Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Set lists now and then: is there a difference?
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 30, 2014 19:13

The 19 song set list have a 12/14 minutes version of MR that makes room for jam/mt solo and playful interaction with the crowd

Other songs clock over 6 minutes (GS, Satisfaction, YCAGWYW..)

i think they feel more comfortable and it matches with micks idea of the show and its crescendo

also mick's mind is always on those who have not seen the band ever or in a while

at this point it does not make a difference if they play with a new album or not

in the end it's quite simple why we have the stones setlist that we have

:-)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 30, 2014 19:46

Winning Ugly VXII

The 19 song set list is a huge factor as well. It doesn't leave much room to maneuver.

That's true. If you play 28 songs, like they sometimes did in 1989, you can play almost all those most famous songs (about 12), and still there is a lot of room for something else.

For example, they played 12 same songs last night in Perth as they did in Atlantic City 1989. Now there was only seven for 'something else', wheras back then there was 16...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-30 19:49 by Doxa.

Date: October 30, 2014 20:48

Anyway, more I look those 1989/90 set lists, clearer it is that the modern war horses concept, and which songs belong to it, was then created. If earlier (1975-82), there was about five to seven old classics they played every night, it wasn't a lot in percentage of the numbers (when they played about 20plus songs a night). The really 'must' numbers were more like four: "Honky Tonk Women", "Tumbling Dice", "Brown Sugar" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash" they played every night in every tour. By 1982, those four numbers were the only real 'war horses', even though the concept 'war horses' didn't really apply yet, since it was a question of so few numbers (they were more like 'signature songs'). This left a lot of variation which other 'old' songs to play, and that varieted a lot from tour to tour.

After 1989 the amount of 'must' songs has been radically higher. Jagger speaks of ten, which might be right even statistically. So Jagger's ten most likely are to be selected from the following ones:

"Start Me Up"
"Tumbling Dice"
"It's Only Rock'n'Roll"
"Honky Tonk Women"
"Midnight Rambler"
"Miss You"
"Jumpin' Jack Flash"
"Sympathy For The Devil"
"Gimme Shelter"
"Brown Sugar"
"Satisfaction"
"You Can't Always Get What You Want"
"Street Fighting Man"

There more probably is not many, if any, major Stones gig - leave random club dates, etc. out - after 1989 that wouldn't include at least ten of the songs listed above. This is also to say, me thinks, that Stones show has been essentially a greatest hits oriented show ever since (even if still about half of the material was something else, many of them were familiar songs, like "Angie", "Wild Horses", "Ruby Tuesday", etc.). If we also take into consideration that the amount of relatively new songs (from their recent albums) is something from three to five per gig, nowadays one to two, it is also basically a nostalgia-oriented show as well, if you like. Only two post-STEEL WHEELS songs - "You Got Me Rocking" and "Out of Control" - seem to have lasted beyond their 'heyday', and are still in rotation. Well, some Keith numbers as well, but do those count?grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-30 21:02 by Doxa.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: October 30, 2014 21:55

Doxa
Anyway, more I look those 1989/90 set lists, clearer it is that the modern war horses concept, and which songs belong to it, was then created. If earlier (1975-82), there was about five to seven old classics they played every night, it wasn't a lot in percentage of the numbers (when they played about 20plus songs a night). The really 'must' numbers were more like four: "Honky Tonk Women", "Tumbling Dice", "Brown Sugar" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash" they played every night in every tour. By 1982, those four numbers were the only real 'war horses', even though the concept 'war horses' didn't really apply yet, since it was a question of so few numbers (they were more like 'signature songs'). This left a lot of variation which other 'old' songs to play, and that varieted a lot from tour to tour.

After 1989 the amount of 'must' songs has been radically higher. Jagger speaks of ten, which might be right even statistically. So Jagger's ten most likely are to be selected from the following ones:

"Start Me Up"
"Tumbling Dice"
"It's Only Rock'n'Roll"
"Honky Tonk Women"
"Midnight Rambler"
"Miss You"
"Jumpin' Jack Flash"
"Sympathy For The Devil"
"Gimme Shelter"
"Brown Sugar"
"Satisfaction"
"You Can't Always Get What You Want"
"Street Fighting Man"

