Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Dancing With Mr D Promo Clip
Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: November 20, 2014 11:19

lapaz62

A different Angie clip than I remember.

IMO the best version - and one of their best promos

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: November 20, 2014 12:11

71Tele
I never have seen a good explanation as to why they did Angie twice on Kirshner's show. The arrangements weren't any different, apart from a slight difference to Mick's vocal, and Mick Taylor pretending to play Nicky Hopkins' piano part.

I guess they did one promovideo with live vocals for Great Britain, due to the ban of playbacks on UK TV (if I remember correctly this started in Summer 1966 and ended in the late 70's) and one in full-playback for the foreign markets.

Did they really do these four tracks for Don Kirshner or was Kirshner just the first TV programme to air all four GHS-promos?

N

Posted by: Gemini ()
Date: November 20, 2014 22:58

I love these promos!

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: November 21, 2014 01:24

lapaz62

Not a big fan of this song but it does wake up a bit at the end.
Mick's vocal ad-libs are great.

If I recall correctly, this is the only one of the Black & Blue clips that had live, not lip synched, vocals.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 21, 2014 02:36

NeddieFlanders
71Tele
I never have seen a good explanation as to why they did Angie twice on Kirshner's show. The arrangements weren't any different, apart from a slight difference to Mick's vocal, and Mick Taylor pretending to play Nicky Hopkins' piano part.

I guess they did one promovideo with live vocals for Great Britain, due to the ban of playbacks on UK TV (if I remember correctly this started in Summer 1966 and ended in the late 70's) and one in full-playback for the foreign markets.

Did they really do these four tracks for Don Kirshner or was Kirshner just the first TV programme to air all four GHS-promos?

N

Both versions were shown on Kirshner. At the time I remember Rolling Stone describing the vocal in the second version as "fey and mocking" but it was hardly different, except for Mick's lovely hat, of course.

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: November 21, 2014 04:10

Date: November 21, 2014 04:11

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 21, 2014 16:15

gimmedanger
Perhaps people don't pay much attention to all the lyrics?

Anyway, does the second Angie promo feature a live vocal track as well? Sorry for all the questions but I'm fairly new to the Stones (on video).

Like the Dancing With Mr D clip both clips of Angie has Jagger singing live (live for the filming) over the LP version with the recorded vocals muted ie LP version with a live vocal. All the films are LP versions musically.

Silver Train has non-LP studio vocals. Why they bothered to record new vocals over the LP version for a video... who knows.

Ain't Too Proud To Beg is all non-LP studio vocals. Again - why bother!!??

Till The Next Goodbye is a live vocal.

IORR is the LP version but with different guitars and different vocals. Once again... why!!!!!?????

Hot Stuff, Hey Negrita and Crazy Mama are the LP tracks.

Fool To Cry is the LP track but with a live vocal.

Miss You, Respectable and Faraway Eyes are live vocals.

After those they didn't do a live vocal for a video ever again.

Posted by: fuzzbox ()
Date: November 21, 2014 16:25

Why oh why is there not a DVD collection of all their promo films?

Posted by: gimmedanger ()
Date: November 21, 2014 16:37

GasLightStreet
gimmedanger
Perhaps people don't pay much attention to all the lyrics?

Anyway, does the second Angie promo feature a live vocal track as well? Sorry for all the questions but I'm fairly new to the Stones (on video).

Like the Dancing With Mr D clip both clips of Angie has Jagger singing live (live for the filming) over the LP version with the recorded vocals muted ie LP version with a live vocal. All the films are LP versions musically.

Silver Train has non-LP studio vocals. Why they bothered to record new vocals over the LP version for a video... who knows.

Ain't Too Proud To Beg is all non-LP studio vocals. Again - why bother!!??

Till The Next Goodbye is a live vocal.

IORR is the LP version but with different guitars and different vocals. Once again... why!!!!!?????

Hot Stuff, Hey Negrita and Crazy Mama are the LP tracks.

Fool To Cry is the LP track but with a live vocal.

Miss You, Respectable and Faraway Eyes are live vocals.

After those they didn't do a live vocal for a video ever again.

