Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: The J. Geils Band is touring again
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 3, 2014 07:50

Roscoe
Seger must have brass balls to do this. Surely he must realize that The J. Geils Band could blow him off the stage every night. I don't say this out of hostility to Seger; it's just reality. (And yes, I've seen both bands more than a couple of times over the years.)
I know what you mean, but honestly all you have to look at are Seger's hits. You really can't say enough how much people EAT THAT UP and as long as he plays the songs people want to hear, they will go home happy. With J Geils, its more about energy blowing you away. With Seger, most people are coming to hear the songs they want to hear and as long as he delivers he doesn't have anything to lose.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: October 3, 2014 17:56

buffalo7478
MILKYWAY
I'll pass. Seeing the J. Geils Band without J. Geils is like seeing the Allman Brothers Band without Greg Allman. IMHO.

Not even close.

How about like Led Zeppelin without Jimmy Page? Wings without Paul McCartney? Nirvana without Kurt Cobain? The Jimi Hendrix Experience without Jimi Hendrix?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 3, 2014 20:13

MILKYWAY
buffalo7478
MILKYWAY
I'll pass. Seeing the J. Geils Band without J. Geils is like seeing the Allman Brothers Band without Greg Allman. IMHO.

Not even close.

How about like Led Zeppelin without Jimmy Page? Wings without Paul McCartney? Nirvana without Kurt Cobain? The Jimi Hendrix Experience without Jimi Hendrix?

More like:
The Stones w/o Ian Stewart.
Kiss w/o Ace Freeley
Fleetwood Mac w/o John McVie

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: kidquick185 ()
Date: October 3, 2014 22:53

I wish J. Geils was on the road as well, but I imagine Wolf will have his two guitarists, Duke Levine and Kevin Barry along. They are both excellent and frankly J. Geils won't be missed much at all.

The Geils band can still deliver and while I wish they were playing a headlining gig here in Chicago, I will be there to watch them open for Seger, who I have never seen before. Even if its only a 10 song hour long set, its better than nothing.....

Those who choose not to go because of Jay's absence will miss one helluva show!

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: October 4, 2014 05:40

Having had the good fortune of seeing Peter Wolf live probably two dozen times since he left Geils, I would say he is the J Geils Band-- He is the voice, he is the front man, and although J Geils was the guitarist and Seth Just man the keyboard man, and Magic Dick the harp man, without Wolf they are NOT the J Geils band---nobody wants to see them without Peter Wolf !

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: October 4, 2014 06:06

mr_dja
MILKYWAY
buffalo7478
MILKYWAY

Not even close.

More like:
Kiss w/o Ace Freeley

Peace,
Mr DJA

thumbs up and smileys with beer

Posted by: MidnightLurker ()
Date: October 4, 2014 07:24

I saw them play a 3-hour set at the House of Blues in Boston a couple of years ago. There was only about 1,000 people there but it was a great, great show. They still rock very hard, and sound just as good as they did back in the 70s. They will sound great but it will obviously be a short set opening for Seeger. If you have Peter there, you are seeing the real JGB.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: October 4, 2014 09:50

great band

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-04 09:52 by backstreetboy1.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 4, 2014 18:35

buffalo7478

I saw Geils on a bill that went: Donovan, then J Geils, then Seger then headliner Yes in maybe 1977 or 78 in a stadium. I went out and wandered around during Seger's set. This time I will see Geils, then leave and revel in the memory of the 10 songs they maybe get to play..better than nothing.

I was there. It was a beautiful sunny day, that much I remember well.

Posted by: Rockfield78 ()
Date: October 5, 2014 10:41

Went with a group of friends to see a J Geils/Peter Frampton show in 1977. J Geils opened and blew the roof off the place. The girls we were with didn't care for them...they stuck around for Frampton. Us guys went out to the van, drank cold beer and got high. Bitches don't know nuthin' about good rock and roll.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: October 15, 2014 21:48

Has anyone listened to Bob Seger's new album Ride Out? Thoughts?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 15, 2014 23:45

Roscoe
Seger must have brass balls to do this. Surely he must realize that The J. Geils Band could blow him off the stage every night. I don't say this out of hostility to Seger; it's just reality. (And yes, I've seen both bands more than a couple of times over the years.)

Sorry but couldn't disagree with you more on that one. Seger's band is hot, his voice is strong and their catalog is ALOT better that the J. Geils band. peace

Date: October 16, 2014 10:01

JohnnyBGoode
Its ok, but IMO disappointing. I LOVE Seger, and he was one of my first musical idols, so I have a soft spot for the guy. His 70s albums and half of his 80s albums are fantastic. He had a great run for awhile. He dropped off, and here's the problem. He came back so incredible strong with Face The Promise like 8 years ago. That was a SOLID record and even though it wasn't a "Night Moves", it was a great comeback album with all the songs having something pretty good to offer.

Taking 8 years didn't help his case. Like I said, I love the guy and even I kind of laughed and didn't care when I heard he was actually coming out with a new record. He threatened it for so long that I just sort of lost interest, but obviously I had to get it when it finally came out. The result is a half good album. Its not a great effort, as I don't think there's anything here people NEED, but some of the songs are decent. A fair amount of covers and originals that are subpar at times. The songs where he takes on the environment and stuff like that are almost laughably bad to me, as they just seem like an old guy lecturing me about pollution and stuff. It doesn't have that subtlety an artist needs.

All in all, I give him credit for putting something out, and there are a few songs that sound really good. Overall his voice holds up well. But IMO its an album that you could easily pass by and not miss anything. IMO its not really worth the $10 or whatever to buy in the store.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 16, 2014 17:57

Best American live band EVER.
Then and now.

