Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

A harp that sounds like Mick's
Posted by: TomGreen ()
Date: October 21, 2014 00:14

I know I and others have asked about Mick's live harp on Out of Control (an also on others apparently?) a few times, but can anyone please provide me with what I need to be seraching for on eBay to get a similiar sounding harp, or better still links?

I know you obviously need to be able to play it correctly in order to get the right sound, but nothing I have ever previously bought sounds anything like the one Mick uses on Out of Control in concert. I definitely think it's a key/tone issue.

Re: A harp that sounds like Mick's
Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: October 21, 2014 00:42

I think Mick may use Filisko harps or at least he did. Custom made harps..then he plays electric not acoustic which means he plugs a mic into an amp that is driven rather than just the PA.

I would suggest a well tuned Marine band special 20 into a small tube amp like a Fender Blues Jr.

Posted by: TDive25 ()
Date: October 21, 2014 01:50

He used Lee Oskar in the Voodoo Lounge years, don't know about now...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lee-Oskar-Major-Diatonic-Harmonica/dp/B000Q847LE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-21 01:53 by TDive25.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: October 21, 2014 01:58

I would add that an amateur will find it a lot easier to sound like Mick with a blues harp vs. a marine band harp.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 21, 2014 02:41

Marine band harp, small tube amp, and the right kind of mic should do the trick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-21 02:48 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: October 21, 2014 05:44

As a harp player (and vocalist), I was very much first inspired to play by Mick's playing on "Midnight Rambler", "Stop Breaking Down", and the like. Then I started studying folks like James Cotton, Magic Dick, Paul Butterfield. What I have discovered is that their particular "sounds" have less to do with gear and far more to do with how they "cup" a mic and their breathing and tongue techniques and such.

Bullet mics, such as shown by 71Tele, are favored by most, as well as various tube amps (a popular favorite is the Fender Bassman). But I have found a lot of this stuff to be incredibly overpriced because every harp player wants that. The original blues guys were grabbing whatever was there and cheap. Little Walter famously played what was in front of him (for the most part). I play through a Hot Rod Deville 212 (way too big but only way I can cut through those damn guitar players) with various old mics, but best sound I ever got was through an old solid state Peavey with a beat up Radio Shack mic. Just wasn't loud enough to play out.

There are many great harp sites if you're interested in more.

Date: October 21, 2014 11:24

71Tele
Marine band harp, small tube amp, and the right kind of mic should do the trick.

Ha! We just used that harp mic in the studio. The overdrive is sensational! thumbs up

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 21, 2014 11:55

For unknown reasons that pic frightens me.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: October 21, 2014 12:08

It comes new to me that jagger uses Filisko harps. Actually he doesn't really need these kind of harps, which are particularly suited to advanced techniques such as overbending, which Jagger doesn't use. To my knowledge, he still uses lee Oskars, but this information may not be up to date. I'll try to find some picture from the latest shows!

Date: October 21, 2014 12:14

Wild Slivovitz
It comes new to me that jagger uses Filisko harps. Actually he doesn't really need these kind of harps, which are particularly suited to advanced techniques such as overbending, which Jagger doesn't use. To my knowledge, he still uses lee Oskars, but this information may not be up to date. I'll try to find some picture from the latest shows!

Does he use a different harp for CYHMK and OOC? Maybe it's only for those songs that he uses the Filiskos?

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: October 21, 2014 16:01

Chris Fountain

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: October 21, 2014 21:16

Filisko harps are boutique and extremely expensive. The idea of spending more than 40 bucks on a harp is beyond me -- I own dozens though. In the moderate range of harmonicas I prefer the Hohner Pro harp -- I find it to be more durable. Any of the Hohners are fine down to the Big River price range which is a good bargain. Lee Oskars and Suzukis never did it for me.

Furthermore on mics -- there are myriad bullet mics as well as many variations of the Shure Green Bullet pictured. Like guitars two will not sound the same necessarily. Also a factor is the element -- a lot of the great blues sounds came from now antique mics with crystal elements. Unfortunately (as I have found!) they are extremely delicate and one drop to the floor or less will kill them.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 21, 2014 22:00

MILKYWAY
Chris Fountain

If that crazy thingmajig attacks you, don't come knocking on my door spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 21, 2014 23:50

Anyone play those chord harmonicas? Them things be crazy...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-21 23:52 by 71Tele.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 22, 2014 04:59

From what I've read over the years Mick has played harp through a bullet mic plugged into a Fender Champ turned all the way up.

Which I have done. And the sound is incredible. Details beyond that don't really matter. That's the real deal. You do that, you're fine.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: October 22, 2014 12:21

After a quick research it turned out that Jagger is allegedly playing "B-radical" customized harmonicas from Harrison Harmonicas...

[nelsakerlund.com]

I must say, I've never heard of such harmonicas before. Anyone tried them out already??

EDIT: maybe I didn't have time to get informed on these harmonicas, since it seems that the firm quickly ran out of business...: [www.hunterharp.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-22 14:24 by Wild Slivovitz.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1241
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home