Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Post Stones Age What's Your Plan?
Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: November 25, 2014 17:31

As we slowly edge towards the end what's your plan? How will you adapt to the world where the Stones are no longer an active entity?

Personally I've got it sorted. I said my goodbyes at the O2 in November 2012 and I genuinely don't believe there will be another new album (but happy to be proved wrong). I guess I am already there. From now on I will enjoy whatever comes my way. It's been a great ride.

Re: Post Stones Age What's Your Plan?
Date: November 25, 2014 18:00

Dig up new bootlegs and embrace all the official releases that will come out.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: November 25, 2014 20:15

My plan is to live and to move on...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 25, 2014 20:45

I'll FINALLY be able to bill my band as the Greatest Rock & Roll Band in the world. winking smiley Sooo tired of having to refer to ourselves as the 2nd greatest for all these years. smileys with beer

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 25, 2014 21:12

mr_dja
I'll FINALLY be able to bill my band as the Greatest Rock & Roll Band in the world. winking smiley Sooo tired of having to refer to ourselves as the 2nd greatest for all these years. smileys with beer

I'm sure the market for Stones tribute bands will rise a bit. It seems the Stones have kinda become a tribute band to themselves since 2005 or so. winking smiley peace

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 25, 2014 21:13

DandelionPowderman

Yup I hope the official retirement announcement will prompt hoarders to liberate the tapes they had been sitting on.

Date: November 25, 2014 21:32

Naturalust
mr_dja

I'm sure the market for Stones tribute bands will rise a bit. It seems the Stones have kinda become a tribute band to themselves since 2005 or so. winking smiley peace

We're not a Stones tribute band... I just want to use the title.

I don't know that I could bring myself to be a part of a Stones tribute band... I've got way to much appreciation for the way THEY play their songs to be part of an "official" watered down version. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against tribute bands (and actually enjoy some of them), I just wouldn't want to be a part of one. Playing a couple of Stones covers a night with my band is enough to keep me happy. Although, if my current guitar player doesn't stop playing the full, six-string open G chord as his intro to "Honky Tonk Women", we're going to lower the number of Stones tunes on the list by one as it's DRIVING ME CRAZY angry smiley

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: November 25, 2014 21:56

mr_dja
smiling smiley
Naturalust
mr_dja

We're not a Stones tribute band... I just want to use the title.

I don't know that I could bring myself to be a part of a Stones tribute band... I've got way to much appreciation for the way THEY play their songs to be part of an "official" watered down version. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against tribute bands (and actually enjoy some of them), I just wouldn't want to be a part of one. Playing a couple of Stones covers a night with my band is enough to keep me happy. Although, if my current guitar player doesn't stop playing the full, six-string open G chord as his intro to "Honky Tonk Women", we're going to lower the number of Stones tunes on the list by one as it's DRIVING ME CRAZY angry smiley

Well as long as ya got the cowbell goin'...... peace

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 25, 2014 22:07

I wonder if, when playing Stones songs, guitar players even bother with open G, when covering 'Brown Sugar' or "HTW'..or 'Start Me Up', or the many others that might be played more Stones-like if that tuning was used..

the guitar players in the bands I've played in never bothered with it..or any other open tuning for that matter..

and we did a fair amount of HTWs, Tumbling Dices, Brown Sugars..

Date: November 25, 2014 22:34

duke richardson
I wonder if, when playing Stones songs, guitar players even bother with open G, when covering 'Brown Sugar' or "HTW'..or 'Start Me Up', or the many others that might be played more Stones-like if that tuning was used..

the guitar players in the bands I've played in never bothered with it..or any other open tuning for that matter..

I'd say most don't bother with open g tuning. At least not in my experience. It's not the open g tuning that I miss it's the chord voicing. Many of my buddies either play the G power chord which get's them the G-D-G voicing from the open g tuning or they'll just grab the open D & G strings and ignore the low G note all together. For me, it's hearing that low B note that occurs in the open voiced G chord that ruins it for me. Don't know why, but, to my ears, it makes it too nice. Or smooth. On a standard tuned guitar G-D-G, G-D-G-B, or even just D-G or D-G-B is fine to my ears, hearing G-B-D-G-B-G is like fingernails on a chalk board to my ears for some reason .

Date: November 25, 2014 22:38

duke richardson

I always keep a guitar in open tuning for certain tunes although I must admit I don't play any of the Stones open G stuff. Just Let it Loose and Dead Flowers, both in standard tuning. I use open tuning for slide work alot, no matter the song.

I have played with Gibson prototypes which have processing built in to allow instant tuning changes at the touch of a button. They are very cool and I can see players of the future using them to great advantage. I do however like the change in string tension resulting from open tuning. Guitars that use DSP to get the tuning changes don't provide that, although some that actually turn the tuning pegs do. peace

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 25, 2014 22:44

dcba
DandelionPowderman

Yup I hope the official retirement announcement will prompt hoarders to liberate the tapes they had been sitting on.

