Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: The J. Geils Band is touring again
Date: October 2, 2014 10:06

From Peter Wolf's Facebook:

Hey all you Woofa Goofa fans. Peter Wolf will be hittin' the road with the J. Geils Band and some select dates with Bob Seger this November and December!...

Below are a list of dates, please check the events section for ticket links.

11/14 Detroit, MI The Fillmore
11/22 Bangor, ME Cross Insurance Center (w/Seger)
11/29 Boston, MA TD Garden (w/Seger)
12/2 Albany, NY Times Union Center (w/Seger)
12/4 Cleveland, OH Quicken Loans Arena (w/Seger)
12/6 Uncasville, CT Mohegan Sun Arena (w/Seger)
12/9 Grand Rapids MI Van Andel Arena (w/Seger)
12/11 Chicago, IL United Center (w/Seger)
12/13 St Louis, MO Scottrade Center (w/Seger)
12/16 Westbury, NY Theatre at Westbury
12/17 Buffalo, NY First Niagara Center (w/Seger)
12/19 New York, NY Madison Square Garden (w/Seger)

Re: OT: The J. Geils Band is touring again
Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: October 2, 2014 15:04

DandelionPowderman

Hey all you Woofa Goofa fans. Peter Wolf will be hittin' the road with the J. Geils Band and some select dates with Bob Seger this November and December!...

EUROPE....?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 2, 2014 15:25

who is playing drums this time around ?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 2, 2014 15:25

I refuse to be disappointed by the fact that, once again, they won't be anywhere near me (I've longs since given up on that thought)... I wonder what the odds that I can convince my wife that a 475 mile, 7 hour trip to St. Louis makes sense. I do have the night off. She's always wanted to see Seger and who knows, the fact that J Geils is opening the show might just make her interested! Cross your fingers for my negotiating skills!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: October 2, 2014 15:34

DandelionPowderman

Good luck to them but they broke up just when they got really popular on a Stones tour. They could have really cleaned up and made millions if they stuck together for another 5-10 years.

They broke up 30 years ago. My take is they can all use the cash so are on a limited tour. They still hate each other but need the money.

For me J Geils is at the top of groups that broke up at the wrong time. Not too many people remember them these days. Their time was 30 years ago. Fame is a very perishable commodity.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-02 15:35 by triceratops.

Date: October 2, 2014 15:39

33 years ago they became stars. They really deserved that break, after working hard for over 14 years.

30 years ago they release the clunker over all clunkers without Wolf, imo.

I would have seen them today anyhow, even without Stephen Joe and J.Geils. They really should get back together again, do an album and a proper tour, though.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: October 2, 2014 15:43

Actually, they are the J. Geils-less band now but Jay was the least consequntial player in the whole outfit. In recent years they run through the old set like it was still 1975-76 and then tack the MTV era songs on at the end. I'm seeing them open for Seger so it'll be interesting to see how they play a shorter set. I haven't seen them do that since they opened for the Stones in 1975.

Date: October 2, 2014 16:14

triceratops
DandelionPowderman

Good luck to them but they broke up just when they got really popular on a Stones tour. They could have really cleaned up and made millions if they stuck together for another 5-10 years.

They broke up 30 years ago. My take is they can all use the cash so are on a limited tour. They still hate each other but need the money.

For me J Geils is at the top of groups that broke up at the wrong time. Not too many people remember them these days. Their time was 30 years ago. Fame is a very perishable commodity.....

Although your post could be accurate, I'm not sure that being pop music stars, cleaning up and making millions for 5-10 years was really what those guys wanted from music. Although I highly doubt they would have turned down the money, being successful and being famous are two very different things. After 15 years of moderate success, they got famous and the band blew up. Possibly the "fame" that they so briefly attained is what caused them to break up.

I would have loved to see the J. Geils Band that I knew and loved go on into the 90's and beyond churning out their brand of blues/funk/soul/rock&roll. I don't know if I would have enjoyed them as a pop band (though I wish I had the chance to find out!). Although they never really became “pop stars” and thus missed out on what could have been a large payday, possibly the individual musicians involved and the collective entity of the band stopped at just the right time.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 2, 2014 16:23

DandelionPowderman
33 years ago they became stars. They really deserved that break, after working hard for over 14 years.

