Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: No Security - the forgotten gem
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 29, 2014 16:50

I thought they missed the bus with this album. It was released in November of 1998... not a great time to release a record of any kind. Should've waited until spring of 1999.

Not that another live album by the Stones was going to sell big.

However, the track selection is, for the most part, outstanding. I could've done without Dave Matttthewwws - or at least just Mick and Keith on Memory Motel - as well as Live With Me, Respectable and The Last Time but considering the alternatives - a incredibly weak Crazy Mama, a hurried and too fast and shortened She's A Rainbow yet alone any of the warhorses... although I was surprised they didn't include Anybody Seen My Baby - it had to of been performed decent at some point.

And yeah, bizarrely enough, You Got Me Rocking is actually pretty good. It's faster and has no lumps in it, which is the only thing that helps that tune.

Gimme Shelter is excellent.

Certainly this would've been a better LP cover...

Date: October 29, 2014 17:04

GasLightStreet
I thought they missed the bus with this album. It was released in November of 1998... not a great time to release a record of any kind. Should've waited until spring of 1999.

Not that another live album by the Stones was going to sell big.

However, the track selection is, for the most part, outstanding. I could've done without Dave Matttthewwws - or at least just Mick and Keith on Memory Motel - as well as Live With Me, Respectable and The Last Time but considering the alternatives - a incredibly weak Crazy Mama, a hurried and too fast and shortened She's A Rainbow yet alone any of the warhorses... although I was surprised they didn't include Anybody Seen My Baby - it had to of been performed decent at some point.

And yeah, bizarrely enough, You Got Me Rocking is actually pretty good. It's faster and has no lumps in it, which is the only thing that helps that tune.

Gimme Shelter is excellent.

Certainly this would've been a better LP cover...

Very cool! Without the "featuring...", of course grinning smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 29, 2014 17:07

Ugh. That's just so lame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DECCA61 ()
Date: October 29, 2014 17:25

what i never understood is why the stones ALWAYS have these stupid guest recordings like dave M. and others on THEIR live album's the Download shows are the first in history that contains UNCUT complete shows without the overdubs

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 29, 2014 17:32

I could never get past that awful cover.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 29, 2014 17:41

forgotten --yes ..I forgot that I do have the CD of this..

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: October 29, 2014 17:50

The ones that have made it to the USB stick I have in my car are You Got Me Rocking, Flip the Switch and The Last Time.

I bet those wouldn't be everyone's choice. winking smiley

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: October 29, 2014 18:11

The real GEM is Japan edition with "i just want to make love to you" also recorded in Ámsterdam shows...

The No Security cd is one of those under rated just by the cover.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: October 29, 2014 18:37

- Out Of Control (MJ/KR) -Jimmy Starbuck on shaker; Buenos Aires 4.4.98

Johnny Starbuck, surely?!

Date: October 29, 2014 18:56

DECCA61
what i never understood is why the stones ALWAYS have these stupid guest recordings like dave M. and others on THEIR live album's the Download shows are the first in history that contains UNCUT complete shows without the overdubs

Hampton has overdubs.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: October 29, 2014 19:13

Such a pity they had to put Dave Matthews on "Memory Motel" -- I saw a version from around that time period without him, in Philly in '97, and it was a goosebump moment, one of my all time in-person Stones highlights. The version on here is not as good, because adding Dave Matthews destroys the mellow Stones vibe of the song, and the Mick/Keith chemistry of the two parts. It's actually one of the best slow songs they've ever done live, and this version with Matthews does it no favors.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 29, 2014 20:06

I know that is not very popular here, but DMB's Live at Red Rocks was one of my fav records of the time, so his inclusion on Memory Motel was a pleasant surprise for me. I think he does a good job too.

On the other hand, I agree that we don't really need a "guest" singing on the only officially released version of Memory.

C

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: October 29, 2014 20:44

Btw the vinyl sounds excellent. Superb mastering, great sound. Crap artwork, plain white inners.

