Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Billy Preston - The Stones secret Live weapon
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: October 9, 2014 16:09

Bad mouthed was a over statement...SORRY---I was just not happy
when I heard about how mad he was over the STONES not giving him credits.
Yes he did go public with that.

That was something you either sue for or shut up and not go public with.

This was talked about over the years on this board.

IMO----If you are a sidemen be happy you are playing...He acted IMO---Like
a 2nd Mick Jagger on that tour. The Stones Even played Billy's songs...

I don't think the Stones ever let Keith, Bill or even Woodie play their songs
at a STONES Show.

Date: October 9, 2014 16:16

hot stuff

at a STONES Show.

Wouldn't you? grinning smiley

Date: October 9, 2014 16:17

hot stuff

at a STONES Show.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: October 9, 2014 17:35

Billy was such a genius, but never get into the groove imho. He was a solist, he's always jumping on top of the mix. I think Stu and Nicky were the greatest just because they both manage to get INTO the groove, and that's the true heart of the Stones as a band. Nicky was always playing with Charlie and Keith, and Keith and Nicky were very very close musically during 1967-1969, just pick up Sympathy and Monkey man, to name just two Keith-Nicky driven songs. Billy is always like "sorry... here I am", he was simply too big to fit. A geniuos, again, in a band where the whole is much more important than its parts.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 9, 2014 18:54

Best solo career of any "Stone".

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 9, 2014 19:36

Well, we finally get to see and hear, clearly, what Billy Preston sounded/looked like, with the Stones when LA Forum 75 is out next month. Yay.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 9, 2014 23:00

71Tele
What I always thought was that he got a little too big in the group and Keith put his foot down (at least that's Keith's version). I loved Billy as a sideman (brilliant on Sticky, Exile and GHS) but Melody was it for me. I didn't care for that at all. I know a lot of people like it, but Billy and the Stones probably got all they could from each other by "77. Some Girls never would have happened with him in the band.

Agreed. I'm not too fond of Billy Preston's contributions to the Stones, except the ones you mentioned (I Got The Blues, Shine A Light, 100 Years Ago, Heartbreaker, etc.).

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 10, 2014 00:56

"Preston was so far ahead of us musically that he'd turn one of my basic riffs into a finished song in no time, long before I could work on it myself properly and move the embryo of song in my direction. I got tired of this".

Wow dcba, that is a telling quote, thanks. It makes perfect sense to me, especially since Keith has been known to beat an idea to death for a long time in order to get it right. Brilliant musicians like Mr. Preston could probably get to where they wanted to go a lot quicker and Keith being so wasted during that time certainly didn't help with the time factor.

Although Keith has no one to blame but himself for allowing Billy to "finish the song". I mean go back to the kitchen with Mick and write if it bothers you so much and only bring Billy in when you get stuck.....eye popping smiley

Well, we finally get to see and hear, clearly, what Billy Preston sounded/looked like, with the Stones when LA Forum 75 is out next month

24FPS, that is assuming a lot, to judge someone by one nights performance, especially since the mix we will get can be different from what the audience and band was hearing that night. But seeing the video would definitely be telling....I'm hoping he had a good night. peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-10 01:43 by Naturalust.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: October 10, 2014 03:18

DandelionPowderman
odean73
My first concert was Birmingham odean 73 and billy was the support act, he was that good that the crowd were wanting more after his last number.

I thought he was brilliant that night and also with the stones, i dont think he was too much in the picture those days, but can see the point in the years to come that he tried to take one of the lead parts.

I love Billy's contributions to the stones and did not realise he had bad mouthed them after leaving.

RIP Billy.

I don't think he did.

Yeah, I don't think he did particularly either. Its true that there was a tiny gossip piece that appeared in The New York Post..just a couple of sentences where Billy complained about not getting co credit on Miss You. But he was also featured in later years on one of those unofficial Stones retrospectives - might have been the one having to do with Exile (used to be on Youtube but I believe it got taken down) and he was nothing but complimentary to the band. Not to forget as well, and probably more to the point, Jagger featured him on Wandering Spirit. So, all water under the bridge in time it seems...