Go see them if you can.

Date: October 16, 2014 18:17

I wouldn't go on after this...

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: October 16, 2014 18:34

mr_dja
MILKYWAY
buffalo7478
MILKYWAY

Not even close.

More like:
Kiss w/o Ace Freeley

Peace,
Mr DJA

Exactly!

Date: October 16, 2014 18:43

mr_dja
MILKYWAY
buffalo7478
MILKYWAY

Not even close.

More like:
Kiss w/o Ace Frehley

Peace,
Mr DJA

>grinning smiley<grinning smiley

Btw, Kiss without Ace was surprisingly good. Saw them a couple years ago.

And I used to think Ace was the only good musician in that band smiling smiley

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 16, 2014 19:11

MILKYWAY

Like seeing Ronnie instead of Mick Taylor

Date: October 16, 2014 19:23

Nah. Ronnie is cool

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: October 16, 2014 21:38

JohnnyBGoode

It's excellent except for a couple of "topical" dirges about global warming. When you drop those you have a great album reminisent of Bob's early '70s era recordings for Reprise. The songs have marvelous hooks and a bounce and swagger that has been lacking from his major label stuff - including the one from 2006. The production is not overcooked and the sound isn't too streamlined. The band sounds like they're playing in your living room.

If you're in the States the TARGET version has two extra songs over and above the three extra you get in the "deluxe" edition. Excise "It's Your World" and "Fireman's Talking" and you have a 13 track masterpiece.

Date: October 16, 2014 21:50

Yeah well Jagger did Sweet Neocon and that ruined that album!

Date: October 16, 2014 21:58

DandelionPowderman

Lots of energy there, but the song and lyrics are a bit lame. Performance is pretty good and I like the way they change the tempo. But overall I thing Seger could rip this up with one of his standards like "Fire Down Below". peace

Date: October 16, 2014 22:06

..which tells me you never saw The J Geils band

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 16, 2014 22:14

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

Lots of energy there, but the song and lyrics are a bit lame. Performance is pretty good and I like the way they change the tempo. But overall I thing Seger could rip this up with one of his standards like "Fire Down Below". peace

Uhmmmm...
The song was first recorded in the early sixties by The Valentinos and Bobby Womack. It's a stone-cold classic.
J. Geils' live version of this song is unfuckingbeatable. By Seger or ANYBODY.

In my humble opinion...

Date: October 16, 2014 22:16

rbk
JohnnyBGoode

It's excellent except for a couple of "topical" dirges about global warming. When you drop those you have a great album reminisent of Bob's early '70s era recordings for Reprise. The songs have marvelous hooks and a bounce and swagger that has been lacking from his major label stuff - including the one from 2006. The production is not overcooked and the sound isn't too streamlined. The band sounds like they're playing in your living room.

If you're in the States the TARGET version has two extra songs over and above the three extra you get in the "deluxe" edition. Excise "It's Your World" and "Fireman's Talking" and you have a 13 track masterpiece.
Lol so we couldn't have given him more different reviews!

Date: October 16, 2014 22:27

Kurt
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

Uhmmmm...
The song was first recorded in the early sixties by The Valentinos and Bobby Womack. It's a stone-cold classic.
J. Geils' live version of this song is unfuckingbeatable. By Seger or ANYBODY.

In my humble opinion...

+1

Date: October 16, 2014 22:35

Must admit, you're right I never have. But I did watch the video posted here and that is what I was commenting on. I would welcome you to post a video of what you consider their best live stuff, I'll surely check it out.

What I remember most about J Geils band is their stuff from early MTV videos which I never really liked. peace

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: October 16, 2014 23:16

RollingFreak
rbk
JohnnyBGoode

Lol so we couldn't have given him more different reviews!

Huh?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 16, 2014 23:51

Naturalust

Must admit, you're right I never have. But I did watch the video posted here and that is what I was commenting on. I would welcome you to post a video of what you consider their best live stuff, I'll surely check it out.

What I remember most about J Geils band is their stuff from early MTV videos which I never really liked. peace

I can assure you that their 70's albums were significantly better than the 80's albums. Their first two live albums were fantastic. It just happend that their 80's albums were much more popular & thus tend to be what people remember them for which is kind of a shame in my opinion.

I don't know that you'll have your opinion changed (not sure that you should) by watching any of these videos but I will say, as a BIG fan of both Seger & JGB, I own Seger's live albums & greatest hits albums and I own J Geils live albums & all their studio albums (except the last one). I actually play and listen to the J Geils live albums far more often than I do the Seger live albums. And that's coming from the prespective of a bass player who will tell you that much of his earliest bass instruction came from playing along to Chris Campbell's lines on "Nine Tonight". Hopefully you'll just enjoy some vintage live J Geils Band! smileys with beer

Peace, Mr DJA

Taken from 1979 Rockplast Show:

Taken from 1979 Boston Garden Show

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 17, 2014 04:19

J Giles released one of the all time top live albums to party to. Blow Your Face Out. I am from Detroit, and Bob Seger was always on heavy FM rotation in Detroit, but it was the J Giles band that blues hard rockers adopted. And their Detroit/MI shows are legendary. Pine Knob and Cobo Arena saw some of the finest blues based rock from J Giles. Sorry, I know it is all personal taste, but J Giles blew and blows Seger away. Yeah sure, their later stuff wasn't too great, Centerfold and Love Stinks, but their 70's catalog is up there with the classics. And their live shows were stunning!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2051
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home