Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT The end of The Black Crowes?
Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: October 6, 2014 23:16

Steve Gorman the bands drummer has intimated that The Crowes are highly unlikely to work together as a band again. This is really sad news for fans like myself who have been digging these guys for 25 years.
Of course there has been breaks before in 2001 and then again after Before The Frost but this really sounds like the end in the wake of the fantastic Chris Robinson Brotherhood starting to really take off and glowing reviews also for Rich Robinsons latest album.
I got into them pretty much about the same time as I first really got into the Stones and I have to say I have not a bad word to say about them or their albums. Chris is a real rock n roll star who we should cherish because there aint many about these days, their music always came from the heart and they were never the mere Faces/Stones copyists that many a lazy journalist would have you believe. They maybe should of used their ears rather than just their eyes as the Crowes were something different but yet traditional.
If this really is the end then I just want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for the last quarter of a century and I wish all the members who have passed through their ranks over the years all the best for the future and beyond, I shall continue to take great interest in all of their individual activities.
It's been one hell of a ride, thank you for allowing us to share it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-06 23:20 by geordiestone.

Re: OT The end of The Black Crowes?
Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 6, 2014 23:25

Well goodbye to The Black Crowes. I saw them around 2001 in Paradiso, Amsterdam. But hey! I saw The Rolling Stones in Paradiso may 26, 1995.drinking smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 6, 2014 23:29

Hopefully they will all be able to find a balance between the side projects and the Crowes. I'm with ya' geordie... I really like the Crowes and was (still am) looking forward to new music from them for years to come.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 7, 2014 01:04

I doubt its really over

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 7, 2014 01:27

Not too disappointed, CRB is satisfying my Black Crowes needs for now. And hopefully Rich will keep putting out decent music for a while to come. peace

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: October 7, 2014 01:36

I am not sure that Chris robinson brotherhood is really taking off. They play in small places and they don't sell out many gigs . I mean , I love CRB but i am not sure it will last for many years. The black Crowes Are one of the greatest incredible bands of the last 20 years, i saw them more or less 10 times and always enjoyed them. I hope that robinson brothers sooner or later they will decide to get back together. The BC sound is something special, something different

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: October 7, 2014 02:01

I saw them maybe a decade or so ago when Jimmy Page played with them. They did Zep Physical Graffiti songs. Great band, Chris good, drummer really good and Rich plays good and had a great sound from the boutique stacks he played through.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: October 7, 2014 02:54

Seems like it's been the end of the Black Crowes several times over the years. They always come back.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 7, 2014 03:38

I seriously doubt it. They will need the money and none of their solo careers has been particularly successful. They make their money from tours and then releasing and touring behind something. They'll get back together, but it might be a while.
They are greater together. Chris' stuff sadly is quite boring. He is clearly enamoured with The Grateful Dead, but it is a bit boring and pretentious. Rich's new stuff is quite good, but the man is clearly not a lead vocalist. Lots of issues with pitch and singing out of tune. But together they are fantastic!

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: October 7, 2014 04:13

Love the Crowes, like the solo projects.

Hopefully Christopher's infatuation with the Dead ends sooner than later. Rich wants nothing to do with that scene.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 7, 2014 04:46

Hopefully Christopher's infatuation with the Dead ends sooner than later.

It's a huge market and generally bands that capture a part of that live market tend to get a pretty loyal following, although I doubt it is a business thing for Chris. Whatever floats his boat is OK with me. His live show in the Santa Cruz area a while back was well worth the price of admission. peace

Date: October 7, 2014 05:14

Funny, I saw him in Michigan over the summer and there were moments where it was good, but mostly it was quite boring. The band also didn't do much to wow me. And Adam is one of the weakest links in his band and in the Crowes. His style is a far cry from the beautiful gospel rock style of Eddie. I miss that. But it is what it is and there are times he does an adequate job. I just find the Brotherhood to be quite boring when compared to the Crowes and Chris is no where near as charismatic or dynamic.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: October 7, 2014 06:52

Steve and Chris are not on speaking terms and it has been that way for quite a while now.

Date: October 7, 2014 06:54

Really? I haven't heard that from any of the forums on the Crowes. I met Steve at the Fillmore shows for their previous tour, nice guy!