There more probably is not many, if any, major Stones gig - leave random club dates, etc. out - after 1989 that wouldn't include at least ten of the songs listed above. This is also to say, me thinks, that Stones show has been essentially a greatest hits oriented show ever since (even if still about half of the material was something else, many of them were familiar songs, like "Angie", "Wild Horses", "Ruby Tuesday", etc.). If we also take into consideration that the amount of relatively new songs (from their recent albums) is something from three to five per gig, nowadays one to two, it is also basically a nostalgia-oriented show as well, if you like. Only two post-STEEL WHEELS songs - "You Got Me Rocking" and "Out of Control" - seem to have lasted beyond their 'heyday', and are still in rotation. Well, some Keith numbers as well, but do those count?grinning smiley

- Doxa

Rambler is always kind of the odd duck amongst the others, it is famous live with more hardcore fans, but the casual one probably wouldn't notice if it wasn't played. Listen to every show where a bunch of fans start clapping, thinking it's over at the slowdown, five or six minutes in. It's a song that insists on being included just because of how well it comes off, not based on any popularity chartwise.

Another nice thing about this leg is we have a second show or two, to see if any treats are included like in the States and Tokyo.

Date: October 30, 2014 22:13

StonesCat

Rambler is always kind of the odd duck amongst the others, it is famous live with more hardcore fans, but the casual one probably wouldn't notice if it wasn't played. Listen to every show where a bunch of fans start clapping, thinking it's over at the slowdown, five or six minutes in. It's a song that insists on being included just because of how well it comes off, not based on any popularity chartwise.

Yeah. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this current tour (with Taylor) the first tour that "Midnight Rambler" is a regular number in setlist (well, since 1989/90, or even 1976)? They have played many, many times during the years, but it wasn't any obvious number, but more like a pleasent surprise (especially for hardcore fans) everytime it was played. Some of that 'status' has now gone, and it just another warhorse...

If memory serves, it was my Stones concert number eight or nine, starting in 1995, when I finally catched this legendary number... I had almost lost my hope..grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-30 22:20 by Doxa.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 30, 2014 23:56

I do understand why they play so many warhorses but I confess to finding it annoying, especially if you expect to see multiple shows on a tour. You will find that McCartney does the same thing though, playing most of the same songs each night BUT the difference is Paul plays for 3 hours+...and he'll change about 4 tunes each night.
In the 60's and 70's, the Stones' shows were much shorter, running maybe 90 minutes if you were lucky and that meant 13-15 songs. They varied the set list VERY LITTLE from night to night. And MAUMAU, as far as Mick having to remember the lyrics if he added a lot of " new songs" each night...well, that is an excuse because they can use the teleprompter if necessary!
I do agree with you as to WHY Mick is reluctant to change the set list too much and cut out war horses...he knows that each night, it's a FIRST STONES SHOW for some fans. They expect to hear the warhorses. But what about the hard core fans who DIE to hear a few deep cuts!!? So what's the answer....there is no answer because at the end of the day, just to SEE the Stones LIVE now is a miracle and you have to approach each show that you see as a little piece of heaven.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 31, 2014 00:05

I don't mind if they play only the warhorses........but I don't understand that only play some of them if the have dozens....what's wrong with "Heart Of Stone" as an example great song for a long jam................

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 31, 2014 13:36

Doxa
StonesCat

Yeah. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this current tour (with Taylor) the first tour that "Midnight Rambler" is a regular number in setlist (well, since 1989/90, or even 1976)? They have played many, many times during the years, but it wasn't any obvious number, but more like a pleasent surprise (especially for hardcore fans) everytime it was played. Some of that 'status' has now gone, and it just another warhorse...

If memory serves, it was my Stones concert number eight or nine, starting in 1995, when I finally catched this legendary number... I had almost lost my hope..grinning smiley

- Doxa

If I remember correctly, Rambler was always played in 1990, not in 1994, some times in 1995, then nothing until 1999. During lix it was in rotation, often with Knocking, in the "long song" spot. From Bang onward it is always done

C

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 31, 2014 13:40

I found this site here, it has some interetsing stats

[www.setlist.fm]

I have to correct my self: during the Bang tour Rambler was not always done.

C

Date: October 31, 2014 17:56

Rambler was played rarely in 1995,if I recall correctly.

Anyway,my point is that if " Mick's mind is always on those who have not seen the band ever or in a while " , they still were able to pull off different,unique set lists for long periods of time. Let's say 1981 to mid-way through 2003. Different from each previous tour.

At the same time,they were consistently setting attendance records.

So ..... I don't buy into the idea that they would be driving people away by resting Miss You (see 1999 , most of '02/'03), IORR (see 1981) for other popular songs.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 31, 2014 18:09

Midnight Rambler got played at every show in 1989-90 from what I can tell.

