Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Songs you're embarrassed to love
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 24, 2014 23:54

[www.youtube.com]

I forgot how much I like this one..

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 25, 2014 00:03

ryanpow
Age of Aquarius/Let The Sun Shine In

My boyfriend and I saw this very medley on PBS last night, and we were both smiling and teary - haha!

eye popping smileyRe: Songs you're embarrassed to love
Posted by: ventilatorblues ()
Date: November 25, 2014 00:04

stewedandkeefed
MMMBop by Hanson

It's a catchy song. When Hanson came to Melbourne they made an appearance at a local shopping centre, my then 14 year old daughter was smitten by them so I took her to see them.
Unfortunately they performed in the lower level car park, so, surrounded by screaming teenyboppers in a concrete cavern we couldn't hear a note they sang above the high pitched squeals.
My ears hurt so much I thought they'd bleed.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 25, 2014 00:14

I FEEL PRETTY from West Side Story.

Posted by: FeelTheFire ()
Date: November 25, 2014 00:19

Let's Work!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: November 25, 2014 00:25

You Got to Roll Me
So what are the songs you love listening to, but you would never admit.

I'd Have to say:
Silly Love Songs (love the harmony)
Dancing Queen
Hungry Heart/Waiting on a sunny day

Nothing to embarrassed about. All three are superb well-crafted pop-music with strong melodies and beautifully performed.

HearTheWindHowl
"It Must Have Been Love" - Certainly, I don't have to be embarrassed, it's one of the greatest pop songs I know!!

Love that song! Fantastic song. Roxette made some great songs.

Date: November 25, 2014 00:34

For years, I was embarrassed that I loved this song -- and then I realized 2 years ago, on the 1st anniversary
of an accident in which my car shot off a mountain road in the ice and snow, flipped twice and rolled down an
embankment, along with all kind of other sudden realizations of how immensely grateful I was to have lived, and
to be alive -- that this is a completely gorgeous and not at all silly song. And tho---at that time---I wasn't in
love with anyone, I did remember that feeling of "Sometimes all I need is the air that I breathe and to love you."
Before that 1st anniversary, for whatever reason (tho I liked the song) I had thought those words were histrionic
and obsessive. But in that moment, and ever since, I realize it's a very simple and honest proclamation. It's not
even saying you always feel that way...but sometimes. And it's literal. Utter contentment. The very basics of
breathing and this sense of palpable sustaining love. I guess that is the magic of good pop songs...they can
deliver profound truths with a light joyous touch.

- swiss

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 25, 2014 00:48

swiss
- swiss

Hey swiss!

I luv the first tunes
Hugs to you from France

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 25, 2014 00:59

Rockman
Nothing to be embarrassing about Lady Marmalade ....

Penned by Bob Crewe ... Produced by Allen Toussaint and
for a Stones connection features Nona Hendryx and Sarah Dash on backing vocals

Hey Rockee .....
U are right , nothing to be embarassed about

Babe ...voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: November 25, 2014 01:41

mr_dja
For the most part, I have no qualms or apologies for what is in my collection. However, a couple that I have downloaded "just because I like 'em" would be:
"The Rainbow Connection" from the Muppet Movie
"Somewhere Over The Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

Peace,
Mr DJA

Mr DJA!

You are on report! "Rainbow connection" is a classic! OK end of exclamation usage...cool smiley

For a bit of fun one nite I sang (with my band) "Rainbow connection" at the end of a three hour gig in a pretty rough place. We had the crowd conned into thinking we were great by midnite and a couple hundred beers each so did it for a laugh. They went nuts (no exclamation mark as promised that was it but imagine one there anyway).
All these hardboiled roughnecks were singing along and looking for the first times in their respective lives that they didn't want to knife somebody just because they didn't compliment the shine of their freshly cleaned Harley.

Ok so I'll shut up now smoking smiley

The only song I'm funny about liking and admitting to for the most part is that 80s track "Don't forget me when I'm gone". Dunno who does it. I also like "Streets of love". That doesn't count as a song to be embarrassed by though as it's the Stones.
So.
There.

Date: November 25, 2014 01:47

LuxuryStones
The Some Girls album and onwards at that time. But when it comes to songwriting and craftsmanship I liked ABBA more already.

this is a very weird statement.....Some girls is an amazing album with 2 #1 hits....its the most diverse album ever, with the exception of maybe the white album. Disco, country, punk, soul, blues, new age. Some girls is a masterpiece.

.....keep on rolling.....

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 25, 2014 01:49

swiss
ryanpow
Age of Aquarius/Let The Sun Shine In

My boyfriend and I saw this very medley on PBS last night, and we were both smiling and teary - haha!

Hah... It is a moving piece of music, especially the second half.

