Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Set lists now and then: is there a difference?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 29, 2014 16:34

J-J-Flash
Most of their hits were from 68-72?? Actually many of their hits were not in that period, JJF Flash, Satisfaction and so on.

When it comes to their set lists, its just as safe as can be and the band on auto-pilot. Yes they can bring energy to the same songs if they are at a festival or being recorded, but I just think most of it is laziness.

Agree with hound dog, would casual fans come home disappointed if they heard Beast of Burden or Under My Thumb instead of Miss You. No Security tour got great reviews everywhere and they left off some of the usual warhorses.

JJF is 1968. Yeah yeah they had hits pre-1968. But when you consider the Hot Rocks, the songs they're famous famous for, starting in 1968 into 1972 you've got JJF, SFM, SFTD, Gimme Shelter, Honky Tonk Women, Midnight Rambler, Brown Sugar, Tumbling Dice and Happy... 12 if you want to throw Wild Horses, YCAGWYW and, although it's a stretch, Rocks Off.

Although the second show of the Down Under tour has a bit more diverse set list than the first show. Kind of. But we know that a handfull of those 12 songs will always be played, just as they have been (some less than others) since 1969.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: October 29, 2014 16:36

I think it always depends on the time span you attended already the concerts. For me the only song which they always played on every show was ........
You would not believe it........

Yes: Tumbling Dice.
And that is since 1976.

Close come Brown Sugar and Jumping Jack Flash. I did hear most of the songs live at least once which I wanted to hear. I am missing Far Away Eyes though. But what the heck?
There is no band alive which still rocks that way nearly all around the globe.

Date: October 29, 2014 17:06

The set lists from 1969-1970 are similar but they evolved the 1969 set in 1970 to include some STICKY FINGERS tracks. They basically stuck with that set list for that year and what shows they did in 1971.

So that's... boring?

1972-first half of 1973 it was a big change - more new songs and a focused Hot Rocks set of tracks with JJF, SFM, Brown Sugar, YCAGWYW and Gimme Shelter.

Fall of 1973 you got the GHS tracks being plugged in to the EXILE set list, which had evolved from but still had the frame of the 1969-70-71 set lists...

Pretty boring, right?

1975-1976 was off the charts, and then the 1978 tour was insane. 1981-82, although practically exactly the same, were different yet again from the previous tour yet alone tours.

It wasn't until 1989-90 that the set list we have come to know was established. Kind of. Maybe. By that point they were seemingly obligated to play the Hot Rocks songs and continue to to this day, the exception being the NO SECURITY/BRIDGES 1999 tours when they changed it up a good bit.

Yet the VOODOO and BRIDGES (97-98 anyway)tours were not so heavily dependent on the focused Hot Rocks tracks en mass and they indeed focused on a few odd tracks as well as new tracks from the new LPs.

Then there was the LICKS tour...

So they've been quite diverse (although the BANG tour was a joke, really). It's just that the big songs get more repeat plays than the other songs and somehow the newer Hot Rocks tracks get more plays as well. Take away the Hot Rocks tracks and the set lists have been pretty damn good actually over the past few tours...

Date: October 29, 2014 17:11

<It wasn't until 1989-90 that the set list we have come to know was established. Kind of.>

I'd say the setlists on the SW were magnificent. However, it was the first time they lumped many (not as many as today, mind you) late 60s/early 70s songs toward the ending.

Here's a 1989 setlist:

01 Start me up
02 Bitch
03 Sad sad sad
04 Undercover
05 Harlem shuffle
06 Tumbling dice
07 Miss you
08 Terrifying
09 Ruby Tuesday
10 Salt of de earth Axl Rose & Izzy Stradlin
11 Rock and hard place
12 Mixed emotions
13 Honky tonk woman
14 Midnight Rambler
15 You can't always get what you want
16 Little red rooster Eric Clapton
17 Boogie chillen Eric Clapton & John Lee Hooker
18 Can't bee seen
19 Happy
20 Paint it black
21 2000 light years from home
22 Sympathy for the Devil
23 Gimmie shelter
24 Introduction
25 It's only rock 'n roll
26 Brown sugar
27 Satisfaction
28 Jumping jack flash

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 29, 2014 17:27

In recent years, my complaint is that there's not that much set list variation from tour to tour. They've always kept a very similar set from show to show that slowly evolved throughout the tour. That's been their MO. I've never had an issue with that.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: October 29, 2014 17:38

awesome setlists on the Licks tour were not just the club shows or the cities that got all 3 venue types...I was front row at this on a Monday night arena show in Cleveland, they got one single show...imagine them playing anything remotely like this now in a smaller market US city....the double encore with Rambler...just so sick.