Date: October 31, 2014 18:12

Ugh. To have the songs in bold in the same show with Midnight Rambler is astounding.

950225A 25th February: Johannesburg, South Africa, Ellis Park Stadium
(Not Fade Away/Tumbling Dice/You Got Me Rocking/It’s All Over Now/
Live With Me/Sparks Will Fly/Satisfaction/Out Of Tears/Angie/Rock And A
Hard Place
/Midnight Rambler/I Go Wild/Miss You/Band introduction/
Honky Tonk Women/Happy/Slipping Away/Sympathy For The Devil/
Monkey Man/Street Fighting Man/Start Me Up/It’s Only Rock’n Roll/Brown
Sugar/Jumping Jack Flash)

Date: October 31, 2014 18:18

Winning Ugly VXII
Rambler was played rarely in 1995,if I recall correctly.

I counted 4 times it got played in 1995!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 31, 2014 19:05

"Midnight Rambler" was a permanent fixture on the B-stage at every show on the 1999 No Security tour except the Shepards Bush theater/club show.

Aus NZ Set List is really mixing it up
Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: November 2, 2014 15:54

Just did a little bit of counting...

There are always 12 "Platinum Classics" (7 from the 60's, 4 from the 70's and 1 from the 80's) - you know them: I won't repeat the names

Then 2 "Newer Hits" ( OOC and D&G) - one from the 90's and one from the 00's

The Keith has played 4 numbers so far in his 2 song set - and we know he rehearsed at least one more.

And the remaining 3 songs are picked, so far, from 9 - ie all different every night. I'm sure that won't last but it shows the band are really trying to mix it up.

So in total 27 songs over 3 gigs: only 9 in each but still a 2 hour or so show.

I wish I was there for these gigs with this variety - it's as much, if not more, variety than any tour from any period except for the stadium/arena/theatre/club changes. And the show is over 2 hours long.

Re: Aus NZ Set List is really mixing it up
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 2, 2014 16:44

thecitadel
Just did a little bit of counting...

There are always 12 "Platinum Classics" (7 from the 60's, 4 from the 70's and 1 from the 80's) - you know them: I won't repeat the names

Then 2 "Newer Hits" ( OOC and D&G) - one from the 90's and one from the 00's

The Keith has played 4 numbers so far in his 2 song set - and we know he rehearsed at least one more.

And the remaining 3 songs are picked, so far, from 9 - ie all different every night. I'm sure that won't last but it shows the band are really trying to mix it up.

So in total 27 songs over 3 gigs: only 9 in each but still a 2 hour or so show.

I wish I was there for these gigs with this variety - it's as much, if not more, variety than any tour from any period except for the stadium/arena/theatre/club changes. And the show is over 2 hours long.

Yes- this is turning out to be a great tour.

Melbourne - Nov. 5th Set List Prediction
Date: November 2, 2014 04:53

Here's my guess :

1) Start Me Up
2) Get Off Of My Cloud
3) It's Only Rock'n Roll
4) Tumbling Dice
5) Let it Bleed
6) Doom & Gloom
7) Emotional Rescue ( by request )
8) Out Of Control
9) Honky Tonk Women
--- Band introductions
10) You Got The Silver (Keith)
11) Can't Be Seen (Keith)
12) Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
13) Miss You
14) Gimme Shelter
15) Jumping Jack Flash
16) Sympathy For The Devil
17) Brown Sugar
--- Band off stage
18) You Can't Always Get What You Want ( with choir )
19) Satisfaction ( with Mick Taylor )

Re: Melbourne - Nov. 5th Set List Prediction
Posted by: ozstonesfan ()
Date: November 2, 2014 07:57

Would be happy if we get this. ER and GOMC would be fantastic. LIB is cool but would probably prefer Factory Girl which they rehearsed in Adelaide from memory.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: November 2, 2014 10:13

I'm hoping for Memory Motel.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: November 2, 2014 10:18

and maybe Beast

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: November 2, 2014 11:35

If Emotional Rescue wins the song vote it will disprove Melbourne's reputation as the rock capital of Australia!

Posted by: maradona ()
Date: November 2, 2014 12:10

Why not open with Satisfaction just like in 2006?

Date: November 2, 2014 14:19

What about :

5) Factory Girl

7) Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo ( Heartbreaker ) ...... with Mick Taylor / by request ??

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 2, 2014 14:56

Winning Ugly VXII

Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo ( Heartbreaker )

They rehearsed that one in Paris last February and yes MT was ripping hot leads!
So who knows...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-02 15:02 by dcba.

