Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: December 6, 1969 Altamont -a Fact!
Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: December 10, 2014 00:25

bmuseed
deardoctortake1-- as to voices with Belli in the 1970 version. The first guy at 17:00 is Richard St. John head of Filmways not the sheriff. Later Belli talks to the sheriff (I come in at around 43:07 with the number of cars count..in reply to the sheriffs speaker phone query).
Does this help?

Ron

thanks so much for replying and viewing the film.

I just watched the DVD again from the latest release..The guy on the phone at 17:00 appears to be a lawyer, worked on other festivals, had a meeting with you earlier in that day as he says as the camera focuses on you. He complains about blades of grass being ruined. He later says he would come up and work with Mel on this . If indeed it is Richard St John, than why is Richard not the voice on the original 1970 film release? and why is the script or dialog different?

The first release the lawyer sounds a little more "effeminate" if you will and the dialog is shorter. The latest release with Richard? is a longer dialog.

The sheriff on the phone with Mr Carter later at 47:00 is a 3rd person, not on the phone with Mel earlier. So who did you meet with earlier in the day. He asks Mel if Mel met you, and Mel replies he has met you, that you are there with him.

This has always been puzzling to me, but apparently not for others.

I know it's trivial but I really would like to know why the voice on the phone changed after all those years. You would need to watch the original video cassette release prior to ABKCO perhaps, the film shown on TV to hear the original recording.

Thanks

Larry

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: December 10, 2014 00:29

Ron
If you could send me your email, I can send you a comparison mp4 of this phone conversation from both releases, as I have put them on CD a while ago.

thanks

Larry

the2000man1@aol.com

Posted by: slakka ()
Date: December 10, 2014 01:19

[callisto.ggsrv.com]

[callisto.ggsrv.com]

The Stage of Death.
David James Smith.

The Sunday Times (London, England), Sunday, March 27, 2005; pg. [36]][S9]-[37[S9]; Issue 9422. (4253 words)
Category: Feature Articles

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 10, 2014 01:29

71Tele
Why do we have to keep reliving this? It's not the freaking Kennedy assassination, yet some people continue to treat it as such.

If it doesn't interest you, then step away. Some people are interested. tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-10 03:04 by swiss.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 10, 2014 03:33

swiss
71Tele
Why do we have to keep reliving this? It's not the freaking Kennedy assassination, yet some people continue to treat it as such.

If it doesn't interest you, then step away. Some people are interested. tongue sticking out smiley

thumbs up swiss, your hard work and new research has sparked my renewed interest in the subject. I think what you are doing is awesome and I'm looking forward to the results. The audio of Stanley Booth reading the Altamont section of his book was priceless.

peace

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 10, 2014 04:07

swiss
71Tele

Who's fighting? What for? smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-10 04:50 by 71Tele.

Date: December 10, 2014 05:06

71Tele
swiss
71Tele

heh heh - I mean, of course I know what you're saying, Tele. It's not the history of Apartheid in South Africa. It's not 9/11. It's not Pearl Harbor Day.

But it was a significant touchstone culturally.

And it's such a bleeping weird story. And the more you look at it, the weirder it gets!

Aaaaaaaand the peeps who were there will not be here forever. As they say: "The library is burning down, and all its books with it." I'm gathering the stories and archives of the night before, the day, and the afterwards (afterwords). If Time decides this was an inconsequential episode in 20th Century social, musical, countercultural history, so be it. But it will be documented. And many will engage and talk about it.

Many stories have not yet been told. And many burdens, grudges, and injustices have been carried forward for many years, by many people, because of this event. My efforts are not only a re-re-re-telling but a purging and a chance for some healing -- and for more truths to out. As well as an re-examination of the nature of linear notions of "reality" or "one truth."

Every picture tells not only A story but many stories, don't it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-10 05:14 by swiss.

Posted by: footlooseman ()
Date: December 10, 2014 05:10

stonesrule
"captured the zeitgeist of the ERA?" Don't think so.

Where were you in 1969, Footloose?

how could an event like that not reflect that time and place?

i wasnt there and i didnt have to be thats the magic of reading these accounts.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 10, 2014 08:12

swiss
71Tele
swiss
71Tele

heh heh - I mean, of course I know what you're saying, Tele. It's not the history of Apartheid in South Africa. It's not 9/11. It's not Pearl Harbor Day.

But it was a significant touchstone culturally.

And it's such a bleeping weird story. And the more you look at it, the weirder it gets!