Posted by: Crazyhorse ()
Date: October 7, 2014 10:24

geordiestone
Steve Gorman the bands drummer has intimated that The Crowes are highly unlikely to work together as a band again. This is really sad news for fans like myself who have been digging these guys for 25 years.
Of course there has been breaks before in 2001 and then again after Before The Frost but this really sounds like the end in the wake of the fantastic Chris Robinson Brotherhood starting to really take off and glowing reviews also for Rich Robinsons latest album.
I got into them pretty much about the same time as I first really got into the Stones and I have to say I have not a bad word to say about them or their albums. Chris is a real rock n roll star who we should cherish because there aint many about these days, their music always came from the heart and they were never the mere Faces/Stones copyists that many a lazy journalist would have you believe. They maybe should of used their ears rather than just their eyes as the Crowes were something different but yet traditional.
If this really is the end then I just want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for the last quarter of a century and I wish all the members who have passed through their ranks over the years all the best for the future and beyond, I shall continue to take great interest in all of their individual activities.

Great band. Been catching them live since they backed up the Dogs D'Amour in the late 80s. Got the live CD of the Manchester, UK show from last year and Rich is playing Manchester again next month. Seems to me they have been taking a break every couple of years to work on their solo projects and then hit the road again as the Crowes. Hope the reports from Steve Gorman are incorrect.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 7, 2014 10:33

(not trying to troll btw)
They reeally shone in 1990 when they were opening for Plant and others. Tight energetic shows and a band that rocked hard.

After they extended everything (shows songs) and put the "yawn" factor in their shows (imo).

Try to find this one and be in awe! thumbs up

BLACK CROWES
LOST HORIZON
SYRACUSE, NY (USA)
MARCH 28, 1990
FROM THE COLLECTION OF SMORES
KRW&CO TRANSFER

AUDIENCE ANALOG 1ST GENERATION

SETLIST
1 Intro
2 Thick N' Thin
3 You're Wrong
4 Twice As Hard
5 Kick The Devil Outta Me
6 It's A Sin
7 Sister Luck
8 Hard To Handle
9 Jealous Again
10 Stare It Cold

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: October 7, 2014 16:02

whitem8
Really? I haven't heard that from any of the forums on the Crowes. I met Steve at the Fillmore shows for their previous tour, nice guy!

Sure is. If anything, I reckon Steve being a no-bullshit kind of guy isn't going to be waiting by the phone or going out if his way to coax Chris back into the fold. Chris has retreated into his own world of the CRB after taking the death of his father very hard. Rich is more at peace with it, as evidenced by the songs on his new album. Give it a year or two and we'll see.

One thing for sure, the principals still have the urge to create music so there will be other projects to enjoy for us listeners.

Date: October 7, 2014 16:07

Crazyhorse
geordiestone

Great band. Been catching them live since they backed up the Dogs D'Amour in the late 80s. Got the live CD of the Manchester, UK show from last year and Rich is playing Manchester again next month. Seems to me they have been taking a break every couple of years to work on their solo projects and then hit the road again as the Crowes. Hope the reports from Steve Gorman are incorrect.
Yeah I'm currently listening to the whole of last years tour again. There was something quite surprising about the fact they undertook that so I'm thinking now that it was maybe a final farewell and possibly not undertaken with much harmony in the band. Chris I think you can tell is really loving his wonderful new band and possibly being free from inter band/family troubles. It's probably a breath of fresh air that they all need at this point in their lives. I disagree with the view that they'll reform when they need the money as I truly believe that this band did it for the love of the music first and foremost and if they are now getting better kicks musically away from one another then that is what they will continue to do. It isn't like any of them are broke.
A big shame but at the same time you have to respect their wishes, they've served us well for a quarter of a century. Peace.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: October 7, 2014 17:37

Steve Gorman, Jackie Greene and Joan Osborne just published a new album
, the band is called trigger hippy. From what I saw on youtube looks like a very good band. I wish them all the best

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 7, 2014 19:09

andrea66
, the band is called trigger hippy. From what I saw on youtube looks like a very good band. I wish them all the best

thanks for the information on this.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: October 7, 2014 20:35

duke richardson
andrea66

Just stumbled across this online. Sounds pretty. Very country.

[www.npr.org]

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 7, 2014 21:05

andrewt
duke richardson
andrea66

Just stumbled across this online. Sounds pretty. Very country.

