 01:25

Date: December 13, 2014 01:35

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 16, 2014 18:01

They all imitate Taylor quite nicely, but one immediately hears that it's not Taylor himself. It only makes you realize how great he was (and still can be).

Anyway, let's listen to some Taylor soaring during the beginning of 1990:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-16 18:16 by kleermaker.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: December 16, 2014 18:29

a question to the guitar players here, who in your opinion is the hardest to imitate Taylor,Richards or Wood ?

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 16, 2014 18:43

kleermaker
They all imitate Taylor quite nicely, but one immediately hears that it's not Taylor himself. It only makes you realize how great he was (and still can be).

Anyway, let's listen to some Taylor soaring during the beginning of 1990:

I think Mick taylor is still great performing Midnight Rambler "The Rolling Stones 2014 Tour".

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: December 16, 2014 19:25

Ket
a question to the guitar players here, who in your opinion is the hardest to imitate Taylor,Richards or Wood ?

There's no instant answer imo. It depends on the musical background and style one has developed over the years.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 16, 2014 19:50

Technically, Keith and Ronnie are easier to imitate than Mick Taylor. You need to practice a lot to get the fluidness and vibrato of Taylor's leads, not to mention the actual runs of notes he picks.

Keith's guitar playing has a lot of feel to it, of course, which certainly is not something everybody can pick up in a heartbeat. If you're a good guitarist who can get into a groove, so to speak, many of his 5-string open G riffs and licks are pretty easy. When playing lead he has a special slightly off-pitch vibrato which ain't that easy to copy. (A good example is his solo on Sympathy on Ya-Ya's.)

Ronnie is the least distinctive of the three and therefore not too easy to copy either. Compared to Taylor's leads, Woody's are less sophisticated, more "stingy" and repetitive.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 16, 2014 20:29

Ket

Ron Wood.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 16, 2014 21:19

you may be able to copy taylor note for note but you cannot duplicate mr Taylor's vibrato (as in virtuoso )

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: December 16, 2014 21:41

The process of mimicking each of them is different. Taylor is a very schooled player and you have to seriously study his style in order to get close to what he does. Keith is a question of playing with feel and authority - requires less practice than Taylor, but rather is the sort of thing that comes with years' playing experience. Wood, I'm not sure where you'd begin copying - he's the most eclectic of the lot, and thus as LieB says the least distinctive.

Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: December 16, 2014 22:30

Fantastic effort...MT would be proud and its a GD shame that they don't try to do that again LIVE when they have Mick right at their fingertips. WAY TO GO TOO TOUGH!!!

Date: December 16, 2014 22:37

It's always most difficult to limit oneself for a guitar player, hence Keith would be the hardest to imitate, imo.

The closest I've heard might be Greg Leisz and Peter Wolf's guitarist. They really sound like Keith doing fills in standard tuning when they do that kind of session work. Check out Greg on Lucinda's latest album.

Date: December 16, 2014 22:47

Most likely people find their own guitar hero most difficult to copy.smiling smiley

Date: December 16, 2014 22:59

LuxuryStones
Most likely people find their own guitar hero most difficult to copy.smiling smiley

You got a point there...

Posted by: Sam4741 ()
Date: December 17, 2014 00:55

Ket

Keith. His open G rhythm stuff is not hard to pick up. His lead however, by no means better than Woody or Mick Taylor, is the most distinct IMO and therefore the hardest to imitate. Keith plays lead with a certain (for lack of a better word) roughness. There's nothing pretty about it. I personally find it really hard to imitate. It really is feel based though, as others have said.

Date: December 17, 2014 01:24

Keith's right hand is the tricky part.

Posted by: MisterAccapella ()
Date: December 17, 2014 03:20

[www.youtube.com]

The Glimmer Twins tribute band has got it down, note for note.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 17, 2014 03:57

DandelionPowderman
Keith's right hand is the tricky part.

True for most guitar players after a certain level. I find that fretting is pretty basic stuff and aside from vibrato it's just a matter of placement and time, while right hand stuff can get pretty tricky with loads of different picking techniques, other fingers thrown into the mix, pick selection and techniques like economy and cross picking, and even fingernail length and strength.

Guys like the great Nashville session guitarist Brent Mason can get do some amazing playing but unless you concentrate on what he's doing with his right hand, it is tough to duplicate.

peace

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 17, 2014 12:48

I find Taylor the easiest to copy, but that's exactly the point: you're only copying him. The melodic sense that he had in the early 70's is just unbelievable. But from a technical point of view it is not that complicated what he plays.

I find it harder to play like Wood and Richards, because there is a certain sloppiness they have that I find hard to emulate. I have to concentrate to play less fluid than I would normally play to sound like both of them. Also, Richards is an incredible inventive player, loading up each song with an abundance of little riffs and solo’s that I find hard to replicate. Take Imagination from Hampton for example, that’s quite hard to play.

Mathijs

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 17, 2014 15:11

Yep..I think Ron Wood is toughest.
Sloppy but has a unique sound which I personally find hard to replicate.
I agree with mathijs that Taylor is the easiest as he has some typical blues runs and patterns.
But copying is the easy thing...god help finding our own licks!!!

Date: December 17, 2014 16:04

Nice sequence of posts. I never tried to copy Taylor or Keith, but ripped licks that I could use. Like ER stated : always grow your own.

Date: December 17, 2014 16:43

LuxuryStones
Nice sequence of posts. I never tried to copy Taylor or Keith, but ripped licks that I could use. Like ER stated : always grow your own.

That's easy for you dutch guys to say. That's strictly prohibited here... winking smiley

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: December 17, 2014 17:43

I've tried to learn other guitarist's solos note for note but just get bored and would rather throw my own licks in. I guess that's why I don't know many cover tunes!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 17, 2014 18:01

That's cool that that kid learned the GYYYO! solo note for note...

Over the years I've borrowed some licks etc from Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, Mick Taylor, Jimmy Page and a handful of others... and have instilled the essence of some styles in my playing but have never considered the option of doing a solo note for note of any cover tune I've ever performed. The essence of the solo or certain lines, sure, like in Muddy Waters' Champagne And Reefer, that nasty heave that goes on. But no way is it exactly like it.

And not only that but the soloist never did their solos like that either. That GYYYO! version is stellar but no way in hell did Taylor play it exactly like that every gig. Just listening to SFTD from GIMME SHELTER shows that, yet alone how Jumpin' Jack Flash was completely different from what ended up on GYYYO! somehow.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1408
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home