Street Fighting Man
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
If You Can't Rock Me
Don't Stop
Live with Me
Sweet Virginia
Loving Cup
All Down the Line
Rocks Off
Tumbling Dice
Slipping Away
Before They Make Me Run
Start Me Up
I Can't Turn You Loose
Honky Tonk Women
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Stray Cat Blues
Like a Rolling Stone
Brown Sugar

Midnight Rambler
Jumpin' Jack Flash

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-29 17:38 by mnewman505.

Date: October 29, 2014 17:46

Gimme Shelter has become quite a staple over the years... and I'd rather hear Gimme Shelter than SFTD anyday anynight anytime.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 29, 2014 18:40

DandelionPowderman
It isn't really true that the fans who follow the band on tour don't get surprises.

There are fans going to way more shows than I do, but on the four shows I attended I got the following songs that I've never seen in concert before:

I Wanna Be Your Man
Get Off Of My Cloud
The Last Time
Out Of Control
It's All Over Now
Going Down
One More Shot
Doom And Gloom
Beast Of Burden
Worried About You
Emotional Rescue
She's So Cold

It could be more variation, of course, but is this really so bad for four shows?

You were lucky and picked four good shows. They usually mix it up a bit in London anyway. Quite a few of those you mentioned were only played on the early dates of the recent World tour. Now they have settled into a fairly predictable set list.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 29, 2014 20:02

The font is bigger now.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: October 29, 2014 21:04

For me the issue is no longer WHAT they play, but HOW they play it. I love the non-warhorses, but even more important to me is that when I go see the Stones, I don't want the show to be too much like the last show I attended. I have seen the Stones 10 times over the past 34 years... I loved it each and every time, but I must say, many of the songs, especially the warhorses, and their arrangements, have barely changed at all. If you are going to haul out the same 10+ warhorses for each tour, I would totally love it if we got some greater variation on how those warhorses are played. Think Time Is On My Side (1981) and how different it was from the early days. Listen to Satisfaction from the Leeds/ Marquee 1971 shows, or Factory Girl when it was first brought out in '90. I am quite tired of hearing that same Chuck Berry intro to IORR that we have heard for the past how many tours? And Tumbling Dice? How about tweaking these a bit, so you can satisfy the casual fans (just by playing the song) and the rest of us by giving us a new flavor of the old faves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-29 21:04 by Tate.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: October 29, 2014 22:28

Doxa
Everytime the Stones hit the road there seem to arise a debate concerning their set list choices. Discussing that kind of thing seems inappropriate in concert threads, so I decided to start a thread of its own to these matters. My intention is not to take sides on the debate, but just to discuss about it with the fellow IORRians in a friendly manner. Perhaps even some misunderstandings could be straighten out, who knows. I hope some further discussions concerning anything about their setlists - now and then - might develop in a best IORRian fashion...grinning smiley

There seems to be two issues involved in a recent 'debate': one concerns the amount of songs varying from one concert to other. Call it 'varying the setlist problem'. The other concerns the amount of 'greatest hits' in the set list. Call it 'war horses problem'. These issues can be sometimes linked, but I think it is healthy to undestand that they do differ from a bottom.

-----

Like people have noticed, the current tour - especially in the form it took in Europe, and now it looks continuing similarly in Australia - does not differ from the classical tours they did in the seventies. Like then, from 1969 to 1982, they do not vary a setlist much. First shows were like testing some possible songs until they find the ones that would work fine, and the rest of the tours were going through with fixed sets. So any show of a given tour was based on more or less similar 'story'; the same opening songs, same sequence of songs, same final numbers. In that way each tour seemed to have an identity of its own; how the shows were builded on. It looks like that only 00's tours LICKS and A BIGGER BANG TOUR seemed to be radically different in that sense compared to old days and now. Of course, even those 'wild days' they didn't pick up any Bob Dylan routine, but still probably enough that some fans still have expectations based on them (funnily, Dylan himself, famous for varying setlists for ages, has now adopted a habit of playing more or less teh same set every night). But let it be noted that the Stones still do more obscure one-timers than they did in 'classical' days. They almost never do that in their legendary past. The amount of different songs they have played during the current tour (I take that to start in 2012) is still impressive.

