Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT The end of The Black Crowes?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 9, 2014 18:46

This is... you don't need to watch the whole thing to see it/not see it but notice where the camera keeps going... and where it doesn't. Very strange.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 9, 2014 21:55

Living in Colorado, where they seem to love to play I have gotten to see Chris Robinson play so many times over the past year. I love the Crowes and thought their last double album may have been there best, saw them at Boulder theater last and they opened with a cool version of Let It Bleed. But with that said I'm really diggin the Chris Robinson Brotherhood. I really love Neal Casal's guitar playing and harmonizing. Him and Chris make a great songwriting team as well.

I think at some point down the road the Crowes will play again, or maybe the brothers will just do some acoustic shows. But they both seem happy doing their own thing now.

I'm going to see CRB on new years show starts at 9 and goes until 2. Can't wait

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: October 10, 2014 01:22

Ross Halfin Photographer Diary

Ross Halfin.com Diary April 2014

April 25

The Black Crowes

"Heard that The Black Crowes are finally no more. I like them, I always had a good time hanging out and working with them even when they were all arguing. My favourite line up is the first one before people became bitter. Here’s a photo from 1990 - hard to think it’s been twenty-four years since I first met them."

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 10, 2014 12:20

Fillmore
It would make me quite sad if the brothers called it quits. Didn´t mind the changes, love Ed Hawrysh aka Eddie Harsh, loved Johnny Colt and Gorman, really liked the original guitar player who was reanimated for the live shows that were recorded and released on record and video. Absolutely love Chris Robinson, esp. on stage. His first solo record was better than the second one in my opinion, but "the Southern Harmony...", "Amorica", "Shake Your Money Maker" and "Three Snakes" are hard to beat.
Saw and watched them backstage at one of the seven concerts I saw over the years (all of them in Germany), only Rich seemed a bit outta touch… Don´t like his solo stuff either. Open G stuff on a Tele w/ a humbucker at the neck sets a high standard.
But, gentlemen, please get your asses back together, call up Audley Freed or whoever is a brilliant #2 and keep the fire burnin´.
Part of the soundtrack of my live.
fillmore

+1

Sad news indeed.

A friend of mine - a fellow Stones fan, therefore with good taste in music - was visiting the US the year when Shake was released, after hearing Hard to Handle on the radio ran to buy a copy of the Crowes debut album. I can remember his excitement when he came back: you've got listen to this. When Twice as Hard finished, I said GREAT, after hearing the next track, Jealous Again, I was a fan.

I too saw them grow, I hailed Remedy as miracle, I suffered Taylorite Depression Syndrome when Ford quit the band (reason why for years I hated By Your Side), I saw them live many times, some of the best r'n'r gigs I've ever seen ...

I do hope they come back.

C

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: November 24, 2014 17:57

Chris Robinson : it's only rock & roll

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 24, 2014 18:26

so sad

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 24, 2014 19:47

They were OK but basically they recycled the 70's rock/boogie formula and sold it to people who weren't there in the 70's.
Theyreally worked hard at achieieving that retro sound. I remember them saying in 92 "yeah we recorded with an old board and old mikes. even the tape was old".

Recyclers? Yes. Innovators? No. Therefore I doubt they were that important...

Date: November 24, 2014 22:41

I've seen the Black Crowes twice, first opening up for ZZ top in '91 and solo in '95. They are a good solid band though definitely nothing extraordinary...

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: November 24, 2014 23:17

dcba
They were OK but basically they recycled the 70's rock/boogie formula and sold it to people who weren't there in the 70's.
Theyreally worked hard at achieieving that retro sound. I remember them saying in 92 "yeah we recorded with an old board and old mikes. even the tape was old".

