Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Street Fighting Man
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 30, 2015 09:26

Doxa
treaclefingers
Naturalust
Can't think of another tune where acoustic guitar was used to such stunning effect. I often wonder with awe just what was in the air in 1968 that caused such a huge number of great songs to be conceived and recorded. An amazingly fertile period for good rock and roll, imo. peace

so true

Yes. "Street Fighting Man" really uplifts acoustic guitar to another level as a rock and roll instrument. A leading instrument to drive a hard rocking song, which leaves no hostages. It was novel then and as rare ever since.

It could be as well Keith's greatest rhythm guitar constribution on a record ever. As that Wall Street Journal article - I recommend everyone to read it, if not yet done (thanks Kyle M) - Keith also knows hitting something essential there.

- Doxa

Here's another great acoustic led pop song with a lot of power from a few years later.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 30, 2015 09:29

Doxa
bitusa2012

Posted before, and I know I must be odd - but I like the Hyde Park 2013 show the best....yep, even better that GYYYO and all other versions I have ... the way Keith goes out onto the runway whilst driving the riff down, down, down, DOWN ... gee I love it. There is just something about that version...don't know, its just primal - and PRIME Stones

I wouldn't call it the best version ever but I was there and to me it was a musical highlight - with "Midnight Rambler" - of the show. Surprisingly strong version.

I don't know if it is because they play it so rarely these days, why they manage to play it so freshly - like really concentrating to do it right, since they have no 'autopilot' gear for that. I'm not that big fan of their modern day (since 1989) versions - especially their attempt to play it close to original during STEEL WHEELS/URBAN JUNGLE tour sounded a bit artificial - like it coming into just another cabaret number, losing its teeth. And it is one of those songs in which Jagger learned to save his voice, which unfortunately destroyed some of its bite (this especially occurred during LICKS TOUR when they used it as an opening number in many shows). But now it really was hot and edgy. As it should be.

- Doxa

Would have loved to hear it when it was even more fresh on the 1969 tour when they often (always?) closed the show with it! Before my time, but I liked Stanley Booth's descriptions. peace

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 30, 2015 15:34

Although I can't recall if Jagger was saving his voice the MSG version on FOUR FLICKS is outstanding. His voice cracks in a spot or two from going for it. The band is excellent (they fixed Keith's flub in the front part of the song) and it's just a steamroller of a performance.

The version I have from the VOODOO tour is borderline atrocious - they get completely lost. But it does have more bite to it than the awful horrendous URBAN JUNGLE version (they didn't play it on the STEEL WHEELS tour).

Date: January 30, 2015 16:06

Apart from the studio version, Keith never got the intro right until the 1994 2003 tour, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-30 16:32 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 30, 2015 16:11

Sorry, my mistake. They didn't play it during STEEL WHEELS tour. It was the versions during URBAN JOUNGLE I had in my mind. I tend to think those tours as one.

- Doxa

Date: January 30, 2015 16:24

Doxa
Sorry, my mistake. They didn't play it during STEEL WHEELS tour. It was the versions during URBAN JOUNGLE I had in my mind. I tend to think those tours as one.

- Doxa

It made me look though! The UJ tour had a slightly smaller stage than the SW one. And what a mess it looked!

They didn't play SFM worth a shit on the 1990 and VOODOO tours! I get that Keith let Ronnie start the song for the VOODOO shows because who knows why but they didn't do it right until the LICKS tour.

Date: January 30, 2015 22:15

Silver Dagger
Doxa
treaclefingers
Naturalust
Can't think of another tune where acoustic guitar was used to such stunning effect. I often wonder with awe just what was in the air in 1968 that caused such a huge number of great songs to be conceived and recorded. An amazingly fertile period for good rock and roll, imo. peace

so true

Yes. "Street Fighting Man" really uplifts acoustic guitar to another level as a rock and roll instrument. A leading instrument to drive a hard rocking song, which leaves no hostages. It was novel then and as rare ever since.

It could be as well Keith's greatest rhythm guitar constribution on a record ever. As that Wall Street Journal article - I recommend everyone to read it, if not yet done (thanks Kyle M) - Keith also knows hitting something essential there.

- Doxa

Here's another great acoustic led pop song with a lot of power from a few years later.

Indeed. Thanks for that.

I've always been impressed at what Monte Montgomery pulls off with his acoustic Alvarez.

peace

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: January 30, 2015 22:42

Silver Dagger
A magnificent call to arms for the world's restless youth...

Doxa
This is the soundtrack song of that crazy year 1968... The Stones probably would not ever again be so urgent and reflecting the zeitgeist as they then were with this song. If there is ever a use for the term 'relevance', it applies just here.

I've heard this kind of stuff before about "Street Fighting Man" and it bothers me. I remember 1968 pretty well. Those were turbulent times. All of the late 1960s were. I remember driving across Los Angeles with my mom during the Watts Riots and being stopped by heavily armed National Guardsmen. I remember the anger against the U.S. government during the Vietnam War.

Here's what bothers me about "Street Fighting Man": Rock stars just play at revolution.

"The time is right for violent revolution," Jagger sings. Could he actually stomach that kind of violet upheaval? All those stoned hippies from the 1960s who talked revolution only talked it.

I love the music itself in this song. Richards laid down a great guitar sound. But the lyrics always bothered me. I've been to several Stones concerts where they played this one, usually as an encore. I gazed at all the stoned people around me and thought, "This revolution is for play."

Anyway, these are just my thoughts. I never cared for all the 1960s calls for revolution and considered them phoney. The punk rock reaction to all that phoniness was wonderful and one of the reasons I liked early punk rock.