Even though I said I won't take sides here, I need to say that as far as 'varying a setlist problem' goes, I think the criticism is not fully justified, at least if we take history into account. The idea of varying setlists is a rather new phenomenon. Probably even a speciality of 00's tours. I also kind of like the conservatism here: people all around the world will get about the same show, a kind of same product the Stones at the moment are. The people who follow them from gig to gig are are not the target audience, so their 'complaints' of them not offering enough surprises and variance is a bit misguided. Of course, internet offers a chance for everyone to follow the tour closely, but still, in the end, it is teh people at the shows and their experience and opinion that count the most.

----

What goes for the other issue - 'war horses problem' - there we find some major differences between the present and the past. They have never played so greatest hits heavy set as they tend to do now. That seems to be a leading artistic choice. For argument's sake I define 'war horse' in a following way: a song that is (a) played before the current tour, (b) generally a familiar tune (released in greatest hits collections, radio-friendly, etc.), (c) not released very recently.

So, if we start from 1969, they played about only one 'war horse' ("Satisfaction") then. Things like "Jumpin' Jack Flash", "Honky Tonk Women", "Sympathy For The Devil", "Midnight Rambler" etc. that were some day to be war horses, were all new current songs. Actually about each new tour all the way into 1981/82 produced a new upcoming war horse ("Brown Sugar", "Tumblin Dice", "It's Only Rock'n'Roll", "Miss You", "Start Me Up" ), but they were something else at the time when played for the first time. So, by same logic, 1972 had about four 'safe and sure' already live tested old hit numbers ("Jumping Jack Flash", "Street Fighting Man", "Midnight Rambler", "Honky Tonk Women") along with new fresh material ("You Can't Always Get What You Want", "Gimme Shelter", as I take "Brown Sugar" as well, belonging to the latter). STICKY FINGERS material was altogether still fresh stuff for their audiences in 1972 and 1973. Four war horses out of, say, 15 songs, was not much yet.

1975/76 tour, with its longer sets, offered more room for war horses. There were - what? - "Honky Tonk", "Flash", "Fightin Man", "Rambler" and "Angie" some nights, "Brown Sugar", "Sympathy", "Happy", "Dice", "Can't Always Get"... Altogether 1975 started to sound like 'greatest hits of 1968-73" to be offered with some new fresh material from IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL plus an odd gem from a past ("Get Off of My Cloud"). Clearly most of the songs were familiar from their earlier tours.

But things got different in the following tours. The Stones relied more on recent material (again), and seemingly rethought their 'war horses' selection. A typical show from 1978 had about 6 to 8 proper war horses typical for previous tours ("Honky Tonk", ""Street Fighting Man", "Happy", "Brown Sugar", "Dice", "Flash" with not so obvious "All Down The Line", "Star Star"; "Love In Vain" found its way back). 1981/82 tour also put war horses into circulation. A typical show of 1981 was based about half or even more on the material they had released within the last three years. There seem to be only about 5 warhorses ("Dice", "All Down The Line", "Honky Tonk", "Can't Always Get", "Brown Sugar") in their 29 song set list. They did, though, introduce a league of songs from the past they had never performed or had done it for ages ("Under My Thumb", "Let's Spend The Night Together", "Time is On My Side", "Let It Bleed", plus a rarity called "Satisfaction"). It is noteworthy that the upcoming DVD releases from 1975 and 1981 have only 5 songs in common! The variance in songlists between the tours sounds almost unbelievable by today's standards.

