Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Sheryl Crow at Manchester Ritz, Thursday 30th October 2014.
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 31, 2014 12:43

Hello,

My first time seeing Ms Crow: I don't possess even one song by her but it was the reasonable ticket price (£35) and the small-ish capacity venue (1500 standing) that swayed me. I'm glad I was swayed!

Sheryl and her six bandmates were onstage at 8.30pm as advertised and we made a very welcoming racket before she had sung a note: cue big smiles all round! For a relatively small unit she has a mighty powerful voice too which perhaps means that she rarely has to strain herself? There was a funny moment early on when she slipped-in an uncanny Michael Jackson trademark falsetto for free...she was a backing singer for him, no?

Her band were at least as enthusiastic as their Guv'nor, all smiles and shouts and generally playing up a storm. I was surprised, as this was a more rocking show than I had expected: granted, there were a couple of formulaic 'chug-a-long/strum-a-long' numbers that must have earned her some serious coin in PRS payments, but it was when she cut loose playing the mouth harp and whipping-up the pace that things really took-off.

There was a touching tribute to Jack Bruce in the form of a minute of 'Sunshine Of...' which her band really loved playing. The final song was another cover, this time Zeppelin's 'Rock And Roll' which was a stormer! Twin LP gold top attack and plenty loud too, hah-hah! Highly recommended, is Ms Crow...

Maybe Angels
A Change Would Do You Good
All I Wanna Do
Callin' Me When I'm Lonely
Real Gone
Can't Cry Anymore
My Favorite Mistake
Sweet Rosalyn
The First Cut Is the Deepest
Best of Times
Anything But Down
Strong Enough
If It Makes You Happy
Soak Up the Sun
Everyday Is a Winding Road

Encore:

Run, Baby, Run
Rock and Roll

Cheers,

Simon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-01 10:44 by SimonN.

Re: O/T Sheryl Crow at Manchester Ritz, Thursday 30th October 2014.
Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: October 31, 2014 12:56

SimonN £35 is only reasonable because you've got used to the Stones prices lol.
Yes lets share some Sheryl Crow love I too would not call myself a Sheryl Crow fan and she does indeed have a few "by numbers" songs but I do have the first 2 albums and particularly "Tuesday Night Music Club" still gets the occasional play. Saw her support the Stones at Wembley in 1999 and then again a few years back at Shepherds Bush Empire and yes she was great. Rock N Roll was the encore that night as well...much to my surprise I have to say!

Date: October 31, 2014 13:36

Great review Simon, it appears her only London date is tonight at the Bluesfest at the RAH which I am unable to attend. As exhpart says, she was one of the best Stones supporting acts, so glad to have caught her then. Her 'Sheryl Crow and Friends Live from Central Park' album is well worth checking out.....which includes Keith of course!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 31, 2014 13:41

Great to see you enjoyed the concert. thumbs up

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 31, 2014 13:58

I knew you couldn't resist getting pix Si. Really like Ms Crow but she kinda lost it a bit in the noughties. Her last 2 albums have been back to form though, especially the last.

Saw her supporting the Stones at Shepherds Bush Empire - what an incredible double bill.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 31, 2014 17:08

love Sheryl Crow so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1651
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home