Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ian Stewart's finest moments?
Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: October 1, 2014 15:54

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I wonder if I could have a few suggestions for Stu's finest recorded moments with the band.

I work as a tour guide in Scotland, driving a minibus and giving commentary on the places we visit to tourists from all over the world. I also select music to play on the tours, which has to be Scottish or have a Scottish connection (sometimes a fairly tenuous one!).

When passing through Pittenweem, Fife on the way to St Andrews, I regail my guests with Stu's story. The vast majority have never heard of him of course but find the story quite interesting. I had to decide to pick which Stones song to put on my playlist, and felt it had to be one where Stu's piano is at its best and most prominent. I had to check the musician's credits on all of the old albums to make sure I wasn't including a Nicky Hopkins or Billy Preston track. Bit of a problem for Tattoo You but I picked one of the earlier songs in the end - Down The Road Apiece. Great boogie-woogie piano coming out of one speaker from the rightful Laird of Pittenweem, and quite high up in the mix too.

Any other suggestions? I can add another couple of songs to give myself a bit of variety.

Re: Ian Stewart's finest moments?
Date: October 1, 2014 16:05

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 1, 2014 16:07

Last track of Dirty Work

C

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: October 1, 2014 16:55

"Little Queenie" from Ya Yas

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: October 1, 2014 17:45

Although not with the Stones one of Ian Stewart's finest moments can be heard on Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti album on "Boogie with Stu" ( The song was recorded when Led Zeppelin was set up in Headley Grange. They were using the Rolling Stones mobile recording unit and Stu stopped in. There was an old piano in the main room that was slightly out of tune. Stu was playing it and Jimmy Page was tuning his guitar to how the piano was out of tune. Tape was rolling and everything was pretty much improvised from Bonzo's drumming to the lyrics Plant was singing.)
I am sure this track would certainly give you more variety and emphasize the calibre of the man whilst you are driving visitors around Scotland.
I wish Fife Council would put a Welcome to Pittenweem Birthplace of Rolling Stones Founder Member Ian Stewart Sign at each end of the village.
Maybe some day...............

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 1, 2014 17:47

hello, HonkyTonkJan-

glad you posted and that you're telling folks about Ian Stewart- I've

always thought his importance to the Stones is much greater than most realize.

can you tell me though, what this means: " rightful Laird of Pittenweem"

I know the Stones loved Stu and his playing and his humor, and the way he steered them literally and figuratively..

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 1, 2014 18:03

HonkyTonkJan, Think it's absolutely FAB that you are giving Stew this little tribute. He'd get a kick out of it!

I think "Little Queenie" and "Boogie With Stew" might work best and get 'em rockin' and rollin'

Be sure and tell your tour folks how proud he was to be Scottish!

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: October 1, 2014 18:08

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 1, 2014 18:41

2120 S. Michigan Ave. Stu on organ. Around and Around, Confessin' The Blues. Little Queenie from the 69 tour just to name a few gems.

Great post. Keep up the good work!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 1, 2014 18:41

Rock and Roll - a good contribution from Stu

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 1, 2014 22:21

Around & Around, Down The Road Apiece and That's How Strong My Love Is.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 1, 2014 22:23

Let It Bleed, She Was Hot

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: October 1, 2014 22:31

mtaylor
Rock and Roll - a good contribution from Stu

thumbs up

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 1, 2014 22:45

I think his finest moment is getting unceremoniously dumped and sticking with that lot.

A true gentleman.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: October 1, 2014 22:48

Go back and check out the piano on "Who's Driving your Plane?" That's certainly a lost gem of Stu's since it is such a rarity to most folks.

Also, the live Down the Road Apiece and 20 Flight Rock from the 1981 are pretty darn good with Stu high in the mix

HBK

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 1, 2014 23:18

Stu Ball

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 2, 2014 00:33

Silver Dagger
Around & Around, Down The Road Apiece and That's How Strong My Love Is.

Can't believe it took this long for Down the Road Apiece to get a mention! One of my very favorites on their early albums, thanks to Stu. My copy of the album is now almost unplayable because I dropped the needle on this track when I was playing the outro over and over. grinning smiley

(Except in the original post, of course--I still think this was your best pick!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-02 03:58 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: October 2, 2014 00:47

Thanks for all the suggestions, especially "Who's Driving..." - I'd totally forgotten that one. And I learned something new too - I didn't know that was Stu on "Rock n Roll". Listening to it now, it seems obvious.

When you look at the early photos, you can see why it was thought that his image didn't fit in with the others. They are all skinny with long hair and he is a big, chunky bloke with short back n sides. The difference is even greater in the 70s when you can see photos of the band's outrageous clothes and hairstyles, and there is Stu in the background with his chinos, loafers, polo shirt and same haircut. Definitely his own man!