In a way, 1989/90 tour continued the theme of 1981/82 by widing up their historical past (by paying attention to pre-JJF material, that is), by picking up things like "Paint It Black", "Ruby Tuesday" and "2000 Light Years From Home" into their regular setlists. But at the same time the amount of war horses started to grow; all their signature big hits from "Satisfaction" to "Start Me Up" were played, together with great past show highlights "Gimme Shelter", "Sympathy For The Devil", "Street Fighting Man", occasionally "Midnight Rambler", etc. even though some of them had been resting for a while... One could say that a typical modern Rolling Stones show was created then. The same tendency, namely, continued in the following years, the amount of fresh songs - a new song or a rarity from the past - didn't have much room alongside the war horses parade. Probably NO SECURITY tour was an exception to a rule. But like noted above, the set lists variations between the shows (but not between the tours), and a sudden rarity one-timer (LICKS TOUR, A BIGGER BANG TOUR) showed a new approach. There is not many high profile concert along the years that would not consist at least halfly of the same numbers.

14 ON FIRE TOUR, with rather fixed setlists, is an outcome of the development starting in 1989. Some 13/14 or so songs out of their regular 19 song set list are more or less war horses. "Jumpin Jack Flash", "Tumblin Dice", "It's Only Rock'n'Roll", "Honky Tonk Women", "Midnight Rambler", "Miss You", "Brown Sugar", "Paint It Black" (rather often), "Start Me Up", "Gimme Shelter", "Can't Always Get", "Sympathy For The Devil", "Satisfaction"... of those old obvious songs, "Street Fighting Man" has put into rest, or to the league of potential surprises with "Angie", "Ruby Tuesday", "Let's Spend The Night Together", "Wild Horses" - each of them being familiar crowd pleasers. All of them are played many, many times during the last quarter century. Tells something of the caliber of the band when classical songs like that are in a variation...

Well, that was the statistics - just to show that things have changed along the years as far as the 'war horses problem' go. I wrote it quickly out of memory, so some facts might be incorrect. I'd love to be more specific (analysize the tour set lists more closely tour by tour, be more careful with my 'war horses' notion, etc.), but I don't have time and patience right now, and since I already have used too much space, I just hurry up to conclusions.

First of all, I think the Stones didn't play that much 'war horses' from 1969 to 1982, probably 1975/76 was an exception. They were about four/five songs they seemed to do every tour, the others were in a circulation, and almost each tour introduced new potential 'war horses', but which were fresh at the time. The latter was possible because they still would add new killer songs, and they still had great, classical status songs in the 'vaults' they had not utilized yet (or for a very long time). The result is that the setlists vary quite a lot from tour to tour.

Secondly, 14 ON TOUR is like a best of collection of the war horses songs created from their tours since STEEL WHEELS/URBAN JUNGLE tour. True that many of the songs got that status already during the earlier period, but it is the constant play since 1989 that has cemented their status. The result is that there is not much variance among the bulk of songs between the tours (unlike earlier). The difference is also that of inwhereas earlier a 'war horse' was a sure gig highlight to be thrown in a right moment to cheer up the crowd, now such a crowd pleasing function is a presupposition of almost any song. I think that has made many people to think that a Rolling Stones show cannot be satisfying without hearing certain familiar songs - their 'best songs'. This thinking seem to prevail both in 'casual' and 'hardcore' fan sections. By contrast, it is unbelievable now to think that the Stones 'managed' to go through the seventies without almost playing "Satisfaction" at all, their most famous song ever.

Okay, there is a lot to be added, but I stop now. But I will continue...winking smiley I hope that my intention in keeping this discussion 'civil' is appreciated. This is similar fact based issue than anything connected to the Rolling Stones we have discussed here along the years, and we might have differing opinions how to interpret what we observe and perceive. It is not sensible to 'spoil' specific concert threads with 'general' issues like this. Nor I hope this kind of discussion belong either to that shapeless 'complaints' thread. Because it is nothing to do with that. Thank you.smileys with beer

- Doxa

Huge difference. When they release a new album they are afraid to play the songs - See ABB and BTB. and they dropped Love Is Strong for Sympathy.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 29, 2014 22:56

BTW, both sides are right on this.

Side A - The Stones are playing 19-20 of the greatest songs in rocknroll history. Every fan who wishes they'd play Had It With You or Little Queenie (me) there are 50,000 who just want to hear Start Me Up... again. SMU is a GREAT song. Great riff, fun song, classic. Me arguing for obscure songs is really a fight against the billboard charts. Everyone in the world knows JJF, BS, Satisfaction, IORR, etc... etc... And they should. These are great songs. The Stones are currently playing the best songs that they have. An A+ setlist to anyone, including us hardcore fans.

