Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Route 66 Road Trip
Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: October 24, 2014 13:05

This something I've been wanting to do for a while and thinking about doing it sometime next year. Starting in Joplin and ending in Flagstaff, of course not the whole Route 66, and taking a flight back to the east coast from Flagstaff. Has anyone made this trip? Places to eat and stay? Places to check out?

Re: OT - Route 66 Road Trip
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 24, 2014 13:19

I did Rt 66, during the 50 & Counting... Tour. Chicago to Santa Monica in 17 days.

I did a bunch of other travelling during that trip, but there are some Rt 66 pics in this thread.
[www.iorr.org]

The Rock Cafe and Midpoint Cafe should be eaten at. You should also stay at the Wigwam Motel. There are 2 of them on 66. The Cactus Inn in McLean, Tx was nice for an iconic mom and pop's motel. Same with the Blue Swallow.

Feel free to ask any questions. I ate and stayed at a bunch of places on 66.

I recommend this book/maps.
[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-24 13:22 by MingSubu.

Posted by: LoveYouLive ()
Date: October 24, 2014 14:54

JohnnyBGoode
This something I've been wanting to do for a while and thinking about doing it sometime next year. Starting in Joplin and ending in Flagstaff, of course not the whole Route 66, and taking a flight back to the east coast from Flagstaff. Has anyone made this trip? Places to eat and stay? Places to check out?

I plan on doing it, the entire way to LA by car. My German (Stones Fans) friends expressed interest in doing via motorcycle when we were together earlier this year. I told them I would join them but not on a bike. However I totally understand the appeal.

Funny thing, I was discussing this with some French colleagues while on business in Paris last week and they couldn't understand why anyone would be interested in such a drive. They consider that part of America a cultural waste land. And unfortunately didn't know the song. I told them that you see a lot of different (great) parts of America especially if you were to go from Chicago all the way to LA.

Santa Fe was not on the final route but was on the original Route 66 and is definitely worth checking out. Great town with plenty of history and things to do. And the food! I would definitely recommend a stop there if you are in the area.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: October 24, 2014 15:11

I did (part of) this coming back from Phoenix back in 1974,some of it wasalready gone..check out the "cadillac ranch"(i think its in texas)....it'll be a fun trip

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 24, 2014 17:01

A decent rt 66 forum. I got a lot of info from here.

[forum.historic66.com]

Posted by: vintage stone ()
Date: October 24, 2014 23:07

here is a tip where i´ve been last year between the Stones Shows i visit 2013.

[m.youtube.com]

[de.m.wikipedia.org])

[www.amboyroute66.com]

Have a Good Trip.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1542
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home