Posted by: winter ()
Date: October 10, 2014 07:36

When you played with a top notch musician (Hopkins, Clapton, Taylor, Keyes, etc), band members usually upped their game a bit. Likewise, Preston sang too and Mick was finally challenged to 'up' his singing game. Some of his best melodic singing and phrasing came thru in that GHS, IORR, B&B and LYL period. And it sounded like they had a blast on stuff like GOMC, Melody, etc. Jagger's 'vocal noises' like the grunts and oohs and BOI! and whoops are great forms of expressionism and are all over IORR and B&B, most likely due to Preston's presence and gospel background helping to loosen up Mick's pre-1972 approach to vocals.

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: October 10, 2014 20:57

Odean73 - both concerts were great but for some reason the crowd at the early concert were IMO very subdued... therefore I would say that the later concert was the best for me - the crowd were really up for it. I did manage to obtain a live CD recording of the concert off an IORR member some years back - it is not clear though whether the recording is the first or second!
I seem to remember Mick commenting on TV (think it was the Old Grey Whistle Test) about how different audiences could be on the 73 tour - he particularly mentioned the two Birmingham gigs and the difference in the audiences. In hindsight I remember going to a pub in Birmingham between the two gigs and maybe the later one had an audience that was a little more alcohol happy. Both gigs had similar content and both were fabulous IMO.

"till the next time..."

Star

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 10, 2014 21:14

DandelionPowderman
hot stuff

at a STONES Show.

Wouldn't you? grinning smiley

From Wikipedia :

"Preston's 1973 song "Do You Love Me" was the basis for the Rolling Stones' track "Melody", released on Black and Blue in 1976."

Sound alike but I prefer "Melody" by the Stones due to the jazzy/blues vibe that comes out of their musical arrangement.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-10 22:01 by rollmops.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: October 10, 2014 21:35

Naturalust
I know lots of folks think Nicky Hopkins was the man for the Stones but the more I listen to Stones stuff from the 70's the more I realize that Billy Preston really helped the band groove.

Yes indeed! Billy Preston's contributions to the Stones were invaluable.

Preston made a very important contribution to their greatest album -- THE greatest rock album -- "Exile on Main Street." When it was being mixed in LA, Preston took Jagger around to Rev. James Cleveland's church and other Black churches in LA. The gospel sounds he picked up on his tour of Black churches found their way to "Exile" and give that album extra character. For example, you can attribute "Shine a Light" to Preston's influence (not to mention his organ playing).

Some posters here say he sometimes outshone the Stones when he toured with them. Well ya, he couldn't help it. He was that good.

Love his organ on "I Got the Blues." If the Stones were to play fair, he'd get writing credit on "Miss You" and "Melody." He helped carry the band when Mick Taylor left and Keith was deep into heroine.

Billy Preston's contributions to Rolling Stones albums:

Sticky Fingers: "Can't You Hear Me Knockin," "I Got the Blues"

Exile on Main Street: "Shine a Light"

Goats Head Soup: "100 Years Ago," "Heartbreaker"

It's Only Rock 'n Roll: "If You Can't Rock Me," "Aint Too Proud to Beg," "Fingerprint File"

Black and Blue: "Hot Stuff," "Hand of Fate," "Cherry Oh Baby," "Memory Motel," "Hey Negrita," "Melody" "Fool to Cry," "Crazy Mama"

Love You Live: All songs

Some Girls: "Miss You"

Wandering Spirit (Jagger album): "Out Of Focus"

Bridges to Babylon: "Saint of Me"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-10 21:38 by Pietro.

Date: October 11, 2014 03:19

Billy Preston's contributions to Rolling Stones albums:

Sticky Fingers: "Can't You Hear Me Knockin," "I Got the Blues"

Goats Head Soup: "100 Years Ago," "Heartbreaker"

Just those 4 tunes is enough to make him golden in my opinion! That lick he does on the start of Heartbreaker is friggin' awesome. Never quite works the same when they try to do it with just the guitars. peace

Date: October 11, 2014 18:52

Haven't they always started it with the clavinet? Chuck's versions sound much thinner, though.