Side B - They have written so much music. Incredible treasure troves of music... yet they play only 10% of the total catalog over the course of a tour. It is unfair to think that at their age they will suddenly turn into Phish overnight and start playing themed setlists or complete albums. This is not the Licks tour afterall... but I think we are seeing a massive missed opportunity. The Stones together... 'primetimers', and the songs rarely change.

I think the adventurous Stones who challenge the audience and push the limits are gone.. Instead, we are left with a very conservative band who are playing it safe with the setlist every night. The vast majority of folks at the show are pleased with the setlist.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: October 30, 2014 00:28

This thread allowed me to have some fun with the lists I've kept from my personal set lists.

I have seen 21 shows (beginning in 1981 at MSG and continuing thru their last US show in 2013 at the Verizon Center in DC) and over that time have heard:

460 total songs (an average of 22 per show);

125 different songs;

44 songs just once (I've had a few "rarities" such as She Smiled Sweetly, That's How Strong My Love is, I'm Free, She Was Hot and Might As Well Get Juiced--if i include the blues version of 19th Newvous Breakdown, I guess its 45!);

4 songs at EVERY show (Honkey Tonk Women, Jumping Jack Flash, Start Me Up and Brown Sugar--Satisfaction and Tumbling Dice were played at every show I've seen, but Roseland); and

5 song at more than half (Gimme Shelter and YCAGWYY - 12, IORR and Miss You - 16 and Sympathy for the Devil - 17)

So...
as much as I'd love more variety and more rarities and to be able to pick the setlist for every show I go to, looking over those numbers, it seems to me that the Stones have done a decent job of mixing it up over the 32 years I've been going to shows.

If they wanted to change their focus and play to an audience of fanatics like us, maybe we'd still have a chance to get Memo From Turner or Yellow Cab, but for the rest of those who go to their shows, they are giving them a good show and most walk away pretty satisfied.

At this point, my goal is to come away from every show with at least one song played that I havent heard before and generally they have delivered.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this adds anyting to the conversation, but I had a few free minutes and thought I'd toss it out there!

Posted by: saintmick ()
Date: October 30, 2014 00:45

I know quite a few people who had Satisfaction only once, Brown Sugar only once, Sympathy only once, as well as Miss You, Start Me Up, JJF, TD, Shelter and some more of their warhorses.

They only went once, and that's what they came for. They had a blast, an unforgettable night out with the Stones.

Maybe we should go less often to still be happy with those songs. Less is more?

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 30, 2014 03:05

Proving more interesting is the fact that one seldom hears other groups' fans moan over setlists. For example I've never heard a Springsteen fan complain hearing his warhorses-Born to Run, BadLands, Thunder Road, and Dancing in the Dark. I wanted to include Rosalita & Hungry Heart but he actually plays these songs infrequently.Personally, I would go home empty handed if the ESB didn't play BTR, BL, TR or even Rosalita. Songs such as Better Days, Lucky Town, Talk to Me are always welcomed bonuses.

One thing for sure he definitely varies the setlist from show to show.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 30, 2014 03:59

To keep it short....................hardly

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 30, 2014 05:19

The Stones have long since sacrificed challenging set lists in order to please the majority of concert goers and guarantee a decent show.

I can't really imagine that it is nearly as fun for them. Sure they are getting paid big $ and that I would imagine is the motivation. But when was the last time they actually went out on a limb and challenged themselves?

Keith says he likes playing JJF every time but I can't even imagine having to play it (basically the same way) for the 500th time. And I can't imagine people going to multiple shows and seeing the same tunes played the same way again and again.

In a way, a Rolling Stones concert these days is attractive because it is a Rock show and there is loads of energy and excitement from the audience, but I for one have lost a bit excitement over the live music.

Still a huge fan, just a bit jaded about the same old songs, played the same old way live. Love to see them improvise for a whole set, fall on their faces and maybe stumble into some magic....at least since the Dead are no longer doing it. winking smiley The guests are about the most exciting thing but even they seem to be a bit limited in what they are allowed to do.

