Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Favourite drums
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 4, 2014 05:16

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dandelion--in the outro playout, the drums take center stage (or song in this case), and this may be his most expressively artistic approach to the drums ever with the Stones, quite a departure from his usual rock steady beat.

Also worth mentioning is Hand Of Fate--love the way his drums change tempo during the guitar solo parts, each time with a different groove and hi hat signature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-04 05:28 by stonehearted.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 4, 2014 05:18

Ventilator Blues because it was different. Yeah I know Bobby Keys had something to do with it, love that story. peace

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: November 4, 2014 08:23

well, going back to the first time I ever really *heard* the drums as an instrument that wasn't "supporting"....Get Off Of My Cloud. Too damn cool.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 4, 2014 08:39

KRiffhard
Where the boys go

Yep...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: November 4, 2014 10:04

Always liked the finale of Tumbling Dice with Keith singing "You gotta roll it" along to the responding drums.

Paint it black ist terrific, of course,

And the double Percussion on the 1975 tour worked excellently on Sympathyfor the devil (s ist probably did in Hyde Park 1969 but we need a stereo Version to confirm that).

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: November 4, 2014 10:50

- RESPECTABLE
- FANCYMAN BLUES (only one or two breaks)
- START ME UP

Date: November 4, 2014 11:21

saltoftheearth
Always liked the finale of Tumbling Dice with Keith singing "You gotta roll it" along to the responding drums.

Paint it black ist terrific, of course,

And the double Percussion on the 1975 tour worked excellently on Sympathyfor the devil (s ist probably did in Hyde Park 1969 but we need a stereo Version to confirm that).

Jimmy Miller played the last part of the song. Very nice, indeed.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 4, 2014 11:33

That crazy off-kilter cymbal in the lead-up to the switch to doubletime in the studio version of YCAGWYW -
hail hail Jimmy Miller for that one. It's like a refugee from a mental asylum stumbling along seeing angels

And Loving Cup. And Get Off of My Cloud. And Dead Flowers. And who can start to count them all

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 4, 2014 12:47

The entire 1975 tour. Watts at his absolute peak, propelled by a fantastic percussionist behind him.

Mathijs

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 4, 2014 12:54

Rocks Off!
I can never get enough of those opening hits.

Everything Jimmy Miller produced had good drum sounds and playing. Beggars Banquet has some brilliant and interesting drum tracks, like the pounding sound of the toy drum kit on Steet Fighting Man. I also love the much softer drumming on Goats Head Soup. Some of the intro fills there are almost the opposite of Rocks Off -- weak, loose and swampy -- but I luv 'em.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 4, 2014 14:02

Jumpin' Jack Flash, rock drumming defined.

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: November 4, 2014 14:13

Without any doubt: Paint it black!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 4, 2014 15:29

LieB
Rocks Off!
I can never get enough of those opening hits.

Everything Jimmy Miller produced had good drum sounds and playing. Beggars Banquet has some brilliant and interesting drum tracks, like the pounding sound of the toy drum kit on Steet Fighting Man. I also love the much softer drumming on Goats Head Soup. Some of the intro fills there are almost the opposite of Rocks Off -- weak, loose and swampy -- but I luv 'em.

completely agree! well said. Jimmy Miller worked so well with them. especially regarding drums and percussion, which he understood ( a very good drummer).

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: November 4, 2014 16:48

Wild Horses... A song we all might tire of easily, but there is that magical tom-tom fill leading into the chorus toward the end of the song... Absolutely perfect.

I also love Kenny Jones' drumming on IORR. And I agree with whoever said it above about all the great grooves on GYYYO. And of course Emotional Rescue!! Loooove the drum sound on that great title track. Charlie is so key for so many of the great songs.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: November 4, 2014 17:01

All down the line, Brixton '95.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 4, 2014 17:05

Hand Of Fate
If You CanĀ“t Rock Me
Hold On To Your Hat

(...)

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: November 4, 2014 17:19

Beast of Burden and Sway

Posted by: mega ()
Date: November 4, 2014 17:32

Don't know about favorite drumpart....there is so many, but the best recorded drumsound (in history?) is Honky Tonk Women!smiling smiley

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: November 4, 2014 18:51

stonehearted

Also worth mentioning is Hand Of Fate--love the way his drums change tempo during the guitar solo parts, each time with a different groove and hi hat signature.
Hear, hear! Love Crazy Mama and Everything is Turning to Gold as well.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: November 4, 2014 18:54

Monkey Man in the middle break down part was always a part of my high school bong sessions. We'd all wait for it and air drum it together.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: November 4, 2014 19:40

Hello,

As I've discussed on here before; Rip This Joint. Totally wicked, the epitome of how a rock n' roll drummer should bring the swing.

Declan

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: November 4, 2014 23:39

jigsaq puzzle.child of the moon.citadel.2000 man.2000 light years from home!

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: November 5, 2014 19:22

Ventilator Blues

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 6, 2014 02:33

We Love You
Citadel
2000 Light Years
Dandelion
Jigsaw Puzzle
Salt Of The Earth
Monkey Man
Let It Bleed
Jumpin' Jack Flash - GYYYO
SFTD - GYYYO
SFM - GYYYO
Sway
CYHMK
Rocks Off
Soul Survivor
100 Years Ago
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo
If You Can't Rock Me
Dance Little Sister
Hot Stuff
Crazy Mama
Honky Tonk Women - LYL
Beast Of Burden
Everything Is Turning To Gold
Emotional Rescue
She's So Cold
Hang Fire
Slave
Neighbours
Tops
She Was Hot
Tie You Up
Hearts For Sale
Shattered - Voodoo Lounge tour
Flip The Switch
You Don't Have To Mean It
Thief In The Night
How Can I Stop
It Won't Take Long
Dangerous Beauty
She Saw Me Coming
Plundered My Soul
Do You Think I Really Care
One More Shot

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 6, 2014 15:51

There's a lot. But I always loved the drumming on YaYa's. Made me switch from guitar to drums.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 6, 2014 18:12

Charlie seemed to have developed a certain style starting with, to my ears anyway, Dandelion through IORR regarding the most often used style. After that it started to change. But it's that two kick beat before the snare thumper he does that's so prevalent on We Love You, 2000 Light Years, JJF, Jigsaw Puzzle, Let It Bleed, Bitch, Sister Morphine (a bit more of a lag than the double kick but the same feel), Rocks Off, All Down The Line, Dance Little Sister, Beast Of Burden, he does it a bit on Shattered (LP), Black Limo, Neighbours.

All but one song (it seems) on ER is 4 on the floor!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1120
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home