I noticed in one of the Angie promos (the one with the hat I think) that there was another voice underneath Jaggers so perhaps that's the muted album track. Thanks for the info GLS, I haven't had the time to watch all the videos that have been posted yet.

fuzzbox
Why oh why is there not a DVD collection of all their promo films?

I'm sucker for these kinds of things - in a perfect world the audio and the video would be included on a deluxe version. I'd love to have the JJF video (and audio) on a legit format - that's the make-up one where Jagger adds the 'yeah yeahs'.

Date: November 21, 2014 16:51

It's the same with The Beatles, a number of promos and TV appearances, yet no collection of them on DVD.

I don't get it!? Fans would love to have them! I'm sure they would sell a lot!

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: November 21, 2014 16:56

nightskyman
shadooby
lapaz62

This clip is just terrible, good song but shocking clip.

Wooks wike Keef's got sumpin stuck innis teef.

It looks similar to the other two clips from Tattoo You album ('Start Me Up' and 'Hang Fire'). Both Bill and Charlie don't seem to be taking it too seriously...actually, none of them do. All three look like they were shot in one day, only they changed clothes for each clip. They have a 'let's get this over with fast' attitude.

Waiting on a Friend was shot the same day too. No wonder Keith looks like death warmed over by the time they shot the Worried About You video. I like that video, sure it's low budget, but it's great to see Mick just having fun, mugging for the camera, and in some ways the video captures the weary feeling of the song. It's certainly not high art, but fun to watch nonetheless IMHO.

I like the chorus vocals on the Ain't Too Proud to Beg video, they have more of a Motown sound than the released version.

Date: November 21, 2014 17:15

Is Mick Taylor singing live on the Ain't Too Proud To Beg video?

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 21, 2014 21:36

it must be amazing for a younger fan to find this stuff-

how anyone who is into the rolling stones can dislike any of it just baffles me, but then i sometimes forget that being a stones fan sometimes means they're your 5th or 6th favorite band.

Posted by: woodyweaving ()
Date: November 22, 2014 00:53

Yeah agree Lem. As a younger fan I love finding all the old promo videos, live performances and especially bootlegs. They are just amazing.

Date: November 22, 2014 05:05

Date: November 22, 2014 05:07

Date: November 22, 2014 05:08

Date: November 22, 2014 05:29

You're welcome Gimmedanger! I can recall all of that from the first time I ever saw those videos!

This thread should be renamed The Video Singles... or something to that effect.

Posted by: gimmedanger ()
Date: November 22, 2014 15:32

lem motlow
it must be amazing for a younger fan to find this stuff-

how anyone who is into the rolling stones can dislike any of it just baffles me, but then i sometimes forget that being a stones fan sometimes means they're your 5th or 6th favorite band.

For me, the Stones are now my joint favourite band. I only really started to listen to them about 2-3 years ago. I knew some songs, mainly the ones that have been featured in films, but I didn't even know songs like SMU or BS. My friends and family were only casual fans so I decided to dive head first into the 70s stuff and work my way from there. It probably cost me more money in the end the way I did it but I have most of their stuff now. I still need to properly listen to the last 3 albums though.

GasLightStreet
You're welcome Gimmedanger! I can recall all of that from the first time I ever saw those videos!

This thread should be renamed The Video Singles... or something to that effect.

Considering the hate that the Stones usually get for cash-grabbing they certainly haven't capitized on what's left in the vaults. I would've thought they'd have released a singles dvd by now.

Date: November 22, 2014 20:29

lapaz62

The TATTOO YOU videos are awesome! They're SO BAD. Well, Neighbours is the exception. What I love about them is how, for example, Keith is in Hang Fire. At :15 in he's horribly mouthing the doo doo doo doo do's and he does a side sneer while doing it... all the while not even bothering to pretend playing the song on guitar but just... "playing" whatever.

Date: November 22, 2014 20:33

Mick's absurd mouthing for the words... missing words... not bothering...

Charlie playing drums that don't happen in the song... COMPLETELY ignoring what is going on in the song... Woody playing that one blues chord obsessively in Hang Fire (about :53 seconds onward)...

Just completely awesome not regarding ANYTHING!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 23, 2014 02:25

The Promos for the Beatles and the Stones have been booted over the years in more versions than you can probably count..I have several different 2 dvd sets that have been traded to me...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1966
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home