[www.npr.org]

I really want to see them and Ill have a chance when they play in Asheville (oct 29). thank you for this link, I caught the end of this on the radio one night.
Joan Osborne is simply awesome...Jackie Greene, one of the most soulful musicians. since 2011 apparently this band has been working, with different guitarists. they had Will Kimbrough for some shows, and Audley Freed.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: October 7, 2014 21:32

I read a recent interview with Rich in some guitar magazine (can't remember which), and he was quite frosty when the subject of the Crowes came up. Something like: I don't know what's going on with the Crowes ... We're not recording, have no plans to tour ... I'm focused on my own thing right now

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-07 21:33 by Mel Belli.

Posted by: Crazyhorse ()
Date: October 8, 2014 00:23

geordiestone
Crazyhorse
geordiestone

Yeah I'm currently listening to the whole of last years tour again. There was something quite surprising about the fact they undertook that so I'm thinking now that it was maybe a final farewell and possibly not undertaken with much harmony in the band. Chris I think you can tell is really loving his wonderful new band and possibly being free from inter band/family troubles. It's probably a breath of fresh air that they all need at this point in their lives. I disagree with the view that they'll reform when they need the money as I truly believe that this band did it for the love of the music first and foremost and if they are now getting better kicks musically away from one another then that is what they will continue to do. It isn't like any of them are broke.
A big shame but at the same time you have to respect their wishes, they've served us well for a quarter of a century. Peace.

Yeah I agree they have served well. One of the rare groups to always include the UK & Europe in regular tours too. Not sure whether I can see CRB touring the UK though. Hope they do, of course. Musicians, like us all, have money problems now and again. I recall reading something not long ago about Rich having a major tax bill over his head and he was selling his property due to this burden.

Date: October 8, 2014 04:49

I saw them three times during their last tour. One of the shows in Chicago in a small venue and they were just blistering hot rock n' roll. A fantastic show with a great set list. They did a beautiful version of Wild Horses for the encore, and The Last Time. The show was LOUD! I was first row leaning against the stage and they all looked loose and happy. Probably the happiest I have seen them. Jovial, joking, and engaged. I also saw them with the Tedeshi Trucks band, and they played shorter, but were also fantastic. I am pretty sure they will get back together and hit the road when they need some cash. Fine by me.

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: October 8, 2014 22:44

It would make me quite sad if the brothers called it quits. Didn´t mind the changes, love Ed Hawrysh aka Eddie Harsh, loved Johnny Colt and Gorman, really liked the original guitar player who was reanimated for the live shows that were recorded and released on record and video. Absolutely love Chris Robinson, esp. on stage. His first solo record was better than the second one in my opinion, but "the Southern Harmony...", "Amorica", "Shake Your Money Maker" and "Three Snakes" are hard to beat.
Saw and watched them backstage at one of the seven concerts I saw over the years (all of them in Germany), only Rich seemed a bit outta touch… Don´t like his solo stuff either. Open G stuff on a Tele w/ a humbucker at the neck sets a high standard.
But, gentlemen, please get your asses back together, call up Audley Freed or whoever is a brilliant #2 and keep the fire burnin´.
Part of the soundtrack of my live.
fillmore

Date: October 9, 2014 05:43

Fillmore
It would make me quite sad if the brothers called it quits. Didn´t mind the changes, love Ed Hawrysh aka Eddie Harsh, loved Johnny Colt and Gorman, really liked the original guitar player who was reanimated for the live shows that were recorded and released on record and video. Absolutely love Chris Robinson, esp. on stage. His first solo record was better than the second one in my opinion, but "the Southern Harmony...", "Amorica", "Shake Your Money Maker" and "Three Snakes" are hard to beat.
Saw and watched them backstage at one of the seven concerts I saw over the years (all of them in Germany), only Rich seemed a bit outta touch… Don´t like his solo stuff either. Open G stuff on a Tele w/ a humbucker at the neck sets a high standard.
But, gentlemen, please get your asses back together, call up Audley Freed or whoever is a brilliant #2 and keep the fire burnin´.
Part of the soundtrack of my live.
fillmore
Beautiful, Fillmore.

Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: October 9, 2014 17:03

I have met Chris, Rich, Jackie and Steve on a couple of occasions in the last couple of years and have found them all to be down to earth and exceptionally cool, especially Rich. They toured incessantly over the past few years and I humbly offer that they were playing better than ever together. Everyone is involved with solid solo projects for now but to say that they are over would be VERY premature. In a year or two I'm sure the Brothers Robinson will start writing together again and The Crowes will fly once more!!!

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 9, 2014 18:25

First two CDS were great all others decent

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 9, 2014 18:39

By Your Side was pretty damn good. It had that kickin' Crowes to it like the first two LPs.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1727
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home