Several years ago in Edinburgh I attended a screening of "Charlie is my Darling" with a Q&A session with Andrew Loog Oldham afterwards. I asked him if he ever regretted asking Ian Stewart to step into the background. He joked about being careful what he says as he was in Scotland, but then said that although it was his idea, he did not remember any band members arguing with him about it. Many years later he was alone with Stu and it crossed his mind that if Stu held any grudges, he was a much bigger man than Oldham, and he wouldn't have stood a chance if he wanted to take revenge. Of course, Stu was the perfect gentleman and Andrew had nothing to worry about.

To answer Duke Richardson's query, The Rightful Laird of Pittenweem is what Stu used to refer to himself as, according to Keef in "Life". "Laird" is just the Scottish way of saying "Lord".

Incidentally, the last time the Stones stayed in Edinburgh, it was reported in the local paper that Mick had been seen in the town next to Pittenweem in a hotel bar drinking a Guinness, having paid a visit to the home of his old pal and co-founder member of the band.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: October 2, 2014 01:36

Brown Sugar - studio version. Listen to the way the piano builds on intensity in each chorus.....

And Happy from live in Texas 78 - love the way Stu is high in the mix so we can hear his genius.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 2, 2014 03:21

john lomax
And Happy from live in Texas 78 - love the way Stu is high in the mix so we can hear his genius.

This?

Posted by: erad ()
Date: October 2, 2014 05:21

DandelionPowderman

I've got this on a bootleg cd called 'Bright Lights Big City', have it on the car all the time. A great compilation!

Date: October 2, 2014 09:45

erad
DandelionPowderman

I've got this on a bootleg cd called 'Bright Lights Big City', have it on the car all the time. A great compilation!

Also known as "The Chess Sessions". Great stuff indeed thumbs up

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 2, 2014 10:40

I can understand why the visitors are interested in Stu's story, well done on sharing it! I'd go with "Boogie With Stu" too, what a groove!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: October 2, 2014 18:35

Slightly Stones-related, but check out Rocket 88--the boogie-woogie band that Stu and Charlie put together. They have only 1 album, recorded live. Jack Bruce on string bass, Alexis Korner sings on a couple of tunes. The whole thing swings like crazy. Stu wrote the very entertaining liner notes.

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: October 2, 2014 18:56

The coda that concluded "Dirty Work" was a lovely bit of playing by Stu. The problem was it was too short and left me wanting to hear more of just the man and his piano.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 2, 2014 18:58

TheBadRabbit
Slightly Stones-related, but check out Rocket 88--the boogie-woogie band that Stu and Charlie put together. They have only 1 album, recorded live. Jack Bruce on string bass, Alexis Korner sings on a couple of tunes. The whole thing swings like crazy. Stu wrote the very entertaining liner notes.

I did a search for this the other day and couldn't seem to find it... Do you have any links that you could provide to point myself and others in the right direction?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 2, 2014 19:03

mr_dja
TheBadRabbit

I did a search for this the other day and couldn't seem to find it... Do you have any links that you could provide to point myself and others in the right direction?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Yikes! I just checked Amazon and the prices for the CD are ridiculous. But, you can get it as an MP3 for $6.99 US: [www.amazon.com] Unfortunately, Stu is on just one number, but it's still a fun record. You can read Stu's liner notes here: [alexis-korner.net]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-02 19:21 by TheBadRabbit.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 2, 2014 19:05

TheBadRabbit
mr_dja
TheBadRabbit

Peace,
Mr DJA

Yikes! I just checked Amazon and the prices for the CD are ridiculous. But, you can get it as an MP3 for $6.99 US: [www.amazon.com] Unfortunately, Stu is on just one number, but it's still a fun record.

Thanks for the quick reply and the link. I must not have looked hard/clicked deep enough as I think I remember that album cover from my search the other day! Ooops!

Thanks again for the link.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 2, 2014 19:27

mr_dja
TheBadRabbit
mr_dja
TheBadRabbit

Peace,
Mr DJA

Yikes! I just checked Amazon and the prices for the CD are ridiculous. But, you can get it as an MP3 for $6.99 US: [www.amazon.com] Unfortunately, Stu is on just one number, but it's still a fun record.

Thanks for the quick reply and the link. I must not have looked hard/clicked deep enough as I think I remember that album cover from my search the other day! Ooops!

Thanks again for the link.

Peace,
Mr DJA

You're welcome! I've edited my post above to include a link to the liner notes on an Alexis Korner web site.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 2, 2014 21:36

Stu even gets a songwriting credit on Boogie With Stu so I would think that helped him out alot financially since all Zep albums have sold huge. I'm not sure if he was included in writing credits on Nanker Phelge credited songs?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1296
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home