Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Stealing My Heart
Date: October 13, 2014 16:11

liddas
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Spin Doctors stole off Sleepwalker, and the Stones stole off Two Princes smiling smiley

Stealing is alright when it is done with an inspiration, like with "Two Princes", or like what The Pretenders once did to "Empty Heart" or The Verve to "The Last Time" (countless other examples), but "Stealing My Heart" is something else... Usually the thing is to update an old idea to fit to current sounds, but the Stones just try to sound fresh and current by updating their old sound to fit to 'new' ideas, and (this time) they fail.

- Doxa

Absolutely. Trying to sound "contemporary" with an obsolete-sounding song is nothing but off the mark from Mick, imo smiling smiley

In fairness, there are some ok passages in SMH, but the overall impression of trying to be something you're not is obscuring thoses moments, unfortunately...

Come on now, aren't you guys too harsh now? DP, tu quoque!

On my book it is much better than the occasional Highwires or Don't Stops. I particularly like the melody of the chorus, and how Jagger sings it.

I know I am alone here, but for me the Licks EP wasn't that bad at all!

C

And I'll be the first to support you on that. However, imo, Stealing My Heart was the weakest of the four tracks - but there are some ok stuff in that one, too.

Like with Look What The Cat Dragged In and Too Tight, I'm having trouble listening to obvious musical theft without thinking of it... That might be the main reason I don't care too much for it smiling smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 13, 2014 17:33

DandelionPowderman

Like with Look What The Cat Dragged In and Too Tight, I'm having trouble listening to obvious musical theft without thinking of it... That might be the main reason I don't care too much for it smiling smiley

Funny thing when I was of songs similar to Stealing my Heart, those two would were the first ones that came to mind. Needless to say, I love them both ...

In any case, if we cut out of the Stones catalog more or less obvious musical thefts, I don't know how many songs would be left for us to dissect!

C

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 13, 2014 17:44

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On
confused smiley I can't hear any problems with this song, a nice punk-pastische if you listens to the chords...4/5 Being on 'Dirty Work' it would have been the second best tune...thumbs up

More like a pop-ified garage-thing, lifted from the songs I mentioned above smiling smiley

Yeah, it would be nice to have a good look at Mick and Keiths collection of Kinks and Spin Doctor records...grinning smiley

You'd be surprised.

Let's start with the base for Connection grinning smiley

grinning smiley

As far as I can remember Party Line is played on the off beat while Connection is very much on the on beat. Both are jaunty and up tempo but the only connection I can hear is the word 'connection' itself in the second verse of Party Line.

Wish I had a more direct connection.
This party line was here when I arrived.
And I'm not voting in the next election,
If they don't do something about finding out
The person who is on my party line.

Then I suggest you'll hum the line "Everything is going in the wrong direction". After that you do the Kinks-line: "I wish I had a more direct connection".

If the melody isn't (almost) the same, I'm now officially a Belieber grinning smiley

Yep - I have seen the light Dandy. I'll be over later with a case of wine and some Puertan Rican gals to celebrate. >grinning smiley<

Date: October 13, 2014 18:02

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On
confused smiley I can't hear any problems with this song, a nice punk-pastische if you listens to the chords...4/5 Being on 'Dirty Work' it would have been the second best tune...thumbs up

More like a pop-ified garage-thing, lifted from the songs I mentioned above smiling smiley

Yeah, it would be nice to have a good look at Mick and Keiths collection of Kinks and Spin Doctor records...grinning smiley

You'd be surprised.

Let's start with the base for Connection grinning smiley

grinning smiley

As far as I can remember Party Line is played on the off beat while Connection is very much on the on beat. Both are jaunty and up tempo but the only connection I can hear is the word 'connection' itself in the second verse of Party Line.

Wish I had a more direct connection.
This party line was here when I arrived.
And I'm not voting in the next election,
If they don't do something about finding out
The person who is on my party line.

Then I suggest you'll hum the line "Everything is going in the wrong direction". After that you do the Kinks-line: "I wish I had a more direct connection".

If the melody isn't (almost) the same, I'm now officially a Belieber grinning smiley

Yep - I have seen the light Dandy. I'll be over later with a case of wine and some Puertan Rican gals to celebrate. >grinning smiley<

LOL! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 13, 2014 18:41

SMH? A useless filler

Date: October 13, 2014 20:17

KRiffhard
SMH? A useless filler

Well, most songs would classify as filler on 40 Licks smiling smiley

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: October 13, 2014 20:40

Nice enough little tune, nothing wrong with it!

Pete.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 13, 2014 21:30

I really like all four of the Licks tracks, you're all just bigoted against anyhing that doesn't sound like it was recorded in the 60's

Date: October 13, 2014 21:33

I really like Keys To Your Love. Should have been the single, imo. It's up there with No Use In Crying.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: October 13, 2014 21:47

"Forty licks" gave us 4 various (but good) songs !

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 13, 2014 22:04

DandelionPowderman
I really like Keys To Your Love. Should have been the single, imo. It's up there with No Use In Crying.

thumbs upsmileys with beerthumbs up
Could not have said it better. Always thought Keys To Your Love would fit perfectly into the quiet side of Tattoo You.
A great song! Underrated.
Stealing My Heart is very weak, no balls, same league as Don't Stop and Let Me Down Slow from ABB. Too much polishing did not help these tracks. Funny the polishing works great on Keys To Your Love, which is by far the better tune from the begining.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: October 13, 2014 22:28

"I thought you were dinner, but you were the shark"

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 13, 2014 22:38

roundnround

Yeah! I like it too. It's little but it's likeable,
and that line is quite funny

Date: October 13, 2014 22:40

roundnround

Yes this line from Stealing My Heart is also nonsense.