Tom

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 29, 2014 21:07

Does anyone know the man and woman on the cover? This was mentioned before here and no answer.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: October 29, 2014 23:17

November 4: Who's on the No Security cover?
The No Security CD is now out all over the world, and Stones fans may enjoy the memories of the BtB tour.
The front cover photo is taken at the show in Wiener Neustadt, Austria, and the guy is Wolfgang Dusek, optician from Vienna. The girl is still not identified.

[www.iorr.org]

Date: October 29, 2014 23:20

stonehearted
<<maybe the cover killed it.>>

I blame Dave Matthews.

thumbs up Dave Matthews ruined whatever track he was on for me. It's a nice live album, not good, not bad. It has its moments (obviously a live version of 'Sister Morphine' is a plus!), but falls short here and there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-29 23:22 by BeforeTheyMakeMeRun.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: October 29, 2014 23:38

The sound is a bit too weak and polished.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 29, 2014 23:56

That cover would have benefitted the album A LOT.
In some ways that photo, fits the music quite a lot: Polished and doctored!

Date: October 29, 2014 23:57

Try the vinyl release.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 30, 2014 00:08

The bizarreness of this release is that it has absolutely nothing to do with the No Security Tour. It's live cuts from the Bridges to Babylon gigs. I'd love to hear tracks from the actual tour, better yet, have the next vault DVD release be the San Jose show from 1999, the TRUE No Security Tour, and the last great Stones tour, ever.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 30, 2014 00:22

24FPS
The bizarreness of this release is that it has absolutely nothing to do with the No Security Tour.

People are constantly making this mistake.

There is nothing bizarre about this. The live album came before the tour. The album was released in November 1998, and the NS tour started in January 1999. Not sure how people expected the album to represent the NS tour when at the time of the release, the tour hadn't happened yet.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 30, 2014 00:57

24FPS
the last great Stones tour, ever.
Is yet to come. After a new album that will be better than EOMS.

Date: October 30, 2014 01:37

They toured the live album, hence it had everything to do with it smiling smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 30, 2014 11:38

It is a little bisarre that they decided to "tour a live album", especially since the live album was so unsignificant with no new songs or anything. I mean, they certainly didn't do a "Ya Ya's" tour, or a "Love You Live" tour, or call the 1982 tour the "Still Life" tour.

Date: October 30, 2014 11:50

LieB
It is a little bisarre that they decided to "tour a live album", especially since the live album was so unsignificant with no new songs or anything. I mean, they certainly didn't do a "Ya Ya's" tour, or a "Love You Live" tour, or call the 1982 tour the "Still Life" tour.

There's a first time for everything, I guess smiling smiley

+ they had the tax-shows in England to do, right?

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 30, 2014 12:46

DandelionPowderman
LieB

There's a first time for everything, I guess smiling smiley

+ they had the tax-shows in England to do, right?

3 in England + 1 in Scotlandwinking smiley Not to mention the Shephard's Bush show in from of 1500 paying £10 a ticket...

The postponement of these shows was anounced just as I was getting up to go to head for France for the World Cup in 1998 and I was not best pleased. Mick's reason was it would have cost them £12m in extra tax. Loads of British Stones fans headed abroad for shows that Summer when that happened - me included.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 30, 2014 14:24

Yes, not a representation of a concert per se, but I love this record DUE to the song selection. I am grateful not to have another ya yas or love you live, but a rather more eclectic juke box to choose from.

Yes, I wish there was no Dave Matthews on Memory Motel, and I don't much care for Taj Mahal tune, but the rest is just fine with me.... Including the cover!

Date: October 30, 2014 15:22

I'm a huge Taj-fan, and was delighted when I found out that the St.Louis-performance came on the cd as well as the official video.

Love Taj, love that performance. This one was great, too:

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 30, 2014 15:53

I enjoyed the Taj song as well.

I don't know own any Dave Mathews or even know any Dave Mathews songs but the duet didn't bother me at all.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 30, 2014 17:13

YGMR truly rocks on this Album, both Keef and Ronnie are great on it!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1591
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home