Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

I'm Moving On live ?
Posted by: ash ()
Date: October 7, 2014 14:08

I had a quick look and don't think this has been debated before.
First, i think it's one of the highlights of the Stones catalogue...it smokes but..
is it really a live recording ?
Listening carefully on the intro and when Mick's voice comes in we can hear the band playing but there is also harmonica buried in there under Mick's vocal and it pops out in other places too. The harmonica solo itself has a very studio sounding reverb and i doubt given the primitive recording conditions that that would be possible if this was a truly live set-up. I'm assuming Brian is playing the slide so either there were some overdubs before release or this is in fact a roughed up studio take - is it possible that it was one of the 3 old blues numbers mentioned as being recorded at the Last Time session in January 1965 ? I've never heard it mentioned what those songs were.

Last piece of (maybe) evidence is the NME report of the setlist for Edmonton on march 5 - Route 66, Pain In My Heart, Down The Road Apiece, Everybody Needs Somebody To Love, The Last Time, Little Red Rooster, Time Is On My Side and I'm Alright.
It is quite possible that the reporter didn't write the setlist down accurately and also possible that the band varied their setlist slightly from night to night meaning the song did get played during this tour just not on that ocassion.
Any ideas ? I would like to say that if it is a studio cut, i hope it sees the light of day some time. It's awesome but is it really live ?

Re: I'm Moving On live ?
Date: October 7, 2014 14:18

ash
I had a quick look and don't think this has been debated before.
First, i think it's one of the highlights of the Stones catalogue...it smokes but..
is it really a live recording ?
Listening carefully on the intro and when Mick's voice comes in we can hear the band playing but there is also harmonica buried in there under Mick's vocal and it pops out in other places too. The harmonica solo itself has a very studio sounding reverb and i doubt given the primitive recording conditions that that would be possible if this was a truly live set-up. I'm assuming Brian is playing the slide so either there were some overdubs before release or this is in fact a roughed up studio take - is it possible that it was one of the 3 old blues numbers mentioned as being recorded at the Last Time session in January 1965 ? I've never heard it mentioned what those songs were.

Last piece of (maybe) evidence is the NME report of the setlist for Edmonton on march 5 - Route 66, Pain In My Heart, Down The Road Apiece, Everybody Needs Somebody To Love, The Last Time, Little Red Rooster, Time Is On My Side and I'm Alright.
It is quite possible that the reporter didn't write the setlist down accurately and also possible that the band varied their setlist slightly from night to night meaning the song did get played during this tour just not on that ocassion.
Any ideas ? I would like to say that if it is a studio cut, i hope it sees the light of day some time. It's awesome but is it really live ?

Which of the officially released I'm Moving Ons did you have in mind?

Date: October 7, 2014 14:32

The Got Live If You Want it/December's Children-version? The Charlie Is My Darling-version?

Date: October 7, 2014 14:32

Got Live If You Want It ep version.

Date: October 7, 2014 14:38

It's the same version as on Dember's Children and the live GLIYWI-LP. To my knowledge it's all live, as opposed to I've Been Loving You Too Long and Fortune Teller.

I'm Moving On
Composer: Hank Snow) Original performers: Hank Snow (1950), Ray Charles (1959)
Recording date: March 1965-Recording location: London, Liverpool or Manchester (live)
Producer: Andrew Oldham
Engineer: Glyn Johns
Performed onstage: 1962, 1964-66

[timeisonourside.com]

Date: October 7, 2014 14:44

So if Brian's playing the slide, who's playing that mouth organ buried but audible under Micks vocal - it's doing a sort of chug thing on the 2nd and 3 1/2 beat if you know what i mean. Can't be Mick, he's singing.

Date: October 7, 2014 15:10

ash
So if Brian's playing the slide, who's playing that mouth organ buried but audible under Micks vocal - it's doing a sort of chug thing on the 2nd and 3 1/2 beat if you know what i mean. Can't be Mick, he's singing.

You've got a point grinning smiley

Probably a harp overdub by Brian.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 7, 2014 16:54

We have discussed the song in the Track Talk thread: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 7, 2014 23:16

I'm funny about I'm Movin' On.

I don't like the Stones version, yet love Elvis' version from 1969, arranged by Dan Penn, and I also like Ray Charles' version from 1959. I don't like Johnny Cash's versions, one from 1984 with Waylon, and the other from Unearthed, yet I like Roseanne Cash's.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 8, 2014 00:20

...Canadian country singer Hank Snow idolised
Jimmie Rogers but couldn't crack it in the US of A till he
cut I'm Movin' On in Nashville in early 1950 ..... The record stayed at No1 for 21 weeks....

...............Love Hank's original and The Stones amphetamine doused version ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 8, 2014 06:13

YES! Thanks Rockee.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 8, 2014 07:19

DandelionPowderman
It's the same version as on Dember's Children and the live GLIYWI-LP. To my knowledge it's all live, as opposed to I've Been Loving You Too Long and Fortune Teller.

I'm Moving On it's not on the Got Live If You Want It! LP. I think you've made a mistake with I'm Alright, haven't you?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 8, 2014 09:10

I'm moving on and It's allright is my first experience of live-songs on records back in 1965...

Date: October 8, 2014 09:56

Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman

I'm Moving On it's not on the Got Live If You Want It! LP. I think you've made a mistake with I'm Alright, haven't you?

Indeed I did! Too many albums, too much of a mess, Cristiano smiling smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 8, 2014 10:08

DandelionPowderman
Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman

Indeed I did! Too many albums, too much of a mess, Cristiano smiling smiley

Yep, I know how is that. winking smiley

Date: October 8, 2014 12:50

Unless this was cut at an earlier session and roughed up for live release i think the only windows of opportunity for any overdub work on this ep is 19th to 24th march (though the 21st involved travel to Birmingham to record Thank Your Lucky Stars) or between April 3rd and 15th 1965. The EP was released 11th June so somewhere along the line we may have an otherwise undocumented session or two.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1646
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home