Aaaaaaaand the peeps who were there will not be here forever. As they say: "The library is burning down, and all its books with it." I'm gathering the stories and archives of the night before, the day, and the afterwards (afterwords). If Time decides this was an inconsequential episode in 20th Century social, musical, countercultural history, so be it. But it will be documented. And many will engage and talk about it.

Many stories have not yet been told. And many burdens, grudges, and injustices have been carried forward for many years, by many people, because of this event. My efforts are not only a re-re-re-telling but a purging and a chance for some healing -- and for more truths to out. As well as an re-examination of the nature of linear notions of "reality" or "one truth."

Every picture tells not only A story but many stories, don't it?

Yes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-10 09:14 by 71Tele.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: December 11, 2014 03:42

Whatever the case the bikers as I see it (by watching the film) were acting like @#$%& deserving of being shot and maybe Meredith felt the same way. Especially seeing he was a black guy in a loud suit with a very white chick at the time. A few facts that could have caused him concern around the Angels don't you think? piece

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: December 11, 2014 17:30

Richard St. Johns was the head of Filmways, which owned Sears Point. I met with him.
As to your tapes.. 1986 sounds more like the original 1970 and your 1970 doesn't. Until I check it against my DVD or VHS :-) I can't confirm other than say I never heard the over dubbed version.

deardoctortake1
bmuseed
deardoctortake1-- as to voices with Belli in the 1970 version. The first guy at 17:00 is Richard St. John head of Filmways not the sheriff. Later Belli talks to the sheriff (I come in at around 43:07 with the number of cars count..in reply to the sheriffs speaker phone query).
Does this help?

Ron

thanks so much for replying and viewing the film.

I just watched the DVD again from the latest release..The guy on the phone at 17:00 appears to be a lawyer, worked on other festivals, had a meeting with you earlier in that day as he says as the camera focuses on you. He complains about blades of grass being ruined. He later says he would come up and work with Mel on this . If indeed it is Richard St John, than why is Richard not the voice on the original 1970 film release? and why is the script or dialog different?

The first release the lawyer sounds a little more "effeminate" if you will and the dialog is shorter. The latest release with Richard? is a longer dialog.

The sheriff on the phone with Mr Carter later at 47:00 is a 3rd person, not on the phone with Mel earlier. So who did you meet with earlier in the day. He asks Mel if Mel met you, and Mel replies he has met you, that you are there with him.

This has always been puzzling to me, but apparently not for others.

I know it's trivial but I really would like to know why the voice on the phone changed after all those years. You would need to watch the original video cassette release prior to ABKCO perhaps, the film shown on TV to hear the original recording.

Thanks

Larry

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: December 15, 2014 21:41

Can anyone recommend a good Altamont boot? The ones I've seen are all audience recordings and I'm always a little leery of audience recs. But, I'll take 'em if they're decent!

(Apologies if I should've started a new topic instead of piggybacking on this one.)

Date: December 15, 2014 23:41

[i1256.photobucket.com]
There were eager-eyed boys and girls down front, Angels all round, tour guides trying to maintain positions between the Angels and the Stones. A New York City detective at Altanont was a long way off his beat. The expression on the cops faces said they didn't like this scene at all, but they're not scared, just sorrowful eyed men who know trouble and know they are in the mist of allot of people asking for it. Against the stage, in the center of the crowd, a black cop with a mustache watched, his expression mournful, his white canvas golf-hat brim pulled down as if he were in a downpour.

This black cop would be a priceless interview, or any of his fellow co-workers, dubbed by Booth "The New York Heavies"
But the question is, can Swiss pull this off?

Date: December 16, 2014 09:09

slakka
[i1256.photobucket.com]
There were eager-eyed boys and girls down front, Angels all round, tour guides trying to maintain positions between the Angels and the Stones. A New York City detective at Altanont was a long way off his beat. The expression on the cops faces said they didn't like this scene at all, but they're not scared, just sorrowful eyed men who know trouble and know they are in the mist of allot of people asking for it. Against the stage, in the center of the crowd, a black cop with a mustache watched, his expression mournful, his white canvas golf-hat brim pulled down as if he were in a downpour.

This black cop would be a priceless interview, or any of his fellow co-workers, dubbed by Booth "The New York Heavies"

Where's the black cop?

And, sure I can -- if I get funded, frankly. Beyond that, of course I can. If anyone can, it's me.

- swiss

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 16, 2014 11:16

swiss
slakka
[i1256.photobucket.com]

Where's the black cop?

And, sure I can -- if I get funded, frankly. Beyond that, of course I can. If anyone can, it's me.

- swiss

Slakka is quoting Stanley Booth there, right? I swear sometimes I think I have his book memorized.
Right in the center of the photo Slakka linked to is a black man with a moustache in a white hat.
Until further notice I reckon that's who's being referred to as "the black cop".