Wait, what? My ears were starting to adjust to all the crappy audience recordings out there…lol Honestly your comments reminded me of a Grateful Dead board I was a part of some time ago. Never expected it here…haha

Posted by: AussieMark ()
Date: November 26, 2014 00:15

I saw them on this tour, so I'll die happy. In the meantime, I'll keep enjoying playing their music live and getting paid to do so, in our Stones tribute band.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 26, 2014 00:25

Maindefender
dcba
DandelionPowderman

Wait, what? My ears were starting to adjust to all the crappy audience recordings out there…lol Honestly your comments reminded me of a Grateful Dead board I was a part of some time ago. Never expected it here…haha

Yup, I have 160 Stones albums (official+bootleg) on my ipod and not a one is a crappy audience recording. Each to their own but for me it's more than enough if they stopped today. But I'd still love a new album, and/or tour, and look forward to the next Archive release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-26 02:13 by shadooby.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 26, 2014 00:27

My plan...........PLAY Beggars, Bleed and Ya Ya's ...then Sticky and Exil in one row ...and then go on the Streets of Love........ searching for the Stray Cat Blues.............

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 26, 2014 00:42

Plan!!! .... never used one

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 26, 2014 05:03

Started to post some gibberish about spending the time seeing any of them who still perform solo or with others for some time to come , (Ronnie, etc.) and then realized I can't even go there yet...

Long Live The Rolling Stones
See y'all at the next round of shows!!

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: November 26, 2014 05:13

The same thing as I do now.

Not to be sarcastic... but I haven't seen them in 2 years, so it's not like I'm really going to miss the regularity of going to the shows. Most of my other favorite bands have split, so it'll just be more of the same (though on a far more monumental level) - you just move on and look back on all the great shows you saw.

While I dig Bang and the Grrr... tracks, I can't say I've listened to them in the last year.

I catch up on setlists in bunches, as there's usually just maybe 2 wildcards per show.

I'll watch the DVDs, read the books, peruse the message boards, and listen to the albums and boots regularly, as I've been doing since I was 9 years old.

I'll miss knowing that they're out there but my own Stones-related life won't really change at all.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 26, 2014 10:20

For me it's exactly as JuanTCB described it.

Also, like Dandelion, if I outlive the Stones, I will hopefully get the opportunity to enjoy some great archival releases. Who knows, maybe some record company will re-do it all in a much more ambitious fashion than Jagger would -- more like the Dylan bootleg series or something.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 26, 2014 15:18

will buy the official releases, who knows they might even release concert dvd,s that actually play on british made dvd players, i live in hope. will continue to dig up as much recordings as i can, search the web for info and footage, and continue to set up my own stones concert, where i choose the setlists and number of songs per gig.

Posted by: z ()
Date: November 26, 2014 15:30

To work on my time machine.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: November 26, 2014 15:54

I caught them in Abu Dhabi (stage too damn high) and Singapore (right up front, as good as it gets) so I guess I'll die happy. I really want to see them in Argentina as those audiences really seem....crazy!!! It would be a hoot. Anyway, I'm the eternal optimist. They will return next year. smoking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 26, 2014 17:00

they're working on a cure for 'old age' as we speak.

Pretty soon Mick and Keith are going to start looking younger than us.

I have no post stones age plan as there will be no post stones age...only past, present and future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-26 20:46 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 26, 2014 23:23

I'm gonna sit on the front porch, take a hit on some corn squeezin's every now and then, see who comes around to say hey and continue pretending that I actually know something about playing a guitar. Maybe the misses will bring me a bite to eat once in awhile and check to see if I'm still breathin'.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 27, 2014 04:56

MrThompsonWooft
How will you adapt to the world where the Stones are no longer an active entity?

I don't have to. Too used to them not being an active entity.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 27, 2014 09:35

GasLightStreet
MrThompsonWooft
How will you adapt to the world where the Stones are no longer an active entity?

I don't have to. Too used to them not being an active entity.

damn, that was almost too easy.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: November 27, 2014 20:15

buttons67
will buy the official releases, who knows they might even release concert dvd,s that actually play on british made dvd players, i live in hope.

Sorry to go off topic. But are there any British made DVD players?

My plan is to give my (currently unborn) child, maximum exposure to the Stones music (Already played Exile to the 'bump'!) and then make them awestruck and jealous by listening to my hazy recollections of the many Stones experiences I've had. Pass it on!

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: November 27, 2014 20:46

Go to shows by Bernard, Lisa, Tim, Darryl, Chuck!

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 28, 2014 16:43

Seriously? I will continue to enjoy their back catalogue as always, and focus more on current bands I like, such as Nightwish and Within Temptation.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 28, 2014 17:07

I might be gone before they are

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1689
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home