Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT Greatest blues songs
Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: October 16, 2014 11:58

Been going thru bit of a blues phase of l;ate and made my "greatest hits" cd of it.

Here's how it plays out:

No use in crying
See you hell in blind boy (Cooder)
My generation blues (Who)
Yer blues (Beatles)
Ride on (ACDC)
Cold shot (Stevie)
Back door man (Doors)
I can't quit you babe (Zeppelin)
You gotta move
Blind Willy McTell (Dylan)
Since I been loving you (Zeppelin)

Reckon I'd make some money if I was allowed to sell it smoking smiley

ps - incidental father bragging rights at play here.....my seven year old daughter bought a "She's a rainbow" t shirt for Perth in a cpl weeks. Her favourite song was RT, replaced by PIB and now she's driving me out of my skull with "Gimme shelter". I feel like the worst parent ever smiling at my little girl joyously singing along to a song about rape, murder and war. Doesn't seem so long ago my mother balling me out for listening to "Sympathy". How the wheel of life spins.

Re: OT Greatest blues songs
Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: October 16, 2014 12:07

thumbs upAye it is amazing how quickly life turns full circle...... Great songs BTW, great post.

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 16, 2014 13:20

OzHeavyThrobber
Been going thru bit of a blues phase of l;ate and made my "greatest hits" cd of it.

Here's how it plays out:

No use in crying
Yer blues (Beatles)
Ride on (ACDC)
Cold shot (Stevie)
Back door man (Doors)
You gotta move

Reckon I'd make some money if I was allowed to sell it smoking smiley

ps - incidental father bragging rights at play here.....my seven year old daughter bought a "She's a rainbow" t shirt for Perth in a cpl weeks. Her favourite song was RT, replaced by PIB and now she's driving me out of my skull with "Gimme shelter". I feel like the worst parent ever smiling at my little girl joyously singing along to a song about rape, murder and war. Doesn't seem so long ago my mother balling me out for listening to "Sympathy". How the wheel of life spins.

Great parenting skills their kyle. I'm using a convuluted and circuitous route to get my 6-year-old daughter to appreciate the Stones.

First it was The Beatles through the Yellow Submamrine cartoon at age 3. At age 4 I got her into Blondie and Pink Floyd's See Emily Play/Piper At Gates of Dawn with its child like imagery. And just recently she's been getting into Rockaway Beach, Sheena Is A Punk Rocker and other Ramones songs. The Stones must surely beckon.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 16, 2014 18:18

...some others...

Have You Ever Loved A Woman - (Derek and the Dominos)
Long Distance Call - (any live Muddy Waters version)
Going Down Slow - (Led Zeppelin from HTWWW-WLL)
9 Below Zero - (any Sonny Boy Williamson II version)
Smokestack Lightning - (Howlin' Wolf from the British Tours)

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 16, 2014 18:24

Yer Blues? no.......sorry

Date: October 16, 2014 18:29

A few of my all time favourites:

Leadbelly:

John Lee Hooker (with Canned Heat):

And since I'm seeing Michael Monroe's band in a couple of hours' time, I'll have to include this one (which I named my first band after, btw):

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 16, 2014 18:34

BluzDude
...some others...

Have You Ever Loved A Woman - (Derek and the Dominos)
Long Distance Call - (any live Muddy Waters version)
Going Down Slow - (Led Zeppelin from HTWWW-WLL)
9 Below Zero - (any Sonny Boy Williamson II version)
Smokestack Lightning - (Howlin' Wolf from the British Tours)

...and How can I forget The Jack - (AC/DC)
and perhaps Night Prowler -(AC/DC), while not a typical blues progression, still blues....

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: October 16, 2014 19:03

I think if you are talking great blues records, one shouldn't be choosing too much from after 1965. Start with the Smithsonian Blues albums. You will hear the originals and find out where your favourite line or lick from your favourite white band was ripped off from

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 16, 2014 19:10

Here are a few bluessongs from my vinyls:

Dirt Road Blues- Big Joe Williams
Stormy monday-Alexis Korner's All Stars Blues Incorporated
Labor Blues-Frank Stokes' Dream The Memphis Blues
Seven Come Eleven-Charlie Christian
Dusty Road-John Lee Hooker
Key To Love-The Bluesbrakers John Mayall & Eric Clapton
Throw Me In The Alley-Peetie Wheatstraw
Evil-Howlin' Wolf
The Jungle-B.B.King
Three Women Blues-Blind Willie McTell
My Man-Billie Holliday
Move This Rope-J.B.Lenoir
Hey Bud Blues-Big Bill Broonzy
Mean And Evil-Elmore James
Hurricane Betsy-Lightnin' Hopkins
Corn Liquor Blues-The Late Bill Williams
Backwater Blues-Leadbelly
Machine Gun-Jimi Hendrix

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 16, 2014 19:20

OzHeavyThrobber

Here's how it plays out:

No use in crying
Yer blues (Beatles)
Ride on (ACDC)
Cold shot (Stevie)
Back door man (Doors)
You gotta move

huh, there's not much (classical) blues on your list!?