Re: Set list discussions
Date: November 13, 2014 00:42

Some thoughts about today's set list. I write here, because I don't want the official concert thread to be spoiled with reflection like this.

So, the set list was:

1. Jumpin' Jack Flash
2. It's Only Rock'n'Roll
3. Respectable
4. Tumbling Dice
5. Sweet Virginia (Winner Song Vote)
6. Bitch
7. Paint It Black
8. Honky Tonk Women
-- Band Introductions --
9. You Got The Silver (Keith)
10. Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
11. Happy (Keith)
12. Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
13. Miss You
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Start Me Up
16. Sympathy For The Devil
17. Brown Sugar
-- ENCORE --
18. You Can't Always Get What You Want (with the Sydney Philharmonia)
19. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor)

Probably due to Mick's voice problems, two 'recent' songs were dropped - "Out of Control" and "Doom & Gloom". That omission made strikingly naked how oldie's oriented band the Rolling Stones AD 2014 is. Or to say it by other words: if this is a celebration run with the idea that of presenting their most familiar and beloved stuff, nothing has happened since "Start Me Up". 33 years of no song to be remembered! Thankfully, this is not the whole truth; "You Got Me Rocking" has been performed several times, as is Keith's "Can't Be Seen" and "Slipping Away". "Streets of Love" got one showing if memory serves. Are there others? ("One More Shot" during the early legs). But seemingly the absence of 33 years in their history does not really matter; in that diehards and casual fans seem to agree - as the enthusiasism towards the set list in concert thread shows.

It is funny to think that the released vaults series show of last week - HAMPTON - could have been consisted of the same songs that they play today - 33 years after! But comparing those set lists against each other show that the actual HAMPTON set list is actually 'newer'. About half of the songs derive from time period 1978-81 (13 out of 25); only 8 songs are from legendary 60's. Now the 60's got 9 out of nineteen, that is, almost half of the set (and none of them is any sort of 'surprise' number, as certain HAMPTON's numbers were ("Time Is In My Side", "Under My Thumb", "Let's Spend The Night Together", "Let It Bleed").

If we look today's set lit more closely, it reflects rather faithfully how the critics and fans agree what is the Stones at their very strongest. 12 out of 19 songs are from ther so called golden period, starting with "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and ending in EXILE ON MAIN STREET (the number in HAMPTON is that of 6 out of 25). Besides that there is three numbers from SOME GIRLS, the fifth big album to be added to the BigFour. One can also add the only represenative of the 80's, "Start Me Up", there to represent this latter day peak era. Plus there are two of their biggest hits from pre-JJF times ("Satisfaction" and "Paint It Black"). Throw there one "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" in, and there you have it. The 'best of' story of the Stones nicely in 19 songs.smoking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-13 00:48 by Doxa.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 13, 2014 00:57

So, the unexpected variation in yesterday's setlist was due to illness? About Doxa's post: I don't think anyone disputes the fact that they are, and have been for decades,
a revival band with a repertoire consisting of songs mainly from the sixties and seventies. Maybe we would only repeat ourselves if we dwelt into this once again?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 13, 2014 05:43

I wonder what the average age of the songs played on this tour is compAred to other tours. It would be a good litmus to see when the Stones started to believe that their older tunes were better than their new ones. When they quit believing in their own artist creativity and relying on proven hits from the distant past. Doxa ?

Also curious if they have ever played the exact same songs in different shows, even on different tours. Seems like a good possibility since they are kind of running out of surprises. Probably a lot of shows with only one song different is my guess. peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-13 06:47 by Naturalust.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: November 13, 2014 06:35

The thing that kills me is that they have such great ALBUMS. Lots of records that are fun to listen to, not just singles and hits compilations. I can't be pissed about them only playing their hits, since they have enough to fill an entire setlist. Many bands do not! Every single one of their hits is recognizable by casual listeners and fans.

The Licks tour spoiled me..

Date: November 13, 2014 17:42

Doom And Gloom (and One More Shot for a little while) aside, the 50 And Counting tour didn't exactly celebrate anything past 1981. You can't say 'oh they played You Got Me Rocking/Streets Of Love/Out Of Control' as for that not being true - there's nothing from 1983 onward (sans Keith's tunes) as part of the regular set list.

Ok so they've only had 6 studio LPs since 1981... hurrrrrrggggghhhh.

THEY STILL HAD SOME GOOD TUNES. And they're not playing them. Not on that tour and not on this tour.

THE BEACH STONES...

Date: November 13, 2014 17:47

>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2068
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home