Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Charlie "retiring" Watts?
Posted by: varilla ()
Date: November 24, 2014 19:58

I aknowledge that in one of the recent shows Mick presented Charlie as "retiring Watts". What did he meant? Is Charlie retiring?
Reminded me when Mick presented Ronnie as Ronnie "wedding bells" Wood in 2012 before we even know he was getting married.
Can this be the case with Charlie ?
Maybe Charlie announced this to his fellow Stones in Australia and Mick gave us a glimpse of it....

Re: Charlie "retiring" Watts?
Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 24, 2014 20:10

He's always been "retiring Watts", no?!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 24, 2014 20:15

I've noticed that too .... hopefully it means only that Charlie quits the Rolling Stones - like every Tour since 1972 (and immediately re-joins when he's needed). smiling smiley

Maybe a allusion to this: [www.iorr.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-24 20:25 by Irix.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 24, 2014 20:39

Hopefully it was a joke coming from that 2010 Australian report...as Irix alluded to.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: November 24, 2014 20:41

Retiring can also mean " quiet and shy " winking smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 24, 2014 20:48

re·tir·ing
Adjective
Shy and fond of being on one's own.
"a retiring, acquiescent woman"
synonyms: shy, diffident, self-effacing, unassuming, unassertive, reserved, reticent, quiet, timid, modest, unpresuming

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 24, 2014 21:00

thumbs up Thanks for the explanations Lien and Deltics.

It's not always clear for us non-native English-speakers what's exactly meant ....

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 24, 2014 22:48

I bet Mick was referring to that Paul Cashmere guy who was saying this in 2006 and still insisted on it in 2009. [www.iorr.org]

Who's still rockin' with the Stones in 2014? ha!

of course one day he'll tell us - "See, I told you so"
just like a broken clock that's right twice a day

... but I hope that's very far away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-24 22:55 by open-g.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 24, 2014 22:50

Oh, if there's any media with Mick saying this, please post it here.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: November 24, 2014 23:22

What this means is Charlie is always saying he would like to retire and be done with the Rolling Stones. But each tour Mick and others convince him to do it one more time. And he does. Mostly out of a sense of honor, duty and obligation in my opinion. But he enjoys it up on stage and the hit and run touring they do gets him out of the house. Plus he likes taking along his edgily clad grand daughter. She is a sight sometimes. She makes going on the road more tolerable for him.

There is a host of employees who get paid nicely when the Stones tour. Charlie does it one more time for them too. Stones are like the Mafia. You only leave feet first.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-24 23:25 by triceratops.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 25, 2014 00:48

If anything happened to Charlie its the end of The Rolling Stones...oh, they could still perform for sure but it will just be the "Jagger-Richards Band"!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 25, 2014 01:01

More likely Mick meant "retiring" as in "shy."

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 25, 2014 01:03

With the current tour set-up, I don't think Charlie minds playing one or two months every now and then. I think he enjoys it. As long as his arms / hands are in good shape and without too much pain in the end of the show, he will continue.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 25, 2014 02:08

scottkeef
If anything happened to Charlie its the end of The Rolling Stones...oh, they could still perform for sure but it will just be the "Jagger-Richards Band"!

Not forgetting WOOD, ay wot?

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 25, 2014 02:14

stonesrule
More likely Mick meant "retiring" as in "shy."

Especially as he said it after apparently having to drag a reluctant Charlie out for a second bow.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: November 25, 2014 02:57

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-25 03:00 by Carnaby.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 25, 2014 03:16

Beast
scottkeef

Not forgetting WOOD, ay wot?

As much as I love Ron I don't put him in the same category as Charlie and don't see them calling it the "Jagger-Richards-Wood Band" any more than they would call it the "Jagger-Richards-Taylor Band"...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-25 03:16 by scottkeef.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: November 25, 2014 22:36

When Charlie quit The Rolling Stones, then they are a trio and can move on with a tourdrummer. Bill came before Charlie to the Stones, so I think the band could work also without Charlie.