I would have seen them today anyhow, even without Stephen Joe and J.Geils. They really should get back together again, do an album and a proper tour, though.

Yes.
Yes. (*)
and Yes.

(*) Except I wouldn't be quite as hard on that last album. While it was, without a doubt, my least favorite album they did, there were a few songs on there that I still enjoy today. I just wish Wolf was on there as well. On a side note: I always find it interesting that the two albums I can't find to complete my J Geils/Peter Wolf collection are their last and his first. Also find it interesting that, when my mind replays songs from those albums in my head, all of the horrible 80's production sounds are gone and only the songs remain.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 2, 2014 16:27

rbk
Actually, they are the J. Geils-less band now but Jay was the least consequntial player in the whole outfit. In recent years they run through the old set like it was still 1975-76 and then tack the MTV era songs on at the end. I'm seeing them open for Seger so it'll be interesting to see how they play a shorter set. I haven't seen them do that since they opened for the Stones in 1975.

Agreed.

As I ponder the concept of a long trip to catch them w/ Seger, the thing that is casting doubt is the short opening set as opposed to the headline set. Unfortunately the two shows they're doing as headliners are not possible for me to attend.

Hope you enjoy the Seger show! Which one are you going to?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 2, 2014 16:28

mr_dja
DandelionPowderman

Yes.
Yes. (*)
and Yes.

(*) Except I wouldn't be quite as hard on that last album. While it was, without a doubt, my least favorite album they did, there were a few songs on there that I still enjoy today. I just wish Wolf was on there as well. On a side note: I always find it interesting that the two albums I can't find to complete my J Geils/Peter Wolf collection are their last and his first. Also find it interesting that, when my mind replays songs from those albums in my head, all of the horrible 80's production sounds are gone and only the songs remain.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Yeah, I was a bit harsh on that last album. What annoys me about it, though, is that it was so evident that Justman was calling the shots musically and production-wise. I know it's not fair, since I didn't listen to this album back in the day, but 20 years later when it was hopelessly dated.

Why can't you find those albums - they're not available in your stores? I just stumbled over a new vinyl version of the debut album here in Norway (180 g vinyl), and You're Gettin' Even While I'm Gettin' Odd is everywhere here in the discount bin...

Date: October 2, 2014 16:49

DandelionPowderman
mr_dja
DandelionPowderman

Yes.
Yes. (*)
and Yes.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Yeah, I was a bit harsh on that last album. What annoys me about it, though, is that it was so evident that Justman was calling the shots musically and production-wise. I know it's not fair, since I didn't listen to this album back in the day, but 20 years later when it was hopelessly dated.

Why can't you find those albums - they're not available in your stores? I just stumbled over a new vinyl version of the debut album here in Norway (180 g vinyl), and You're Gettin' Even While I'm Gettin' Odd is everywhere here in the discount bin...

I should have stated that I can't find them "at reasonable prices on CD on the web". I don't have equipment to play vinyl anymore so that leaves me wanting on that front. Then add the fact that Knoxville isn't the greatest place for used CDs and a virtual black hole for used vinyl and you see what I'm up against. Right now, all I've been able to get of those albums is converted youtube videos whice are OK but, I think you know what it's like to be a fan and a "targeted compleatest" smiling smiley You've increased my opimism though... Nice to know that, if I keep looking, they're "findable"!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 2, 2014 16:56

I see... Yeah, a quick search on the online used market showed horrific prices for You're getting even... eye popping smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 2, 2014 17:32

Wouldn't they sound like crap? At least we're used to the Stones decline and don't have much expectations. I can't see enjoying a decrepit, slowed down version of cuts from their brilliant 'Full House' live album. I'm afraid it would be like that pitiful, molasses in January time that Cream were when they reunited. These groups that try and come back after long periods just don't have the chops. Look how long it took the Stones to get up to an acceptable speed. They were really slow on the 2013 American tour and didn't really shake off the rust until Europe 2014. I saw Jeff Beck & ZZ Top this summer and they were great, but they're road dogs, usually touring every year.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 2, 2014 17:45

24FPS
At least we're used to the Stones decline and don't have much expectations.

?? Could you please rephrase that the way it (probably) is intended?
Like - "At least I am used to what I consider to be the Stones' decline, and therefore I don't have much expectations (whenever I go see them)"...!?