Date: October 16, 2014 21:15

Many people love the blues through third or fourth generation artists. Nothing wrong with that - although I'm having a hard time fathoming why the beautiful soul tune Ain't No Use In Crying is a blues tune...

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: October 16, 2014 21:34

Because soul is blues. A matter of semantics.

Date: October 16, 2014 21:38

LuxuryStones

??? Major and minor don't matter anymore? In country blues there are always SOME blue notes...

Date: October 16, 2014 21:46

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

??? Major and minor don't matter anymore? In country blues there are always SOME blue notes...

You missed the point I try to make:

There's the old negro blues like Robert Johnson, the 12 bar and mississippi delta stuff etc, that's what you are referring to.
But blues is also another term for feeling, commonly used in music like Jazz. Coltrane had the blues: he had soul and feeling.smiling smiley

Ain't no use in crying has the blues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-16 21:48 by LuxuryStones.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 16, 2014 21:49

Three of my personal favorites:

1. Can't go worng with Feelin' Bad Blues by Ry Cooder, it is close to perfect, imho and one of the few tunes I NEVER get tired of listening to.

2. The Thrill is Gone by BB King has gotta be on the list:

3. Red House by Jimi Hendrix. One of the most copied and played modern blues tunes speaks for itself:

I'm sure there are blues purists out there who think stuff by Robert Johnson and Son House and those early cats are the best and only true blues but for my generation these are three that really rocked my boat. peace

Posted by: glimmerkkp ()
Date: October 16, 2014 21:52

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac complete discography. Pure magic!

----------------------------

[glimmerkkp.blogspot.com]

Date: October 16, 2014 21:56

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

You missed the point I try to make:

There's the old negro blues like Robert Johnson, the 12 bar and mississippi delta stuff etc, that's what you are referring to.
But blues is also another term for feeling, commonly used in music like Jazz. Coltrane had the blues: he had soul and feeling.smiling smiley

Ain't no use in crying has the blues.

Of course it has, but it's not A blues.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 16, 2014 22:05

Country blues par excellence.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 16, 2014 22:08

Nice one Naturalust and I do agree as well with DandelionPowderman,
Here are some more:

Mark Lanegan Band - The Gravedigger's Song
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds-Your Funeral My Trial
Motörhead-Lost Woman Blues

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-17 09:26 by runaway.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 16, 2014 22:21

One of my favorite Modern Blues tunes done John Hammond/Tom Waits style.

The whole album is great. If you've never heard it, start here - I think a playlist containing all the songs from the album will start - you can buy a copy later. Enjoy!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 16, 2014 22:27

stewedandkeefed
I think if you are talking great blues records, one shouldn't be choosing too much from after 1965. Start with the Smithsonian Blues albums. You will hear the originals and find out where your favourite line or lick from your favourite white band was ripped off from

That's partially true but is anything after 1965 worthy? yes indeed especially Jimi Hendrix
Canned Heat
Albert King
Buddy Guy & Junior Wells

Date: October 16, 2014 22:33

Love that Naturalust brought up Red House. I don't think I'll ever get tired of that one. Also nice to see "Stack O'Lee" getting a meantion from runaway. I heard a cool version of that by Dr John the other day.

Although "Thrill Is Gone" is calssic, I think my favorite BB King may be "Never Make A Move Too Soon:

Date: October 16, 2014 22:53

duke richardson
stewedandkeefed

That's partially true but is anything after 1965 worthy? yes indeed especially Jimi Hendrix
Canned Heat
Albert King
Buddy Guy & Junior Wells

Agreed with the "partially true". Still plenty of good & great blues being produced to this day.

