Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hi-Res Stones (HD FLAC, DSD)
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 21, 2014 22:05

This thread is about Stones music released in digital high resolution (including DSD).

Note 1 : 24-bit digital music is usually considered high resolution, whatever the sample rate (44.1k, 48k, 88.2k, 96k, 176.4k, 192k...)
CD (16-bit) or MP3 is not considered high resolution.

Note 2 : some of these titles have been also released on Blu-ray audio (usually featuring a 24bit/96kHz or 24bit/192kHz PCM stream) and on SACD (DSD stream).

Note 3 : to play correctly Hi-Res files from a PC or a laptop you will most likely need an external DAC (digital to analogue converter) as most soundcards can't play higher samples.

Stones Hi-Res digital downloads:

- 24bit/88.2kHz and 24bit/176.4kHz downloads:

The Rolling Stones EP
Five By Five EP
Got Live If You Want It! EP
The Rolling Stones
England's Newest Hit Makers
The Rolling Stones No. 2
The Rolling Stones, Now!
12 X 5
Out Of Our Heads (UK & US Versions)
December's Children (and Everybody's)
Aftermath (UK & US Versions)
Big Hits (UK & US Versions)
Got Live If You Want It!
Between The Buttons (UK & US Versions)
Flowers
Their Satanic Majesties Request
Beggars Banquet
Through The Past, Darkly (UK & US Versions)
Let It Bleed
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
Hot Rocks
More Hot Rocks
Metamorphosis
Singles Collection: The London Years

- 24bit/96kHz and 24bit/192kHz downloads:

Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out 40th Anniversary (2009)
Live 1965: Music From Charlie Is My Darling (2014)
The Rolling Stones in Mono (2016)

- 24bit/88.2kHz downloads:

Some Girls Deluxe (2011)
GRRR! (2012)
Blue and Lonesome (2016)

- 24bit/96kHz downloads at PonoMusic:

No Stone Unturned Vol. 1 (2013)
No Stone Unturned Vol. 2 (2013)

- 24bit/192bit downloads at e-onkyo music:

Let It Bleed (2002 remaster)
Beggars Banquet (2002 remaster)
Sticky Fingers (2011 remaster)
Exile On main St. (2011 remaster)
Goats Head Soup (2011 remaster)
Love You Live (2011 remaster)
Tattoo You (2011 remaster)

- DSD downloads:

Let It Bleed (2002 remaster) - only at Acoustic Sounds and Pro Studio Masters
The Rolling Stones in Mono (2016) - only on Acoustic Sounds

Other Stones related releases in Hi-Res:

Keith Richards - Crosseyed Heart (2015) (24bit/96kHz)
Charlie Watts - Charlie Watts Meets The Danish Radio Big Band (2017) (24bit/48kHz)
Mick Jagger - The Very Best of Mick Jagger (2015) (24bit/44.1kHz)
Mick Jagger - She's The Boss (2015) (24bit/44.1kHz)
Mick Jagger - Primitive Cool (2015) (24bit/44.1kHz)
Mick Jagger - Wandering Spirit (2015) (24bit/44.1kHz)
Mick Jagger - Goddess In The Doorway (2015) (24bit/44.1kHz)

Main Hi-Res downloads websites:

HDTracks (US)

HDTracks (UK)

HDTracks (Germany)

Qobuz (France)

Qobuz (UK)

Qobuz (Germany)

HighResAudio (Germany)

Acoustic Sounds (USA & Canada)

PonoMusic (USA) (currently not in service)

e-onkyo music (Japan)

Note : Qobuz has also sites for Austria, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, Ireland and Luxembourg

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-22 15:29 by kowalski.

Re: Stones New HD Downloads
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 21, 2014 22:22

thumbs up although 26€ for the 24bit Yaya is a bit too much (imo).

Date: November 21, 2014 22:34

dcba
thumbs up although 26€ for the 24bit Yaya is a bit too much (imo).

On HDTracks they have it for 75$... [www.findhdmusic.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 21, 2014 23:55

And I was naively thinking the psychological limit for this one would be 20€...
Silly me! grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 22, 2014 05:08

dcba
And I was naively thinking the psychological limit for this one would be 20€...
Silly me! grinning smiley

Well it would be very interesting to see how many downloads they're actually selling at $75.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 22, 2014 05:15

Is this legal?

Date: November 22, 2014 06:05

Koen
Is this legal?