So give me a few dates with all different tunes being played and I'll go to every one and be damn happy, even if they do have a bad night. peace

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 30, 2014 10:57

Naturalust
The Stones have long since sacrificed challenging set lists in order to please the majority of concert goers and guarantee a decent show.

I can't really imagine that it is nearly as fun for them. Sure they are getting paid big $ and that I would imagine is the motivation. But when was the last time they actually went out on a limb and challenged themselves?

Keith says he likes playing JJF every time but I can't even imagine having to play it (basically the same way) for the 500th time. And I can't imagine people going to multiple shows and seeing the same tunes played the same way again and again.

In a way, a Rolling Stones concert these days is attractive because it is a Rock show and there is loads of energy and excitement from the audience, but I for one have lost a bit excitement over the live music.

Still a huge fan, just a bit jaded about the same old songs, played the same old way live. Love to see them improvise for a whole set, fall on their faces and maybe stumble into some magic....at least since the Dead are no longer doing it. winking smiley The guests are about the most exciting thing but even they seem to be a bit limited in what they are allowed to do.
So give me a few dates with all different tunes being played and I'll go to every one and be damn happy, even if they do have a bad night. peace

Interesting to read this in the light of Keith's decision to do Can't Be Seen in reent shows. It ticks the right boxes: it's from a later album, it isn't one of his warhorses and it has the potential to be very good indeed. But it's also occasionally wonderful in parts but often a mess - the Dead-style "fall on their faces and maybe stumble into some magic". Opinion is divided on whether he should (a) drop it now because he can't get it right or (b) carry on regardless in the hope that somewhere some night, it will click and we'll get a transcendent performance.

Now imagine a whole show of Can't Be Seens...

Date: October 30, 2014 11:06

Naturalust

This show was pretty daring, I'd say smiling smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 30, 2014 12:09

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

This show was pretty daring, I'd say smiling smiley

You made me unable to abstain like I use to do, Dandelion, I do not want to be a whiner:

Wasn’t that the treat from a moment of inspiration out of all ordinary to an audience of conscious concert goers happily free from all kinds of Stones nostalgia? In contrast to the seldom changing diet of mostly far from newly created songs to the conventional Stones crowds of sedate old Stones fans, younger Stones fans most of all craving the warhorses, which they not so often have been met with in live concerts, besides Stones fans for a day and the occasion seekers?

I acknowledge that concerts are for the majority. The material is all great and played in an accomplished way. It must be a dream for those, who have not had many experiences of Stones music. The concerts are, of course, great occasions for me in the minority , too. But not as great, possibly far from it, as not so perfectly played concerts would have been, featuring few and varying warhorses and many songs out of the usual order. Best of all, if the concerts would have included numerous new songs from a hypothetically recorded new studio album. (I will not here, as well, enter into wishes for one certain guitarist to be on stage for all songs.)

I won’t criticize the band for not doing as suggested. I instead like to praise them for what they do. But I can’t sincerely praise them fully as high as I could and would have done in the to me preferred state of things.

Date: October 30, 2014 12:24

I agree, Witness, but Naturalust asked when was the last time they really challenged themselves.

I think Glastonbury is a good example, because in a way they had to.

But I could easily mention London, November 2012. A show with lots of surprises. Add that many doubted Keith's ability to play at all, the feud between Mick and Keith etc.

We musn't forget that they're in their 70s. So, when they're bringing on Silver Train, Around And Around, Memory Motel or 2000 Light Years From Home, they're taking risks, imo.

Posted by: PhilipStaniforth ()
Date: October 30, 2014 13:03

I've seen multiple dates on all the tours since 1990. I love hearing the rarer songs but I was really disappointed when they missed Satisfaction on the first O2 night.

There are five or six songs the Stones have to play.

Date: October 30, 2014 13:09

PhilipStaniforth
I've seen multiple dates on all the tours since 1990. I love hearing the rarer songs but I was really disappointed when they missed Satisfaction on the first O2 night.

There are five or six songs the Stones have to play.

It was on the setlist, though.

Blame the Tube strike smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 30, 2014 15:22

DandelionPowderman
I agree, Witness, but Naturalust asked when was the last time they really challenged themselves.