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: November 25, 2014 04:29

The Sweet-peppermint twist and ballroom blitz

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 25, 2014 04:48

I have a Partridge Family greatest hits CD that I know all the words to every song to.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 25, 2014 05:17

Hairball
Just the tip of the iceberg....

Baby Come Back - Player
How Deep Is Your Love - The Bee Gees
True - Spandau Ballet
Reminiscing - Little River Band
Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley
Don't Give Up On Us - David Soul

The first four on this list are great, GREAT songs! ANd I would add almost anything by.....Air Supply. Nice catchy tunes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-25 05:18 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: z ()
Date: November 25, 2014 07:27

You Got to Roll Me
So what are the songs you love listening to, but you would never admit.

Nice try Mr. Roll Me... I ain't telling.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 25, 2014 07:49

Title5Take1
I FEEL PRETTY from West Side Story.

Nothing wrong with anything from West Side Story.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 25, 2014 07:55

I have a Partridge Family greatest hits CD that I know all the words to every song to.

BIG DEAL ... The real test is... how good is your short term memory ?....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 25, 2014 08:24

treaclefingers

I Think I Love You! Heard this last month in the car and was surprised I too knew all the words

Date: November 25, 2014 08:25

SwayStones
Sympathy for the Devil

I know what you mean! Hope you're well, SwayStones smiling smiley

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 25, 2014 09:14

The Air that I Breathe is an awesome song Swiss! There is a lot of emotion in the song, which I love. Great sentiment in that song. Plus the Hollies are great, part of the foundation of the 1960s music scene.

The funny thing is that "being embarrassed" about a song is a relative thing. It implies some kind of cohesiveness, a kind of peeer pressure. You just gotta let go of the "60s-70s what's considered cool" peer pressure and be free! lol

Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In is another one, it absolutely rocks! If you are a fan of the Fifth Dimension, then they do a great rendition of Stoned Soul Picnic by the great Laura Nyro.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: November 25, 2014 10:00

I listed to all kinds of music, from rock and pop and folk and blues and country and opera and Greek music and Reggae and Hawaiian music and Latin American music etc. etc. but I would never be embarrassed to admit that I like a song even if it is most trivial and heartbreaking. Among my favourites there are many of these songs.

But on the other hand, recently I listened to the Sweet Virginia and Shine a light outtakes without the backing vocals recently for the first time and now I like them better than the originals! It's raw Stones at their best and shows what a great singer Mick Jagger actaully was. These great tracks from the Exile/GHS period should be released on an 'EP':

All down the line (acoustic)
Sweet Virginia (without background vocals)
Shine a light (without background vocals)
Through the lonely nights
Ventilator blues (live Vancouver 1972)
Torn and frayed (live Vancouver 1972)
Sweet black angel (live 1972)

What a great compilation!

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: November 25, 2014 10:47

And I was like, Baby, Baby, Baby, Oh.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 25, 2014 11:55

The Bonanza-Theme....but embarrassed...not a bit...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 25, 2014 12:18

If you are of a certain age the Bonanza theme is burned into your brain.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: November 25, 2014 13:00

Superstar by the Carpenters
Machine Gun by the Commodores
Sing by Travis

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: November 25, 2014 14:01

You Got to Roll Me
LuxuryStones
The Some Girls album and onwards at that time. But when it comes to songwriting and craftsmanship I liked ABBA more already.

this is a very weird statement.....Some girls is an amazing album with 2 #1 hits....its the most diverse album ever, with the exception of maybe the white album. Disco, country, punk, soul, blues, new age. Some girls is a masterpiece.

Not meant to be weird or to put the Stones down, but like you state: disco, country, punk, soul, blues, it's all there but at the time when It got released it gave me the feeling they wrote songs just to make songs. Neither of the genres are 100% convincing to me anymore. I enjoyed listening to that record a few times, but very soon got bored and that never changed. If you want to hear the mentioned genres, put on the artists that are specialized, and that includes the Stones themselves winking smiley Always stick to what you are really good at.

ABBA illustrates it: they were "deadly wrong" and sweet, but IMO they did it in a more professional and convincing way compared to SG, hence sold more records than the Stones ever did.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 25, 2014 14:37

MileHigh
If you are of a certain age the Bonanza theme is burned into your brain.

Yes, I'm in that certain age...

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: November 25, 2014 14:39

Talking of great theme tunes......

Joe 90!

[www.youtube.com]

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: November 25, 2014 15:03

SwayStones
Lady Marmelade

In French I would say , so dancy but not classy

Wont mind admitting I play the Patty LaBelle version but... when I used to listed to the CA/LK/P/M version I always made sure the volume at the earphones is really really low...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home