What is legal ? The astronomical price of GYYYO HD download ?

Date: November 22, 2014 15:58

kowalski
Koen
Is this legal?

I agree, someone should be spending serious jail time for that.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 22, 2014 16:24

kowalski
I thought it could be a good idea to open a new thread about the recent Stones HD downloads made available in Europe to keep on track as it seems there are new ones poping up every day...

I get it that people want new Stones music, but no reason to keep spending on music you already own for the 15th time.

Date: November 22, 2014 17:07

LeonidP
kowalski
I thought it could be a good idea to open a new thread about the recent Stones HD downloads made available in Europe to keep on track as it seems there are new ones poping up every day...

I get it that people want new Stones music, but no reason to keep spending on music you already own for the 15th time.

Well, it's better audio quality than CD's. That's the main point in these HD downloads.
The only thing is they should sell much cheaper - as you mentioned it most of us already bought these albums many times...

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: November 22, 2014 17:23

You won't get better or more detailed sound for the sixties releases.
Both the UK and US discs are available + several oddities and live releases.
Great stuff.

Date: November 24, 2014 16:39

Blueranger
You won't get better or more detailed sound for the sixties releases.
Both the UK and US discs are available + several oddities and live releases.
Great stuff.

Blueranger, could you clarify?

As the thread is talking about HD downloads, what 60s discs are you specifically referring to? And what oddities and live releases?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 24, 2014 23:53

kowalski
Koen
Is this legal?

I guess I meant are these official releases?

Date: November 25, 2014 00:51

Koen
kowalski
Koen
Is this legal?

I guess I meant are these official releases?

Yes, they are all official releases. Either from ABKCO (for the 60's albums) or from Universal (for the post '71 catalog).

Date: November 25, 2014 11:38

New Stones HD downloads on Qobuz :

Live 1965: Music From Charlie Is My Darling (24/96 and 24/192)

Through The Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2) (24/88.2)

Flowers (24/88.2)

Aftermath - US (24/88.2)

The Rolling Stones EP (24/88.2)

Beggars Banquet (24/88.2)

12 x 5 (24/88.2)

Big Hits (High Tide And Green Grass) (24/88.2)

Same releases are also on HighResAudio : [www.highresaudio.com] (Germany only)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-25 11:49 by kowalski.

Date: December 1, 2014 17:44

Re: Stones HD digital downloads
Date: March 6, 2015 08:36

Added new downloads available at PonoMusic among others...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 6, 2015 16:25

Got to admit that these HD files do intrigue me, but I am not too sure that the technology is sufficiently mature to justify the investment necessary to upgrade my system.

As I see it, while "storage" is no longer an issue, the whole DAC phase seems a mess: complicated streaming networks, fancy (and very expensive) DACs that evolve every month, etc.

Remember SACDs?

They were so sexy and promising when they arrived on the market, and what's left now?

C

Date: March 7, 2015 01:19

liddas
Got to admit that these HD files do intrigue me, but I am not too sure that the technology is sufficiently mature to justify the investment necessary to upgrade my system.

As I see it, while "storage" is no longer an issue, the whole DAC phase seems a mess: complicated streaming networks, fancy (and very expensive) DACs that evolve every month, etc.

Remember SACDs?

They were so sexy and promising when they arrived on the market, and what's left now?

C

There are very good inexpensive DAC's. If you're new to Hi-fi computer world I would recommend to start with a USB DAC (really easy to use - just plug it and play your music). For example, Fiio DAC's are very good for their prices, but there are many other interesting choices like Cambridge DACMagic, Audioquest Dragonfly, Encore MDAC, iFi Nano, M2TECH HiFace...
Also be sure to use a player that can handle "bit perfect" streaming (Foobar, Audirvana, JRiver, JPlay...).

By the way SACD's are still around... smiling smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 7, 2015 09:25

kowalski

Yes ... see here: [www.iorr.org] .

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 7, 2015 09:57

That's really interesting that you can get an external USB 24-bit DAC. I suppose that you can upgrade your sound card to a 24-bit DAC?

The other thing, I have a 5-year-old Yamaha 7.1 surround amplifier. I wonder how many bits the internal DACs are. Sometimes they bury stuff like that and it's very hard to find out.

I am willing to bet a lot of people are purchasing HD audio files but they don't realize that their motherboard or sound card has 16-bit DACs.

