Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 14
Re: have Mick and Keith become friends again?
Posted by: EJM ()
Date: November 25, 2014 19:28

I wonder if the fact that Keith's playing has improved, particularly since the start of the European leg, has made a difference. An OOC duel might have been out of the question a year or so ago and the number of nights where keith has been unfocused and "under the weather" seem to have diminished significantly.

If Mick feels he can rely more on Keith delivering some of his old panache, the camaraderie on stage grows. You see the old love affair between keith and his guitar beginning to emerge again which must affect the rest of the band in a good way.

Ps (The trouble with fans is we are so romantic - see what we want to - and long may it last I say )

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 25, 2014 20:39

Of course they are friends, with all they've been through it's impossible not to be. The impression that they have both become more tolerant of each other is probably genuine and nice to witness.

Obviously they aren't best friends like they were decades ago. I doubt they even went out and had a beer or a meal together the entire time down under. Mick and Keith are getting old and obviously set it their ways, harder to change their social habits now. But they obviously need each other and are tight as brothers where Stones stuff is concerned.

A more interesting question to me is "Does Mick really have many (any) close male friends?" peace

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: November 25, 2014 20:47

Naturalust
Of course they are friends, with all they've been through it's impossible not to be. The impression that they have both become more tolerant of each other is probably genuine and nice to witness.

Obviously they aren't best friends like they were decades ago. I doubt they even went out and had a beer or a meal together the entire time down under. Mick and Keith are getting old and obviously set it their ways, harder to change their social habits now. But they obviously need each other and are tight as brothers where Stones stuff is concerned.

A more interesting question to me is "Does Mick really have many (any) close male friends?" peace
when do you think was the last time they had dinner together or a drink?

Mick laughs when he is asked about the brother thing. he says he has a brother. keith is his partner.

i certainly agree with you that they have become very tolerant of each other. it's a good word you chose and I think exactly correct. But friends do not tolerate each other, they actually like being together.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 25, 2014 20:57

Rokyfan
Naturalust

Mick laughs when he is asked about the brother thing. he says he has a brother. keith is his partner.

i certainly agree with you that they have become very tolerant of each other. it's a good word you chose and I think exactly correct. But friends do not tolerate each other, they actually like being together.

Jagger said once in an interview that "Keith was born my brother by different parents."

Posted by: bathsheba ()
Date: November 25, 2014 21:02

I'm not embarrassed to say that along with the sublime music (of course) I do get a delicious thrill when I see "interaction" between the glimmers. It's very hard to explain, this frisson.

It's a feeling of intense pleasure! It's the mystery of it, the longevity, the things said and unsaid, their beginnings, their evolution on the long mad road, the mutual love affair with creating the music. There's a whiff of sex there too. (sorry if I'm not allowed to say that? am fairly new but have read all the guidelines...)

To me it doesn't matter in reality whether they are pals or not offstage. The Keith/Mick thing is all part of their allure in performance.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 25, 2014 21:04

Rokyfan
Naturalust

Well it appears they actually like being together on stage, that's a pretty good sign of friendship. We all have friends where our interaction is focused around a specific activity, surfing, playing music, work, sex, whatever.......that doesn't make them any less a friend. peace

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: November 25, 2014 21:10

In a way they are brothers. Stones brothers or brothers in music. Mick has a lot of male friends he's close with; in a way he's more open compared to Keith.
And on stage...they share many many memories so it's normal once in a while they have something going on betweem them and share a few laughs. And they're pro's so... But yes it's business most of the time. And after certain things being said the business is rather tough for a while...which we can notice in stage behaviour of course. It's better now when you compare with 2012/2013.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 25, 2014 21:30

yes

Posted by: razorback9200 ()
Date: November 25, 2014 22:58

Friends ? Not friends ? Who gives a @#$%& ? I just need some good music from them....and I must admit that since the mid/late eighties it becomes harder and harder to find it. Still like them because I can't spit on the guys who wrote/composed "Gimme Shelter"......even if "doom and gloom" sucks and if "one more shot" sucks even more.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 25, 2014 23:05

The thing is: I cannot see their relationship deteriorating a la Helm and Robertson, or even the eternally regretful McCartney concerning Lennon. Lightning has struck twice re: McCartney as apparently Denny Laine cannot stand him.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: November 25, 2014 23:15

they love and hate each other since the beginning. They were always friends, maybe not always the best friends.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 25, 2014 23:21

tomcasagranda
The thing is: I cannot see their relationship deteriorating a la Helm and Robertson, or even the eternally regretful McCartney concerning Lennon. Lightning has struck twice re: McCartney as apparently Denny Laine cannot stand him.

good ones to point to, unfair financial dealing in the one case and pure bitchiness in the other..

the Mick and Keith friendship seems to transcend even worse bitchiness, and they probably end up laughing about it..

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 25, 2014 23:23

and they probably end up laughing about it..YEP!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 25, 2014 23:29

No.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 25, 2014 23:38

Not to be morbid, but when you or your buddy loses a romantic mate—through a breakup or otherwise—suddenly buddies can become more your buddies. Keith's comment, "Mick's always been my soul brother" made me think of that.

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: November 26, 2014 00:00

razorback9200
Friends ? Not friends ? Who gives a @#$%& ? I just need some good music from them....and I must admit that since the mid/late eighties it becomes harder and harder to find it. Still like them because I can't spit on the guys who wrote/composed "Gimme Shelter"......even if "doom and gloom" sucks and if "one more shot" sucks even more.