Keys To Your Love is better textwise also...

I really like the line:

"Watch out baby I put a spell on you, you can't resist...... I'll hoodoo you!"

Great break/hook and working to the end of the song.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 14, 2014 00:05

The tune starts out strong, nice guitar sounds and then as soon as Mick starts singing the tune begins to suck. Something about the way he sings this one makes me think he should have saved it for a solo record. It doesn't belong on a Stones release. peace

Date: October 14, 2014 00:26

Naturalust
The tune starts out strong, nice guitar sounds and then as soon as Mick starts singing the tune begins to suck. Something about the way he sings this one makes me think he should have saved it for a solo record. It doesn't belong on a Stones release. peace

thumbs up

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 14, 2014 01:05

As a song, it would make a decent album track like the ones we get near the end on A Bigger Bang.

As a song in between hits on Forty Licks, it becomes painfully obvious that the track leads nowhere and is not a strong composition.

In my humble opinion, The Stones should have chosen ONE single new song for Forty Licks: Don't Stop. It stands as a decent latter-day track and the only one which can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the other big hits.

Then they could have released Stealing My Heart, Keys To Your Love and Losing My Touch on the Don't Stop single.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 14, 2014 01:09

They have a tendency to publish boring songs instead of the good ones that were left out - fx missing out Under the Radar from ABB instead of Sweet Neo Con.....

Strictly Memphis instead of Back to Zero

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 14, 2014 01:43

mtaylor
They have a tendency to publish boring songs instead of the good ones that were left out - fx missing out Under the Radar from ABB instead of Sweet Neo Con.....

I think they think it totally differentl what goes for 'boringness': just to make a bit variance to the albums they leave some of the obvious sounding ones - typical Stones rockers - out to get room for not so obvious ones. I think the songs you mention here are belong to those categories. I am not either any big fan of "Back to Zero" or "Sweet Neo Con" but whatever they are, they are not 'typical'... I think we could trace this policy all the way back to, say, GOATS HEAD SOUP ("Criss Cross Man" anyone?). Anyway, this is my way to to explain their 'tendency'. There typically are some more classical Stones-sounding tracks in the vaults (many being bootleggers' favourites), while some more 'odd' ones made the albums.

But what goes for releasing four new songs in a greatest hits album sounded more like pure business-thinking: to maximise the interest of all potential buyers, including those who already had all the hits. The artistic value didn't count - but one could also ask: what lasting value should such a hits collection have? There will be another one in ten years any way (like it did). But funnily, now FORTY LICKS have some collector's value to get those four tracks...

- Doxa

Date: October 14, 2014 05:04

I was wondering if this would finally be the song in Rene's threads that no one answered. There is just so little to say about this totally unramarkable song. Right now I tell you: this is the ONLY Stones song that I could not sing to you now. I have no idea how it goes because every time I hear it I forgets it.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: October 14, 2014 06:27

Not worthy of praise or criticism. Straight up the middle fun later day Stones, easily forgotten after enjoying for awhile. Like bubble gum.

Date: October 14, 2014 08:56

mtaylor

Except that SNC is much better and more original than Under The Radar smiling smiley

I agree on Strictly Memphis, though.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 16, 2014 02:38

It's crap. And amazing that they found it fit for a hits comp.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 16, 2014 07:04

Send It To me
I really like all four of the Licks tracks, you're all just bigoted against anyhing that doesn't sound like it was recorded in the 60's

I'm not sure why, but I'm bigoted against terrible songs, of which Stealing My Heart is one.

Date: October 16, 2014 07:06

DandelionPowderman
Thanks for reminding me ... if there's any song worse than Stealing My Heart, it's Keys To Your Love. Losing My Touch is slightly better than both of those.

Date: October 16, 2014 08:35

LeonidP
DandelionPowderman
Thanks for reminding me ... if there's any song worse than Stealing My Heart, it's Keys To Your Love. Losing My Touch is slightly better than both of those.

You like fake-garage, I like soul. Fair enough...

Date: October 16, 2014 12:53

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
DandelionPowderman

Okay, but we were discussing these terrible songs ...

Date: October 16, 2014 12:58

LeonidP
DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
DandelionPowderman

Okay, but we were discussing these that terrible songs ...

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: October 16, 2014 14:07

I like the music, but the lyrics are childish. That said it's not as bad as many people claim. Sounds like a No Doubt song to me.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 16, 2014 14:43

A terrible terrible song. One of their worst. I guess they tried to imitate the lousy new-wave/grunge/indie type of rubbish rock we've been hearing since the eighties. (Lame chord progressions, lame rhythm, dull guitar sound, weak melodies).
It sort of confirms my theory that one of the reasons why the Stones haven't really made any great record after Tattoo You is because there is no other music around to be inspired by. In the 60s and 70s there were plenty of other bands with interesting sounds or approaches, but the last time they got inspired in a good way by what was going around was at the end of the 70s, ironically, both by disco and punk.
But since then, there's only been whining new-wave, even more whining grunge and even more more whining indie, all with a sauce of monotonous distortioned guitars and sad singers who seem to tired too sing.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1907
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home