Date: October 2, 2014 17:50

24FPS
Wouldn't they sound like crap? At least we're used to the Stones decline and don't have much expectations. I can't see enjoying a decrepit, slowed down version of cuts from their brilliant 'Full House' live album. I'm afraid it would be like that pitiful, molasses in January time that Cream were when they reunited. These groups that try and come back after long periods just don't have the chops. Look how long it took the Stones to get up to an acceptable speed. They were really slow on the 2013 American tour and didn't really shake off the rust until Europe 2014. I saw Jeff Beck & ZZ Top this summer and they were great, but they're road dogs, usually touring every year.

Although your logic is incredibly sound, for some reason, most of the reviews I've read (and internet clips I've seen) during and after other Geils mini-tours don't seem to mention the issues you brought up. Note: I am not speeking from personal experience (How I wish I was). I'm right with you that I wouldn't want a watered-down "Full House" album performance. Somehow they seem to slip right back into the groove we expect & desire.

Great... Now I'm going to spend the rest of the day trying to think of why Cream & The Stones take so long to get warmed up but Geils appears to "not show the rust".

Seriously though... thanks for giving me something to THINK about as well as an excuse to go looking for recent J Geils videos! Only wish there were more in better quality to look at and compare.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: October 2, 2014 18:42

Oh this is just sad. J. Geils Band without J. Geils?? Fitting that they're touring with Seger: Olde Tyme Rock n Roll has taken over Proud Mary's spot as the song everyone's drunk uncle dances to at weddings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-02 18:53 by TheBadRabbit.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 2, 2014 19:05

I'm not a big J Geils fan, but I know enough by this. At least the Blow Your Face Out album. I can't speak for the rest of the band, but despite all odds (I guess just age) Peter Wolf still has it. I saw him earlier this year in a solo show and he was above expectations. He's nearly 70 and he's moving around like someone 20 or 30 years younger. I don't know how the others are, but I know Wolf isn't the weak link and I doubt the others have as much to worry about. They never tour with the original drummer, so as long as he can keep time to not "water down the songs", they should sound fine.

I agree its odd and funny that they tour now as J Geils without J Geils, but thats very recent. I don't know how he was since I never saw them live, but the reviews seem to still be positive, and like I said Wolf still has it which I assume has always been the main focus. I'm a sucker for seeing original bands, so I get being disappointed that J isn't there, but if you've never seen them and are a fan, I don't think that should stand in your way.

An opening act and far away? Yes, those are logical reasons that maybe its not worth it. Personally I'd love to go, but I've seen Seger 3 times and he doesn't play enough different to justify the price. It would be about $90 for Seger and $50 for J Geils, and while I really want to see Geils, that price is too high for Seger for a show I've pretty much seen several times over already. If he busts out a new setlist with some good shit (even change the opening song), I'll be there.

Date: October 2, 2014 19:13

RoughJusticeOnYa
24FPS
At least we're used to the Stones decline and don't have much expectations.

?? Could you please rephrase that the way it (probably) is intended?
Like - "At least I am used to what I consider to be the Stones' decline, and therefore I don't have much expectations (whenever I go see them)"...!?

Is there some dispute about the Stones' decline? It's age for god's sake. Charlie doesn't have the snap he had in '99, and I don't expect him to. And Keith can barely form a chord due to his raging arthritis. But if it makes you feel better, 'I think the Stones are in deep decline. I am the only one in the known universe who feels this way. I, and I alone, do not have much expectations when I go see them. (Which I see no reason to ever do again unless it snows in June (northern hemisphere), sun goes round the moon, etc.)

But I'd love to think J. Geils could still get hard. I'd much rather see them than a stadium of old fogies waving their I-Phones solemnly and joining in the never ending chorus of 'Against The Wind'.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: October 2, 2014 19:13

I saw them about 2 years ago without J Geils. They were GREAT

Peter Wolf is the second best front man ever.

Date: October 2, 2014 19:33

RollingFreak

An opening act and far away? Yes, those are logical reasons that maybe its not worth it. Personally I'd love to go, but I've seen Seger 3 times and he doesn't play enough different to justify the price. It would be about $90 for Seger and $50 for J Geils, and while I really want to see Geils, that price is too high for Seger for a show I've pretty much seen several times over already. If he busts out a new setlist with some good shit (even change the opening song), I'll be there.