Date: January 30, 2015 22:50

He sings "palace revolution"...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 30, 2015 23:38

Naturalust
Silver Dagger
Doxa
treaclefingers
Naturalust

so true

- Doxa

Indeed. Thanks for that.

I've always been impressed at what Monte Montgomery pulls off with his acoustic Alvarez.

peace

Never heard of him Naturalust. Thanks for the tip.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 14:46

one of the finest applications of 3-chord rock-n-roll in history. the transitions between the chords are amazing, as of course is the timing and rhythm of it. one of the first punk songs?

Date: July 10, 2015 01:10

just wanted to give a nod to jimmy miller on this one for the double tracking of the vocals. he did a take where he had jagger shout, not sing, the words and added that as a second (quieter) vocal track. in listening to the recording again after reading that, i really feel it adds a lot to the song in terms of the motion and urgency it conveys.

it's said this was also done in sympathy for the devil, and on a lot of tracks on "exile"

(i know double tracking is nothing new here, but having the words shouted rather than sung and putting them deep down in the mix was a novel idea.)

Posted by: pricepittsburgh ()
Date: July 10, 2015 07:00

Like The Beatles Revolution, a misleading tile that people assume is about something it's not.

Date: July 10, 2015 07:04

DandelionPowderman

But why did he want to keel the king? That's a bit odd, idnit?

Posted by: 751st ()
Date: July 10, 2015 07:10

Oh @#$%& I could write a book about my feelings for this track.Truly a timeless Stones classic and should be one of the top 5 warhorses along with Rambler.

Date: July 10, 2015 07:52

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

Google "French Revolution"

Date: July 10, 2015 18:12

Turner68
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

Google "French Revolution"

To find out why Mick wanted to keel the king? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 10, 2015 18:43

treaclefingers
Doxa
treaclefingers
Naturalust

so true

- Doxa

yes, and whether by accident or not he had the presence of mind to understand how good it was.
I think everyone knows this but the acoustic guitar and drums were recorded through the mic and input of Keith's portable tape recorder. He loved the compressed effect the front end of the tape player's sound so the engineers rigged it as a pre-amp. I also believe Charlie used a "toy" child's drum kit as well.

Date: July 10, 2015 18:57

DoomandGloom
treaclefingers
Doxa
treaclefingers
Naturalust

so true

- Doxa

yes, and whether by accident or not he had the presence of mind to understand how good it was.
I think everyone knows this but the acoustic guitar and drums were recorded through the mic and input of Keith's portable tape recorder. He loved the compressed effect the front end of the tape player's sound so the engineers rigged it as a pre-amp. I also believe Charlie used a "toy" child's drum kit as well.

yep. amazing drum sound. amazing that they would even try it, much less that it worked so well.

Date: July 10, 2015 19:07

Turner68
DoomandGloom
treaclefingers
Doxa
treaclefingers
Naturalust

so true

- Doxa

yep. amazing drum sound. amazing that they would even try it, much less that it worked so well.

One of the earliest examples of brickwalling, grinning smiley

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: July 10, 2015 23:14

I'm partial to the acoustic versions, particularly the one on Stripped.

Although the 1972 ya-yas version with the scorching Mick Taylor solo is great as well.

The newer live versions from say B2B forward don't hold a candle to the old ones.

Date: July 11, 2015 06:20

beachbreak
I'm partial to the acoustic versions, particularly the one on Stripped.

Although the 1972 ya-yas version with the scorching Mick Taylor solo is great as well.

The newer live versions from say B2B forward don't hold a candle to the old ones.

Well... 1970's GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! is searing. But they've done some good ones since. In fact, the Madison Square Garden show that is on FOUR FLICKS (and oddly not on LIVE LICKS) is stellar and, possibly, better than the GYYYO! version.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 11, 2015 18:27

I recall seeing a great version from 14 on Fire. Some show in The US, very punk. A song as great as this lends itself to great versions. Taylor's counterpoint on Ya Ya's is one of my all time favorite things in Stones' music. When I knew Lou Reed he'd growl, "Street Fighting Man, Street Fighting Man, that little wimp Jagger he's never been in a street fight".

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 11, 2015 19:13

Of course the 1973 European tour versions, especially the soundboard one from Empire Pool, make all other versions irrelevant, except those of 69 till 72, because they were the predecessors of that final and orgastic 1973 version.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 11, 2015 19:20

Should be played live lots more, these days.
Rehearsal versions were smokin'.

Date: July 11, 2015 19:22

kleermaker
Of course the 1973 European tour versions, especially the soundboard one from Empire Pool, make all other versions irrelevant, except those of 69 till 72, because they were the predecessors of that final and orgastic 1973 version.

Well it certainly was an energetic performance. Not Micks best vocals though. Love that you can actually hear the drums, Charlie is cooking here!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: July 11, 2015 19:33

kleermaker

I'll second that. They rape that song, something one might expect from the greatest R&R band in the world.

Posted by: fuzzbox ()
Date: July 11, 2015 19:53

DoomandGloom

It wasn't used as a pre-amp, they actually recorded on to the tape in the cassette recorder. This was then played back on the cassette recorder through extension speaker which was miced up and recorded on to a channel on th 8 track. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-11 23:56 by fuzzbox.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: July 12, 2015 03:12

I wish they would add Monkey Man to the setlist. It's one of their heavier rockers. They did it good at MSG, the Offical Authorized version on their website.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 12, 2015 13:25

Naturalust
kleermaker

Well it certainly was an energetic performance. Not Micks best vocals though. Love that you can actually hear the drums, Charlie is cooking here!

[www.youtube.com]

They all deliver on that version. All of them.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2004
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home