Agree with you about "Gimme Shelter" ! The ultimate track they ever recorded !

"One More Shit In the Doorway" is a great song,too.

Posted by: GracelessLady23 ()
Date: November 26, 2014 00:13

bathsheba
I'm not embarrassed to say that along with the sublime music (of course) I do get a delicious thrill when I see "interaction" between the glimmers. It's very hard to explain, this frisson.

It's a feeling of intense pleasure! It's the mystery of it, the longevity, the things said and unsaid, their beginnings, their evolution on the long mad road, the mutual love affair with creating the music. There's a whiff of sex there too. (sorry if I'm not allowed to say that? am fairly new but have read all the guidelines...)

To me it doesn't matter in reality whether they are pals or not offstage. The Keith/Mick thing is all part of their allure in performance.

I absolutely agree. The fact that they are still able to play together when so many great bands have disbanded is a mystery and an absolute pleasure to watch. That was why OOC was an absolute highlight this tour! I was just so special to see Mick and Keith's interaction, the air around them seemed to crackle with electricity when they focused on each other and played together. To me their relationship whether it only be musical or not will also be a very important part of the chemistry that makes the Stones so great and so unique.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 26, 2014 00:22

duke richardson
tomcasagranda

good ones to point to, unfair financial dealing in the one case and pure bitchiness in the other..

the Mick and Keith friendship seems to transcend even worse bitchiness, and they probably end up laughing about it..

Thank you. The Helm / Robertson relationship made me very upset, and very angry with both parties; it just seemed so pointless, as both parties were more than capable of making quality music.

Lennon / McCartney had moments of awfulness in their solo careers, which would probably have happened if the Beatles stayed together post 1970.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 26, 2014 01:03

And Keith & Patti attended the service for L'Wren. If they hated each other, Mick would not have let him into the Church....I think things are much better between them, even last summer, it seemed there were a lot of joyful moments that they shared. The joy comes across in their music...huge win for us fans!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 26, 2014 01:58

We don't really know, do we? I would guess that now they are business partners/colleagues first and friends second, while for the first two decades it was the opposite, but I don't know either.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 26, 2014 02:03

Awe...ain't they cuuuuuuuuute?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 26, 2014 02:04

shadooby

Awe...ain't they cuuuuuuuuute?

... and cuddly!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 26, 2014 02:39

GracelessLady23
bathsheba

I absolutely agree. The fact that they are still able to play together when so many great bands have disbanded is a mystery and an absolute pleasure to watch. That was why OOC was an absolute highlight this tour! I was just so special to see Mick and Keith's interaction, the air around them seemed to crackle with electricity when they focused on each other and played together. To me their relationship whether it only be musical or not will also be a very important part of the chemistry that makes the Stones so great and so unique.

As much as I love the Stones, I don't care much one way or another about their interaction on stage.
And also not sure I care very much about the current state of what's likely always been a complex
and mercurial relationship off-stage. I can see how it could be an interesting topic, but it holds no
charge for me.

-swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-26 07:54 by swiss.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: November 26, 2014 05:06

Who cares. Whatever we see on stage orin interviews is an act so you can't judge from that. They kept the act of not liking each other going for much longer then was probably the case because it's good publicity.
Why wouldn't they not be friends is probably a better question. If you check out Darryls, Lisa and Bernards facebook or twitter pages you really get the idea that everybody likes each other a lot on tour. Why would you go on tour with people if you don't get along and only do it because you like it?!?!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 26, 2014 05:07

They are certainly "friends".
All of them.

But these days, in terms of hanging out before/after shows,..dining together etc.
It seems to me that Charlie and Mick are close friends as are Ronnie and Keith...

Posted by: PaintitBlue ()
Date: November 26, 2014 06:40

Contrived...all of it. I am sure they laugh about it over beers every now and then...probably reading the board as we speak and Keith saying..."well Mick ol mate...seems we are getting a little too cozy again time to fire up another public spat...maybe you should leak to the press that you have always had a fancy for patti"

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: November 26, 2014 09:15

MisterDDDD
They are certainly "friends".
All of them.

But these days, in terms of hanging out before/after shows,..dining together etc.
It seems to me that Charlie and Mick are close friends as are Ronnie and Keith...

What has happenned to the tuning room ? Keith and ronnie seem to tune up on their own these days

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 26, 2014 09:24

I only wish they had been better friends during the 80s and 90s. Then we would have seen more and better records and maybe even a few hit songs. Now, it doesn't matter. They are passed zenit.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 26, 2014 10:14

Nothing to add really but yeah, as fans it seems we like to see them interact for some reason, like our parents when we were kids perhaps? At the Trabendo Keith grabbed Mick by the shoulder after a couple of tunes and several people to my right said "that's what we wanna see"...Mick seemed a bit uneasy and kind of dunked and moved away pretty quickly. That was then though and a few things have happened since, like 60 shows, deaths, illness, etc...they all seem a lot happier on stage now than they did at the 02.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 26, 2014 10:38

Stoneage
Sure BV, on stage. Off stage they are separate parties. Hence the term business relationship. Nothing wrong with that though.
But it doesn't renew their song catalogue in the same way it used to do. On the other hand they are to old now anyway.

Tell that to Leonard Cohen. winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1514
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home