Wow... Were you trying to transcribe my thought process? You nailed it. Between the distance, the cost, the fact that I've seen Seger play roughly the same show on three different tours and Geils would most likely only be doing a shorter opening set as opposed to a longer headline set makes me hope my wife gets excited by this idea. I know me... I'll talk myself out of this idea but she's never seen Seger so that won't be a factor for her. The fact that he plays the same greatest hits set could actually make her want to see it more.

24fps -> LOVE that last line of your second post... Waving I-phones solomnly... too funny! Also, I think your first "decline" statement was better than the revised version, regardless of what the maketing department may claim.

alhavul -> Thanks for the first-hand report.

Somehow I'm going to see them live. I'd be happy as a pig in slop to see Peter Wolf solo but could cross an item off my bucket list if I could see a J. Geils Band show. Even without J. & Stephen Jo, I'd be OK with it. I do wish J. would come back on board (I understand that Stephen Jo is physically unable to play an entire show anymore) as it was him that I actually got to meet back in high school and seeing him on stage with his namesake and one of my favorite bands would make a bit of difference to me.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: October 3, 2014 01:14

Three things:

1. Sucks they are opening for Seger, but glad they are out playing.

2. Comment above about decline: this band still has it, and frankly sound better with two incredible guitarists. They would frankly blow the Stones off the stage (and a lot of other bands). Magic Dick still wails. Peter Wolf is grooving, Seth Justman is tight and DK lays down a funky groove. They are maybe better for taking a long break and sounded very fresh when I last saw them 2 years ago.

3. No cash grab needed. I promoted shows in the late 70s and early 80s and J Geils was one of the acts I did. Very smart guys, smartly banking cash for retirement and allow independence, at a time when most rockers were snorting up, or shooting up their money. I am sure they are fine.

I saw Geils on a bill that went: Donovan, then J Geils, then Seger then headliner Yes in maybe 1977 or 78 in a stadium. I went out and wandered around during Seger's set. This time I will see Geils, then leave and revel in the memory of the 10 songs they maybe get to play..better than nothing.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 3, 2014 01:38

ROCKMAN

Posted by: sirdoug ()
Date: October 3, 2014 01:56

Yes! I have that single. B-side "Get Down". Geils does a great cover. I saw the band twice in the early 70's; the show in Central Park was memorable.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: October 3, 2014 02:05

I'll pass. Seeing the J. Geils Band without J. Geils is like seeing the Allman Brothers Band without Greg Allman. IMHO.

Date: October 3, 2014 02:42

buffalo7478
Three things:

This time I will see Geils, then leave and revel in the memory of the 10 songs they maybe get to play..better than nothing.

Maybe if they get a good enough reception they can go out and tour mid-sized venues on their own, like the Greek in LA, or, god willing, team 'em up on a Jeff Beck double bill and blast the summer of 2015 away. Whama-f-ing-Jamma.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 3, 2014 03:10

Well I sure wish I could go to the show in Detroit. That will sell out fast. They aren't warming up for Seeger and playing the Fillmore, a great venue downtown. It'll be a stomping time. J Giles love Detroit and Detroit love Giles. And as long as they have Peter Wolf then it's worth going. The man is amazing. I saw him at the Ark a few months ago and it was one of the best shows I have seen. He's still got it!

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: October 3, 2014 03:52

MILKYWAY
I'll pass. Seeing the J. Geils Band without J. Geils is like seeing the Allman Brothers Band without Greg Allman. IMHO.

Not even close. Greg Allman was the lead singer and songwriter of Allman brothers and the identity of the band, first with his brother, then Dickey Betts, then on his own.

J Geils simply had his name on the band, as when they started he was the leader, but by the time they were playing bars in 1968 he was just a piece of the ensemble that was the J Geils Band. The band was never 'guitar driven' and he was not really a writer of songs, did not sing and had little stage presence. Nice guy, decent guitarist, But maybe the least critical part of the machine...just happened to have his name.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 3, 2014 04:13

Spot on buffalo! What defined J Giles was Peter Wolf and Magic D.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: October 3, 2014 06:52

Seger must have brass balls to do this. Surely he must realize that The J. Geils Band could blow him off the stage every night. I don't say this out of hostility to Seger; it's just reality. (And yes, I've seen both bands more than a couple of times over the years.)

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home