Date: October 23, 2014 03:16

DandelionPowderman
Haven't they always started it with the clavinet? Chuck's versions sound much thinner, though.

I thought I've heard versions that were started with the guitar playing Billy's part. Like this one from 1975, specifically at 01:03 when the lick starts, I mostly hear guitar, although I guess Billy's buried in there somewhere. peace

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 23, 2014 13:46

71Tele
I'll never forget getting the Get Back/Don't Let Me Down 45 when I was a kid and reading the label: "The Beatles With Billy Preston". That's how good he was...
my sentiments , he was called the fifth beatle .one of the best .killer B-3 sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 23, 2014 13:54

i always thought that chuck played the B-3 on saint of me ?

Date: October 23, 2014 18:23

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

I thought I've heard versions that were started with the guitar playing Billy's part. Like this one from 1975, specifically at 01:03 when the lick starts, I mostly hear guitar, although I guess Billy's buried in there somewhere. peace

Yep, that's what it is: a bad mix. Can't hear Billy. They never did exactly like on the album, and Keith started it - then Billy came in.

Date: October 23, 2014 21:25

Yep, that's what it is: a bad mix. Can't hear Billy. They never did exactly like on the album, and Keith started it - then Billy came in.

It's too bad since Billy's playing on the intro on the record is suberb and really sets the groove for the song. Just like Can't You Hear Me Knockin' and even Gimme Shelter, they have never been able to duplicate the powerful intro's to my satisfaction. DP, as a guitar player you probably agree with me, at least about CYHMK. Most of us have learned that intro note for note. smoking smiley peace

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: October 23, 2014 23:23

hot stuff
I saw him in 75 as well and my 1st thought was he was way to up front.
Almost like Mick and Bill's Rolling Stones.

What made Nicky and Stu so great they played and didn't try to outstage the Stones.
They played so beautifully without making themselves the focus .

Bill added a lot. But as soon as Jagger didn't give him credit he craved he quit and then bad
Mouth the Stones.

This was just what I saw at the time. Sorry.

Huge mistake the Stone including him in 73 and 75

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: October 23, 2014 23:46

alhavu1

Just let it be.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 23, 2014 23:52

....eeeerrr well.....dat's da way god planned it

ROCKMAN

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: October 23, 2014 23:57

was horrible addition (or rather, a "subtraction")

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 24, 2014 16:09

The most complete piano player the Stones ever had, extremely creative, having a great musical talent. Without any doubt Stew, Nicky Hopkins and Ian McLagan fit better to the Stones music. But Billy's contributions to the tour 75/76 were important without burying the specific momentum of the band or making them a nice cover band of their own as Chuck managed it in the last 25 years. I miss him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-24 16:09 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 24, 2014 22:14

Billy Preston played with the greats, I saw him perform twice with the Stones live in 73 and 76 in The Netherlands and he contributed on several of my vinyls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-25 15:04 by runaway.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 25, 2014 10:25

Rockman

....eeeerrr well.....dat's da way god planned it

haha! grinning smiley

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 25, 2014 18:09

The Stones hired Billy because he was a tremendously exciting, talented musician.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 25, 2014 23:04

I remember seeing him play with Eric Clapton before he passed away. I didn't know it was him playing but he somehow dragged my attention to him during the entire show. I recall asking some people around me if they knew who that fantastic keyboard player was and nobody knew. He was certainly laying out a hell of a groove. The next day while reading the review in the local newspaper I found out that it was indeed Billy Preston. Blew my mind. How could I miss that. But I knew for sure that it was someone special. That rarely happens at a concert, and almost never with me. Even then Billy was a commanding presence.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 26, 2014 02:38

Great post Sicilian!

Don't believe anyone but Rockman referenced "That's the Way God Planned It."

Billy's bravado performance in "Concert for Bangla Desh" is a total upper!
The full film footage of that amazing concert used to be on YouTube. Don't know if it still is but it's worth searching the net for.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1492
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home