So long Mick & Keith are a part of the Stones, I'll go to their shows.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 25, 2014 22:43

Ladykiller
When Charlie quit The Rolling Stones, then they are a trio and can move on with a tourdrummer. Bill came before Charlie to the Stones, so I think the band could work also without Charlie.

Don't expect that to ever happen, when Charlies out, Keith and Mick wouldn't dare tour as the Stones. Nor will they ever tour as Jagger Richards band or similar. Unlike AC/DC, the drummer in the Stones is as important as the air they breath on stage. Charlie is the Stones to me and many more. peace

Date: November 25, 2014 23:13

Naturalust
Ladykiller

Don't expect that to ever happen, when Charlies out, Keith and Mick wouldn't dare tour as the Stones. Nor will they ever tour as Jagger Richards band or similar. Unlike AC/DC, the drummer in the Stones is as important as the air they breath on stage. Charlie is the Stones to me and many more. peace

The songs are composed by The Glimmer Twins, so they must be a part of the band. Charlie is for me the same precious member like Bill was. They can continue the story without him.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 25, 2014 23:19

varilla
I aknowledge that in one of the recent shows Mick presented Charlie as "retiring Watts". What did he meant? Is Charlie retiring?
Reminded me when Mick presented Ronnie as Ronnie "wedding bells" Wood in 2012 before we even know he was getting married.
Can this be the case with Charlie ?
Maybe Charlie announced this to his fellow Stones in Australia and Mick gave us a glimpse of it....

What did he meant?

I think that this retiring thing is coming from.........The quote Charlie always say when Mick ask him ...Charlie what about touring again....and Charlie says No No No I'm retiring.......................Ok..... well The last Time then

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 26, 2014 00:38

Ladykiller
Naturalust
Ladykiller

The songs are composed by The Glimmer Twins, so they must be a part of the band. Charlie is for me the same precious member like Bill was. They can continue the story without him.

But they won't. Way too much respect for Charlie. peace

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 26, 2014 00:52

Charlie WILL be the first band member to really retire, if it ends that way.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 26, 2014 01:29

mickschix
Charlie WILL be the first band member to really retire, if it ends that way.

He is already retired.............wander what he get per month.........

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 26, 2014 02:22

Re-tire? Hey man, we've all been there and done that.

Date: November 26, 2014 15:15

Naturalust
Ladykiller
Naturalust
Ladykiller

When Charlie give the rest his belessing for going on without him, then they will go on for sure!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 26, 2014 17:39

Actually according to Shirley Watts, her husband is at a bit of a lose end when at home.. I wonder if its another Stones myth all that about him hating touring.
IF and when the Stones call it quits I could easily see Charlie folowing Bills example and doing smaller venues and putting out occasional records.
Its been said on this forum before, but ironically i think both Bill and Charlie will be the more active musicians than the Glimmers in the years ahead, health permitting of course.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 26, 2014 17:58

Ladykiller
Naturalust
Ladykiller
Naturalust
Ladykiller

When Charlie give the rest his belessing for going on without him, then they will go on for sure!

for sure?

maybe playing somewhere as something but not as the Rolling Stones, without Charlie..

Date: November 26, 2014 23:36

duke richardson
Ladykiller
Naturalust
Ladykiller
Naturalust
Ladykiller

for sure?

maybe playing somewhere as something but not as the Rolling Stones, without Charlie..

Yes! For sure, I think so!

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 27, 2014 00:12

Charles Robert Watts thumbs up No ROLLING STONES without Charlie! Retired is his way of living all his life (this is just him...), but will go down in history as a part of The Greatest Rock N Roll Band The World Has Ever Seen....and The World should be gratefull for that! Charie......watching Mick's bum for 50 and Couting Years to keep in time and 10 years of playing and 50+ years hanging around....drinking smiley
Well done Charlie Watts!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1381
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home