An act that I'm hoping to hear more from (many of you will recognize the 2nd guitar player)

I'll try to add links as time permits but to say there's a cut off point for great blues is a bit of an overstatement. ON THE OTHER HAND, I will say that if you DON'T go back and find the early stuff from the 20's - 50's you'd be missing out on some stuff that may just change your world for the better. The Smithstonian Records mentioned above are a great place to start. Talk about a "Greatest Hits" album!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: October 16, 2014 23:52

video: [www.youtube.com]

Muddy Waters and Johnny Winter.. "I'm a Man" - live version

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 16, 2014 23:59

Albert's Shuffle - Al Kooper and Mike Bloomfield
A Apolitical Blues - Little Feat
Vigilante Man - Ry Cooder
I'm gonna fight for you - Mayall
Baby, Whatcha Want Me To Do - Winter
Stop breakin' down - RS
Forty-Four Blues / How Many More Years - Little Feat
Sure 'nuff 'n Yes I Do - Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band
Statesboro Blues - ABB
Red house blues - Hendrix

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: October 17, 2014 00:07

Impossible task but as part of The Songs of The Century week on BBC radio (a few years ago now), the blues tunes chosen on the Paul Jones Blues Show were, in order (voted by listeners, I think):
10. Help Me - Sonny Boy Williamson
09. Stormy Monday - T Bone Walker
08. Got My Mojo Workin' - Muddy Waters
07. Love In Vain - The Rolling Stones (not sure if this was the preferred version or just chosen by PJ - would need to listen to the show again)
06. Little Red Rooster - Howlin' Wolf
05. Trouble In Mind - Bertha "Chippie" Hill / Louis Armstrong
04. I Need Your Love So Bad - Fleetwood Mac
03. Death Letter - Son House
02. Crossroads - Robert Johnson
01. Smokestack Lightning - Howlin' Wolf

Not a bad list!

Date: October 17, 2014 01:05

Love this bluesy feel/ & Charlie's brushes. Maybe Keith's best ever.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: October 17, 2014 05:28

slewan
OzHeavyThrobber

Here's how it plays out:

No use in crying
Yer blues (Beatles)
Ride on (ACDC)
Cold shot (Stevie)
Back door man (Doors)
You gotta move

True Slewan. I like blues a little off the beaten track I guess as a rule. Muddy, Howlin' etc are masters don't et me wrong but the list I set down is more my thing.

Dandy "No use in crying" is soul blues to me and I guess ultimately raises the question of what exactly is the blues? Otis doing "I been loving you too long" is considered classic soul but to me it's just as much the blues. No matter what it's called I love it nonetheless.

I think I'd describe it as 'really feeling it mood music', although that could still mean anything

Silver dagger ma man my little one started also w "Yellow submarine" then into "Blackbird", "Penny lane" and so on but I knew she really dug this stuff one day when she was almost 4 and got in the car asking for me to play "She said she said"....
I think a lot of Lennon (Beatles gear) got her thinking. Songs like "Strawberry fields", "Lucy", "Walrus" and a few others caught her attention and she realised although there is catchy stuff to sing along to there's also catchy stuff that can be weird that you want to also sing along to.
Failing that mate build some stairs, lock her under them, feed her bread and water only for a week and play Stones around the clock to her.
She'll break...smoking smiley

ps - I cheated re my cd as I promised only 2 stones songs on it to myself, I broke and added Yayas LIV, "Rambler" and had to add "Stray cat blues" and "Parachute woman"....I'm weak

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 17, 2014 09:52

Them with Gus Cannon and Hound Dog Taylor ...

2 1 2 0

Date: October 17, 2014 12:35

OzHeavyThrobber
slewan
OzHeavyThrobber

Here's how it plays out:

No use in crying
Yer blues (Beatles)
Ride on (ACDC)
Cold shot (Stevie)
Back door man (Doors)
You gotta move

True Slewan. I like blues a little off the beaten track I guess as a rule. Muddy, Howlin' etc are masters don't et me wrong but the list I set down is more my thing.

Dandy "No use in crying" is soul blues to me and I guess ultimately raises the question of what exactly is the blues? Otis doing "I been loving you too long" is considered classic soul but to me it's just as much the blues. No matter what it's called I love it nonetheless.

I think I'd describe it as 'really feeling it mood music', although that could still mean anything

Silver dagger ma man my little one started also w "Yellow submarine" then into "Blackbird", "Penny lane" and so on but I knew she really dug this stuff one day when she was almost 4 and got in the car asking for me to play "She said she said"....
I think a lot of Lennon (Beatles gear) got her thinking. Songs like "Strawberry fields", "Lucy", "Walrus" and a few others caught her attention and she realised although there is catchy stuff to sing along to there's also catchy stuff that can be weird that you want to also sing along to.
Failing that mate build some stairs, lock her under them, feed her bread and water only for a week and play Stones around the clock to her.
She'll break...smoking smiley

ps - I cheated re my cd as I promised only 2 stones songs on it to myself, I broke and added Yayas LIV, "Rambler" and had to add "Stray cat blues" and "Parachute woman"....I'm weak

You can have the blues in a vast variety of genres smiling smiley

But blues is also a specific musical genre - like how I interpret the OP asking for in this thread...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1765
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home