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 16, 2014 11:34

Right in the centre of the photo Slakka linked to is a black man with a moustache in a white hat.

........... I always reckon that guy looks like Richard Pryor !!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 16, 2014 13:08

with sssoul
swiss
Where's the black cop?

- swiss

Slakka is quoting Stanley Booth there, right? I swear sometimes I think I have his book memorized.
Right in the center of the photo Slakka linked to is a black man with a moustache in a white hat.
Until further notice I reckon that's who's being referred to as "the black cop".

Oh man was I undercaffeinated when I wrote that - Slakka mentions Stanley Booth doesn't s/he.
And if Swiss meant "where are the so-called New York cops who were at Altamont to be found now",
I (obviously!) have no idea. Wouldn't the investigators of Meredith Hunter's death have made notes of their names/affiliations?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-16 13:09 by with sssoul.

Date: December 16, 2014 13:36

with sssoul
swiss
slakka
[i1256.photobucket.com]

Where's the black cop?

- swiss

You are correct mister chan! Heads up now swiss!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 10, 2015 00:37

In this article Grace Slick says her and Paul Kantner talked Mick into the whole Hell's Angels security idea when the went to England to talk with Mick Jagger. If her memory is correct this sounds like the seed which grew into the thorn bush.

Swiss, this would obviously be a GREAT source for your upcoming documentary...hope you can get a few words with her, sounds like she was in the center of the idea stage anyway.

[www.rollingstone.com]

peace

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: March 10, 2015 04:05

Yeah they stayed and played alright but they should have gone on much earlier to avoid most of the nastiness.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: March 10, 2015 10:21

bmuseed

My book includes the 1965 US tour, 1966 US tour, 1969 US tour, Altamont, 1970 Euro tour and Gimme Shelter, as well as my time with the Beatles, Sam Cooke, and many others. Besides the personalities, it deals specifically with the business of the '69 tour, 1970 Euro Tour and the producing of Gimme Shelter!

Hi Ron;
I have a few questions I hope you don't mind answering for me.

1. Do you have a release date for your book. I can't wait to read it, from what you have said it should be a fantastic read.

2, You say you are including the 1970 Euro Tour in your book? That tour started after the Stones contract with Decca ended which also made it possible for Mick Taylor to now become an official member of the Stones. I thought that the Stones and ABKCO's relationship was starting to dissolved by then? If so how much involvement did they/you have with that tour?

3. I have about 20-30 min of pro shot footage..B/W.. (got it back in 1976) from a 1970 show from Germany (It is now in storage and I don't recall what city the show was from, my film has no audio, the audio was on a seprate mag track which the guy never sent?) Do you recall what shows/cities that the Stones had hire a crew to come in to film them on this 1970 Euro tour?

4. I always thought Haskel Wexler's mother was the reason the site at Altamont was changed at the very last minute. That's because she owned the site where they had first set up the stage and she wanted a percentage of the movie when it was released if they were going to film there, Is that correct??

side note??
Haskel I believe was the Stones first choice to make the film before the Maysles. It was Haskel who was the one who suggested that the Stones hire the Maysles to do the film; when Haskel at the last minute could not agree with the Stones about the filming.

Thank you,
VJ

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 10, 2015 17:29

Btw. whats a bit odd reg. the Angels and what kinda reflects the spirit of the times: even after Altamont - on some 70 and 73 Europeann dates H. Angels or other gangs were doing security - for the Stones and other acts as well. Mostly hired by the local promoters.
But the whole bussiness was completly different then.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 10, 2015 17:46

As Treaclefingers revealed, Altamont was better than Woodstock for the Stones.

Posted by: moonlightaffair ()
Date: March 10, 2015 17:52

CousinC
Btw. whats a bit odd reg. the Angels and what kinda reflects the spirit of the times: even after Altamont - on some 70 and 73 Europeann dates H. Angels or other gangs were doing security - for the Stones and other acts as well. Mostly hired by the local promoters.
But the whole bussiness was completly different then.

Didn't know that. Crazy.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 3, 2016 23:26

Perhaps it ultimately came down to a clash of the Stones fans present at the time (who were more aggressive than say a Grateful Dead fan) and the Hell's Angels. Maybe the Angels simply weren't prepared for that (combined with their perceived responsibility of 'stage security.'). I take into account that the Angels were doing this before the Stones came on the stage, but no one was killed by them till the Stones came on. It's all in Stanley Booth's book.

I'm not excusing the Hell's Angels behavior in responding in this role, by the way.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-03 23:33 by nightskyman.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2102
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home