Date: March 7, 2015 15:43

MileHigh
That's really interesting that you can get an external USB 24-bit DAC. I suppose that you can upgrade your sound card to a 24-bit DAC?

The other thing, I have a 5-year-old Yamaha 7.1 surround amplifier. I wonder how many bits the internal DACs are. Sometimes they bury stuff like that and it's very hard to find out.

I am willing to bet a lot of people are purchasing HD audio files but they don't realize that their motherboard or sound card has 16-bit DACs.

External USB DAC is the easiest way to play hi-res files from a personal computer.
If you use the correct software your music is sent directly to the DAC, bypassing computer's sound card.

Date: March 7, 2015 15:48

kowalski
MileHigh

External USB DAC is the easiest way to play hi-res files from a personal computer.
If you use the correct software your music is sent directly to the DAC, bypassing computer's sound card.

I guess in theory having it external also means that any time you upgrade your computer you still have the USB DAC you can plug in and not have to 'rebuy' that piece of the equipment...as long as the drivers work with whatever new operating system you get!

Date: March 7, 2015 16:00

treaclefingers
kowalski
MileHigh

I guess in theory having it external also means that any time you upgrade your computer you still have the USB DAC you can plug in and not have to 'rebuy' that piece of the equipment...as long as the drivers work with whatever new operating system you get!

Absolutely. Also it means you can play your hi-res files from any computer as long as you have your external DAC with you. That's why I prefer portable DAC's to bigger ones. Both Windows and Mac OS can handle an external DAC.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 9, 2015 12:51

kowalski
liddas

Remember SACDs?

C

There are very good inexpensive DAC's. If you're new to Hi-fi computer world I would recommend to start with a USB DAC (really easy to use - just plug it and play your music). For example, Fiio DAC's are very good for their prices, but there are many other interesting choices like Cambridge DACMagic, Audioquest Dragonfly, Encore MDAC, iFi Nano, M2TECH HiFace...
Also be sure to use a player that can handle "bit perfect" streaming (Foobar, Audirvana, JRiver, JPlay...).

Thank you Kowalski,

but do these USB DACs actually sound any good?

Meaning normal PC > USB DAC > cable > amp of a good traditional system, as opposed to a good traditional CD player feeding the same system (in my case a mix of naim and linn components, nothing stellar, but all in all good and rewarding)

C

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 9, 2015 14:00

liddas

[...] but do these USB DACs actually sound any good?

Meaning normal PC > USB DAC > cable > amp of a good traditional system, as opposed to a good traditional CD player feeding the same system (in my case a mix of naim and linn components, nothing stellar, but all in all good and rewarding)

Have a look in this case e.g. at the Naim DAC-V1 - he got a 86 percent rating and costs approx. 1700 EUR. The iFi DSD Nano for instance costs approx. 190 EUR and got a 73 percent rating as well as a EISA Award 2014. The percent-rating comes from the german HiFi magazine STEREO, they gave 100 percent e.g. to the DACs MBL1511F, MSB Platin DAC IV, Reimyo DAP-999EX or T+A MP3000HV.

Date: March 9, 2015 14:26

liddas
kowalski
liddas

Remember SACDs?

C

Thank you Kowalski,

but do these USB DACs actually sound any good?

C

A CD player has a DAC built inside. But modern USB DAC are really good, even those between 100$ and 200$.

Then sound quality for music played on a computer depends also on the software (ie can it handle bit-perfect streaming) and the source : if you play mp3 through a DAC it will most likely sound worse than a standard CD. That's why it's better to play CD-quality lossless formats or even better to play hi-res sources.

If you want to know more about some of the best DAC's available currently I recommend reading this blog : [www.audiostream.com]
You will find there most of the DAC's I've listed above and more.

Also I recommand reading Qobuz Hi-Fi blog, usually they provide very good advices : [www.qobuz.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-09 14:29 by kowalski.

Re: Hi-Res Stones (HD FLAC, DSD)
Date: April 22, 2017 02:40

Updated the thread with new releases (Blue and Lonesome, The Rolling Stones in Mono...)

Date: April 22, 2017 04:05

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 22, 2017 07:44

I'm a frequent customer at live.brucespringsteen.net.
You can get high resolution files like DSD.
I think DSD is an effective way to put forth energy of the live recordings.
Someday I hope the stones shall introduce this concept.

[live.brucespringsteen.net]

[brucehelp.nugs.net]-

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1966
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home