To me they really did boogie, vintage or not. Saw them live in the strangest possible combinations, between "Die Toten Hosen" and Ac/Dc, opening for Neil Young and Crazy Horse, also with Skunk Anansie as their support and a couple of times on their own - and every time I simply loved them. They even surprised me - when Audley Freed (whom I had learned to love with his band "Cry of Love" ) replaced Gorman, or Ford, or whomever. Also "Brothers of a Feather kicks major butt for me, as well as the very early live recording from Ronnie Scotts Club in London. How great could a "comeback" be, compared to songs like "Go Faster" and "Kickin my heart around". Or later "Soul Singin". ??? As I said earlier in this thread, they helped through my younger years ("Seeing Things" ).
How important were / are they? Who´s to judge?
Did it ever happen to you that you liked someone madly whom most others found "weird"? Or, maybe more striking: were you, when in your teenage years, liked by someone everybody thought was "great", though you maybe were not that "officially acclaimed"? Were you "important"?
"Important" is a v e r y personal judgement. To me, the Crowes mean a whole freakin´ lot.
Just as other opinions do.
Peace, from my side.
Fillmore

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-24 23:29 by Fillmore.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: November 25, 2014 00:22

Lien, nice video, they also played Hot Stuff and Winter that night but haven't seen a clip of it.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: November 25, 2014 01:26

Lien, Hound Dog, when this concert happened ? it says feb 21st 2014 but i cannot find any concert in that date

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 25, 2014 02:38

Yeah, sorry but the Brotherhood just doesn't move me much. I mean not terrible, but not very inspiring as well. I mean come on Chris! A bloody music stand to remember lyrics that you probably had memorised when you were in high school. That is pretty lame.

The Crowes, while not innovators, and clearly purveyors of top quality music. And they do/did a damn fine job interpreting roots rock, heavy rock, and 70's groove, and added their own little twists on it as well. Great live band as well. I have seen them many many times and never was disappointed by a show of theirs. Let's hope the brothers decide soon it is time to get the Crowes flying again.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 25, 2014 15:57

Saw them last year in London supporting B Springsteen. Pretty good show apart from the tedious instrumental jam. Haven't bought any of their albums since Amorica but will check the bro's solo stuff. Will be a shame if their split is permanent.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 25, 2014 17:27

Father Ted
Saw them last year in London supporting B Springsteen. Pretty good show apart from the tedious instrumental jam. Haven't bought any of their albums since Amorica but will check the bro's solo stuff. Will be a shame if their split is permanent.

After 5 years of repeated listening, I think that the last BC's studio album, Before the Frost after the Freeze is the best of the lot - give it a try!

C

p.s. I find their instrumental jams the best part of the show!

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: November 26, 2014 02:38

Always liked this band...a Great live band for sure, never disappointed and they seemed to play what they were into, if the audience dug it that was cool, if not didn't seem to bother the band.

Like a lot of their releases, Southern Harmony, Amorica, 3 Snakes are my favorites...the two complete albums they had in the can forever are also quite good (Tall & Band)

Never could get completely into Before the Frost, After the Freeze....lots of good songs on it, just never clicked with me like the others

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 27, 2014 16:47

Some of the gigs I have seen by them where the worst I have seen, but they also did the best ever gig I witnessed -they did a 1 hour try-out in a small club in Amsterdam in 1999 or so, after By Your Side, and they just blew us away. It was really the most powerful gig I have ever seen, to date.

Mathijs

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 27, 2014 16:57

dcba

I think that's right, dead on.

They are a great band but because they didn't do anything really innovative history will mostly ignore their contribution.

Date: November 27, 2014 17:19

I've seen really bad, but also blistering performances by the Black Crowes.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: November 27, 2014 17:38

History can do what it likes, to me and thousands of others The Black Crowes were way more important than the over rated Nirvana for instance who history will remember. Long live Rock n Roll!

Date: November 28, 2014 02:36

geordiestone
History can do what it likes, to me and thousands of others The Black Crowes were way more important than the over rated Nirvana for instance who history will remember. Long live Rock n Roll!

