Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT Greatest blues songs
Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: October 22, 2014 07:28

Rockman
... YEAH now that'd be friggin' WILD!!!! ... wouldn't it

Love your taste. !!!! .

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: October 22, 2014 07:34

The lists many have posted here are superb no doubt (Rockman you even made me go searching for a few of the numbers you listed and I loved everyone of them so thank you) but does it seem that nobody else here really digs more "contemporary" blues or blues that isn't steeped in the origins of it?

I'm glad I find the genre in a lot of music that isn't considered classic blues as it to me tells me that the blues one way or another is continuing to thrive albeit not as obviously as you'd find on a John Lee Hooker cd. Gotta admit from seeing Rockman's list I never realised so many blues dudes were blind smoking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 22, 2014 07:52

Here's some more .... Best heard after dark ....

Cool Down Mama - Lost John Hunter
I Be's Troubled - Muddy Waters - Library of Congress recording 1941
How Many More Years - Howling Wolf - Sam Phillips Memphis 1951
My Baby Walked Off- Howling Wolf - Sam Phillips Memphis 1951
Money Marbles & Chalk - Jimmy Rogers
Easy - Shaky Walter Horton
Cool Dispostion - Sonny Boy Williamson
Rock With Me Baby - Juke Boy Bonner
She Comes To See Me Sometimes - Joe Hill Louis
I Cant Be Satisfied - Muddy Waters
This Ain't No Place For Me - Slim Harpo
Murmer Low - Big Boy Spires
Crawling King Snake - John Lee Hooker
Katie May - Lightnin' Hopkins
Mystery Train - Little Junior Parker
44 Blues - Mose Vinson
I'm Gonna Murder My Baby - Pat Hare
Try Me One More Time - Willie Nix
Keep Away From My Baby - Joe Hill Louis
Cant Love Me And My Money Too - L.B Lawson
I'm A King Bee - Slim Harpo
Kid Man Blues - Big Maceo
Blood Stains On The Wall - Honeyboy
I'm Gonna Leave You Baby - Lazy Lester
Keep Your Arms Around Me Mama - Shakey Walter Horton
Baker Shop Boogie - Willie Nix
She's My Kinda Girl - Shy Guy Douglas
Rollin' And Tumblin' Pt 1 - Baby Face Leroy
Your Funeral And My Trial - Sonny Boy Williamson
Goin' Mad Blues - John Lee Hooker
Chicago Breakdown - Big Maceo
I'm A Man - Bo Diddley
Fish Tail - Johhny Shines
Walked All Night - Charlie Booker
I'll Be Around - Howling Wolf
My Home Is A Prison - Lonesome Sundown
I'm Gonna Whip You Baby - John Lee Hooker
Have To Let You Go - Lightnin' Hopkins
Sweet Home Chicago - Honey Boy Edwards

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 22, 2014 07:58

My word Rockee, looks like you know yer blues! I imagine you have them all on original vinyl too? peace

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 22, 2014 18:01

Great list Rockeeee!

Check your email when you get a chancecool smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 22, 2014 18:11

mitchrambler
dust my broom elmore james

Baby Please Set A Date is better!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 22, 2014 18:11

Naturalust
Thanks for those GasLightStreet. I'd heard about those tunes Jimmy Page stole from Willie Dixon and claimed he wrote but never heard the originals.

I hope Mr. Dixon got the royalties he deserved. peace

He did. His name appears in the song credits.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 22, 2014 19:10

OzHeavyThrobber
The lists many have posted here are superb no doubt (Rockman you even made me go searching for a few of the numbers you listed and I loved everyone of them so thank you) but does it seem that nobody else here really digs more "contemporary" blues or blues that isn't steeped in the origins of it?

I'm glad I find the genre in a lot of music that isn't considered classic blues as it to me tells me that the blues one way or another is continuing to thrive albeit not as obviously as you'd find on a John Lee Hooker cd. Gotta admit from seeing Rockman's list I never realised so many blues dudes were blind smoking smiley

I'm a big fan of current blues. Also a fan of the revivalist stuff from the 60's. I love the early electric blues of the 40's & 50's INCLUDING the jump blues/early r&b that Louis Jordan, etc. were doing. The 20's & 30's stuff that inspired all the rest were great as well. About the only era of blues that I’m not a “fan” of are the late 70’s and 80’s but that has less to do with the music than the production of the recordings. Like you, I’m glad that I can find enjoyment in the modern blues. It makes me optimistic that my band and my tastes may not be exclusive to myself and my friends.

The hardest thing about threads like these is the fact that the newer stuff hasn't had the benefit of age to mature in our collective/individual appreciation. At least that's one of the major obstacles in my mind. Example: While I may know that I love Keb' Mo's "Slow Down" or John Hammond's "Wicked Grin" albums, I don't know that I'd list them among classic blues albums that I would say everyone should own. Does that make sense?

Another thing that makes this kind of exercise difficult to include newer material is the fact that the newer stuff tends to be considered as "not authentic" therefore it doesn't get discussed in "general" settings. It's easy to defend posting pre-1950's blues tunes as they will very rarely get questioned as to their "authenticity". Post something from today and it's very easy for someone to accuse another of posting "blues-rock" or "soul" or "r&b". Much of what I consider to be blues can easily also be considered as "rock & roll", "soul", "r&b", etc. In a forum like this, I'd rather not have to defend myself when someone comes back and says "that's not real blues, it's soul". As a result, I'd rather abstain from the conversation than deal with the hassle/argument. Wouldn't surprise me if a few others think along the same lines.

OK. That should be enough of my rambling. How about some current/modern tunes/artists that may end up being considered part of the “greatest”

Samuel James is somewhat of a traditionalist. There are times that he can “scare” me in a way that I imagine is similar to the way Robert Johnson “scarred” KR, Clapton, etc.

North Mississippi Allstars are among my favorites from ANY era in ANY genre:

I didn’t know you could wear out a CD but I’m on my 3rd copy of this one:

Time to get back to work!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home