Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Few questions about Performance film
Posted by: LadyJane12 ()
Date: October 1, 2014 11:09

Why did James Fox stop acting after the production of Performance?
How was Mick's relationship with Anita?
Where are made the furnishings?
Last but no least, what's your favorite song from the soundtrack of the film?

Re: Few questions about Performance film
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 1, 2014 11:14

LadyJane12
How was Mick's relationship with Anita?
Where are made the furnishings?
Last but no least, what's your favorite song from the soundtrack of the film?

I can only answer to the last one: "Memo From Turner".

- Doxa

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 1, 2014 11:43

<<Why did James Fox stop acting after the production of Performance?>>

He suffered a nervous breakdown, which he discusses a bit in this 2008 Guardian article: [www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 1, 2014 11:45

LadyJane12

I didn't know he did.
(And apparently, he only did for 10 years or so...)

But according to [ Wikipedia ], it had to do with the death of his father, a.o.;
the film 'Performance' also had made him wonder about himself & his role as an actor/ in the film industry...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 1, 2014 11:55

RoughJusticeOnYa
LadyJane12

I didn't know he did.
(And apparently, he only did for 10 years or so...)

But according to [ Wikipedia ], it had to do with the death of his father, a.o.;
the film 'Performance' also had made him wonder about himself & his role as an actor/ in the film industry...

I read somewhere that he joined a Christian cult or maybe just got religion. But he certainly dropped out of acting. Before the filming Donald Cammell encouraged some memthod acting and he would hang out with east London gangs to adopt the role he was going to play. I even read he joined a gang on a cat burgle once but that may just be fantasy.

Date: October 1, 2014 11:58

How can anybody on this board argue against Memo From Turner being the best song. But I sure love this one too -

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 1, 2014 12:01

According to Keith's book he, James Fox the actor, joined a sect known as the Navigators.

The whole soundtrack has a charm of its own, and I happen to like it all, and not just the Memo From Turner track.

Date: October 1, 2014 12:52

tomcasagranda
According to Keith's book he, James Fox the actor, joined a sect known as the Navigators.

The whole soundtrack has a charm of its own, and I happen to like it all, and not just the Memo From Turner track.

Yes, totally agree, and if you lived in and around Notting Hill Gate, west London - where the Turner house was - in the late 60s/early 70s that kind of mystic/black/psychedelic music formed the soundtrack of the day.

Date: October 1, 2014 13:33

Thanks. I read an article that talks Mick and James knew each other before the beginning of the filming. Even I think it isn't easy to adopt a lifestyle like Mick's. However my favorite song is Memo From Turner. What are your opinions about its version from Metamorphosis?

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: October 1, 2014 14:07

Silver Dagger
How can anybody on this board argue against Memo From Turner being the best song. But I sure love this one too -

thumbs up + 1. Love it.....I have a sample of it as ring tone on my phone, among others.

What a drag it is gettin' old

Date: October 1, 2014 14:47

Has any band covered MFT?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 1, 2014 15:33

LadyJane12
Has any band covered MFT?

Rich Robinson of the Black Crowes

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: October 1, 2014 15:36

The film was co-directed by Donald Cammell and Nicolas Roeg. Matter of fact the point can be made that the only person who really benefitted from this controversial film is Roeg. It is widely considered Cammell's film, but so much of what we actually see is thanks to Roeg's magic and craftmanship. Cammell's script went through many re-writes; and (I think) they ended up shooting chronologically.

Marlon Brando was initially supposed to play the role of Chas. Brando and Cammell stayed in touch for many years on, up until Cammell's suicide. His suicide itself is an amzing story; as told by his wife.
The film's myth began even before shooting. It defines it's time, and brought together the world of the Krays and the hipster world of London rock for the first time. There are elements of Borges and Artaud in the story.
It is said that Keith was very jealous, but refused to attend the set. sitting outside, writing "Gimme Shelter". The sex scenes were very explicit, Cammell insisted on them being real. Some unedited reels, that didn't make the final cut, survived; but the company that developed the reels refused to print some scenes; for being too explicit. I have read that Jagger and Anita had a love/hate relationship, and that they both welcomed a reason to get down and dirty.
Fox supposedly was going off the rails before 'Performance' came along. Cammell also had him associating with known crime figures in London before shooting started. It is said that the story of the plot, the question of duality of the soul, got to Fox. He was known as a man's man, and we can see how the film challenges this imzage, this state of being. Who knowws if this is part of the film's myth?

The film's version of "Memo" is IMO the best. A great song, that is one of Jagger's very greatest. I don't think anything else in the soundtrack comes close in imopact. except for "wake Up N*ggers".

There is a very good book on Cammell on this film by Colin McCabe.
And I believe there is a new book about to be released.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-04 07:27 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: October 2, 2014 01:06

Thanks, Palace Revolution 2000. I appreciate a lot your comment. I'd like to know when Colin McCabe shot the film. Would you like to post a clip of the movie?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 2, 2014 01:37

I recall reading recently a short note in some magazine that a Blue-ray release of Performance was in the making ... But there was no mention of bonus footage

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 2, 2014 01:56

They did an great cover of MFT

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 2, 2014 02:11

Here is a 1997 BBC documentary of Cammell, mostly concentrated on PERFORMANCE, including interviews of Cammell, Jagger, Fox, Pallenberg, Roeg, etc:

(It is first of seven parts, but the others will easily follow)

Then there is a more recent docu of PERFORMANCE, mostly critical over-view, but has Pallenberg there speaking as well:

(first of three parts)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-02 02:13 by Doxa.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: October 2, 2014 02:40

Gone dead train is one amazing song. Right up there with Memo!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 2, 2014 02:52

King Solomon Hill - The Gone Dead Train - Recorded Grafton, Wisconsin 28 May 1930

ROCKMAN

Date: October 2, 2014 13:18

Nice photo from the film.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 2, 2014 13:23

Date: October 2, 2014 14:29

Yeah, the whole soundtrack of PERFORMANCE is a cool album. Actually my favourite soundtrack with PAT GARRET AND BILLY THE KID. Both contain one monster song - "Knocking On A Heavens's Door", "Memo From Turner" - and are surrounded by fascinating, moody stuff.

- Doxa

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 2, 2014 22:08

Doxa
Yeah, the whole soundtrack of PERFORMANCE is a cool album. Actually my favourite soundtrack with PAT GARRET AND BILLY THE KID. Both contain one monster song - "Knocking On A Heavens's Door", "Memo From Turner" - and are surrounded by fascinating, moody stuff.

- Doxa

Agreed. Though Dylan performed Billy at some stage on the Never Ending Tour.

Jack Nitzsche is also behind two other great soundtracks: One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and The Hot Spot. The Hot Spot, like the Great Balls of Fire Jerry Lee biopic, has that rare distinction of being an awful film, but a great soundtrack.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 3, 2014 02:22

What furnishings and why would you care WHERE they were made?

Date: October 3, 2014 07:34

I like antique rugs, armchairs, tables and wardrobes. So I thought even the furnishing was Indian or Japanese.

Date: October 3, 2014 09:25

*were

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: October 3, 2014 09:38

jagger did a good version of robert johnson's come on in my kitchen, as i recall...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1917
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home