I think Glastonbury is a good example, because in a way they had to.

But I could easily mention London, November 2012. A show with lots of surprises. Add that many doubted Keith's ability to play at all, the feud between Mick and Keith etc.

We musn't forget that they're in their 70s. So, when they're bringing on Silver Train, Around And Around, Memory Motel or 2000 Light Years From Home, they're taking risks, imo.

thumbs up

Date: October 30, 2014 16:30

They have more overdubs with their recent set lists than they used to?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 30, 2014 17:04

DandelionPowderman
<It wasn't until 1989-90 that the set list we have come to know was established. Kind of.>

I'd say the setlists on the SW were magnificent. However, it was the first time they lumped many (not as many as today, mind you) late 60s/early 70s songs toward the ending.

Here's a 1989 setlist:

01 Start me up
02 Bitch
03 Sad sad sad
04 Undercover
05 Harlem shuffle
06 Tumbling dice
07 Miss you
08 Terrifying
09 Ruby Tuesday
10 Salt of de earth Axl Rose & Izzy Stradlin
11 Rock and hard place
12 Mixed emotions
13 Honky tonk woman
14 Midnight Rambler
15 You can't always get what you want
16 Little red rooster Eric Clapton
17 Boogie chillen Eric Clapton & John Lee Hooker
18 Can't bee seen
19 Happy
20 Paint it black
21 2000 light years from home
22 Sympathy for the Devil
23 Gimmie shelter
24 Introduction
25 It's only rock 'n roll
26 Brown sugar
27 Satisfaction
28 Jumping jack flash

Yeah, the problem towards 1989/90 tour seems to be the tours that took place after it, resembling it too much... It is easily forgotten how different and adventurous the set list was in 1989/90, and it's not its 'fault' that they found there a winner concept that they would utilize ever since. This particular show is not a best examplary, since it most probably is the most interesting show setlistwise in thar tour - having such rarities as "Boogie Chillen" and "Salt of the Earth" wih extraordinary guests. But despite that, some general observations of a typical 1989/90 gig can be done.

There are 28 songs, and only 8 songs are same ones they played constantly during 1981/82 tour (like they do still now). 22 'new' ones! The 1978-82 tour heavily based on new material (then); 1978 tour played almost the whole SOME GIRLS album, and about half of the songs in 1981/82 tour were from SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE and TATTOO YOU. Now (1989) it looks like that whole period is forgotten; only big hits "Start Me Up" and "Miss You" are left.

The anthemic songs, and highlights from early 70's shows, "Gimme Shelter", "Sympathy For The Devil" and "Midnight Rambler" that seemingly didn't fit to 'punk period', are back in, first time since 1976! They surely weren't 'war horses' in 1989, that is! Now (2014) sounds almost impossible to think a Stones show without them.

Besides those, the band introduced old songs they haven't played ever or for ages - "Bitch", "Paint It Black", "Ruby Tuesday" - but which would be rather much in rotation ever since. "2000 Light Years From Home" was "Time is On My Side" (1981/82) or "Not Fade Away" (1994/95) kind of oddity of that tour, not played much since. "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" is a war horse now, but, however, the song was dropped from setlists after since heyday (1975/76). Seemingly in 1989/90 they decided that it is a 'big song', and belong to the list of their classic songs that needs to be played much.

Add there 7 recent numbers from UNDERCOVER to STEEL WHEELS, and some oddities like "Little Red Rooster", the result is that the Stones gave 1989/90 a show that offered the most balanced picture of their career they had ever done before. They actually haven't had such a historically-oriented consciousness and era 'neutral' approach earlier, but always relied on the recent material and sound, which made the elder ones to sound 'old-fashionable'. I mean, in 1969 there was not much, if anything, pre-Jumping Jack Flash Stones left, when this new hard rocking, flashy guitar blues band was introduced. In 1978 they wanted to get rid of that rock anthem-based guitar solo heavy 'super band' in order to give room for this new, punk kicked, back to basics band. It needs to be noted that in 1989, this altogether new 'historically neutral' approach was married with the idea that the songs would be performed according to their original studio versions. The days of 'road versions', based on their recent sound, were gone.

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-30 17:22 by Doxa.

