Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: And I always thought Mick T.´s solo on Sympathy on YaYa´s was unique...
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 17, 2014 18:37

Ket
a question to the guitar players here, who in your opinion is the hardest to imitate Taylor,Richards or Wood ?

There are two ways of imitating: 1) Actually playing like that person, i.e., coming up with songs, licks, solos just like that person and 2) being able to identically copying a particular piece by that person.

I am a mediocre (rhythm) guitar player at best, so I wouldn't be able to imitate any of them, but as far as solos are concerned, I wouldn't even try to play what Mick Taylor does even when it's all written out. I mean, learning notes everyone can do, but he came up with them, and already for that reasons his solos are divine. Additionally, to be able to play them well, the tone, the vibrato, the fluidity, is clearly very very difficult. So, I think both for 1) and 2), Mick Taylor is the most difficult.

Obviously, Keith's solo on SFTD is much easy to learn, to copy and to play. Even so, not much people would come up with that simplicitity and pull it off so well, especially rhytmically. So, in the sense of actually coming up with what he plays, also Keith is extremely hard to imitate. His sense of rhythm, the elegance of how he plays his rhythms (also on acoustic guitar) is exceptional, and so much his earmark, that - again - , it's as good as impossible to imitate (e.g., the little stuff he does on Wingless Angels, it's so characteristically his style).

Ron Wood is more an all-round player, very good - occasionally - in solos, and steady with licks and rhythm. He did some very original stuff in the late 70's. After that, not so much anymore. I would say that his style is the least distinctive and for that reason easiest to imitate.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 17, 2014 18:50

Actually, here an example of someone who is playing all the notes of Keith's solo correctly, and still does not sound like him at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-17 18:50 by matxil.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: December 17, 2014 19:20

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
Nice sequence of posts. I never tried to copy Taylor or Keith, but ripped licks that I could use. Like ER stated : always grow your own.

That's easy for you dutch guys to say. That's strictly prohibited here... winking smiley

I quit when I was 16.smoking smiley

Posted by: fuzzbox ()
Date: December 17, 2014 19:25

Nearly all of Taylor's solos are unique. smoking smiley

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 17, 2014 22:01

Keith's was rawer, thus better.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: December 18, 2014 01:36

kleermaker
They all imitate Taylor quite nicely, but one immediately hears that it's not Taylor himself. It only makes you realize how great he was (and still can be).

Anyway, let's listen to some Taylor soaring during the beginning of 1990:

This was song amazing. This is the first time I have ever heard it. The grove reminds me of "Plundered my soul", but still fantastic playing by Taylor!

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: December 18, 2014 03:19

delete.

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-19 02:50 by bigfrankie.

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: December 18, 2014 07:46

video: [www.youtube.com]

here's a guy named Mick Taylor covering Mick Taylor

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: December 18, 2014 07:51

Date: December 18, 2014 12:51

And now: Videos of people who imitate Keith (75-82 style) successfully smoking smiley

Here's a nice-sounding GS, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-18 13:07 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: December 19, 2014 00:12

This is a nice approach/feel

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 19, 2014 00:45

DandelionPowderman
And now: Videos of people who imitate Keith (75-82 style) successfully smoking smiley

As seen in this video from the BRIDGES tour Keith doesn't use the fourths until the end but chordal arpeggios overall, in standard, of course, for Gimme Shelter, which gives it that meat.

Date: December 19, 2014 10:58

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

As seen in this video from the BRIDGES tour Keith doesn't use the fourths until the end but chordal arpeggios overall, in standard, of course, for Gimme Shelter, which gives it that meat.

He always did that live, but he's playing the studio version in open E (Keith used open D?).

Keith should try the original tuning again for this one, imo. Something has always lacked in the riff when he used standard tuning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-19 14:44 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 19, 2014 14:42

Well isn't it still? Like every solo on Ya Ya's...smoking smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 19, 2014 15:54

matxil
Actually, here an example of someone who is playing all the notes of Keith's solo correctly, and still does not sound like him at all.

So true. His vibrato and technique is more like that of Mick Taylor. Reminds me of how much I really like much of Keith's lead playing.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home