I guess that's the point of disagreement...I really like the Black Crowes, but I don't think they are all that important.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 28, 2014 05:17

Spent some time with this band in the 90's. Back then they seemed to be a real true blue American rock and roll band. Then were conscientious of their playing and free spirited and open minded to the extreme. Good traits for people in their business. And they sure had some great weed, I don't remember any days where it wasn't present, although my memory is understandably foggy on details...smoking smiley peace

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: November 28, 2014 06:29

geordiestone
The next time someone tries to convince you that Nirvana created a new style of music,just direct them to this track around the 2 minute mark!

Date: November 28, 2014 17:46

bonddm
geordiestone
The next time someone tries to convince you that Nirvana created a new style of music,just direct them to this track around the 2 minute mark!

I don't think many are suggesting that Nirvana created a new style of music. They just popularized and brought back the simple rock formula in music that had been suffering from a case of polished pop and Motley Crue-ish vanity.

And although I enjoyed that track it reminds me more of the Sex Pistols than Nirvana. peace

Date: November 29, 2014 06:19

Naturalust
bonddm
geordiestone

I don't think many are suggesting that Nirvana created a new style of music. They just popularized and brought back the simple rock formula in music that had been suffering from a case of polished pop and Motley Crue-ish vanity.

And although I enjoyed that track it reminds me more of the Sex Pistols than Nirvana. peace

A bit poppish for my taste...reminds me a bit of the Violent Femmes, which I do like.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: November 30, 2014 06:39

The Black Crowes need to stay together because they have put out some of the best songs that are true to the heart of Rock & Roll over the past couple decades than most American bands. One of the few bands that truly remind me of The Rolling Stones both on record and in concert with the other being Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. I don't mind their side excursions but like Chris Robinson states at the beginning of this video they are best together.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 16, 2015 00:36

They have officially split up.
Rich just announced it.

The Black Crowes, the highly influential, critically and commercially successful band has disbanded, per an announcement today from founding member Rich Robinson. Robinson, the group’s guitarist and songwriter, founded the band with his brother Chris in their hometown of Marietta, GA. Their first album, Shake Your Money Maker, yielded multiple hit singles and has been RIAA certified as a multiplatinum (over 5 million) seller. Their follow up, The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion is, likewise, multiplatinum and rose to #1 on Billboard’s Top 100 Album Chart. The group’s catalog also includes additional RIAA-certified releases, including the critically acclaimed Amorica, By Your Side and a live collaboration with Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page.

Rich Robinson released a statement concerning the band’s conclusion in which he states, "It is with great disappointment and regret that after having the privilege of writing and performing the music of The Black Crowes over the last 24 years, I find myself in the position of saying that the band has broken up."

His statement continues, "I hold my time with the Black Crowes with the utmost respect and sincerest appreciation. It is a huge swath of my life's body of work. I couldn't be more proud of what we accomplished and deeply moved by the relationships people created and maintained with my music. That alone is the greatest honor of being a musician. I love my brother and respect his talent but his present demand that I must give up my equal share of the band and that our drummer for 28 years and original partner, Steve Gorman, relinquish 100% of his share, reducing him to a salaried employee, is not something I could agree to."

Robinson concludes, "There are so many people who have helped and supported us along the way. I want to give a heartfelt thank you to all of our fans, our friends behind the scenes, and to everyone who was a part of The Black Crowes.”

[www.jambase.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-16 00:44 by BowieStone.

Date: January 16, 2015 01:25

So Chris is making some demands that the others can't swallow. Strange that Rich is choosing to air the issues in public. I don't think we've heard the last of this situation.

peace

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: January 16, 2015 01:59

That's almost too hard to believe. Chris's demands, I mean.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: January 16, 2015 03:00

It would be hypocritical to the max. But it's quite possible that Chris landed the difficult triple Axl.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: January 16, 2015 04:14

Maybe Irving Azoff is managing Chris.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2057
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home