Date: October 30, 2014 17:15

Yeah, they threw in a few for the PPV. But here is the setlist from the first and the last show on the SW/UJ tours. As we can see, something happened along the way - the setlist became safer and more predictable when they started the UJ-tour:

Opening night - SW tour:

"Intro: Continental Drift"
"Start Me Up"
"Bitch"
"Shattered"
"Sad Sad Sad"
"Undercover of the Night"
"Harlem Shuffle" (Relf/Nelson)
"Tumbling Dice"
"Miss You"
"Ruby Tuesday"
"Play With Fire" (Nanker Phelge)
"Dead Flowers"
"One Hit (to the Body)" (Jagger/Richards/Wood)
"Mixed Emotions"
"Honky Tonk Women"
"Rock and a Hard Place"
"Midnight Rambler"
"You Can't Always Get What You Want"
"Little Red Rooster" (Dixon)
"Before They Make Me Run"
"Happy"
"Paint It Black"
"2000 Light Years from Home"
"Sympathy for the Devil"
"Gimme Shelter"
"It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)"
"Brown Sugar"
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
"Jumpin' Jack Flash" (encore)

Final night of the Urban Jungle Tour:

"Start Me Up"
"Sad Sad Sad"
"Harlem Shuffle"
"Tumbling Dice"
"Miss You"
"Ruby Tuesday"
"Angie"
"Rock and a Hard Place"
"Mixed Emotions"
"Honky Tonk Women"
"Midnight Rambler"
"You Can't Always Get What You Want"
"Before They Make Me Run"
"Happy"
"Paint It Black"
"2000 Light Years from Home"
"Sympathy for the Devil"
"Street Fighting Man"
"Gimme Shelter"
"It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)"
"Brown Sugar"
"Jumpin' Jack Flash"
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" (encore)

Other songs played on the tours:

"Almost Hear You Sigh" (Jagger/Richards/Jordan)
"Blinded By Love"
"Boogie Chillen" (Hooker)
"Can't Be Seen"
"Factory Girl"
"I Just Want to Make Love to You" (Dixon)
"Salt of the Earth"
"Terrifying"

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 30, 2014 18:39

You'd have thought it would be the opposite but instead of loosening up and throwing more rarities as the tour moves on they actually play it safer. Weird.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 30, 2014 18:45

Yep, I'll admit Glastonbury Girl was a bit of a risk musically (well maybe more than a bit), but since it was played in Glastonbury almost guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser.

I also admit that I loved seeing 2000 Light Years from home on the 1989 tour, in fact it was probably my favorite and most memorable song from their set when I saw them in LA that year.

Can't Be Seen, ok that too was risky, and hardly polished. Probably, another good example of them challenging themselves, but I notice Mick is nowhere in sight for this, more like something from a Wino's show. And no, I can't imagine whole show of Can't Be Seens unless it was a Keith solo show.

Doxa and DP both make great points about the set lists and are more learned than me about them. I guess I'm just sad that one of my favorite bands have less great new material to please me, and are charging too much money for a decent seat at their shows too hear mostly the same songs.

I think the Stones have just grown to a point where they have become crowd pleasers, and a certain sense of artistic growth is lost as a result. People like Neil Young, Bob Dylan and the Allman Brothers don't seem to have fallen into this trap and I wish the Stones hadn't either. peace

Date: October 30, 2014 18:58

The problem with the set list now is there is not much difference from tour to tour.

There used to be major differences from one tour to the next.

The Steel Wheels tour had a much different set list from '81 / '82. The Voodoo Lounge tour had a much different set list from the Steel Wheels tour. The Bridges to Babylon tour had a much different set list from the 3 prior tours and even the No Security tour had a different set list compared to Bridges to Babylon.

After that,the Licks tour was a mixed bag depending on the specific show. There were some good song selections for the first half of the tour which,for the most part,seemed to largely disappear during the second half of that tour when they seemed to rely more heavily on songs from the '90's tours such as "Monkey Man" , "Rocks Off" , "Bitch" etc. .

Since then,with a few notable exceptions,they seem to just recycle the same "rare" live songs when they select non-warhorses.

The 19 song set list is a huge factor as well. It doesn't leave much room to maneuver.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1732
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home